• Published 28th May 2018
  • 1,185 Views, 71 Comments

Sleepless Nights And Speechless Angels - thelegendarytoothpaste

  • ...
1
 71
 1,185

Dear Hearts and Gentle Ponies

Link knew he was not a particularly tall boy. Many of his fellow Kokiri stood taller. Saria was probably the tallest in the woods. Mido was the only one that was actually smaller than he was. Even when Link went forward in time, he was still barely five foot five inches tall.

He actually felt a little better around the ponies, since he knew he had no chance of outgrowing any of them.

Especially princess ponies who have no grasp on just how tall they're supposed to be. He could sort of explain away being able to understand her words, being it was a dream and all. But her height? Just get to a reasonable size and then stop! How hard does that have to be?

Big purple moon butt pony was probably about as tall as the white sun butt one he met when he was recovering with Fluttershy. Maybe a bit smaller, but only some.

She smiled down at him.

"Does my size intimidate you, my otherworldly friend? I will accommodate for you."

Her horn glowed for just a moment, and she shrunk down to his size. Now they were at eye level. Could they all do that?

He'd have to ask Twilight.

"Is that better?" she asked. He rubbed an arm sheepishly.

"Our sister spoke of you before. She finds you to be interesting. Fascinating, even. Were there an Element of Courage, it would be embodied by you."

She smiled. "Her words."

Link looked down at his hand. The triforce did not react.

"I believe you may already know me through your fosters, but in case you do not, my name is Luna. Princess of the Night."

She looked up at the moon, then back at Link with mild worry. "...and Princess of Dreams. What brought on such a night terror, little one?"

Link shrugged. Luna's ears drooped slightly, but they perked up again.
"I understand. You are not comfortable talking to a stranger, are you?"

I'm not comfortable talking, thought Link. He sometimes wondered if his voice box could catch dust.
She smiled gently at him.

"This is okay. Mayhaps we can get to know each other in time. I seek a good kinship with all my little ponies. As you live here now, this includes you."

He crossed his arms. She wasn't expecting him to bow to her, was she? He didn't even bow to Princess Zelda when he met her. Kokiri bow to none.

She seemed to be reading his thoughts, because she gave her head a small shake. "You needn't worry about royal titles or gestures. Especially in your dream scape. This is your mind. Not mine. If anyone should be showing such respect, it is I. I'm but a visitor here."

As if to accentuate her point, Luna bowed slightly.

Link relaxed a little and smiled. Luna looked out towards the ocean once more.

"It's beautiful. That building out in the water, was that your home?" asked Luna.

Link shook his head, and Luna tilted hers.
"Hmm? Where do you come from?"

"Forest," he said simply. Luna smiled.
"A forest child. Sister and I always have loved the trees."
Link was quiet.
"You simply enjoy the water, then?" asked Luna.
Link shook his head. "Nature. I respect all of it."

She gave a nod, looking almost amused. Link found no humor, though.

Luna stood up, and turned about such that Link could climb onto her back if he desired.

"Come. Let us explore more of this place. It clearly means much to you, if it haunts your dreams so."
Link hesitated. Luna seemed to read his thoughts.

"If you are worried you are keeping me from my duties, rest assured you are not. We alicorns can be in many places at once."

Link smiled. When he was recovering at Fluttershy's and her animals were all going bonkers he could swear she would apparate around and be in multiple places at once herself.
"Well? Where shall we go first?"
Link knew exactly where to go.


The Southern Swamps of Termina were buried deep within a lush forest. When he was there, he encountered many a bug and parasite. He ended up needing a three day cycle to recover from some sort of illness. Tatl had forced him to go to the doctor, who had, in addition to diagnosing him with malaria, told him that he was also apparently fighting off consumption. Apparently he had a natural immunity for tuberculosis. Just not malaria.

The bugs were aplenty in his dream as well, but at the first sign of them, Luna created some sort of barrier between them and the insects. Link was grateful.

"I am of the unpopular opinion that swamps are positively beautiful. Most ponies dislike them. Some even want to see them drained," Luna said to Link.

