• Published 25th Jul 2012
  • 1,510 Views, 45 Comments

New Beginnings - Saro0fdemonz



Again the peace of Equestria is shattered, but it will require the work of new heros to save the day

  • ...
4
 45
 1,510

A Change of Pace

To Scootaloo's surprise there was nopony at Sweet Apple Acres. She had expected to see the entire Apple family, or at least the members of it that lived in Ponyville. Instead all she found was Applebloom inside, painting a few polka dots and double checking her jars.

"Hey Bloom, where the hay is everypony?" Scootaloo asked. The earth pony sighed a little.

"They had t' go t' Canterlot. Princess Twilight needed em." she explained.

"Well what about the little ones?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"They went with em." she sat down, holding her hat.

"So thats why you called us." Scootaloo said softly. Applebloom nodded.

"Well, we should get to Canterlot and do what we can to help. Is everything set here?" Sweetie Belle asked. Applebloom took one last look around and nodded.

"Eeyup." The mare placed her hat atop her head and stepped outside, followed by her friends.

"Belle, if ya'll would do th' honors." Applebloom asked softly. The unicorn nodded, her horn glowing dimly causing her magic to surround them. In moments the group had vanished, leaving only a small black scorch on the ground as proof they had ever been there.


Penny and Hayseed stared at the Elements as their father spoke with the other adults in a separate room.

"Sooo...which do ya think we are?" Penny asked her sister.

"Ah dunno sis. Ah mean, our ma and pa aren't even Elements. Emeralds ma was Generosity."

"Yes, but Emerald is magic, not generosity." Sunburst pointed out. The group stared at the half stone trinkets as they all tried to solve the puzzle. Nova looked at everypony for a moment then back to the Elements.

"Amethyst, would you mind if I tried something?" she asked. He looked at her for a moment.

"Not at all Princess." she looked at the Elements and lifted Honesty into the air, letting it hover in front of Amethyst.

"An honest pony never lies." She thought aloud, placing the Element around the Kirins neck. It glowed for a moment before changing into a long necklace that clung to Amethyst, a single purple diamond shaped stone sat at its center. Nova grinned to herself a little, the ponies around her looking at Amethyst and Emerald. Nova turned to the rest.

"Two down, four to go." She put a hoof to her chin as she looked over the Elements and the ponies around her. There was only one other pony who could be Laughter. It had to be Strawberry Swirl. Nova lifted the Element of Laughter, placing it around the zebra's neck and smiling as it began to glow, changing into a necklace with an ice cream shaped stone, striped in different shades of pink.

"Wow, yer good at this Princess!" Penny said with a smile. Nova giggled a little and turned her attention back to the other Elements. Generosity, Loyalty, Kindness. She turned to Penny and Hayseed. While they were good ponies, they definitely weren't generous. She decided to give Loyalty a try, though nothing happened with either twin. She pouted a little and tried kindness, again nothing happened.

"Ah guess we just weren't meant t' be Elements..." they said together sadly.
"That doesn't matter, you two are still our friends and you're still important to us no matter what." Sunburst said, moving to them to comfort them. As she did so her hoof brushed against Kindness, the Element glowing and appearing around her neck, a bright yellow sunstone at its center.

The pegasus jumped in surprise, the Twins staring at her for a moment and pouting. Sunburst sighed and pulled them into a hug, both of them calming down a little as the mare held them.

"Well that solves that puzzle, though to be honest I thought Honeycrisp would be Kindness." Emerald said, the mentioned mare mumbling something from behind her mane. Nova lifted the last two Elements. Generosity and Loyalty. She tried Loyalty first, the Element shook a little but did nothing else, the same effect came from Generosity. Nova was stunned. If the two Elements weren't bound to any of them, then who were they bound to?

"Nova, why don't you try them on?" Emerald asked. The pony blinked in surprise. She had completely put herself out of the picture and focused on the other ponies as the other Elements. Would one of them really be bound to her? She stared at them for a moment, unsure of which to try first.

