• Published 4th Apr 2018
  • 359 Views, 1 Comments

An Anthology of Interest - AaronLancs



MLP: FiM / MLP:EG and fandom as seen through my prism.

  • ...
 1
 359

Sunset Shimmer and The Engineering Problem

Author's Note:

Yes I know that I was going to do a story either based upon a "Random / Opposites Day" premise or a Rainbow Dash missing book story.

Both of those will feature later on in the anthology but not at the moment, one resolved itself too easily and the other, well ran out of momentum.

Aaron.

Sunset Shimmer was in the Canterlot High Library wondering what her next journal entry shall be.

Shall it be long and give the great writers a run for their money?

Would it be a quick hello akin to the classic one sheet pages we all do?

The bell rang for the next lesson and put it on the back burner, for now. She had some form of engineering to do. Well, she knew she had to put one thing into another and then into another thing to create a chain of some form, so she had some classwork to do.

> SEVERAL HOURS LATER <

Back in the same location in CHS Library, she knew just what to say to the Princess on the other side of the portal.

Hi Twilight,

No weirdness stuff of late to comment on but at least in Ponyville you don't have to deal with combustion engines and the mathematics that go with them. Give me the workings of a cart over a car any day. My head hurts.

Plus do you have one simple guide to the stuff? Many thank yous for what you have got or can give.

Regards,
Sunset.

Later on, the book vibrated like her cellular telephone. She checked out the latest reply.

Hey Sunset,

Just to inform you. This book isn't really meant to be your own personal complaints column. :-)

If you want with regards to combustion engineering me to come through with about thirty books on the subject. Send me a request and I'll help you.

Yours,
Twilight.

Sunset's head just dropped onto the table and said. "Why can't engineering be easy?"

A gentle voice called from the next table along. "Eeyup."

"Wait," said Sunset. "I thought you knew all things about engineering?"

As Big MacIntosh came over he offered his help on the subject. "Well I don't have any problems with the subject per se. But all that I needed to do was learn the basics and the complicated stuff will follow along quite easy."

"So how did you learn it?"

> THE NEXT DAY <

At Apple Acres, Big Mac lead Sunset to his flat bed truck. The very same one the she and her friends washed to get that years students to Camp Everfree.

"Right," Big Mac pointed to a simplified diagram on a board. "Here is a piston, it moves up and down causin' a spark of some kind and that is all I have to know at least. Plus if it needs replacing, I follow an Hays Workshop Manual to know what to do."

"What about all of the crazy math stuff?"

"Probably, that is trying to get other students excited in the fields of space engineering or stuff like that. All I need to know is that it will work and that I have a book to reference."

Sunset said after some thought, "Hmm, so I don't have to freak out too much."

> A FEW DAYS LATER <

Sunset was considering the latest entry and wrote.

Hiya,

You told me you have around thirty books on the subject. I just have to know what is covered in one book and not to worry about things too much.

After doing a look at how it was designed, it was aimed at getting those who wanted a bit more food for thought for their lesson.

Yours,
Sunset.