He frowned. He wasn't the biggest fan of swamps either, but to do anything to cause damage to them was to do unneeded damage to mother nature. Doing so was taboo. It was okay to take what you needed, including some space in the trees, but it was vital to know where the line was.

The rule extended to animal life as well. It was fine to hunt what you needed, but you were to use everything in the animal that you hunted. Let nothing go to waste. Trade off any excess you may not need to better your neighbor, but do not leave something to rot.

"Child?"
Link gave his head a gentle shake. He looked up at the moon apprehensively. It was still far far away in the sky, where it belonged.

He was nudged by one of Luna's wings. "Tell me, what is the importance of this place to you?"

He nodded, then squinted. "I was raised in the forest. I don't know where I was born."
Luna stopped in her tracks.

"Mom and Dad died when I was a baby. I was raised by the Kokiri. Mostly by Saria. She was like a mom and a big sister all rolled into one. She practically ran the village itself."

It was true. In spite of what Mido would say, Saria was always the one the other Kokiri would turn to for advice or when they needed assistance. She often acted as a Judge when a Kokiri was accused of doing something wrong. She was excellent at remaining impartial even to those she loved.

Link smiled as he looked at the trees around him.
"Not so much forest as swamp, but pretty all the same."

His smile slowly left his face as he recalled the state he found the swamps in.

He had initially intended to seal away Majora's strength but ultimately spare her any more punishment. That changed when he got a good glimpse of what she had done to his beloved woodlands.

The stench of death hung heavy in the air and a strange mist burned at his eyes. He found extensive exposure actually brought harm to his vision that would only be reversed when he went back in time. When he took on the form of the deku, the damage was negligible or nonexistent. He could breathe easier, too. Tatl told him he could thank photosynthesis for that, but he didn't know what that meant.

The water was what made him sad. When he first arrived, the swamps were poisoned. The water burned his skin when he made contact with it. Dead fish and rotted animals floated in it in such quantities that in some spots, Link just couldn't see the water period.

This disrespect towards nature was what made him decide that potentially sparing Majora was out of the question. By her hand, the very heart of nature itself was destroyed. Even though he was able to reverse her influence and end the curse, the damage her assault did on the ecology of Termina would take years to recover from.

To disrespect nature was a mortal sin. Link would take it upon himself to deliver punishment. That was why he was so adamant that the mask be destroyed as soon as possible. He saw what she would do when she had free reign. He did not wish to see again.

Luna seemed to notice him fall silent. He patted her side, just like he did Epona when she was with him.
Luna smiled. "Shall we see this beautiful land from above?"
He blinked. As if in clarification, Luna opened her wings.


They visited on wings the lands Link had ventured only three days, but had lived in for months. They talked and played and explored. Link directed her to Snowhead, which was currently experiencing its spring months. He showed her the grave of Darmani, who he said was a "dear friend and a hero to his own people."

Luna found the respect the boy had for the dead worthy of praise. When they stood before the cave which served as the mock tomb of a great Goron hero, Link removed his hat as a show of respect. He explained to her that what was really buried beneath the grave was a hot spring and a casket full of Darmani's favorite rock snacks. They could not retrieve the body from the chasm he fell into1. Link considered asking if Luna would help him do just that, but he did not wish to strain her with the heavy man. He wasn't aware at the time that Luna literally possessed the strength to move celestial bodies, so Darmani's massive frame would be of little consequence.

In the conversations Link had with Darmani's spirit in the mask, he quickly learned that, had the Goron hero managed to get into Snowhead itself, the curse would have fallen quickly. It was not something the proud Goron told him directly, but Link was able to piece together his immense strength and skill easily. Link believed that Darmani would have been able to defeat Majora herself in his stead. The Goron even offered to do so, but Link had sworn a vendetta against her once he bore witness to what she was willing to do to not only nature, but man.

He felt a pang of guilt. He hadn't given any of the spirits time to walk in his stead lately. He made a habit of putting on each mask and relinquishing control of his body to the spirits that slept within them. The Deku child adored the forest and would play and laugh the day away, Darmani enjoyed spending time in Goron City and even wrestled Darunia to a standstill, and Mikau enjoyed time in Zora's Domain, where he was well liked by Jabu-Jabu. As it was, Link had been too busy getting his affairs in order in the world he now found himself in that he didn't remember the friends he made. He resolved to give them some leeway in the woods nearby the castle, weather permitting. The deku child (Link learned his name was Neki) would be ecstatic. He wondered how Twilight would react to the deku boy.

