• Published 2nd Feb 2018
  • 1,272 Views, 39 Comments

Familial bonds: part three - Darling Dearest



Upon discovering the truth about Scootaloo's home life, Rainbow Dash ponders on what the filly she has come to care for so deeply really needs.

  • ...
1
 39
 1,272

New beginings

Rainbow Dash blazed through the sky, her mind reaching for any possible places Scootaloo may have ran off to. She only narrowly avoided a passing by Pegasus mare. Being much closer with the young filly than her birth parents, Rainbow knew of many locations where they would’ve been none the wiser to search. However, with all the rubble and worker ponies scattered around Ponyville, she thought it imperative to check the locations that put the young one in more danger first.

After checking the perimeter of the Everfree forest, the surroundings of the town hall, which had been subjected to a severe slaughter the previous night, and the market place, which saw tents collapsed in ruin, Rainbow finally headed over to the Sweet apple acres. The sight appalled her. Acres of collapsed trees laid before her. Trees that had once bared the most delicious fruit the citizens of Ponyville could ever imagine were now piled on top of each other, their roots sprung into the air.

Though acres more still stud. The trees at Sweet Apple acres had lived on for generation, only growing studier as time passed.

In her mind, Rainbow knew exactly where Scootaloo would have taken sanctuary. Her home away from home, where she had made so many happy memories. Though as she finally arrived at her destination, her heart sank. She dashed down to the ground, her eyes bursting open in horror. The clubhouse was in ruins. What was once a cute little home to three adorable fillies was now a chaotic mess, a frenzy of colourful chunks, crushed into the branches of trees, all surrounding a disgusting pile of rubble and dust. Rainbow’s hooves trembled as she stepped forward, almost tripping over herself.

“Okay, Rainbow. We can fix this later. We need to worry about Scootaloo for now.” She whispered to herself.

She took a deep breath, her mind attempting to rationalise everything that had happened in such a tiny space of time. Though her eyes suddenly perked up, as she caught a glimpse of a miniscule movement behind a tree. She pleaded it was what she thought it was. She treaded forward, keeping her composure, trying her best not to seem threatening.

“Scoots, that you little buddy?”

Her words hadn’t even finished, when a small shadow burst out from the tree.

Rainbow Dash leapt after it, swiftly manoeuvring through the trees, keeping the figure in the centre of her vision. She caught up to the creature in no time, lifting it off the ground, before suddenly collapsing onto the dirt floor.

Her back pinned on the ground, Rainbow held the little one up in the air, staring it directly in the eye. It was Scootaloo. The filly tried her best to escape. Her wings insatiably flapping and her hooves forcing down on Rainbow’s ow. To no avail.
Rainbow sighed in relief. She pulled herself up into a sitting position and placed Scootaloo on her lap, keeping a tight, yet not harmful grip of her.

“Let me go, Dash!”

Scootaloo scowled up at Rainbow Dash, her teeth gritting together as she fought the temptation to start crying.

“Woah, woah, Scoots. Calm down will ya. I’m not gonna hurt you.”

“You betrayed me, Rainbow…”

Scootaloo brushed away tears with her hoof.

“How could you!”

“What! Scoots, I’d never do anything like that. You’re my best little buddy forever, remember. Friends NEVER go behind each other’s backs.”

Scootaloo scoffed at Rainbow.

“Don’t lie to me. I heard you speaking with my parents yesterday.”

“You did.”

“You’re gonna send me away to some orphanage in Manehatten. I’ll never see my friends ever again. My life ‘ll be ruined! I thought we were friends, Rainbow!”

Rainbow gasped. There had been occasions in the past where her own foolishness had caused Scootaloo to question the trust she placed in her idol, causing Rainbow to see a passionate anger, ignited in eyes that normally bore respect and amazement whenever they were laid upon Rainbow. However, the fire, which she saw ignited in Scootaloo’s eyes at that point was enough to break her heart. The anger seemed to radiate from Scootaloo so much that Rainbow could practically feel the heat heaving into her fur from their mere contact. A younger Rainbow would’ve lashed out at the young filly, unable to handle, even the concept of, false accusations. Though now, Rainbow wanted nothing more than to cool her filly’s enraged spirit.

“Scootaloo… listen to me.”

“Why should I!”

“JUST… Listen to me, Scootaloo.”

Scootaloo jolted her head away from Rainbow Dash. The new, chilling disconnect between the two was almost more painful than the anger the filly gave with eye contact.

“Listening.”

“I, I… If ya really heard everything. Then… I can kinda see why you’d think that.”

