• Published 8th Dec 2011
  • 830 Views, 4 Comments

Tales of Flutterbreeze: A Dark Plot in Canterlot - Flutterbreeze



A plot against Celestia sends Agent Flutterbreeze to Canterlot. Can he uncover the truth in time?

  • ...
 4
 830

Number One

The sun was just starting to rise above the mountains when Canterlot came into view. The regal city was certainly a sight at sunrise, the light bouncing off the streets and rooftops, yet with the lingering effects of the calm night. Only a few ponies could be seen walking the streets yet.

Flutterbreeze landed near the gates of the castle. The guards were just about to change from the dark stallions of Luna to the white paladins of Celestia. As he began crossing the drawbridge, one of the guards looked at him, then said something to the other, who nodded. They lowered their crossed, bat-like wings as Flutterbreeze approached. He tipped his hat as he passed between them. ‘Its a good thing I didn’t get here any later. The new guards may not have recognised me.’

He stood and observed his surroundings for a minute. The interior courtyard was richly decorated with various fountains, marble statues, and ornate shrubbery of various designs. Even the cobblestones beneath his hooves were arranged in mosaic patterns.

A pair of doors opened across the courtyard, revealing Princess Luna, who began to walk towards him. He removed his hat and bowed as she approached. A starry blue mane hung gently at the side of the indigo alicorn.

She said in a strong voice, “You are the agent that was sent, I presume?”

“Yes your highness, and may I say it is indeed a pleasure to finally meet you face to face.”

“Save the formalities, agent for we have much to discuss!”

He nodded meekly, shrinking back even lower.

“We have heard terrible news that... an old foe of Princess Celestia has returned after hundreds of years, and plots some form of vengeance upon her. We, of course, do not know of him personally, but he must be stopped!” She stomped her hoof as she said this. “Another agent will arrive tomorrow during the afternoon’s formal party which thou wilt also be attending as ‘an important pony of high society’. The sooner this problem is solved the better. Already, this villain hath sent out his minions to spy on Princess Celestia and-”

The sun had continued to rise while Princess Luna spoke, and it was at this point that she noticed his torn and blood-stained uniform. Her serious expression now turned to a more concerned one.

“Oh... we hope thou had no trouble in getting here.”

Flutterbreeze finally got to speak, “Only a little. I’m afraid my arrival was not as secret as we had hoped.”

“Indeed.” He tone returning to its seriousness. “We shall have to inform the other operative when she arrives. Luckily thou wont be needing thy uniform, and the royal tailor can make a new one for thee during thy stay here.” She turned and walked towards the doors. “Follow us to thine quarters... please.”

As they walked down a long, decorative corridor, the princess told Flutterbreeze where everything was located in that wing of the castle, the medical ward (important), the 24-hour pantry (also important), the “Loo” (vitally important), and finally his quarters.

“We shall retire now.” Luna said. Her voice revealed a hint of sleepiness. “Thou may spend the rest of the day as thou needest and wanteth to, agent... what didst thou say thine name was?”

“Flutterbreeze.”

“Flutterbreeze, yes well, we wishest thou good luck.”

He gave a bow. “Thank you, your highness.”

“Please, call us Princess Luna.”

They both smiled. “As you wish, princess.”