She couldn't say if she was loyal or generous. She never really had anypony to be loyal or generous to. Emerald walked over, taking hold of the Elements in her magic and quickly placed Generosity around her neck, smiling as it glowed and changed into a small necklace, three violet star shaped stones forming a circle in its center.

"To a pony who gave to others without even thinking about herself." Emerald said with a grin, making the alicorn blush slightly. Amethyst cleared his throat, pulling their attention from one another.

"That's great and all, but we're still one Element short." He pointed a claw at Loyalty and the ponies stared at it.

"Well it wouldn't work with any of us. Who could it belong to?" Emerald asked. They all jumped in surprise as four ponies appeared before them. Piper stumbled forward, not use to teleporting and tumbled into the ponies gathered in the room, Loyalty falling ontop of his head and glowing brightly as it latched itself to him, though the lightning bolt remained the same. All the ponies just stared at him in shock, none more so than Amethyst. It took the other ponies a moment to realize what had just happened.

"To a pony who never betrays their friends...Loyalty..." Nova said quietly.


The others rushed into the room as the sound of somepony teleporting caught their attention. They opened the doors just in time to see the Element of Loyalty crash land on Piper and bind itself to him. Twilight cast her gaze over the room, in the short time they had spent discussing how each of the ponies could be bound to the Elements they had figured it out for themselves.

Amethyst glared at Piper, steam drifting from his nostrils into the air.

"I refuse to believe such a foul mouthed jerk could really be the Element of Loyalty." He said, keeping his angered gaze on the pegasus in question.

"Hey! I know I messed up alright and...I'm sorry." Amethyst was taken back by the apology as Piper stood, shaking himself a bit.

"w...what?" Amethyst asked.

"I'm sorry. I had some time to do some thinking and I realized that..." He sighed, looking back at his parents for a moment, Scootaloo nodded with a smile. She was so proud of him, she didn't have to smack him or anything. On top of that he was somehow the Element of Loyalty now.

"I realized that I've never really treated you or Emerald the way I should have. We're family and family is suppose to stick together no matter what. I know you're probably still mad at me but I'll make it up to you guys someh..." Piper gasped in surprise as Amethyst and Emerald pulled him into a hug.

"uh...guys...please..no hugs..." Emerald giggled and let go of him as did Amethyst.

"Sorry Piper." Emerald said with a smile. Amethyst smiled as well, though he still had that look in his eyes.

"Apology accepted. But I'll still be keeping my eye on you." Amethyst said, making sure the pony knew his thoughts about him hadn't completely changed. Twilight cleared her throat, letting her presence as well as the others known to the room.

"It seems you all have discovered your Elements, much faster than we all did." Twilight said with a smile.

"T' be honest Twi, yer the one that figured it out fer us if'n I remember correctly." Applejack added.

"And Princess Nova is the one who really figured it out" Amethyst said, stepping aside as the mentioned Alicorn tried to hide. Twilight and Luna smiled at their daughter.

"She gets that from you Twilight." Luna said. She turned her attention to the ponies in the room, noticing the looks on the faces of those without an Element. Luna walked up to them and smiled.

"Why so glum my little ponies?" she asked them softly.

"All our friends are so important...they git t' have th' Elements o' Harmony while we jus' git nuthin..." Penny mumbled under her breath.

"Little one, do you think your mother had an Element when she fought by our side?" Luna asked.

"w...well no, she didn't..."

"And your father?" the pony shook her head.

"And yet, they did so much for us. In fact, if not for your mother and father we would have failed that day and none of you would have been born. We needed everypony that day and everypony gave everything they had to make today possible. Element or no Element. While the Elements are important, its your friendship that matters the most. Remember that." the three ponies smiled, their spirits lifted by the Princess of the night. Celestia sat before them.

"Pip, may I borrow your hoof blade please?" She asked of the guard. He nodded, her magic taking hold of it as he held it in the air for her.

