• Published 7th May 2018
  • 4,299 Views, 23 Comments

The Missing Link - FlareGun45



After realizing Smolder has not been attending class at the School of Friendship for a day, Spike tries to get to the bottom of her personal family problems.

  • ...
8
 23
 4,299

Dragon Tales

It's been several months since Twilight Sparkle has opened up the School of Friendship. Even though it has had its ups and downs, the school has been running very successfully, and most of the students have gotten along very well! One Friday afternoon, Twilight was running one of her history classes along with Spike helping her out.

"Good afternoon, class!" Twilight greeted her students.

"Good afternoon, Professor Sparkle." The other students said with mixed emotions.

"Today I have my number one assistant, and Vice Headmaster, Spike here to assist me in this next history lesson I have for all of you. Now last class, we were talking about the sea serpent, but now we are here to talk about a very similar species! I'm sure at least one of you in the class are very interested in this lesson!" She giggled. "Spike, if you please continue."

"Gladly!" Spike said as he climbed up on Twilight's podium as Twilight stepped aside. "Today we are here to talk about the most noble creature of all of Equestria, but as tough as they seem, and scary... sometimes, and... errr, well you get my point. Twilight and I are here to discuss about the History of Dragons!"

"YAK HAS DRAGON FRIENDS!" Yona yelled from her seat.

"We know you do, Yona." Spike said. "And might I add, both of your dragon friends are very strong in terms of friendship, but very different in many ways. Thanks to Smolder, I was able to learn a little bit about myself! As you know, I didn't always have these wings; I had to go through a very tough, and also very embarrassing, procedure before I was able to get them. Smolder, mind if you tell the class what the condition is called?" There was no answer from Smolder. Spike then cleared his throat and said, "Smolder, care to tell the class about the procedure I had to go through before I finally got my wings?" There was still no answer. The other students were a little curious, and so was Twilight.

"Uh, Sandbar? Ocellus?" Twilight asked. "Where is Smolder?"

"I haven't seen her all day, Professor Sparkle." Sandbar said.

"I haven't seen her since this morning at the dorm." Ocellus said. "She said for me to go on ahead to breakfast and she'll catch up, but she hasn't come at all."

"That is odd." Twilight said. "I told Smolder ahead of time of what we were doing today, she seemed rather excited at the time. Is she sick?"

"Sick in yak standards? No." Yona said. "Sick in dragon standards? Hmm, maybe."

"She actually looked physically okay, but she sounded rather quiet." Ocellus said.

"Well, we'll talk about this after class. We should really continue on with the lesson." Twilight said. "Spike, if you please continue?"

"Huh?" Spike asked as he seemed distracted. "Oh, right. The condition I had to go through was known as the 'Molt Effect'. Smolder told me that every dragon goes through it in their early teen years."

After class finished, Twilight, Spike, Ocellus, Silverstream, and Yona went over to their dorm to check on Smolder. Twilight knocked on the door and called out, "Smolder? Are you in there? It's Professor Sparkle." There was no answer. "Smolder? You haven't shown up to class at all today. The other professors said that you haven't shown up to their classes either. Mind if we have a talk?" There was still no answer. "You're not in trouble, Smolder. Just please open the door."

"Smolder, please! We're really worried about you." Ocellus said.

"Yeah, class just isn't the same without our friend!" Silversteam said.

"Yak never miss class! Dragon, much like yak, never miss class either!" Yona said.

"GO AWAY!" Smolder yelled from the other side of the door.

"Smolder, if you have any issues whatsoever, I will be happy to help you out with them." Twilight explained. "If you please just open the door, I promise I will not rest until your issue is resolved."

"There is nothing you can do, Professor Sparkle." Smolder said. "He isn't coming back."

"Wait, who's 'he'?" Ocellus asked.

"GO AWAY!" Smolder repeated.

"Let's just leave her alone for now." Twilight said. "I need to talk to all of you about Smolder. Spike, if you can try to get her to open up, I will really appreciate it."

"Will do!" Spike accepted.

Author's Note:

In this first chapter, we realize Smolder has a problem! What could her problem be?