• Published 5th Oct 2012
  • 1,245 Views, 21 Comments

The Paths We Choose - discord7



Rainbow Dash achives her goal of becoming a wonderbolt, but is it really what she wanted in life...

  • ...
4
 21
 1,245

Fame

The wind rushed through my mane as I went faster and faster, the sound of the crowd roaring in my ears. I had been a Wonderbolt for a month now and I had already had an eighty-six percent win streak. I was the one to put sure money on but if I lost, which I hated loosing, money was lost and dreams werte crushed. This time I came in first, zooming past the finish line by a landslide, preforming a spiral as I swept across. That was my signature win move, nopony else had ever done it so I decided I needed to be the first to come up with something to symbolize my victories.

The crowd cheered as I exited the track to get to the showers.

"Good match Rainbow." Soarin clapped a hoof on my back.

"Thanks." I replied.

Spitfire walked beside me to the shower room, she simply smiled.

"What?" I found myself turning red.

"Haha, nothing Dash." she went ahead.

I was begining to takeoff to my Wonderbolt issued cloudhome, when I heard somepony calling me.

"RAINBOW WAIT!" I turned around to see Scootaloo.

"Scoots what are you doing here?" I laughed, I was actually a little creeped out from wondering how she even got here.

"I took a baloon," that explained it, "I had to see one of your races for myself." she said.

"That's great kid, listen I've had a long day I'll see you later ok?" I told her. I prepared to take off when...

"Rainbow?" the tone in her voice stopped me.

Her wings were down and so were her ears. I could have sworn her eyes were even begining to water.

"When are you comming back to Ponyville?" she asked. I pondered the question, if I did go back I wouldn't just go back for her I'd go back for my friends. I had to see them to tell them about my awesome adventures as a Wonderbolt.

"Hmmm, maybe next week sometime. OK?" I told her, her face lit up with delight.

"Maybe you can teach me to fly?" she sputtered on.

I laughed, "Ya, maybe." she turned and ran off.

She was a really strange filly, I wondered why she was always following me around. Why was she up here alone, hadn't her mom come with her to supervise. I didn't know but I had to get home I had a big day tomorrow, I'd be getting my very first team photo of me with the Wonderbolts as the newest member.

The next day we gathered in the Cloudsdale photo acadamy. It was actually a competition for the young photographers for them. They were compeating to see who could get the best picture of us, the winner would have his or her picture posted in the Equestria Daily newsletter covering my upward rise toward fame with the Wonderbolts.

After we left Soarin and Fleetfoot took off, Spitfire stayed to talk with me.

"So Rainbow," she began, "the rest of the team and I are having a get together at Soars place you in?"

"Heck ya!" I replied almost immediately. I had only heard stories of how crazy the parties got, from Wonderbolts themselves of course. Only exclusive members of the Wonderbolts and a few guests were ever invited.

"Good be at Soarins at eight." she said and took to the skies.

I beamed as I watched her take off toward the sunset.

I was so jealous of her house, the Bolts management had given her the house highest in Clousdale, every night she could just look out the window and watch Celestia set the sun. Must be an amazing site to be so close to a feat of magic like that.

"Um, miss Dash?" a young colts voice snapped me from my thoughts.

"Huh?"

"Uh, could I have your autograph?" he held up a picture of me.

It wasn't the first time I'd given an autograph, but this time was different. Before I was giving them out for self satisfaction, now it was to please those loyal fans who watched me and were inspired. It wasn't for self satisfaction it was now for inspiration, to inspire those youth who looked up to me to become all they could be. Just like when I was a filly and looked up to the Wonderbolts. Now I was living that fantasy life. I had to help pass it on.

"Sure kid who am I making this out to?"

I signed the picture and he took off thanking me wildly.

I laughed to myself, this was one awesome lifestyle.

Almost immediately after the kid left a crowd had begun to form. Fillies and colts of all ages surrounded me asking for my autograph.

"Woah, woah one at a time!" I said to the growing crowd.

I don't know how long I stayed there signing photoes of myself, listening to little kids tell me how they wanted to be just like me.

I looked up to wipe my forehead and saw the sun setting behind the horizon.

I looked up at the clock that protruded from the town square.

"Oh horse feathers!" I panicked seeing that it was almost nine!

I unfurled my wings and sped towards Soarins place.

It only took a few minutes but the pounding in my heart seemed to slow time making it feel like hours. I finally got there and knocked on the door. Spitfire answered and laughed.

"What?" I said curious as to what was so funny, "So I'm a little late."

"Haha, it's not that. Besides nopony arrives at a party on time." she said, "You should really get the the restroom to clean up."

I followed her into the bathroom and looked in the mirror. I could see what she was talking about, I was sweaty, my mane was now more scruffy than usual. I splashed water in my face and washed a little and used a towel to dry myself off. I saw Spitfire cackling silently in the corner.

"What?" I asked, I found myself saying that more around her than with anypony else, probably because she didn't say much, he communication was almost compleatly implied.

"No go ahead make yourslef at home." she said.

I realized she was being sarcastic. I put down the towel after drying myself off and realized that I was being a little grabby with Soarins stuff.

I straigtened my mane a little more and made sure I was presentable and prepared to leave.

"Ready?" she asked.

I nodded, she opened the door and was immediately greeted with the pounding of bass from the speaker system from downstairs.

I joined Spitfire at a table with Fleetfoot.

"Hey RD. What took ya so long?" Fleetfoot asked me.

"Got caught by fans." I replied.

She and Spitfire cracked up, "That tends to happen if you don't leave an area almost immediately." she told me.

We sat around chatting it up and listneing to the music, I looked over and saw Vinyl was at the turntables.

What the hay? I was going to ask but saw that remembered that Twilight had once cast a cloudwalking spell on the others to see the young flyers competition. The party went on for the rest of the night, a lot of dancing chatting and all around good times. I got home and got in bed satisfied with my overall lifestyle. I could get used to this. I could get used to being famous.