Scootaloo glared up at Rainbow.

“So, I was right, hu!?”

“NO, no. Please… let me finish.”

Scootaloo scuffled back into Rainbow’s lap.

“I was havin’ a little talk with your parents. I’m sorry if that made ya uncomfortable.”

Scootaloo jeered at Rainbow.

“They’re great ponies, Sport. They really are. An’ I can tell they mean well. But…

“But, what?”

Rainbow took a deep breath.

“Ya deserve better, Scootaloo. You deserve a foalhood, you deserve somepony who’ll actually be there for you, who’ll pull ya back up when you’re off your hooves. Who won’t scare you into running out into a dangerous storm at night.”

Scootaloo rolled her eyes.

“Yeah, an’ I’m supposed t’ get all that from some orphanage, miles away from here. I appreciate your concern, Rainbow Dash. But, I’ve been handling myself pretty well for years. I’m pretty sure I can handle a few more.”

Scootaloo was noticeably shaking, the enflamed anger that once radiated from her fur had now replaced with a freezing, intense fear. Her eyes glimmered with a false confidence, as she tried her hardest to seem confident and mature next to Rainbow.

“That’s not what I’m saying, Scoots. I would never send you away from your friends. Never ever!”

“Then what, what are you saying?”

Rainbow Dash briefly closed her eyes, before staring right down to meet Scootaloo.

“Scootaloo, d’ ya… d’ ya wanna come live with me?”

Scootaloo’s eyes suddenly shot open. Her statuesque position unnerved Rainbow.

“I mean, it’s not like ya have to or anything, it’s jus’…”

Fumbling over her words, Rainbow failed to notice the adorable grin, slowly building on Scootaloo’s face. Finally culminating, as she was interrupted by the filly jumping up, embracing her in a warm, loving hug.

“Thank you, so much. Rainbow Dash.”

Rainbow felt the drizzle of tears, flooding from Scootaloo’s eyes, as they poured down her fur. She pulled the little one closer to her, gently stroking her back.

“There, there, kiddo. Let it out.”

“I… I don’t know what to say."

“Ya don’t have t’ say anything.”

“But, but I was so mean!”

“We all lash out sometimes, Scootaloo. It’s totally natural. I mean, just look at some ‘a the crazy stuff I’ve done.”

Scootaloo let out a faint chuckle, causing Rainbow to show a small grin in return.

The minutes seemed to fade away, as Rainbow held Scootaloo close to her, the filly’s tears continuing to roll through her fur, though she couldn’t have had the slightest of cares. The state of bliss she felt couldn’t be matched by any experience she had to compare it to. She had never been readier for this new age of her life to begin.

Rainbow soon felt the tears ceasing to drip, causing her to place Scootaloo back into her lap, looking her in the eye with a kind smile.

“All better now?”

Scootaloo wiped her eyes with her hoof.

“Yeah, yeah I’m good. Celestia, I don’t know what came over me.”

“Well duh. The most awesomest pony in all of Equestria just said you could live with her!”

Scootaloo chuckled, almost sneezing as a result.

“No, I mean it, Rainbow Dash. I was mean t’ you, I said all those horrible things t’ you back there. And yet… And yet you still wanna take me in.”

Rainbow placed her hoof on Scootaloo’s shoulder.

“Listen, Scoots. You were mad, we all get mad sometimes. I’d kinda be a huge hypocrite if I wen’ off on ya for somethin’ like that. An’ it ain’t like ya didn’t have a reason, you thought that I’d betrayed your trust. Anypony ’d be furious if that happened to them. But most importantly, Scootaloo. An’, I wan’ you t’ remember this. I love you, we’re family, and families don’t let petty little stuff like that get in the way ‘a the important stuff. Sure, I’ll be there t’ teach you a lesson if ya end up doin’ somethin’ wrong, but sometimes, when we feel hurt, we just have t’ let it all out. There ain’t nothin’ wrong about that."

Scootaloo smiled up at Rainbow Dash, the uncertainty that had been there was now seeming to fade, leaving only genuine Hapieness and vulnerability.

“Thanks… Rainbow Dash.”

“Don’t mention it, little buddy.”

Rainbow couldn’t have been more joyful. However, Scootaloo suddenly gave a worried expression.

“So, does this mean that things are gonna be different now?"

“What, of course not! Well… I’m probably gonna have to make sure ya go to bed early on school nights, do all your homework, ya know, the boring adult stuff, yada, yada, yada. But, other than that, things are still gonna be absolutely, positively awesome!”