"My little ponies, Defenders of Equestria." She held out the sword, the ponies kneeling before her, their heads down. She placed it upon their shoulders each in turn.

"Sir Amethyst, Element of Honesty, protector of the Elements. Sir Piper, Element of Loyalty, sworn friend to all in the darkest of times. Lady Nova, Element of Generosity and Princess of Equestria. Lady Sunburst, Element of Kindness, a gentle soul burning brightly for all to see. Lady Penny Apple and Lady Hayseed, dear friends in our time of need. Lady Honeycrisp, hidden strength waiting to burst forth. Lady Strawberry Swirl, Element of Laughter, bringing happiness to even the saddest of ponies. Rise, knights of Equestria. Rise and protect Equestria in its time of need."

They stood, holding their heads high. Pip smiled at the smiles he saw on his twins faces. They had always asked him about life as a guard and his adventures before they were born. And now they were about to have their own. Though he was proud of them, he was also afraid for them, but he refused to let it show.

"I know that this is a great burden to bear, especially at such a young age. But with Discord free and Canterlot being targeted once more we have no time to waste. Pip." The stallion snapped to attention.

"Speak with the commander and have them trained." She said softly. Pip blinked in surprise and nodded.

"Yes Princess." the twins felt their smiles falter at the sound of their fathers reply. He turned and began walking down a hall, the ponies following after him. They smiled at their parents as they vanished down the hall, following after Pip. Applebloom sat down.

"Does anypony care t' tell me what jus' happened?!"


Nova bit her lip as she looked at her sister, Spike, Pip, Riku, and Commander Chrome mist. Lined up on either side of her were the others and though she knew she was safe here she felt uneasy. Nyx took a slow breath.

"All of you with magic, step forward." She said. Emerald and Nova stepped forward. Nyx smiled a little.

"That's what I thought. You all believe that only those with horns can use magic, or only unicorns can. Amethyst, while your magic isn't strong you do still have it. As for the rest of you." Nyx turned to Pip who stepped forward, drawing his hoofblade and spinning, flames dancing around him as he stood on his hind hooves. Just as quickly as the weapon was drawn it was returned to his scabbard. The ponies stared in shock at the earth pony.

"While we are not meant to be able to handle magic in its rawest form, we are still able to harness its power through other means." Pip sat down, his face serious as he looked at each of their faces. He would have to take these children, his own children, and turn them into soldiers. Riku put a gentle hoof on his shoulder and he nodded.

"While you all have your own type of magic, there are spells that any of you can use. I will be teaching you how to harness this power, while Pip teaches you how to use a hoofblade and your own magic. Spike will be teaching Dragon Magic, Nyx will be teaching Unicorn Magic." Riku explained. Penny raised her hoof in the air.

"Yes Penny?" Riku asked.

"Um...how do Earth ponies use magic? Ah thought it was jus' somethin unicorns did with their horns."

"Magic lives in everything Penny. The trees, the grass, the animals. Even you and I. Its not something that can really be explained." Riku drew a line in the grass with his hoof, icicles forming across the line and growing. The ponies watched in awe.

"Rather it has to be seen and felt. We will start with basic magic and use of the hoofblade. Pair up and stay with your teacher." Riku said. Chrome nodded to Pip and watched as the colt grabbed the practice swords. Chrome could see pain in his eyes as he handed one to each of his children and walked up to him.

"Why don't ya let me start em off kid?" Pip lowered his head, nodding a little.

"Is somethin wrong with mah pa?" Hayseed asked as she slipped the wooden sword onto her hoof.

"He'll be alright with time little one. He's just worrying about you and your sister." The twins looked at each other than at Chrome.

"Whys he worried?" Penny asked. Chrome grabbed one of the practice swords and pointed it at them.

"Because of what you have to learn and do." they gulped and stared at the old stallion. He looked a bit more fearsome now that he held the wooden weapon.

"Come on, get em up." he said softly. They stumbled and held up their practice swords, stumbling as they tried to balance its weight and stay on their hooves.

