• Published 8th Dec 2011
  • 830 Views, 4 Comments

Tales of Flutterbreeze: A Dark Plot in Canterlot - Flutterbreeze



A plot against Celestia sends Agent Flutterbreeze to Canterlot. Can he uncover the truth in time?

  • ...
 4
 830

The "Master of Darkness"

The three ponies examined the surroundings for the first time, now free from the distraction of flying feathered snakes. The landscape appeared as if it could almost be above ground. Meadows of green... moss stretched out in every direction. A few ponds dotted the landscape, along with small forests of tree-like plants.

“Alright, this mission is just getting weirder and weirder.” said Fleur

“Sunlight underground... interesting...” Flutterbreeze stroked his beard, pondering. Then he smiled and said, “I guess this place is just so underground... that we’ve probably never heard of it.”

Facehooves were had all around.

“Well, we won’t get any answers standing here.” said Luna.

“I suppose you’re right.” replied Flutterbreeze, “Besides, the flying lizard guy said we’ll learn everything in the climax. Isn’t that right?!”

A voice from the ground nearby said, “Yeah.”

“Alright then, what are we waiting for? Sally forth to yonder castle!”

They walked along a brick road towards the fortress in the distance, examining the strange scenery around them, including fauna such as over-sized crustaceans and owlbears. ‘To think that a place like this existed right under Equestria...’

The castle seemed a bit more cheery than they had expected the dwelling of an evil villain to look like. It was made of white stone blocks, and the path leading up to it was lined with neatly trimmed hedges. It was, however, surrounded by a moat filled with alligators.

One particularly interesting feature found at the top of the castle was an enormous crystal ball, which left the agents speculating over its use.

“Oh no, a moat and walls, whatever shall I do?” Flutterbreeze said sarcastically. He started floating up towards the top of the castle’s walls until an arrow shot right through his hat. He watched as it fell down into the moat.

He started flying fast towards the feathered reptile that was now reloading its crossbow (luckily a long process), and delivered a mighty uppercut to the jaw, sending it flying.

Flutterbreeze spent a great deal of effort moving the heavy machinery to lower the drawbridge of the castle. He finally managed to get it all the way down, wiping the sweat off his brow and breathing a sigh of relief. He turned around to see that Luna and Fleur had already gotten onto the walls and dispatched the remaining guards. Luna, of course, flew while Fleur used a grappling hook to ascend the walls.

“Are you quite finished?” Fleur asked, to which Flutterbreeze responded with a hooves up.

They made their way through the castle quickly, slowing down only to beat up on the occasional serpent minion.

‘This guy’s practically letting us walk right in, as if he was setting us up for a trap. Oh right... there’s a traitor...’

Passing through the many dim corridors of the castle’s interior, they eventually realized they had no idea where they were going.

“As much as I enjoy aimlessly running through musty old hallways, does anyone have an idea of where we are going?” Fleur asked.

“I think I may have a solution.” Flutterbreeze rustled through his mailbag and from it produced a pair of high-tech goggles. “This villain strikes me more of the ‘powerful magic monster’ type rather than the ‘evil genius’, so these magic detection spyglasses should help me locate him... Oh, Luna could you step back please, you’re creating a lot of interference.”

He scanned around in every direction until he saw a colorful blob that looked promising. “Alright, that should be him right there. Or if not, some sort of arch-minion that leads up to him.” He pointed in the proper direction and they pressed on once again.

“That... is the door to a boss room if I’ve ever seen one.” Flutterbreeze said, examining a huge set of doors with a large skull in the center.

“Boss room?” Fleur gave him odd looks just about every time he spoke.

“Yes... but how do we unlock the doors? I imagine there is an unusually large key hidden somewhere else in the castle...” The doors started glowing blue, then creaked open slowly, as if by magic. “Ah, yes... good work Luna.”

“They weren’t locked.” She said, leaving Flutterbreeze stunned by the simplicity of it.

“The boss room” as Flutterbreeze had called it, was shaped like an enormous dome. It was very dark, with black walls and lit only by the blue-flamed torches on the wall, which was decorated with skulls. After they all entered, the huge doors slammed shut behind them. Shivers went down their spines, and it wasn’t just because it was also rather cold in there.

“Well, well, well. So you decided to show up after all?” A deep, sinister voice echoed through the room, but they couldn’t determine its source. “We were beginning to think that you wouldn’t show up.” A menacing laugh reverberated as purple mist filled the center of the room. The form of a beast could be seen as the mist spread out across the floor of the room.

The figure was at least fifteen feet high. It had the body of a dog, but its feet were turned backwards. Giant green, unblinking eyes could be seen from behind the large skull mask it wore. Other than this, it was completely black. Its ears were constantly moving around in every direction as it began speaking again.

“My name is Xolotl, in case you mortals have already forgotten, and I am the master of the darkness, ruler of the underworld. I’d rather tell you my plans and motives for Equestria’s doom as I think the story is rather interesting, but if you are in a hurry I can just kill you all now. What say you? … WELL?”

Flutterbreeze finally answered meekly, “No, no take your time.” After all the anticipation and suspense, he wouldn’t miss the monologue for anything.

“It was five-hundred years ago...” Xolotl began “when Princess Celestia discovered the ancient entrance to my realm, which had been long forgotten. My land is where the sun passes each night before rising above again each dawn. Upon learning this, she and I reached... an agreement. I would produce from the earth a great multitude of treasures, and in exchange... she would create a new sun for us... for this land... so that no one would ever been left in darkness ever again! I upheld my part of the bargain... but after years of waiting, I realized that I had been betrayed... played as a fool!” Smoke began streaming from the nostrils of the mask.

“With nothing to do, I began to wallow in self-pity. I obsessed over the darkness... and death. This is when I created the room in which we are now standing, and the mask I wear. Since that time, I sought only to create misfortunes and misery to the ponies of Equestria, and to their princess of course. Recently, my efforts have gotten extreme enough to warrant a visit from Princess Celestia, who of course sought to put an end to my fun. She blatantly denied ever having made a deal with me, and for this, I have plotted the ultimate vengeance.”

“On top of this castle sits a huge glass globe, which I will use to capture the sun... and then destroy it!” The three ponies gasped. “Ahahahahahaha! I had, of course heard of your little organization. After all, you have foiled my minions plots many times in the past. But, expecting this kind of action from the likes of you foals, I have planted a mole among your ranks... that’s right, there is a traitor among you!” They looked at each other nervously.

“No, I don’t mean here in this room. But inside your agency is one who pledges loyalty to me. From the information gathered by this source, I tracked you operatives and ambushed you both at some point. Unfortunately my minions are weak and stupid, but it is no matter, because no one can stop me now! Soon, the sun will pass into the orb directly above us, and then it will be too late! Muahahahaha... AHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! Now.. any last words before your doom?”