Rainbow winked at Scootaloo.

“You promise?”

“I thought you’d know by know that I’m not the kinda pony t’ lie about stuff like that.”

Scootaloo let out a snicker at Rainbow’s comment.

“Meh, I do that stuff anyway.”

Rainbow rolled her eyes.

“Come on, Scoots, cut the act already. I know you’re mature an’ all, but your still a filly. Sure, you CAN manage on your own. But nopony your age should have to, and YOU don’t need to anymore. So, if you’re ever struggelin’ with anything, don’t be afraid to let me know. Seriously, I know how hard school can get.”

“Okay… fine. I guess getting help from the coolest pony in all of Equestria is better than doing it on my own.”

Scootaloo grinned at Rainbow, raising her eyebrow.

“Ha, there’s the Scootaloo I know!” Rainbow exclaimed, rubbing Scootaloo’s mane.

“Buuuuut.” Rainbow expelled, clenching back her hoof.

“Since we are on the topic of boring adult stuff.”

Scootaloo braced herself.

“What the hey were you thinking coming out here!?”

“WHAT? This is always where I go t’ relax!”

“Yeah, but you should ‘a known how dangerous it would ‘a been after that storm. Have you seen all the trees?! The clubhouse even!”

Scootaloo glanced down, a disappointed glow in her eye.

“Yeah, I should ‘a known…”

Rainbow suddenly felt a twang of guilt in the back of her neck. The tragedy of the pile of rubble, which stood before her, now finally starting to sink in.

“Hey, hey don’t worry about it, Scoots, I’m sorry this had t’ happen to ya. L, l… listen. I know it’ll never be the same. But, I’m sure you an’ your friends’ll build one twice as awesome.”

Scootaloo raised an eyebrow.

“You promise it’ll be twice as awesome?”

“Three times even! An’, I’m here t’ help out anyway I can.”

Scootaloo gave a weak smile.

“Thanks, Rainbow Dash.”

“No, problem, kiddo… Seriously though. What were you doin’ here if ya knew it wasn’t safe?”

Scootaloo shrugged.

“Where else was I gonna go?”

Rainbow Dash was stunned at Scootaloo’s response. It seemed so apparent, yet simultaneously tragic.

“C, come on, let’s just get outta here. I need t’ have one more little talk with your parents. Then we can get started on… whatever we wanna call this.”

Scootaloo grinned, jumping up into Rainbow’s hoofs.

Rainbow gave a confident grin, her wings began to rapidly spin, creating a raucous gust of wind. Then, in barely a moment, she launched off into the sky.

Despite having seen it a few times at this point, Scootaloo’s eyes still shone with wonder as she marvelled at how high she was.

As seemed like routine now, Rainbow, soared through the light blue, sky, Scootaloo safely in her hoofs. She grinned down at the young filly, though she was still busy glaring down at the worker ponies below them.

Rainbow often considered herself to be rather thorough when flying, always factoring every minute detail of her surroundings and acting accordingly. However, the same couldn’t be said whilst she was on the ground. Thus, she hadn’t noticed the minor build up of liquid on her pause, as a result of her being in contact with the wet ground. Furthermore, the movement was far too miniscule, and Scootaloo herself far too occupied, for either pony to notice the young filly slowly slipping and slipping and slipping from Rainbow’s grasp. Until…

Rainbow suddenly felt lighter.

“Wait, Wh, Wh, what?”

She glared down, the orange filly now plummeting towards the ground.

“Ahhhhhhhhhhhh”

“SCOOTALOO!”

Rainbow shot down, a colourful stream beginning to flicker behind her… Still not fast enough.

The ground seemed so close to the orange filly, when she was suddenly grasped by a pair of cyan hooves grasped her, clutching her tight.

Only a split second later, the two bashed onto the ground, rolling along it with fierce momentum.

It seemed like an eternity before the tumbling finally ceased, sending Rainbow Dash into a frenzy of rapid breathing. The experience already beginning to seem like a blur. Though a wave of panic suddenly hit her, causing her to quickly opening her hoofs, revealing a terrified, shaking, but ultimately unharmed orange filly.

Rainbow took a sigh of relief, her breath beginning to catch up. However, he eyes suddenly widened, as she once again clutched Scootaloo, diving out of the way of a large tractor.

Managing to land on her hoofs, Rainbow glared up at the tractor, a furious glimmer in her eye. It came to an abrupt stop.

“What the hey was that!?”

A dark red Pegasus stallion emerged from the tractor.

“I’m sorry, mam. But civilians aren’t supposed to… Rainbow Dash!?”

