• Published 25th May 2018
  • 401 Views, 2 Comments

Crystal Note - The Crystal Faire - TalkingToMyself



Ponies from all over Equestria are invited to the Crystal Empire to celebrate the annual Crystal Faire. Together with her new friends from Ponyville, Crystal Note joins to play a concert during the faire in which old traditions meet new expectations.

  • ...
 2
 401

Setting up

The market plaza was busy with ponies as the stands for faire where set up. With the last train, a troop of ponies from other towns had arrived, including the large group of vendors from Appleloosa and multiple ponies who looked like they would join the joisting tournament.


Most of the outside ponies used the time for a little sightseeing, but Appleloosa went straight to work. They started building up a huge stand, far bigger than the booths and tents of the crystal ponies around them, with a large field kitchen in the middle of it. The earth ponies from the south carried in crates of apples and all sorts of goods which made the crystal ponies throw curious glances at them. Especially when they set up a large cauldron on a cooking fire and a heavenly scent surrounded their stand.


The crystal ponies kept to themselves and finished their work in small groups. Of course, they've seen ponies of other tribes in their Empire during the Equestria Games, but that had been different. The crystal faire was an old crystal pony tradition, as old as the Empire itself. For the tribe that had vanished for centuries and lived secluded for decades even before, it had to feel strange to suddenly share this even with strangers from the south. Unsurprisingly, some crystal ponies felt conflicted about the Princess' decision to invite other tribes to their faire.


While the earth ponies from Appleloosa chatted and laughed happily, the crystal ponies worked quietly, although the noise and bustle from the large stand made them throw looks at it, ranging from fear and irritation to blank curiosity.
Crystal Note watched from the centre of the stage and bit her lip. She knew those stares very well, she’d seen most of them directed at herself on earlier visits. The underline tension and fear of the crystal ponies seemed almost tangible to her and it worried her. Rose Quartz had told her how excited everypony had been when preparing the last crystal faire, but this was almost the complete opposite of it.
She hoped that the mood would change in time for the big ceremony. The crystal heart was fuelled by the light inside the crystal ponies, but at the moment she couldn’t see much of it yet.


“Hey Crissy! Help us out here, will ya?”
Vinyl’s raspy voice cut through her rambling thoughts and pulled her back on stage. Vinyl Scratch and Neon Lights finished setting up microphones as well as Vinly’s set of turntables. In the back of the stage, Bon Bon, Lyra and Clear Skies already put some of the props in place for tomorrow. Crystal Note took the place at the main microphone Vinyl was pointing at
“Let’s do a little check and see if everything works. Got a song for us?”
Crystal Note nodded and closed her eyes, but another call from Vinyl stopped her from singing
“And don’t you dare go for one of your sad songs!”
She blushed under Neon’s snickering as Vinyl put on her headphones and gave her a sign with her hoof.


She hesitated for a moment. Normally she would just sing what’s on her mind, but Vinyl was right of course. A sad song would maybe help her sort out her thoughts, but it wouldn’t put the ponies around her in a better mood. And despite the fact that not every crystal pony thought she belonged here, Crystal Note knew that their happiness mattered far more than her own. It has always been that way, even before she became a crystal pony.


A memory came to her mind, of a group of fillies laughing and playing together, and of an old song they sung together, with just a few tweaks to make it more upbeat. Following her guts, she closed her eyes and started to sing


Wherever you go
Whatever you do
shouldn't you know, I'm bound to follow


Like fire and wood
Like paper and glue
I give you a clue, I’m gonna follow


And the stars will show,
Where the waters flow
Where the gardens grow
That's where I'll meet you.


And the sun will glow,
Melting all the snow,
Knowing all I know
That's when I'm with you.


Crystal Note kept her eyes closed and went for another verse of the song when Vinyl Scratch mixed in an upbeat tune from her turntables.


The crystal ponies looked up from their work, their attention drawn in by the song. It was an old song from a time when the Crystal Empire had not been ruled by an evil unicorn king. Most of the crystal ponies had learned this song from their parents or grandparents even, passed from generation to generation.
Although the song wasn’t exactly the same, it was similar enough for them to recognize and remember. It seemed strange to see a unicorn sing their old song, but then something changed. The earth ponies, unicorns and pegasi from the south probably wouldn’t even notice it, the change was far too sublime, but for the crystal ponies it was visible.


Crystal Note sung with all her heart. The timid and tiny voice they had come to know of her was now strong and vibrant. And as she sung, her body seemed to light up and sparkles danced over her coat and her mane. Through her song, she embraced the light inside her and her body showed the signs.
Just like any other crystal pony would.


In the crowd, the ponies exchanged a glances and mumbles. Most seemed surprised, other fascinated, some frankly confused. Only a few seemed opposed. The fact that a crystal pony, even if she had a horn, was still a crystal pony like them surely called forth some mixed emotions.


The song ended and Crystal Note’s voice faded through the speakers. Vinyl gave her a sign that sound check went well, so Crystal Note stepped away from the microphone and back to the edge of the stage. Her eyes fell back to the crowd of ponies, now chatting and laughing with each other. Nearly everypony was smiling and she could even see some of the crystal ponies mingling with the visitors from Equestria.


