• Published 22nd Mar 2018
  • 833 Views, 7 Comments

Equestria Girls : Tale of the Silver Pen - nicojaller



Take two guys, put them in a all-girl school, put your fantasies aside. What do you get ? Probably a less dreamy scenario than you'd think.

  • ...
3
 7
 833

Two Paths Taken

I go through the hallway, I start to wonder if I didn't made a terrible mistake. The ambiance is still hostile, while it's still mostly indifferent, which is better I would say. Thankfully my mind is sufficiently full of other things to think about for me to worry about that for now. I don't know if things will get any better, let's just hope that with them they will. Time heals all wounds as they say.

I have my day all planned out, but the lunch break is the focus of my thoughts as I'm starting to plan how I am going to approach this. I guess we will start by showing them the photo of yesterday's incident and then I could bring up Trixie afterwards. We'll start by the most urgent one.

The whole morning just seems to go by as quickly as possible, I try to focus on my classes, because we did promised Principal Celestia that we would have good grades so god damn I try my best to focus on my studies. Strangely, it calms me a bit. Thinking about mathematics seems to make me relax. These still are problems, but they are problems that are easily identifiable and easy to solve with logic. There never is any social implications or consequences, it's simple in it's cold logic. But real life don't work like that, most of the time you can't take the most direct solution, because reality is more complex than hypothetic problems. Yesterday's events are perfect exemples of that, logic would ask of us to get tell Principal Celestia and Luna, but on a social scale, it's more complicated than that. There's the consequences and repercussions it would have. God darn it reality, why do you have to make everything much harder than it needs to be.

In other context, I would probably not care about the social consequences, it's not like I'm particuliary popular to begin with, but this time, I just feel there's is way more to lose. Being like is maybe not that important for me, but I know it is for Solace and I can't take that from him. I know that he wants get along with the girls here, so the first option is way too risky. Creating more tension is not what we need. Personally, I can't risk our scholarship here , that comes into play too. This may be a bit selfish now that I think about it, but I really want to stay here. All the efforts and hard work bringed me here, to allow me to study here. I can't ruin that to myself.

The whole morning was basically that, doing my math problems while thinking about the potential conclusions of the two situations we have on our hand. While Solace could care less about the Trixie thing, we both agree that we will have to show the photos to the girls.

Lunch time finally arrives, I meet up with Solace in the hallway, he looks pretty relaxed.

- '' Hey, how's it going ? How was the classes ? ''

- '' Fine, you know I was thinking... ''

- '' Nooooo, you don't say, how unexpected of you ! '' He smirks.

I facepalm, of all the moment he could chose.

- '' Screw you, anyway, how are we gonna talk to the girls about yesterday's events ? ''

- '' You still have the photo right ? ''

- '' Yes. ''

- '' Great, let me deal with the rest, not that you wouldn't do a good job explaining things, but that's the matter, you would probably over-explain it. ''

- '' What do you mean ? I don't over-explain things ! ''

- '' Oh yeah, how would you explain this, if I may ask ? ''

- '' Well, first of all, we'd probably have to ask them what they know, two, probably try to compare the caligraphy, three, ask for potential suspects, four... ''

He puts his hand on my mouth and starts laughing.

- '' I stop you right there Columbo, of course we'll search to know who did that, but right now that's not what's important. The only thing we'll do is show them the door, explain the situation and see what happen. This must feel like a conversation, not like an interrogation, they're our friends bro. ''

I guess he's right, but it doesn't mean I'm happy about it. He puts his arm around my shoulders.

- '' I know that this whole thing's bothering you, that you want things to be alright, just let me deal with that one, okay ? After that, you will be able to talk about your girlfriend. ''

I blush, probably way harder than what I would have liked. I raise my two hands in defence.

- '' S-she's not... I don't even know here full name ! ''

- '' So what ? Anyway, we should probably get going. ''

- '' You're right. We shouldn't keep them waiting. ''

We made our way towards the cafeteria, taking our food, today was burritos by the way if it interest anyone. They looked pretty good. I don't know, maybe my standards are way lower after my previous school, but it still looked pretty delicious to me. Maybe I have a weakness for Mexican food, I don't know. Wait, I realize I say I don't know a bit too often. Meh, maybe my vocabulary is getting weaker with time, who knows? Not me apparently. Anyway, I'm getting distracted.

We sit at the table. As soon as he his is sit, Solace looks at our friends, smiling.

- '' Hey girls ! What's up ? ''

Generic, but friendly, I guess that would have to do. Who am I to judge his approach, he's way better with people than myself. I'll have to wait and see how this conversation goes to see how he will present our problems. Twilight looked at us and smiled.

- '' Nothing much, the girls were thinking about praticing our music after school. ''

That bit of information kinda made me curious, I looked at Twilight.

- '' What for ? Isn't the Battle of the Bands you were talking about over ? ''

- '' Yes, but there's no harm in continuing to play music right ? We don't need a tournament to make us keep playing. ''

I nod, satisfied with that answer.

- '' Fair enough. ''

Solace looks at Rainbow, with a smirk.

- '' What about you Dash ? Any ass-kicking to report ? ''

- '' How'd you guess ? ''

- '' I had a feeling. ''

She then goes on about her athletic exploits, while I really didn't gave a single damn about what she was saying. Solace was hunged to her every words. After that, he still mocks me for my interest towards Trixie, huh ? I really should take a photo of this, but I'll let that one pass. I'm not that much of an asshole.

She talks for what seems to be forever until she remembers she has food to eat and go back to that. Man, and I thought Pinkie was the more talkative one. She's at last as bad as Solace on the Super Bowl weekend. I was eating, when Solace took my phone.