Luna found it interesting that Link was capable of reading Goron script. She had a glimpse of some words the boy had written down for Twilight and they looked completely foreign to the lettering they now eyed.
The large gravestone simply said, "The Goron hero, Darmani the third rests his spirit here."
Luna saw it clearly, then. What respect Link showed was not necessarily just of the living for the dead.
It was the respect a warrior had for another warrior.


Luna couldn't help but feel concern.

Hinka next directed her to a large canyon. It was practically lifeless. Even the plants had a hard time blooming there. He told her of the battles that had been waged there, how most of the dirt underfoot had long ago been stained in red and how many were buried hurriedly in unmarked graves there.

It was known as Ikana Canyon, after its rulers and long dead culture of the Ikana Kingdom.

The two had continuously heard an eccentric song echo through the air and Hinka explained to her that so many had died there that the dead would rise were it not for the music. They did not stay in the canyon itself for long. Luna felt it best to take the child somewhere more lighthearted, though it was but a dream and could not harm him with her there to protect him.

She didn't see reason for a young one to know so much of death and warfare. She found it disgusting and, when she asked why he knew combat so well, he simply shrugged and said it was necessary where he came from.

She wished to see for herself. Carrying weapons was legal in Equestria when you were properly licensed, but tended to be unnecessary. The guards and police forces were very well trained and not exactly difficult to come by. Even teachers were highly trained and armed. Because of it, any attacks on schools were unheard of there.

The point of arming like that was to keep the foals safe; to eliminate exactly what Hinka had described: the need for children to carry any sort of weapon. Adults were meant to protect children and preserve their innocence, yet when she saw no innocence behind his young eyes she knew that she was with one whose authority figures had failed him. She knew little of where he came from, but she recognized a troubled soul when she saw one, and she saw one in him.

His heart was hurt. His innocence was gone. His soul needed healing. She knew that she could rest easy, however. The best ponies were already on the case.

Hinka had stopped talking. It seemed like he was very interested in war stories and combat in general. He was actually willing to talk about those topics at length as opposed to just a few sentences at a time. They explored the canyon for a short while, but when Luna asked if he wished to see the fortress she saw in the distance.
Link declined. He gave a shiver then. It was all Luna needed to know.

"You will awaken soon, little one. Where next would you like to go?"

Link looked to Clock Town in the distance. He felt he could do with seeing it again. But at the same time... there were two more graves he hadn't gone to yet. He had to visit Mikau's grave and Neki's grave still.

The words of the Zora came to mind. Mikau had told him during an outing on the Great Bay. Link had relinquished control to the musician and they were talking while Mikau swam.

It doesn't feel right to call you this, but kid? I don't know if I ever thanked you for what you did for me; for the band and Lulu's eggs. You risked your own life for the lives of those yet to be. You did exactly what I did, only you didn't get a knife to the belly for your troubles.

Mikau smiled, and dove out of the water, twirling about and enjoying the breeze on his face. Termina itself was only barely on the horizon now, but he always knew exactly where he was.

When it comes to your well being versus the well being of a kid, the kid comes first.
"In all situations," came the boy's response. "It's not so much heroic as it is the duty of those capable to protect those who can not."

And yet you yourself are out here alone.
Link was silent for a minute. Mikau frowned.

I don't mean to be insulting. I'm just trying to say that I'm sorry you didn't have a guardian with half the meddle you yourself do. Were things different I bet you'd have been taken in by any of the people you've encountered. Heck, Anju all but adopted you herself.

If Link had control of his body at that moment, he'd have blushed.
You can go to her, you know. She would love to take you in.

"I still have a wayward fairy to find."
Mikau sighed. This kid.

Just promise you'll consider putting your weapons down if you find a place that will house you. I do not mean a place that will tolerate you. I mean a place in which you feel loved. It's important.
"I always knew you were a big softie, Mikau."

The guitarist let out a wry laugh.
And I always knew you were a little turd.