“Well, we’re all set up and ready to go.”
Vinyl Scratch and Neon Lights joined her, soon followed by Lyra and Bon Bon. Clear Skies hovered behind them with the help of her wings as the watched the ponies setting up the rest of the faire
“Seems like there’s still a lot left to do.”
“I’ll say.”
They watched the busy bustling for a while longer and Neon Lights put in words what they were all thinking
“Well, since we’re half a day ahead of schedule, what are we waiting for?”
Lyra and Vinyl nodded, Bon Bon and Crystal Note exchanged a look
“Let’s do this.”


The six friends jumped down from the stage and went to work. Bon Bon and Lyra approached a stallion who had just arrived with a cart full of crates and baskets. The stallion stared at them for a moment but at Bon Bon’s disarming smile, he just shrugged and thanked them as they helped unload the goods.
Neon Lights and Clear Skies headed to an almost set up booth with a mare who tried to climb up and put on some decorations. Before she could fall down, Clear Skies took over and easily set the pennant on the top of the booth, thanks to her wings. Neon Lights handed her more flags and streamers with his magic and with a few pointers from the crystal mare, the booth was fully set up within a few minutes.


Vinyl and Crystal Note meanwhile found a pair of ponies who struggled with setting up one of the bigger tents all by themselves. They each took a rope and helped them stretch out the flysheets which gave them a thankful smile from younger of the crystal ponies. Even with four ponies, they still struggled from the size of the tent, so Vinyl used her magic as an extra pair of hooves.
“Vinyl, like this.”
Crystal Note’s horn glowed and her turquoise magic moved the strings to attach them properly. She worked slowly and her brows furrowed in concentration as she directed her magic. Vinyl grinned and took care of the rest with far more ease, she had way more practice in magic after all.
The crystal ponies stepped back as soon as they noticed magic, both with wary expressions. However, once they tested the tent’s sturdiness, they both smiled and thanked them sincerely.


The six friends moved on and offered their help where they could. While Clear Skies had no troubles showing off her wings and flying skills, Vinyl and Lyra used their magic in moderation. Some crystal ponies still were wary of the unicorns and Lyra had learned her lesson the other day with Sour Berry.
Once Crystal Note was aware of the stares, she stopped using her magic and relied on her hooves instead. However, she didn’t stop smiling and like the day before, she was greeted by many crystal ponies with her name and some friendly chatter.


They kept working and helping for a few hours. At some point, Bon Bon started to hum a familiar tune. Lyra picked it up as well, and Crystal Note was the one to put words to the melody


A true, true friend helps a friend in need
A friend will be there to help you see
A true, true friends helps a friend in need
To see the light that shines form a true, true friend


The six friends from Ponyville joined in singing and soon, more of the ponies around them did as well. Encouraged by the song, the crystal ponies reached out to help one another, just like they always had. Crystal Note felt a wave of relief as the song washed away the tension she noticed earlier and the crystal ponies around her started to glitter and shine, just like her.


Eventually the song ended but the crystal ponies immediately started another one. Crystal Note recognized the melody from her foalhood and joined in right away while her friends needed a few minutes to pick it up. When the sun started to set, nearly all of the faire was finally set up and ready.
The friends from Ponyville and the crystal ponies admired their work when they heard a loud voice with a southern drawl call out from the middle of the market plaza
“Soup’s on, everypony! Get them while it’s hot!”
Everypony turned to the large stall from Appleloosa where the earth ponies gave out bowls of food from the big cauldron over the fire.


Crystal Note and her friends approached and Lyra took a whiff of the scent that made her grin widely
“Is that what I think it is?”
The earth pony with the white cowboy head winked as she passed a bowl to her
“Sure is! Famous Appleloosa chili, as hot as you can’t get it nowhere else!”
“Sweet!”


The crystal ponies, now far less shy but even more curious, took some of the offered food as well. A group of young ponies gathered near the friends and was about to eat when Bon Bon chimed in
“Fair warning: If you don’t do well with spicy foods, be careful with that.”
“Or you might end up like them.”
Crystal Note giggled and pointed with her hoof at Lyra, Clear Skies and Vinyl Scratch.


The three each had a bowl of chili in front of them and stared at each other with some serious game faces. On a signal from Neon Lights, they started shovelling down the chili as fast as they dared.
The results were immediate. After only a few spoons, Lyra’s eyes started watering and Clear Skies had drops of sweat on her brow. Vinyl kept her poker face behind her sunglasses, but her face slowly turned from white to pink and soon red.


The audience watched curiously, but the race was soon over. Lyra was the first one to drop her spoon and yowl out
“Can’t take it anymore! Too… spicy…”
Clear Skies followed only a moment later and started to fan some air to her face with her wings while she panted
“Hot, hot, hot, HOT!”
Vinyl grinned and basked in her victory for a few seconds before she let herself collapse on the ground and started panting as loud as the others.


The Appleloosan ponies guffawed loudly and their laughter seemed infectious to crystal ponies around them. Several glasses of water later, the three combatants managed to grin and smile along as the watched some brave crystal ponies try their luck with the spicy chili as well, with similar results.
In the end, everypony cheered for those who could finish a whole bowl.


Once sated, the crowd quickly broke up as the ponies went to their homes. Tomorrow was the day of the faire and everypony wanted to get some rest.
Crystal Note and her friends thanked the earth ponies from Appleloosa for dinner, before they made the short way back to the palace themselves. Tomorrow would be their big day as well.