• Published 19th Apr 2018
  • 510 Views, 18 Comments

Prisoner of Butterfly Island - Magic Step



Twilight Sparkle has never left Butterfly Island. All her friends have told her she's missing nothing. But then a stranger, Starlight Glimmer, tells Twilight everything she knows is false, and provides Twilight a way to escape. Assuming she needs to.

  • ...
0
 18
 510

Trust is Everything

Forty minutes later, Songbird Serenade’s impromptu concert was over. Everypony tried to have general conversations about how happy they were that she was here, and how much they were looking forward to the party.

“Pinkie Pie!” Twilight Sparkle said, weaving over to her pink friend. Pinkie Pie had been unusually crazy with her dancing. Well, she was always crazy, but something was different now. She couldn’t exactly articulate what. “Pinkie Pie… I’m so sorry about your friend Party Favor and your sister Marble.”

“They’re fine,” Pinkie Pie said. “Everypony’s fine. They’re just in the wasteland and I probably will never ever see them again but who cares!? We have a party to plan Twilight! A PARTY!” She shook Twilight’s shoulders.

“W-we already planned it!” Twilight said. “It’s all ready!”

“Yeah, but I just had a great idea for a water slide!” Pinkie Pie screamed. “I have to get it ready!”

“We already have a water slide; don’t you want to say goodbye to the Cakes with me?” Twilight asked.

“No, Twilight, I just… I just can’t do this anymore!” Pinkie Pie inhaled sharply and shut her eyes tight. For a moment, she sounded like she was struggling to breathe. Then, suddenly, she ran out of the cave like it was on fire.

“Pinkie!” Twilight cried, pursuing her friend out of the cave. But when she reached the beach outside, she couldn’t see a flash of pink anywhere. The sea air ruffled her mane as she scanned for Pinkie Pie, but the beach looked abandoned.

“Twilight?” Applejack asked, making Twilight jump. “You okay?”

Twilight Sparkle turned around to study Applejack’s concerned expression. What was even the point? “Didn’t she seem upset to you?”

“Yes.” Applejack said bluntly. “But you being there will make it worse. Poor girl needs time alone. Please, Twi.”

Twilight stared at her, confused. She sounded so much like herself…

***

It had been a day much like any other. With the help of Applejack’s siblings, they’d wrangled that morning’s batch of invading changelings. The six teenage friends were drinking apple cider by the beach at sunset to unwind, when suddenly Flash Sentry had coincidentally arrived, and had tripped over Twilight, spilling her cider everywhere.

Twilight had yelled at him for nearly a minute straight. Flash tried to interrupt several times trying to say the same forced pun about running into each other and each time it only made Twilight angrier. Finally Flash had left, sulky and angry.

Her friends expressed disappointment in her for being so mean to him when he clearly liked her. They tried to encourage her to give him a chance… repeatedly and excessively.

Twilight insisted that she thought he was a creep. That she thought he was selfish and didn’t really like her for her. That she thought they had nothing in common and no basis for a relationship except that he thought she looked cute. That he didn’t at all match her criteria for a relationship and she wasn’t that picky anyway. That no, she didn’t even want to just give him one date, because that would be encouraging him to keep following her around and don’t think she hadn’t noticed and how could her friends keep taking his side over hers?

They wouldn’t let up. They kept insisting she had to give him a chance, that she owed it to him for his devotion to her, that she was being mean spirited for not even giving him a chance.

And Twilight found herself crying. She felt like the whole world was against her and forcing her into a relationship she didn’t want and she had no choice but to comply. Her friends abruptly fell silent.

“Why do I have to date him?” Twilight sniffled. “It’s not like leaving the island. There’s not a prophecy making me, is there?”

After a moment, Rarity sighed and walked over, taking Twilight’s hooves in her own. “We didn’t want to tell you because we hoped we could just talk you into it. But, dearie, you’re right-”

“Oh, Ah can’t take it anymore!” Applejack shouted, standing up. “Look at poor Twilight! What right do we all have to make her do something she doesn’t want to do?”

“But it’s a prophecy-” Fluttershy whispered.

“It’s all a lie, Twilight! There’s no prophecy and there’s no island and there’s no elements of Harmony!”

Everypony gasped. Rainbow Dash quickly picked her up and tried to zip away, but Applejack clung to a palm tree with all the strength in her earth pony body.

“It’s nothing but a lie to make ponies happy! Nothing in this world is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal!”

As Rainbow Dash snapped her grip and dashed away with her, Applejack’s final word echoed through the skies.

