• Published 28th Jul 2012
  • 1,261 Views, 25 Comments

The Dreams of Octavia and Vinyl Scratch - Silver-Brony



Vinyl and Octavia live lives they never expected, but perhaps they can find happiness in the end

  • ...
3
 25
 1,261

Epiphany

The lights weren’t flickering, not wavering in the slightest, a nice change from the building I was in two weeks ago, the only community meal house in Canterlot, and the last place I had a fulfilling meal. Tonight was a special night, I got to have a drink, a cheap one, but still, one that made my mind fuzzy. It didn’t help cheer me up, not to mention I really never enjoyed alcohol, even when I was going to clubs and during my time as a DJ. It made everything fuzzy, and I prefer to have everything as clear and defined as my music. Still, right now I can’t help but crave the fuzz; it makes it harder for me to focus on anything, including my depressingly long list of problems.

I had just finished my drink when a strange mare walked up to me, “Hey, you look like you could use a shower, and some money. Why don’t I treat you to diner at my place where you could wash up some? Then we could spend some time ‘getting to know each other closer’, if you know what I mean, there’s a few bits with that offer.”

I stared at her blankly, come on mind, work! I thought, She’s offering money for something, what is…

“No, I’m not in need of money at the moment,” I lied straight to her face, without any emotion. It was a lie, I really needed money but, but THAT! I’d rather starve.

Oookay,” she said in a drawn out fashion, “But let me at least pay for the drink, cutie.”

She dropped the money on the counter next to me. Since the bartender already got my money, this was to go in my pocket. I tilted my head back as far as I could with the glass to let the last trickle of drink flow into my mouth. I slammed the cup down and left, leaving that ‘charity’ still noisily steadying itself on the counter.


The tapestry of stars light the ex-DJ’s way as she walked around the city. She really didn’t need them, since she could walk the streets with her eyes closed, but they were still beautiful. As she persisted in occasional glances at them she decided to go to the palace gardens and admire them to burn some time, not like it was precious to her, since time was all she really had.

Since I’d never walked to the palace before, I used a simple lighting spell to ensure that I wouldn’t trip. Which I almost did a couple of times regardless, guess I don’t handle alcohol very well…

But when I got there I was so glad I came, the sheer beauty that surrounded me was amazing, so amazing that I didn’t want my mind foggy anymore; its wonder was enough to keep my mind off my problems. So using a spell in a process I’d really rather not describe; I purged myself of alcohol, and had my mind as clear as tonight’s sky in minutes. I looked up, and gazed at all the wonderful constellations I could recognize. Then I drew lines between the stars to make all the shapes more defined.

I really was astonished at how fantastic magic could be; I had always thought it was limited to simple things like light and levitation before I began to spend lots of time in the library. When I first realized I needed something to do, I decided that the library would be a good place to research things to do. That day I stayed up late enough for not only the sun to rise, but the library to open just to learn of something I could do. Once I got in, I saw a unicorn teleporting from place to place putting books back, so I asked how they did it. After showing me how, and I told her I was interested in learning more about magic; she directed me to the magic section, beginning my love of books. From then on I’ve made frequent trips to the library; though since that first time I learned to teleport, I’ve just teleport in at night instead of waiting for it to officially open. No harm in reading with the pale blue light of my horn instead of the sun. And actually I’m not the only one who does this, I’ve made a good friend in the library. Though I’d never burden her with my problems, we mainly talk about books and watch her destroy me at chess. One night she told me all about the stars, and even gave me a book about the constellations, shapes I now can draw by heart.

I laid down on my back and took in the flower aura around me. It felt like hours I was there staring at the endless beauty of the accurately graffitied sky. I still found it weird that I appreciated all of this, the reading, pretty stuff, flowery smells. I used to only think beats made beauty, but now I have a pit in my stomach from just being in this moment. A pit that was there because I knew this moment would pass.

