• Published 1st Feb 2018
  • 996 Views, 20 Comments

Once You Reach Rock Bottom - PhantomVortex



Follow a hero as he transforms himself from a villain as he undergoes new trails and experiences.

  • ...
3
 20
 996

What Doesn't Kill You

The doors burst wide open as the galloping changeling rushed towards the front counter. Patients and staff alike stare at the unreformed changeling. It had been an entire seasonal cycle since the reform had happened. For the citizens of Baltimare, unreformed changelings had become a myth.

"Mam, I found this mare laying about the beach. She appears to be in a state of chronic anaemia. She must see a doctor at once!" Exclaimed Synapse as he approached the counter.

The desk attendant then hit the com and requested "I need any available staff ready at the front desk. We have another case of emergency in relation to anemia."

Synapse stared at the unconscious mare's pale apple green mane as it covered his shoulder. "It appears Alacard helped himself to a feeding frenzy, ...or perhaps it's more of the vast spread chaos that amuses him. " Synapse thought to himself.

The nurse's hoof glided away from the intercom. "Thank you for helping a mare in need. She will be attended shortly sir...?".

"Synapse, you may call me Synapse." Synapse responded.

"Synapse? That's an interesting name. It's the same name given to the link between two neurones. A meeting of identities sharing a concord. It's kinda romantic. In a sense, Synapse can be interpreted as harmony." Explained the nurse with a bashful smile.

"Um.. Thank you." Synapse responded awkwardly.
The changeling had noticed her soft flirtatious stare but wasn't sure how to interpret her interaction. All of the other ponies around them had been whispering to one another while staring at the unreformed changeling.

"Oh, but where are my manners. My name is Gentle Heart." Mentions the pale aquamarine mare. As she rubs the back of her white-gold maned head nervously. The mare began calming down after receiving a smile from Synapse.

As the two shared gentle looks at one another, the door to the emergency hallway burst open.
Multiple nurses galloped out and lifted the mare off Synapse's back and onto a stretcher. Out of the four medics scrambling to get the mare into an emergency room, a stallion wearing a lab coat approached Synapse.

"The patient appears to be in a state of shock, but her stern expression indicates that the anemia isn't a threat to her life since she appears to have enough fight left in her.
Did you by any chance see what may have caused this?" The doctor questioned.

"I'm sorry, but i found her like this on the beach. I don't know what may have been the cause." Synapse responds.

"Well, thank you for bringing her and helping a pony in need. You are welcome to stay if you wish to observe her progress." The doctor mentions with a tired and cold smile.

"I, uh, I have some matters to attend to. I appreciate the offer but I will deny it. It puts me at ease to know that she'll be alright. Thank you." Synapse answers with a slightly shamed expression.

"Very well, but may I at least have your name? I believe the patient deserves to know the name of her hero." Persuades the doctor.

"My name is Synapse." The changeling responds with a bashful look.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Synapse, I'm doctor Lister. I'm the head of this beach side facility. ...Now, I must get back to attending my patients." The doctor concludes with a weary smile as he trots over to the moving stretcher. The medics soon disappear into the emergency room allowing Gentle Heart to continue her conversation with Synapse.

"May I ask, what brings you to Baltimare? It's unusual to encounter a changeling." Questions the bashful mare.

"I'm... I seek knowledge. " Response the changeling.

"Oh, so you are here as a tourist?
Well, Baltimare isn't a great place for sight-seeing, but I hope you enjoy your stay." nurse gentle heart explains as she gives a gentle confused look.

"...I'm not here to sight-see. At the risk of sounding stale, I hope to find myself wherever I may find him." Mentions Synapse with a slight concerned expression.

"Oh! I apologize for touching the subject. I understand that it must be difficult for a traditional changeling to find acceptance in Equestria. ...There's no reason to be concerned around me Synapse. I'm not a part of what the world is about. ...I've actually never met a changeling. I feel honored to have met you the way you are." Responds nurse gentle heart as her concentrated glance begins wandering about.

"If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by what the world is about?" Questions Synapse while tilting his head slightly to the right.

"It's just about the end of my night shift. How about I treat you to some delicious apple pie. It's imported directly from pony ville." Mentions Gentle Heart as she begins to organize her station while another nurse patiently waits behind her to take her place.

As the two ponies walk out of the infirmary and onto the beach's board walk, Synapse attempts to continue the conversation.