***

“You’re still letting that bother you, sugarcube?”

The six ponies were in the grooming parlor playset, getting ready for the party. They’d sing a musical number in a few minutes, but for now they could talk. The walls gradiated from plum at the bottom to aqua near the ceiling and were covered with mirrors of all sizes. There were three blow dryers and a mane-twisting chamber with hooks on the ceiling and many sinks and showers for washing manes. The one wall not dedicated to mirrors was filled with shelves lined with glittery crystal bottles of magic beauty potions.

Daffidaisy was gently rolling Twilight’s mane into curlers. Applejack had already been done and was sitting next to Twilight, reading a rodeo magazine.

“Ah already told you, Twilight,” Applejack continued, “it was just... a little breakdown. Ah… Ah just got so upset about the fake prophecy about you and Flash Ah just didn’t know what to believe anymore. Rainbow was only trying to protect you because she thought Ah’d gone completely off my rocker.”

“You’ve said,” Twilight Sparkle said. “Your story never varies…”

“Anyway, why worry about it?” Rarity said from where she was getting a shampoo. “That false prophecy maker has already been dealt with. Shining Armor got rid of him for good.”

“I’m not worried about Flash anymore!” Twilight shouted. “It’s about Applejack…”

“There’s nothing to worry about, Twi,” Applejack said, reaching over to stroke Twilight’s foreleg comfortingly. “Ah’m here, and Ah’m fine again. There’s nothing we can’t face when we’re all together.”

That’s what Applejack had been reassuring her ever since that day. And there was no solid reason why Twilight should suspect otherwise.After all, if this wasn’t Applejack, who could it be? Ponies didn’t just have clones lying around. And how could everypony on the island agree so unanimously to fool Twilight like this?

“Twilight? You’re twitching,” Fluttershy said. “It’s actually rather scary.”

“A-am I? S-s-sorry,” Twilight said, trying to steady her nerves. Tonight was not the night to think about this. “Can we sing our party preparation song now?”

The six performed a harmonious rendition of This Is Our Big Night. Daffidazey was moved to tears.

Without missing a beat in the song, they traveled to Rarity’s house to don the brand new ball gowns Rarity had made in her sewing room. Every set of dresses they made was always more elaborate than the last one; Twilight occasionally missed the blue starry dress that she’d worn to her award ceremony after her first changeling kill, but everypony knew it was bad luck to wear the same dress twice.

This dance’s theme was birds of paradise so they all had super feathery dresses. Twilight’s was made of fluffy white feathers edged in purple and orange; she appreciated the sunset effect and the wordplay it made with her name. She worried she’d be tickled all through the night though.

Fluttershy’s peacock dress was stunning, as was Rarity’s dress made of fuschia feathers. Rainbow Dash had been turned into a macaw, while Pinkie Pie’s dress was a ball of fluffy plum and pink stripes. Applejack’s dress was mostly yellow with a hint of green and a few black stripe accents to look like a parakeet.

The six assembled in a choreographed formation to sing the last part of the final verse. Then Pinkie Pie enthusiastically hugged everypony.

“This is going to be such an awesome night!” she cried happily.

“Pinkie, are you… sure you’re okay?” Twilight asked as they left Rarity’s place.

“Please don’t ask me that, Twilight,” she said in an oddly calm voice. “I just want to party and not think about how... disappointed... I am…”

“Okay. I just don’t want you to be sad. You can tell me anything.” Twilight hugged Pinkie Pie, who felt unusually stiff.

“R-right,” Pinkie Pie said. “Oooh, look, lanterns!”

“You set those up yourself,” Twilight Sparkle said.

“Y-yeah, I know, but, but, but they look so much prettier in the dark!” Pinkie Pie bounced up to the strings of paper lanterns to get a better look.

The party was a grand outdoor ball after their original venue had been covered in chocolate fondue in a wacky misadventure. Strings of lanterns hung from every palm tree. Several snack tables were arranged around the clearing covered in elaborate tableclothes and ribbon and lace, because Rarity had said she’d needed something to do to distract herself from… something she didn’t want to say. The refreshments had been the funnest part to prepare: pineapple upside down cupcakes, key lime bars, coconut macaroons, fruit kabobs, and so much more. Plus three kinds of punch. The dance floor in the center was cleared and from a stage, a small band was warming up. Apparently Songbird Serenade would sing a little more later, like they hadn’t already heard enough from her.

