• Published 28th Jul 2012
  • 1,261 Views, 25 Comments

The Dreams of Octavia and Vinyl Scratch - Silver-Brony



Vinyl and Octavia live lives they never expected, but perhaps they can find happiness in the end

  • ...
3
 25
 1,261

One night

The shadows grew longer as we trotted through the stone streets of Canterlot. I looked from side to side at the bright paint that decorated the dilapidated brick buildings. Scents of rot and drugs assaulted my nose, convincing me to breathe through my mouth. Our synchronized hooves clicking against the cooling grey road was the only sound that complimented the choir of birds. Words were left unsaid, neither of us had any left to say to each other anyway. I had nothing; he had a job, a home, and a beautiful wife. She was sweet, gentle, loving, beautiful, and perfect for him, but there was one problem with her— she wasn’t me.

Bass had found me because he needed wiring done, I mean crazy wiring. I couldn’t say no to a friend even the night after I decided to stop dreaming of clubs. I’m overjoyed that he still thinks of me, but he does for the wrong reason. We got out of the shortcut and on to a line of clubs I was all too fond with.

My heart dropped when he walked up to his building. A pure emotional waterfall crashed down on my soul, drowning out all commands my head ordered. The rods I call my limbs stood ridged as I stare up at the retro building that I once called mine.

“I’m sorry VS, but you know I’d never forgive myself for what happened. This, this is all I could think to do to try and make up.”

I let my chin drop and shook my head, tears tugging at the corners of my eyes, “You know what happened wasn’t your fault.”

“Can y…”

He didn’t have to finish that sentence to know what he was implying. I stood proud again, narrowing my eyes at his suggestion, “I’m not weak.”

Slowly I advanced, battling my emotions the entire time.


He stood awkwardly as he kicked a hoof and watched my sporadic work.

“Is there anything I can do?” he stressed ‘anything’ to the point that his boredom slapped me in the face.

I looked up at the Pegasus DJ standing in the middle of the currently well light club through all the floating wires and boxes, “If you think you can help and stay out of the way of my magic at the same time, then sure.”

He groaned loudly before returning to the bar to get drinks for us, “Nothing alcoholic if you want this place staying fire safe.”

I finished wiring the speaker I was working on before walking over to the table where he was sitting.

“You know I have to hoof it to you, under the floor speakers with color alternating dance panels is a great idea, but really, who did you expect to wire this?”

He smiled at me, “My plan was always you.”

“You’re just so insane, you know that?”

We laughed before I continued, “So, how’s the wife.”

He downed the rest of his beer before admitting, “She kicked me out of the house, and before you ask, I won’t tell you until I’m drunk and you’re finished working.”

I blinked absently at him before shrugging, finishing my drink, and returning to work.

The sun was shining high by the time I finished, and Bass had dosed off at one of the tables. I went over and shook his chair shouting, “Earthquake! Bass we gotta get out!”

When he woke up screaming and ran for the door while I collapsed on the ground laughing hysterically.

Vinyl’s eyes were squeezed shut and tearing up, but if they would have been open she could have seen the remorse buried deep in the soul of Bass through his eyes. He love his wife, a sweet mare, but she’s never been and will never be as fun as the white mare that was rolling on the floor of the club.

“You know VS, I’ve got a bed in the back if you’d like to sleep here today.”

I had to force the laughter back to talk, “No, I couldn’t.”

“Now hold on, I want you to be here when I kick off the new system. Actually,” he paused as he flew up to stand on the DJ table, “I want you to be here!”

I sighed as I returned to my hooves, “I couldn’t Bass. It’s been years, and I don’t even know if I want to DJ anymore.”

“Oh come on, it’s been to long since you’ve heard your music. One night, and I’ll leave you alone.”

“No I…”

“VS, I’ll tie you down to that table if that’s what it takes.”

“All right, but I’ll have to be up all day to adjust the table…”

He grinned, “It hasn’t been touched since you left it.”

I smiled too before going into the back and climbing into the first bed I’ve been in as long as it’s been since I DJed.


I looked down from the ceiling as the opening DJ signed off. Bass told me that he kept this safe, though no one used it since my disappearance. I couldn’t see him through the tiny square of visibility I had but I was sure he had the biggest silly grin of his on his face. When the landing stage was clear I jumped down, luckily sticking the landing and not embarrassing myself before I even started.

The entire audience gasped and clapped, not realizing who I was. Then I shouted, “Whose ready to party?!” They cheered before I continued, “Then get ready ‘cause DJ Pon-3 is in the house!”

There were gasps of recognition as I started the first track, gasps recognizing me, not the song. Even after the years it has been the table still felt like second nature to me, and I quickly got into my groove.

The flashing lights, the paneled dance floor, the true surround sound of my mixing; I remembered how fun it was. As I played I remembered also the stress and sleep deprivation the job gave me. I shook my head and ignored all my thoughts, it was DJ time.

For hours I actually enjoyed myself behind the table, the thrill of the moment washing over me. It seemed all too soon that the club was closing, and I was catching up with Bass, “Well I’m glad you let me do that.”

“Good, good. So would you be up to doing it more?”

“Bass, I could do it for you as a friend, but I want something else out of my life. Until I learn where my new calling is; I can’t do it again.”

“Okay VS, but I’ll be waiting.”

I was about to walk out the door when I remembered something, “Oh, where did you sleep last night, I thought your wife kicked you out of the house, and you said you’d tell me about that.”

He cleared his throat, “I slept on the street, but don’t mind that, you do it every night. And the reason my wife’s acting up is because when we were in bed, I mean, you know, in bed, and I said her name, or, or rather, I said, …your name…”

“Wha…?”

“O, Celestia!” he blurted out before running past me and out the door.

“Bass wait!” I shouted after him as he flew away.

Before I really had a chance to think somepony slammed into my head; making my glasses fall to the ground, and when the pony after him jumps over me, he landed right on to my glasses.

The glasses that survived everything, now nothing but a shattered heap on the ground.