"Ya need to shift yer weight or you'll just fall flat on yer faces. Like so." He gently nudged them into position.

"When you get as good as your father you'll be able to use two or three blades and for that you'll need to perfect your balance. Stand on your hind hooves." they looked at him and he returned their gaze.

"ON YER HOOVES!" He barked, the two instantly standing on their hind hooves and wobbling.

"Good reaction time, now we just gotta work on balance."


Riku glanced at Pip, seeing the colt in a corner, his face in his hooves.

"Piper, keep practicing that ice spell on those blades of grass." The pegasus nodded, staring intently at the grass, trying to make it freeze over. Riku sat beside Pip, draping a wing over his shoulder.

"I know its tough buddy. But if ya don't teach em then they won't be ready." Riku said. Pip sighed quietly.

"I didn't plan on ever putting this armor on again. I didn't plan on ever having to use that bucking sword ever again." Pip mumbled.

"And I didn't plan on making my own daughters into soldiers..."

"I know...How do you think Nyx feels about Nova? Her own little sister. She see's a lot of herself in that little mare. Nyx went through quite an ordeal at her age and promised herself she wouldn't let Nova deal with anything like that. But now she is being forced to break that promise, but she does it knowing it is for the best. Pip, you're the best swordstallion here. If we really want them to be ready then you're gonna have to step up and do what needs to be done." Pip nodded and stood, his expression one of stone.

"I won't like it, but I'll do it." Riku nodded,letting the colt go back to teaching his daughters how to use their practice swords. He smiled as he saw them make a game out of it. Riku turned his attention back to Nyx and Nova, walking over to them and snatching up Piper in the process.

"Watch" he said to Piper, pointing to Nova. Nova stared at the dummy in front of her, her horn glowing dimly as she scrunched up her eyes, focusing her magic. Slowly a beam of magic appeared beside her, forming into a crooked sword. Nyx giggled a little, lending her magic to the spell and fixing the sword.

"You have to let it form itself Nova, don't try to force it." The alicorn nodded, staring at the dummy, poking it with her magical blade, making Nyx giggle.

"Not like that silly, watch." Nyx stepped in front of the dummy, lowering herself a little to control her weight better as her blades appeared, one after the other slicing at the dummy at an angle from either side. The blades vanished as the dummy fell to the ground.

"whoa..." Piper and Nova said together.

"But I can't use magic like that. I can't even get this buc...uh...this Ice spell to work." Piper corrected himself as Riku looked at him through the corner of his eye. He didn't intend to anger this pony, lest he feel the wrath of the famed warrior. Riku put a hoof to his chin, his keyblade appearing beside him and stabbing into the ground.

"While you can't use a magical blade, you can stlil learn to use a hoofblade and whatever is available to you. In any situation almost anything can be a weapon to protect those you care for." Riku pushed the keyblade over to him, the blade shrinking a little as the pegasus grabbed it in his teeth. Riku smiled.

"Now attack me with it." Piper blinked in surprise, looking up at the Alicorn.

"uh...wut?" Piper jumped backwards as a spike of ice drove up from the ground where he had been standing moments ago.

This guy is tryin t' kill me! Piper gripped the keyblade tightly and ran as more icicles formed, chasing after him.

"You can dodge me all you want, but can your friends?" Riku asked, turning his attention to a distracted Emerald. Pipers eyes widened and he skid to a stop. Time slowed down as he changed direction, tossing his wings back and kicking off the ground. He threw the blade at Riku and dived for Emerald, pushing the Kirin out of the way as an icicle rose from the ground, clipping his wing and sending him tumbling to the ground. The training grounds fell silent as Riku walked over to the pegasus. Emerald stared in shock at the spear of ice that had almost hit her. Riku nudged Piper to his hooves and smiled at him.

"Good, when it comes down to it you can do what has to be done." Piper just glared at him.

"Are you crazy!? You could've killed her! You could've killed me!" he yelled. Riku nodded.

"Yes, but you are both still alive thanks to your quick thinking." Riku pointed out.