Right now Big Macintosh and Sugarbelle were slow dancing together while everyone oohed and ahhed about what a cute couple they were and how they were sure this relationship would last forever, like Marble Pie had never existed. Pinkie Pie was busying herself with increasingly minor chores and wouldn’t let Twilight help.

Twilight found Mr. and Mrs. Cake sharing a carrot cupcake. Both were smiling, but Mr. Cake’s looked forced and Mrs. Cake had tears in her eyes. Their children were sleeping by their side.

“Oh, Twilight!” Mr. Cake said as she approached. “Don’t worry about two old ponies like us. Get out and dance and have fun!”

“But I’m going to miss you,” Twilight said. “This is all so sudden. Can’t you stay another few days?”

“We wish we could, dearie,” Mrs. Cake said. “Celestia knows we wish we could…”

“There you go on about this ‘Celestia’ again,” Twilight said. “You tell me she’s a benevolent goddess somewhere out there but if she knows you want to stay and is so powerful she lights the sun, why can’t she help you stay?”

“It’s… complicated,” Mrs. Cake said, looking off into the middle distance. “Let’s not talk about that. Go have some fun for us, please….”

“Why are you leaving your children here?” Twilight asked.

“The wastelands are no place for a child,” Mr. Cake said decisively.

“But they must be; everyone except me was born there,” Twilight said. “And why are you spending your last days here eating carrot cake? I thought carrots were a wasteland vegetable and you have plenty there; why not have some tropical fruits that you can’t get there?”

“Twilight…?” Mrs. Cake said. “Why do you sound so confrontational?”

“Can you please just let us enjoy this moment!?” Mr. Cake said.

Twilight reflexively glared in annoyance at being cut off, then realized they were right. “Sorry… I should just… dance or something.” Then, quickly, she hugged both of them around the neck. “If I don’t get to say this later, thanks so much for all the great memories, for all the great ice cream, for always be willing to listen when I have problems…. I love you both so much and I’m going to miss you so much… please say you’ll come back for the next party?”

Slowly, first Mrs. Cake, then Mr. Cake hugged her back.

“We wish we could promise that,” Mrs. Cake said. “We’ll miss you and…. And the little twins…” Then she was too overcome to talk.

“You’re such an angel Twilight,” Mr. Cake said. “I’m sorry I snapped at you.”

“It’s… it’s okay. The world doesn’t revolve around me,” Twilight said, nervously laughing. Slowly she released them from her hug. “Come back and visit? Please?”

“As soon as we can,” Mr. Cake said, and Mrs. Cake nodded.

Twilight smiled at them sadly and returned to the general party area.

“How can you look so bummed out, Twilight?” Rainbow Dash asked as she and the Wonderbolts soared overhead. “Isn’t this party the most epic thing ever?”

Twilight Sparkle tried to smile, but her heart wasn’t in it. It seemed hardly fair; everypony had worked so hard to put this party together because she was feeling sad, and now she was going around moping.

Cupcakes. She needed some cupcakes. Those would make her happier. They always made everypony happier.

When she reached the table, nopony else was around. The cupcake tree was half-eaten, so she examined it for a while, trying to pick the best flavor.

I know what you want.”

Twilight started. “H-hello?”

Shh,” the strange female voice whispered, echoing through Twilight’s head like normal sound didn’t. “Everypony will think you’re talking to yourself.

Twilight looked around wildly. “Wh-who?”

No talking; just listening. I know how to speak telepathically; you don’t. I’ve been watching you, Twilight. I know how much you want to leave the island. Oh, I know what you’re thinking: I can’t, or the island will be destroyed! I won’t make you do anything that will hurt anypony who really cares about you. I just want to talk.

“Wh-where….?” Twilight whispered. Her heart was in her mouth. What if this was a changeling trap? Should she bring someone with? What was going to happen? Could she… could she actually leave? Maybe stop having to say goodbye…?

The Lunar Lagoon playset. Come after the party; I’ll give you further instructions once you’re there.

Twilight nodded, then wondered if the mysterious voice could see her.

“Penny for your thoughts, Twilight?”

Twilight whirled around. “Shining Armor!! You came!”

The white unicorn stallion smiled down at her and ruffled her mane. “Spike and I will be taking shifts; someone needs to man the watchtower after all. But I didn’t want to miss spending a special night with my little sister.”

Twilight Sparkle wrapped her forelegs around her brother’s neck. “It’s horrible… the Cakes have to leave…”

“I heard.” Shining Armor hugged her back. “I’m so sorry, Twi, but I’m sure they’ll be fine. The Wastelands are boring and I’m sure they’ll miss having such a special customer but they’ll be just fine.”