Rainbow’s head jolted up, making direct eye contact with the pony. Her pupils widened.

“Scarlet Speeder!?”

“That’s my name… Sorry for almost gettin’ ya there.”

Scarlet rubbed the back of his neck. Rainbow groaned.

“Look, its fine, I’d honestly rather it’d been me than somepony who can’t react as fast… But what the hey ‘re you even doin’ here?”

Scarlet tilted his head.

“Come again.”

“I mean, don’t you live in Cloudsdale? And, ain’t it illegal to hire ponies your age for this kinda stuff.”

“Well, for your first question. Some stuff went down with whatever mum and dad had t’ be here for. An’, now we gotta be here a little while longer. Can’t say how long. As for your second question…”

Scarlet shrugged.

“We’re jus’ as hard workin’ as any older pony, an’ it ain’t like we’re little fillies anymore. We got the energy for it. So, I really don’t see why ma age should be a problem.”

Rainbow frowned.

“Yeah, but…”

“IS IT OVER!” Screamed Scootaloo, still clinging to Rainbow’s hoofs.

Scarlet tilted his head.

“The hey?”

“I assume ya remember this one.”

Rainbow opened up her hoofs, revealing Scootaloo, still curled up, but her eyes now wide open.

“Oh, hey there, Scootaloo, how ya been? Ya know, except f’ the whole, almost runnin’ you over thing.”

Scootaloo suddenly felt so embarrassed, memories from that night coming flooding back to her.

“Yeah… things ‘re good, yeah.”

Scarlet grinned.

“Well, happy t’ here that, li’l one. One you’re still a bad flank on that scooter.”

Scootaloo chuckled.

“You are so going down!”

Rainbow glanced down at Scootaloo, scowling.

“In a few years.” Scootaloo mumbled

Rainbow smiled, giving an approving nod.

“Alright then, Scarlet, me an’ Scoots here ‘ve got places to be. An’, I’m sure you’ve got lot’s ‘a work t’ do. That is, if your parents ‘re okay with ya bein’ here.”

Rainbow raised an eyebrow. Scarlet shrugged.

“Meh, I doubt they’d really care… Now, y’all ‘d best mosey along. I got a lot ‘a trees to clear. And…”

He glanced down at Scootaloo.

“This really ain’t a place for foals.”

Scarlet smiled at the two mares, before retreating back into the tractor, which quickly returned to trudging along the ground.

However, Rainbow continued to stare out at it, causing Scootaloo to show a confused expression.

“What is it, Rainbow.”

Rainbow continued to stare out into the distance.

“Oh, nothing. This really ain’t place for foals, is all.”

She immediately cut from her trance. She glanced down at Scootaloo, grinning.

“Come on, let’s get outta here. You’ve had enough excitement for one day. Let’s just get you settled into your new home.”

Scootaloo squealed in excitement.

“Oh, my gosh, I can’t believe this is actually happening!”

Rainbow chuckled.

“Easy there, little buddy. I just have t’ have one last chat with your parents. Then we can go home.”

Rainbow frowned, noticing a slight cut on Scootaloo’s forehead.

“You sure your okay after that fall.” Rainbow mumbled, inspecting the cut.

Scootaloo pushed away Rainbow’s hoof.

“Honestly, I’m fine. Celestia, you’re acting like Fluttershy.”

Rainbow giggled.

“Sorry, Scoots, that’s kinda my job now. An’ you of all ponies know how seriously I take my job.”

Rainbow winked at Scootaloo.

Scootaloo grinned up at Rainbow, still shaking in excitement.

“Come on.”

Rainbow, once again, took Scootaloo into her hoofs, making sure she had a firm grip before taking off.

The flight to Scootaloo’s old house was miniscule, though it still allowed Rainbow time to ponder. It had only been one day, and already she had almost gotten the filly she had sworn to protect seriously injured. However, unlike her previous doubts, these thoughts were quickly sashayed, with her natural confidence now in full control again.

“Even the best ponies make mistakes.” She thought to herself, confirming her tight grip on Scootaloo.

Her interaction with Scarlet also plagued her mind. She couldn’t help but escape her belief that such a dangerous job was no place for a teenage stallion. Though her train of thought was quickly cut short, as the two ponies arrived at the small house.

“Well we’re here.” Rainbow announced.

She glanced down at Scootaloo.

“Are you absolutely, positively certain this is what you want, Scootaloo?”

Scootaloo stared up at Rainbow, giving one of the largest, most adorable grins, the mare had ever seen.

“More than anything!”