- '' Oh by the way girls, take a look at this. ''

He showed them the photo, I'm a bit annoyed he didn't asked me for the phone, but oh well, it still works. I won't complain too much. They at first look at the phone with curiosity, wondering what it was about until horrified expressions appears on their face.

- '' Oh my, is that your room ? ''

I speak out for the first time in a while.

- '' Yep, that's a photo we took of our door from yesterday when we arrived in front of it. ''

Nobody spoke for a few seconds, not really sure what to do with that. Sunset looked at us both.

- '' Have you showed it to Principal Celestia. ''

Before I can respond, Solace looks at me with disapproval, he then coughed and answered with serious.

- '' No, and we won't. ''

The reaction was pretty simulatenous, they must think we were crazy. Which we kinda are to be honest. He tends spends a few minutes explaining why. Twilight seems to be thinking.

- '' Yes, I see your problem, what are you intending to do with this ? ''

He shruds.

- '' Nothing really, my point was more to make you aware of the situation. If you see any suspicious activity, let us know, so we know who to avoid. Aaaaanyway, on a less sinister tone, Silver had something to ask you all. ''

God...damnit...Solace Wings. They all look at me, wondering what I had to ask them. This would have been easier if I could have presented it on my own terms, but he had given me no choice.

- '' Well, I was wondering if you were familiar with a girl named Trixie ? ''

Once again, the ambiance went from warm to cold in a record time. They looked between themselves, searching for an answer. This time it was Applejack who spoke.

- '' Well, we can't say we never encountered her before, why do yah ask ? ''

I see Solace preparing himself to speak but this time it's my turn to shut him up. The situation certainly doesn't need teasing, the fact that's in front of other person doesn't help either.

- '' Well, I saw her yesterday in the hallways and I was curious to know who she was. Figuring out her name was pretty easy, but I'd figure you'd know a bit more about her than me. ''

Once again, they are silent for a few seconds, but it's a different kind of silence. There was anger, I saw it on their facial expressions that they were remembering something bad. Rarity, still the drama-queen as I can see makes ventilate herself, before struggling to recompose herself.

- '' She is...simply...awful. ''

Rainbow Dash groaned annoyed.

- '' She is the more egocentric person I ever met. ''

I would laugh at the irony there, but I am too stunned at their hostility to do so.

- '' She is nothing but a bag of tricks and sparkles, boasting and making up stories of things she can't actually do. ''

I keep a neutral expression, but I can see Solace raising an eyebrow in surprise. He certainly didn't expected that. Finally, it really is a general hatred of this girl. If even our friends despise her. I doubt I'll get an objective story from them.

Solace coughs, feeling really awkward saves the day.

- '' Okay, let's change the subject shall we ? What are you all planning to do this weekend ? ''

The conversation turns to more trivial matters, I would admit that I lost attention at that point and concentrated myself on actually eating. Some would say that this conversation was a waste of time, but I don't think so. At least it helped me determine the size of the problem. Before, I was wondering if that crowd was an isolated bunch of haters or if it was more of a general thing. Now I know, if the only girls who had no trouble with us hates her, I'll have to guess it's more or less the case for everybody else in this school.

After finishing up eating I go out of the cafeteria and Solace exits not long after. We join up in our room where we'll know no one will hear our conversation. We both say at the same time.

- '' So what's your plan ? ''

I know we were probably talking about two different plans, but it was still funny. We laugh a bit.

- '' No but seriously, what are you planning to do ? I know you're planning to do something with the mysterious writers. ''

Solace scratches his head and smiles nervously like someone being embarrased at being discovered.

- '' I should have known you would get that I'm planning something. I know it feels a bit like I'm using them, but I'm more or less setting networks ofspiesI guess you could say. Our friends were of course the easiest to convince to help me. Now I'll try to have ears and eyes a bit everywhere. In every class. My god, I really feel like a manipulative asshole presented like that. ''

- '' I see...what if one of these groups are the mysterious writers ? ''

- '' It's certainly a possibility, that's why I'll try to get singles individuals and not groups. Of course, I will explain the situation to them so they are willingly in the act. It will take a long time to set up, to befriend one of them and make them agree to that would take two days each I think. ''

I'm listening to him, trying to find faults and excuses to why it wouldn't work, but I couldn't. It was a pretty brilliant plan, complex and long to set up, yes, but there's no reason why it wouldn't work. Gossip in this school must travel pretty quickly, so if someone is planning to do something to us, we would be warned rapidly. I'm actually really impressed.

- '' Wow... that's actually a really good plan, I can't really take part of it, for obvious reasons, making social networks like that isn't my specialty, but I think you could do it. I don't think I could have made up a better plan. ''

He smiles proudly and puts me into a bear hug.

- '' Thanks bro, from you it's a huge compliment ! I thought about it all morning ! And you ? What are you going to do now ? ''

- '' My plan hasn't changed, I can't let my judgment be clouded by what our friends think of her, right now I have to be as objective as possible. If anything, it only showed the gravity of the problem. It only makes questionning Trixie even more important. If she's really that bad. Getting an idea of what's the problem is essential right now. Now that I think about it, the Internet is not the most reliable source of information either because it will have a bias too. So I guess I will have to judge by myself. ''

- '' How will you meet her though ? ''

- '' Our next class is English, I will leave her a note to meet up afterwards. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll just ask her directly. ''

The ringing sound is heard, it means we will have to guess to our next class. Solace smiles at me.

- '' Well, good luck with that. ''

- '' Thanks, you too. ''

Just like that we were separated once again, I head towards the class, but feeling a bit more confident than last time. I was confident, because I knew that I was one step closer to figuring out the problem, but what I'm still forgetting is that, real life is not maths, real life problems have real consequences. I prayed to all that is holy that I was doing the right choice and that the consequences wouldn't be too harsh. I guess it is only wishful thinking.