“Oh, Shining,” Twilight said.

“Now, may I have this dance?” Shining Armor asked, gesturing to the dance floor with his head.

Twilight smiled warmly at him, feeling her eyes prick with tears. “I’d love that.”

By pure coincidence, Songbird Serenade was singing a ballad about the beauty of family. Twilight and Shining Armor slow danced, spinning in circles shoulder to shoulder, switching sides in time to the music, just like they did when Twilight was little and Shining was a teenager. For one magical moment, nothing mattered to Twilight anymore. Not the island and not the mysterious voice.

As Songbird Serenade intensified the final chorus, Shining Armor scooped up Twilight and swung her around, spinning in circles on his hind legs, as Twilight squealed with delight. Then at the finale, he tossed her into the air and caught her in a tight embrace.

Twilight snuggled into the hug. “I’m so glad you came, BBBFF.”

“Me too. I missed you, Twilie,” Shining Armor said.

Then, gently, he released her. “I need to get back to the lighthouse now…”

“It feels like you just got here,” Twilight said, a catch in her voice.

“That’s because I did.” Shining Armor laughed halfheartedly. “But Spike will be here for a little while too. He’s been missing you.”

“Mmmhmm.” To be honest, Twilight felt like she couldn’t relate to Spike anymore now that he was a huge dragon instead of an adorable drake. He’d morphed from sweet and eager to please to all grown up and professional overnight because dragon life cycles were weird; he didn’t even seem like the same dragon.

She saw Shining Armor off at the edge of the clearing. She didn’t feel like waiting around to talk awkwardly with Spike, and the Lagoon playset wasn’t that far away. Maybe she wouldn’t be missed…


After circulating a story amongst her friends that she didn’t feel well and was going to find some stomach-ache curing ferns, she galloped off to the Lunar Lagoon playset.

***

The Lunar Lagoon was a beautiful semicircle filled with reflections of stars. The sand around it was white and very fine. Glittery seashells dotted the shoreline.

Twilight shuffled through the sands, kicking up clouds of white powder. “H-hello?” she whispered.

“Good, you’re here,” the voice in her head said. “Now, don’t you feel like a swim?”

“What? Are you going to drown me?” Twilight squeaked in panic.

What? No! I’m here to help you, Twilight.”

Twilight hesitated at the edge, muscles tensed to run away.

The mental voice sighed heavily. “I have an underwater cave and swimming is the only way to get in. It’s the only way to keep it hidden. I wasn’t going to tell you in case you ran away to tell somepony.

“Oh.” Twilight slid out of her beautiful ball gown and left it by a palm tree. Then she headed into the warm starlit water, letting it wash over her body as she walked down the gentle slope of the shore. Then, when the water was up to her neck, she launched herself forward and dove under the water.

“Very good.” The mental voice was exactly as clear underwater as it was above; in retrospect this made perfect sense but it still felt surreal. “Do you see the teal light now?

Twilight swam in a slow circle and saw a strange glow coming from under a rock shelf. It was a turquoise glow but she could lecture the strange voice later. Swimming towards it, she found a hole in the rock and stuck her head up through it.

There was breathable air, so Twilight gasped for oxygen as she used her magic to brush her wet mane out of her eyes.

The small cave- was it a cave playset? She’d have to ask- was fairly Spartan. The two chairs, small side table, and long workbench were made of natural wood. Twilight hadn’t even known furniture could come in wood colors; it seemed exotic. The workbench was loaded with gemstones in strange colors and shapes and flasks filled with strange liquids. On the floor was a crude drawing of a six pointed star in a circle; it looked like it was drawn in charcoal.

“It’s strange finally seeing you in pony,” a female voice breathed.

Twilight gasped and whirled around to find a pink unicorn standing near her. The unicorn mare had a purple mane with a teal streak and a cutie mark of a four-pointed star with a teal tail trailing upward.

“Wh-who are you?” Twilight asked.

“Glimmer. Starlight Glimmer.” The unicorn mare waved a hoof around the cave. “This is where I’ve been working.”

“What do you mean, finally seeing me in pony?” Twilight asked. “You’ve been spying on me!?”

“Don’t make it sound so evil,” Starlight Glimmer said. “I’ve just been keeping an eye on you, is all.” Her face hardened. “You’re ready to hear the truth about this island, and why you’re kept prisoner on it.”