They fell to silence for a few minutes as Mikau started back towards Termina.

I doubt you'll need reminding, but do what you have done. When it comes down to anything, the young get attention first.
The sun's rays reflected off the beach like a new gem.


Luna shuffled her feet nervously.

The way that tree looked... it almost looked like Hinka. It seemed so sad, too. It looked like it could start crying at any moment.

There was no light from the sun in the caverns below the town Link directed her to next. There was the glow of a few fireflies and some unusual fungi threw off some light, but it was poor lighting. Luna had to project magic into her horn and use it as a torch of sorts.

It made no sense to her. Didn't trees need her sister's sun in order to survive? This tree was quite dead; that was not the issue. What bothered her was, how did it make it past a seedling in the first place?

Her eyes wandered down to a bouquet that was resting just before the tree. She got closer and saw a few cards and long extinguished candles.

"His father loved him very much," offered Hinka.

Luna's eyes wandered to the boy. His gaze had not left the tree.

"Pray tell, child. What do you mean?"

He looked to Luna, then made a gesture towards the tree.
"He was young when he left this world. Younger than I am. He was seven."
Her blood began to run cold as she eyed the tree closely.

"Deku Scrubs love the sunlight. It gives them sustenance. They do not eat otherwise. I think she put him down here to deny him the two comforts he would have otherwise- when a Deku dies, it becomes a tree. When that tree is properly cared for, it can become something truly divine."

"Who is she? What did this to the child?"

He shook his head. "You shouldn't use her name without need. It was a murderous demon. He came across her and must have irked her, because she did this to him. She got what was coming to her in the end, but..."

Link thumbed at the hat in his hands and looked nervously at it.

"His name was Neki, and he was the child of the royal family's butler."
Link had a soft spot for the two of them. Noku, the Butler, was almost a father figure to him where Navi was his mother figure. He had a strange family.

Luna steeled herself and hid a dry sob well.

"Do you know who committed this sin?" she asked him. Link shrugged.
"She was evil incarnate. The monster saw mortals as playthings only, nothing more. She held no sanctity for life and attempted to destroy this land. Someone defeated her."

He frowned down at his hat, and found himself reciting something Majora herself had told him whenever he confronted her. He'd heard it so many times it wound up memorized.

"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work. He knows too that the worth or merit of a game is not inherent in the game itself but rather in the value of that which is put at hazard. Games of chance require a wager to have meaning at all."

Link felt light beginning to invade his consciousness. In his bed he stirred.

"Games of sport involve the skill and strength of the opponents and the humiliation of defeat and the pride of victory are in themselves sufficient stake because they inhere in the worth of the principals and define them. But trial of chance or trial of worth all games aspire to the condition of war for here that which is wagered swallows up game, player, all."

He could hear birds chirping again. The light was becoming blinding.

"War is the ultimate game because war is at last a forcing of the unity of existence."

He frowned once more at Luna, though he could scarcely see her now as his dream deconstructed itself.
"War is God."2


Luna did not count the session as too much progress. The child clearly knew much more than he let on and she was determined to get to the bottom of it. The session was a victory in one manner, though:

She now knew just how disturbed Hinka really was.

She gave her head a shake. In the distance, she swore she heard laughter.
End of Chapter

Author's Note:

1- Darmani, in his resolve to destroy the beast plaguing Snowhead and his people, was not able to make it to Snowhead itself. While rolling for Snowhead, Darmani was surprised by an exceptionally strong gust of wind. It was rare for wind to be able to move his frame, but this gust managed to send him off course. He did his best to skid to a stop and unroll and caught the edge of the ravine with his fingertips, but before he could pull himself up, the rock he was gripping broke. Darmani fell into the ravine, where he caught a stalagmite with his belly before landing back first on the icy floor. Against all odds he was able to get back to his feet and he made it but five steps before collapsing again. The last thing he heard besides his raspy breathing was the taunting laugh of a fallen goddess...

2- Block quote from Blood Meridian's antagonist.

Here she comes again when she's posting shitty story chapters instead of wasting her time on Red Dead II.

Ahem. Next chapter covers some stuff and will be up sooner than this. I hope.