"What if I hadn't tried to save her!? We would've lost the Element of Magic! What if I hadn't spun when I did?! I coulda been killed by that thing and we wouldn't have an Element of Loyalty!" Piper continued to yell. Riku only stood there, letting the angered pegasus vent.

"I knew none of that would happen."

"How could you possibly know?!"

"Because you're the son of Scootaloo and the grandson of Rainbow Dash. You're too fast for me. You're also the Element of Loyalty and would never leave a friend to suffer. This only proves that." Piper glared at him.

"So just to prove I'm Loyalty you had to go and almost kill us?!" Nova put a hoof over his mouth

"Piper that's enough." she said quietly. The pegasus glared at Riku one last time, ice covering Riku's hooves as the pegasus walked away. Riku only grinned, though on the inside he was at war with himself. To be honest he had been afraid the pegasus would have left Emerald to die, though he kept a tight reign on the speed of the ice and would've stopped it before then. He hadn't intended to hit Piper with it at all and he knew Nyx would have words with him later on the subject.


They could only watch through a window as their children were trained in magic and the ways of battle.

"It jus' ain't right..." Applejack said softly, tears in her eyes. Rainbow placed a wing over her shoulder.

"AJ...Deep down I think we all knew this was going to happen. Things were too quiet for too long, especially with those freaky heartless still out there."She said quietly, holding back her own tears as she watched her daughter dance among the others with a practice blade strapped to her hoof. Fluttershy watched her daughter in Silence, Big Macintosh wrapping a hoof around her.

"She's right. This ain't right, it jus' ain't right. Ya'll may not be th' Elements anymore, but that don't mean we gotta send them t' th' pits to do our dirty work." Macintosh said, almost growling as rage filled him.

"I know you are all upset about this. But sadly its our only option." Big Macintosh spun, glaring at Twilight.

"Ya'll know ah respect ya Princess, but this is goin' too far! That's mah daughter down there!" Twilight returned his gaze, her eyes glowing white and her voice booming as she spoke.

"Do you think I don't know that!? My own daughter is down there as well! Both of them! Do you think I want to send them to fight!? Do you think I take pleasure in this?!" she asked, jabbing her hoof against his chest with each question. To the surprise of all the ponies there, Big Macintosh began to shrink back at her words. Twilight calmed herself, rubbing a hoof against her temple and sighing softly.

"If I had my way it would just be me to fight. Though I know all of you would come along anyway. I wish I could tell you more bu..."

"But this is another one of those 'The Doctor said' kind of things isn't it?" Rainbow Dash said, annoyed. Before Twilight could respond they heard Scootaloo scream in terror, all eyes turning to see an ice spike just barely clipping Piper's wing as he pushed Emerald out of its path. The Pegasus then began yelling at Riku before being silenced by Nova. Scootaloo shook her head and spun, Luna and Twilight standing in her way. The pegasus gritted her teeth.

"I can't just stand here and do nothing!" Scootaloo yelled at them, tears in her eyes. Sweetie Belle stood beside her, her keyblade appearing in the air beside her.

"Whether you want us to or not, we are going to go help our children. The very least we can do is prepare them for whatever is to come. Something which you can't even speak to us about." she said quietly. Twilight glanced toward Luna, the Alicorn nodding.

"Very well..." She said softly. the ponies in the room made their way to the training grounds, leaving Twilight and Luna alone. Twilight stared out the window and broke into tears.


Emerald leaned against her brother, completely exhausted, her father wearing a proud smile.

"You're learning pretty quickly Emy. Go ahead and rest, you've earned it. Amethyst, we'll practice more later. You need to get better control of your magic. I know you can't use unicorn magic but you should be a natural with Dragon Magic."

The kirin only nodded, letting his sister rest against him. Spike turned to find Rarity and the others marching into the Training grounds, most of them glaring at Riku who nodded to them, understanding their anger.

"Rarity, what are you doing out here?" Spike asked. The unicorn glanced at him then at Amethyst and Emerald.