This fantastic moment in the refreshing night air under a clear night sky filled with the drawn constellations, and the rows and rows of flowers illuminated by the soft glow of my horn as they siphon their perfect scent into the gentle night breeze that quietly whistled through the courtyard rustling the leaves of some of the most gorgeous trees I’ve seen. I closed my eyes and smiled, smiled because how wonderful a night it was. Smiled… smiled? Smiled! I actually smiled! It feels like year since I’ve done that, and it very well might have! Oh I might have grinned, but this was the first time I’ve actually smiled! I started giggling and laughing and I couldn’t stop. I laughed because I was happy, and I laughed so hard it brought tears to my eyes; what a wonderful night!

“You must be a genius, if you can be drunk and draw the constellations that perfectly,” A voice said from behind me. Well, behind me if I were standing up, they weren’t in the ground. I craned my neck to see and orange Pegasus with a purple mane, same style as me, uncombed, standing over me.

“No, I’m not…hahaha… drunk,” I replied, unable to stop laughing.

Rrright… do you need help getting home?” she persisted

I rolled back on my hooves, cleared my throat and finally got enough grip to stop laughing, “I’m not kidding you, I’m as sober as a… um… a, a… um… Oh never mind the analogy, I’m sober.”

She sighed, “What are you doing out this late anyhow?”

“I’m nocturnal, so to speak, why are you out?”

Now she laughed, “Look around, it’s a beautiful night, I couldn’t resist taking a quick flight.”

“You’re awfully grounded to be flying,” I teased.

“Well, you know, having all the stars connected by lines with a hysterically laughing unicorn lying outside the palace was as strong a beacon as your horn,” she answered with a smirk.

I laughed again.

“You said you were nocturnal, why is that?” She said, stabbing the dagger of reality into my heart.

“Less ponies,” I lied as the real reason slowly brought real tears to my eyes. “The perfect night…” I whispered as I let myself collapse to the ground, “I should have known the world would never let me have it.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to ask anything too personal,” she said.

“No, no, it’s not your fault; it’s just the world trying to keep me miserable…”

“Do you want to talk about it?” her sweetest inquired.

I was about to blurt out ‘no’ when It hit me— perhaps it was time to talk, “I just met you, and this is crazy, but yes I would like to talk about it. I warn you though, it’s a long story.”

“I’ve got time,” she said.

“Well, all this started years ago; I had a nightclub, not one I went to, my own nightclub. It was a dream come true, but back then, the only real intelligence I had was making songs was audio stuff. I could barely take care of myself, let alone run a business. Ultimately, it fell out of my hooves. After, I started to work odd end jobs to keep some income, but everything collapsed. Soon I had nothing, nowhere to turn, and no plan to fix that. I did nothing for a few weeks after that, barely ate even, but then one day, a fierce determination to do something swept over me. I went to the library to research some hobbies that could be fun that day, and that’s when I got into magic, and from there I started to gather bits of knowledge from everywhere. It doesn’t add up to anything, but it keeps me occupied. Anyway, that whole time I’ve been living on the street, starving, begging for money, freezing in the winters, and breaking into the library a little more frequently than I should.”

“Hold on,” she interrupted, “I know just how you feel; I’ve lived my life constantly waiting for something. Be it my cutie mark, the invitation to join the Wonderbolts, or for a certain somepony to pop the question; I’ve needed to work through difficult times, but I’ve always found that light at the end of the tunnel. What you need to do is raise enough money to get that club back…”

It angered me, that she thought it was that easy, so I interrupted her shouting, “Then what! It’ll just keep exploding in my face! Like, like everything always does…”

“You know being strong isn’t about how big your muscles are, rather one’s ability to preserver when all odds are against them. If you work hard enough, then you can get your club b…”

Then it clicked. She talked about the club, the mosh pit, the heat, the loud music and bright lights. My life as it was, but I wasn’t sure that’s what I wanted, “And if I do, what do I do then, spin records for hot, sweaty mosh pits again? What about all this?” I asked, gesturing to our serene surroundings, “I’ve learned the true beauty of night, of nature, and of magic. How can I go back? That club pony is who I was, not who I am.”

“Then I guess you should start by asking yourself who are, and what do you want.”