"So... What did you mean by 'what the world's about'?" Questions Synapse while trotting alongside Gentle Heart.

"Here's a riddle, what breaks a family, puts people on the streets, and causes the insane to break into laughter? ....As a matter of fact, it causes all of us to break in some way." Riddles Gentle Heart.

"Life, society, abuse, hatred, hurt, division, tainted Love, hurt trust?" Questions Synapse sequentiality.

"Good answers but what do they all have in common?" Mocks Gentle Heart.

"A governing force of some kind?" Responds Synapse.

"Do you give up? Well, the answer is pressure." Comments Gentle Heart.

"Pressure?" Questions Synapse with peaking curiosity.

"Yes pressure. It's the force that gives us terror of what is hidden. It's what breaks the strongest of love into hatred and disgust. It's what corrupts the most noble of knights. It's a laughing joke on all of our attempts towards abstinence from life's perversions. It's what causes us to deny the ones we love the most a second chances. It's what creates fear, self-doubt, and insecurity. Yes, pressure. I as a nurse know the feeling all too well. But, as a nurse, I never let it control me. ...That said, we all make mistakes while pressured." Rants Gentle Heart as she turns to face the sky for a moment while trotting.

"Did you notice how cold of a pony Dr. Lister is? ...Pressure has caused the good Dr. to break emotionally. He was once the top doctor in Baltimare, but with great status comes great responsibility along with great pressure. One day, he cut into a patient's lung while he nervously spasmed for the first time during an operation. The poor stallion lost everything." Continues Gentle Heart. While switching her view towards Synapse then the slightly towards the ground.

"That's awful..." Responds Synapse with a concerned expression.

"Yes, pressure is the governing force that creates all misfortunes. Accidents such as muscle spasms can't be avoided, but choices/decisions can. Sometimes pressure can be a good thing. Like when an eagle throws its young off a nest. ...Unfortunately, pressure also has its downsides. When the changeling reform took place, Canterlot declared that any unreformed changelings where to be rounded up and deported back to the badlands." Mentions Gentle Heart.

"Yes, I heard of the events, but i never expected for the Princes herself to declare such a decree." Exclaims Synapse.

"The Princes is a bit of an imperialistic hag, or at least she was during the time of my grandmother. The decree was actually issued by the council with the excuse that changelings couldn't be trusted." Explains Gentle Heart.

"I've noticed the expressions that ponies have been giving me as we walk by. ...They all seem paranoid." Mentions Synapse.

The nurse takes a moment to gaze around at the flocks of ponies staring at them as they walk by.

"...Racism are old ideas pressured into the youth of a population by the propaganda of old war times and of imperialistic expansion that manipulated false-hatred and stereotypes into the minds of our grand parents." Remarks Gentle Heart.

As the two ponies trot alongside one another. Wide gaps of boardwalk form around them.

"That's where the choices come into play. Most ponies choose to fit in and follow the popular belief being preached at them by a persuading force. Like when a classmate offers you a drug or when you are pressured by 'ideal' sexuality propaganda. Individuals, families/friends, and governments all use pressure to submit ponies into avoidable undoable acts. Like in the case of drugs or the abuse of free-love, sometimes addictions or shame forever cage a pony into a life of perversions and self destruction that will also harm those around them. As depicted in the lyrics for Hotel Canterlot. If you've ever heard that song." References Gentle Heart.

The two pass by a news paper stand while trotting. The article on the front page depicts a zebra being arrested. The title read, "Zebra activists detained after assaulting peaceful pony supremacist rally!" The mare and the changeling observe the stand but continue trotting down the boardwalk.

"Ideas are recycled in our society under pressure. The Old follow their trusted old-ways at their convenience, the Adults follow the media/popular beliefs, and the young learn from their elders. All pressured by the fear of "not doing what is 'ideally' necessary". While In reality, it's the fear of not fitting In. ...But ponies like me follow our hearts while using our wits. *Giggles* I choose not to gain from the world while leaving it colder, or would it be warmer? *Giggles* ...I choose to give. And not in the common materialistic manner that ponies use to give themselves a false sense of nobility." Mentions Gentle Heart while shifting from a grim look to a warm smile.

The nurse turns to Synapse while smiling.