"I'm here to help my children as you are Spike." she said, her nose in the air. Spike chuckled a little and nodded.

"Alright, they are taking a break right now though. Emy will need your help with some spells I tried to teach her and Amethyst is still struggling."

"I'm just not meant to use magic father." He stated simply, resting a wing over Emerald. Nova sat near them, mumbling something. Emerald smiled a little and nodded, whispering something to Amethyst. The Kirin puffed out a small cloud of smoke and reluctantly nodded, lifting his wing so Nova could sit with Emerald, resting his wing over the two ponies. Rarity raised an eyebrow at the display, deciding not to look too far into it. For now.

On the other side of the training grounds, Strawberry swirl stood on her hind hooves, a hoofblade strapped to each hoof, another strapped to her tail as she twirled and flipped through an obstacle course, slicing through targets and dummies. Chrome merely watched with a small grin.

"That ones a natural." he said to himself as the zebra stopped at the end of the course. She hadn't even broken a sweat.

"Strawberry, front and center." The pony saluted and sheathed the swords to a harness strapped around her midsection.

"I'm gonna need you to help the others work on their balance. You've got the form, the technique and the perfect balance."

"Can do Chromie!" she said, saluting once more before bouncing off toward the others. Chrome mist sighed, he didn't particularly enjoy the nickname the mare had given him and any attempt to explain such only led her to try to come up with more ridiculous names. He turned his attention to Pip, the ponies face a stone of emotion as he trained his daughters to use their practice swords.

They quickly learned the forms and movements, following his every hoofstep. Pip stopped and gave them a gentle smile, pulling them into a tight hug. They smiled up at him, returning the hug. Pip jumped a little in surprise as Applebloom wrapped her hooves around them.

"Bloom...what are you doing here? What about the Zap Apples?" he asked. The mare shook her head, tears in her eyes as she kissed him.

"This is more important than that..." she said quietly, looking down at her daughters.

"Momma...does this mean we aren't gonna have any Zap Apple jam?" Penny asked, pouting a little. Applebloom choked out a small laugh and held her close.

"No, ah'll still do mah best t' make th' zap apple jam Penny...Ah jus' gotta be here fer ya'll first." She said, kissing their foreheads. Hayseed looked around.

"Ma...why are we here? Me and Penny aren't Elements like th' others. Can't we jus' go home and help with th' harvest?" She asked. Applebloom felt tears sting her eyes.

"Ah'm sorry girls...but yer friends need yer help...Ah want nuthin more than fer all o' us to jus' go home and forget all this." The twins pouted a little, their mother breaking into tears, hiding her eyes under her black stetson. Pip lowered his head.

"Ma...please don't cry...we won't complain anymore and we'll be good and help our friends. Ya don't hafta cry ma..." Hayseed said, Penny nodding agreement. Their pleas only caused her to break down further as she clung to them. Pip looked up to see Twilight and Luna gazing down on them.

"Girls...Why don't you go talk to your friends. Your mother and I need to have a talk." they nodded, running over to their friends. Applebloom glanced at Pip, her eyes begging him to do something. Anything. He stared back, helpless.

Pinkie and Braeburn watched as Strawberry swirl made a game of their training, helping the others to balance on their hind hooves. Pinkie Pie bit her lip and shook a little.

"Yer Pinkie sense goin off?" Braeburn asked gently, placing his hat on top of her cloud of a mane. The pony sighed a little. The gesture usually managed to cheer her up on her darker days, but nothing would make her feel better about this.

"I have a really really really bad feeling Braesy...Something really bad is gonna happen and we can't do anything to stop it..." Pinkie lowered the hat over her face, hiding the tears and frown she wore.

"Come on...lets leave em t' it cupcake...We've done all we can fer her." Pinkie Pie nodded sadly and followed Braeburn away from the training grounds, their heads hanging low.