"Responsibility, love, and making noble choices are all parts of being a good nurse!" Exclaims nurse Gentle Heart with an exuberant attitude.

"I must say. I have never met a pony such as yourself. You...I think you're the very definition of a true hero. My admirations to you nurse Gentle Heart." Mentions Synapse with a warm smile.

The nurse blushes and turns to face forward with bashful gestures.

"Hey look! The pie shop is right up ahead! Hahaha..." Gentle Heart exclaims nervously.

The mare catches her emotions and turns to observe the changeling that now appears to be taller and broader in appearance. She begins to feel a sense of soothing comfort around him.

"Synapse, I believe there's a hero in all of us. It keeps us honest, it gives us strength, and makes us noble. ...Thank you very much for the compliment. It means a lot. Uuuh! I only wish other ponies would be so courageous as to be steady and show humility along with compassion to others!" Gentle Heart expresses with exaggerated gestures while maintaining a bitter-sweet expression.

'Humility and compassion? Was that what I lost? In turn, did I loose my nobility? It appears that what I lost may have been respect for my self and for those around me. ...This mare, I owe her my gratitude. Although, Is it blind respect for her status and actions? Like the respect I had for my commanding officers in the spec-ops unit, or is it that I respect her for who she is? Is this the lost respect? The respect for an individual's reality. Not judging it and not interfering in it like a lover that wrecks a home? Can ponies share this type of respect to one another someday? Perhaps such mutual respect is the answer. Perhaps respect and compassion end the perversions set be pressure. She makes me...feel... harmonious...' ponders Synapse to himself.

"Stories of heroes are rare in our age. The elements of harmony shouldn't be the only participants of the practice towards harmony." Mentions Gentle Heart. Interrupting Synapse's thoughts.

"I...agree..." Agrees Synapse while flashing a warm smile.

"I thought I was the only mare in this city courageous enough to care for the sake of compassion to others. ...Until I met you." States Gentle Heart as she turns towards Synapse with an infatuated smile.

The mare and changeling finally reached the pie shop while gazing upon one another. As they peaked through the front entry, a soothing sent of cinnamon apple pies surfed through their nostrils. Synapse and Gentle Heart parted their vision from one another only to find the shop workers closing.

"What? What's going on? Did you sell all of the pies already?" Questions Gentle Heart with a disappointed tone.

"We're sorry mam, but we received word that Big MacIntosh won't be delivering today. They found him collapsed outside of the city. He appears to have come up with a case of anemia. Whatever that is." Explains the shop keeper while rubbing his head.

"Oh fui, I guess I'll have to treat you some other time Synapse." Mentions Gentle Heart as she turns towards Synapse and then back to the shop keeper.

"Come back tomorrow! I'm sure we'll have thing sorted out by then. Thank you for your visit!" Mentions the shopkeeper as Synapse and Gentle Heart turn away and begin walking out.

"Well, that was disappointing." States Gentle Heart as they walk onto the boardwalk.

"I really appreciate the time we spent Gentle Heart. Thank you." Mentions Synapse with a peaceful warm smile.

As they gaze at each other. With an infatuated intention, the background becomes illuminated with a white-gold light that flickers for a second before being followed by a loud disturbance.

An explosion followed by dozens more began to engulf the beach! Crowds of ponies begin fleeing the area as screams become silent from all directions before the screeching of the mortars once again compliment the agonized ponies.

The nurse and the changeling separate while turning their gaze towards multiple directions. In the distance, a dark zeppelin peaks from over the horizon. Synapse notices a dark cloud forming around the aircraft as a new barrage of projectile leave the haul of the vessel.

More explosions engulf the beach as Synapse turns to Gentle Heart.

"We've got to get out of here!" Shouts Synapse at the mare.

"We can't, there are injured ponies on the beach!" Exclaims Nurse Gentle Heart as she rushes towards the crowd's opposite direction.

'Dammit, the area must be a capture point of some sort. Remaining on the beach is a Terrible idea!' Thinks Synapse to himself.

"Right behind you!" Mentions Synapse as they gallop towards the fallen and dismembered ponies.

Synapse notices that the beach has been tinted red and black with the charcoaled remains of the unfortunate. Explosions remain at a constant around them. The Apple shop they had ran out off had been hit and only splinters remained. While in the distance, more Zeppelins peaked over the dark cloud.