Piper stood alone on the other side of the training grounds, panting heavily and laying down in the grass. The dummy in front of him had been pounded to a pulp and small flecks of ice clung to the blades of grass around him. He was still angry with Riku, but there was nothing he could do. Riku was an Alicorn Prince and he was just Piper. The pegasus sighed, nearly jumping out of his skin as a hoof landed gently on his back. He looked up to see his parents with tears in their eyes.

"h...Hey squirt...you alright?" Scootaloo asked with a sob caught in her throat. He stood up and nodded with a small smile.

"I'm fine." he said, tucking his wings in. He couldn't let her know what had happened, she would freak out. To his surprise she pulled him into a tight hug, Sweetie Belle wrapping her hooves around both of them.

"We talked to the Princess...she said...t...that you and your friends have an important job to do...a...and ya have to do it alone...b...but...If you ever need any help...just remember the whistle ok?" Scootaloo said as she held him. She spoke as if she would never see him again. He nuzzled her chest and smiled.

"I won't forget."


That night none of them managed to get much sleep, tossing and turning in their beds in the room they shared. Piper sat up in his bed with a sigh.

"Hey, is anypony else awake?" he asked quietly, everyone nodded and sat up.

"Did ya see how sad they were? What do ya think is gunna happen t' us?" Hayseed asked the room. Amethyst was the first to answer.

"Well, we're the new Elements of Harmony, Discord is missing, and they are training us to use magic and weapons. Obviously they intend for us to fight their battle." He said calmly.

"Now wait jus' a minute! Mah momma wouldn't do sumtin like that!" Penny said, stamping her hoof into her mattress angrily.

"Penny, ya'll heard what momma said. She wanted to take us with her and go home, but she can't cuz we gotta help th' Elements. Maybe Amethyst is right..." Hayseed said quietly.

"Ah...ah don't wanna fight..." Honeycrisp sobbed from her bed. Sunburst sat beside her, pulling her into a gentle hug.

"Don't worry crisp, we'll all be here to keep you safe. Remember what Amethyst said? He said he'd protect all of us." Sunburst looked up at Amethyst expectantly, the kirin nodding from his bed.

"No matter what it takes." he said with a smile. Honeycrisp smiled back, calming down a little. Piper sighed, fluffing his bandaged wing a little.

"I can't believe that bastard almost killed me..." he mumbled.

"That reminds me. I never got to thank you." Amethyst said, Piper looking at him in confusion.

"If you hadn't risked yourself like that, he would've hurt my sister. I owe you one Piper." the pegasus smiled. Emerald yawned, stretching her wings a little.

"I owe you one too Piper." She said with a smile

"But we really should try to get some sleep. No doubt we'll be studying more spells tomorrow."

"Oh oh oh! We should come up with a super awesome fantastic name for ourselves!" Strawberry Swirl said as she bounced up and down on her bed.

"Well, Momma use to be in a club. They called themselves th' Cutie Mark Crusaders." Penny Apple said.

"Well, we aren't exactly trying to earn our cutie marks." Piper said, he knew about the crusaders as well from stories his parents had told him.

"We don't need a name either. We aren't some club trying to have fun. This is the fate of Equestria." Amethyst said to all of them. Strawberry pouted, crossing her hooves.

"Party Pooper." she mumbled under her breath.

"Amethyst, maybe you should let her at least try to come up with something. A nickname might cheer us all up. Whenever my parents call each other by their nicknames they always smile no matter how upset they are. Besides, its sort of her job as our Element of Laughter, don't ya think?" Sunburst asked. Amethyst sighed.

"I guess your right. Just...don't come up with anything too silly..." He said as he laid back down. The zebra smiled, mumbling random names to herself as she tried to think of one to fit all of them. One by one the ponies laid back down, lost in their own thoughts and slowly drifting to sleep.

The only one still left awake was Piper. He looked at his wing. He had almost died less than a day ago and everything in his life had changed. He had seen his parents cry, he had rescued his cousin from an insane pony, and he had become the Element of Loyalty. He sighed and lowered his head. Sleep would not come to him this night.