'A damn invasion force? Who's invading? Better question, why am I running towards the mortars? ...is it worth saving those that have been forsaken by fate? Is a pony's life worth my own? ...Is a hero a simple idea of honor and glory, or is it much more?' ponders Synapse while avoiding incoming projectiles.

While maneuvering around the beach Synapse fails to notice the unstable magical residue on the sand.

"Crap!" Shouts Synapse.

*Boom!*

The nurse halts and turns back to see Synapse engulfed by the blast.

"Synapse!" Exclaims the mare with an agonized shock.

As the smoke clears off from the darkened sand, a dark beast leaps out of the cloud of glass and cinder.
Gliding over Gentle Heart and breathing green flames that burn the magical mortars out of existence.

"..Synapse?" Questions the mare shocked and confused.

As the mare gazes upon the giant pitch black dragon with a crown of thorns and glowing white eyes. Gentle Heart becomes entranced into a state of thought. 'That's rite! Changelings have the ability to shipshape. Although, most transmissions have been recorded to be only illusions. ...Could this be an actual transformation? ...So, this is the power of a...changeling. ...How in Faust's name did Canterlot survive an invasion from such powerful creatures?'

A deep rawr echoes out of the transformed changeling as he shields Gentle Heart from the barrage of mortars.

"Go! Use your magic and help the wounded. I'll cover you by clearing the area from any incoming projectiles." Mentions Synapse in a deep draconic voice.

The dragon lifts itself off the ground and takes to the sky in the direction of the zeppelins.

As Synapse continues to catch the magical blasts on his scales, thoughts emerge from the changeling. 'Pressure can sometimes be a good thing... Like when an eagle throws its young off a nest... Am I pressured to save to risk myself for the sake of the ponies under siege? ...No, good pressure is not pressure at all. No pony wants me to save them. No pony expects me to save them. Compassion is what I feel. Compassion is what an eagle allows their young as a parent by pushing them off a nest. Compassion is not pity, it is sympathy, respect, and love for another. This damn nation, no, this damn world has tainted the meaning of the word to a generic Hoofle definition. Everything runs on the idea of giving and receiving to the point where compassion isn't seen as a selfless act of valor anymore. Gentle Heart is right, there aren't enough stories of real heroes in our modern era. ...BUT THAT CAN CHANGE. I CAN CHANGE!

The dragon speeds up while catching the mortars on his wings. If a mortar where to pass his wings, he'd make sure to whip them out of existence with his powerful tail.

On the ground, crowds of ponies stop fleeing in astonishment at the sight a dragon helping them.

"Has the infirmary been completely evacuated?" Questions Dr. Lister as a nurse approaches him.

"Yes, the patients are being transported directly to Baltimare General" Answers the pale yellow nurse with dark blue eyes and a white mane.

Dr. Lister switches his gaze from the distant nurse Gentle Heart to nurse Apricot. Another couple dozen staff members approach behind her.

"Good work but our duty as medics is to help save as many lives as we can. Given the circumstances, I understand if not all of you share the point of view. Although, I for one believe that my duty is out there on the battlefield. Our patients are in good hands now, so for any pony that wants to aid Nurse Gentle Heart along side me, that would be most appreciated." Preaches Dr. Lister as he begins to gallop over towards the battlefield.

Meanwhile as the enemy becomes increasingly close to landing on the beach.

"Commander, a dragon has appeared out of nowhere and is flying in our direction!" Informs a storm unit while looking through a black and teal telescope.

"A dragon aiding the ponies of Baltimare...? Remarks commander Storm as he snags the telescope.

"Well, would you look at that! A dragon is aiding the ponies of equestria. Very well! ...Seize the magic mortars! Arm the cannons! Magic can't penetrate a dragon's scales, but spiked cannon balls can! Ha!" Commands Storm in a mocking manner. As he steps forward to lean on the deck's railing.

"Now, why are they sending a single dragon against a fleet?." Whispers Commander storm to himself. While invoking a concentrated grin on his face.

A few miles away on the tallest point of Baltimare, Allacard sits with a large black umbrella hat while sipping a glass of blood. The colt observes the warzone while resting near the edge of the building.

"It appears that Synapse is still a formidable opponent. Although, that dragon form must be exhausting. I wonder how much longer he can keep it up. *Sip* ...I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Hehe" mocks Allacard as he ends with a bright smile.