• Published 9th Jan 2018
  • 1,030 Views, 21 Comments

Potter-luck and ponies - StoneGuardian



This was not what Harry had in mind, when he decided to create a ritual to "bring ponies to the wizarding world". But he would rise to the challenge or...nothing or, he would rise to it, end of discussion.

  • ...
7
 21
 1,030

Chapter 02. The morning after

The next morning, for Harry, started with a scream. The high-pitched scream of a preteen boy that later would deny having screamed like a little girl. Said boy was one Ronald “Ron” Bilius Weasley and he may be forgiven for it in time as everyone would have screamed had they woken up to the sight of a vaguely equine shaped, oversized, black, bug in their bed. Said bug had previously been sleeping, curled up like a puppy on the covers of Ron’s bed, and was now wide awake and screaming in response. Increasing the number of screams from the Gryffindor first year dorm to two. It would not stay like that.

Roused by the screams, Neville Longbottom awoke to find himself hugging a dark brown pony colt with a mane a lighter shade of brown and a build clearly implying that it would grow up to be a draught pony. The colt had likewise awoken and was too now looking at his unexpected snuggle partner. Both would look at each other for a few more seconds before they simultaneously screamed, pushed the other away and fell out of bed on opposite sides of said bed.

Meanwhile in the next bed over, Seamus Finnegan was looked in a starring contest with a clover colored, sandy maned unicorn colt, neither of them overly bothered by the bedlam outside their bed hangings. Finally, after a perceived eternity, the silence between them was broken by the colt:” Hi. I’m Lucky Fire. Nice to meet you”, it said and extended a hoof towards Seamus.

Seamus carefully shock the colt’s hoof and replied:” Likewise. My name is Seamus Finnegan…and I would really like to know just how you managed to get into my bed”.

For a moment, it seemed like the colt intended to answer, but it was cut off by yet another scream. This time coming from the bed next to the entrance to the dorm room.

Booth Seamus and Lucky Fire popped their head out from the bed hangings just in time to see Seamus’s friend, Dean Thomas, hightail it out of the dorm…in nothing but a pair of boxers.

Not a minute went by before he came running back in. Probably blushing, through his dark skin made that hard to discern, and followed by raucous laughter. He sprinted through the room without acknowledging anyone and disappeared in the bathroom. Slamming and locking the door behind him.

The reason for his actions then languidly snaked itself out from his bed sheets. Revealing itself to be a Zebra colt wearing a slightly to big voodoo mask and shaking with silent laughter.

Suddenly Ron’s and whoever else shared his bed right now’s screams, who had by now faded more or less into the background with their constant, unchanging volume, really Ron and his guest had quite the pairs of lungs on them, cut off.

Seamus at first thought that they had fainted from lack of oxygen, it had happened to Ron before, when his older twin brothers put a rubber spider into his bed during his second night at Hogwarts. But then he caught the oppressive feel permeating the room. Turning towards the source, that being the bed of one Harry James Potter, he contemplated that this must be what killing intent felt like. Hey, if magic can be real then so can something from an anime.

They should have expected this, really, they should have. It too had happened before, when they started school Harry had always been up with the sun but a week into term he had started on some kind of project in his downtime. A project that had apparently kept him up deep into the nights and as a result made him miss out on sleep. Harry without enough sleep was somewhat cranky in the mornings when woken. Especially Sunday mornings.

The hangings opened and revealed a disheveled looking Harry Potter with a look in his bloodshot eyes, framed by rings so dark they seemed to consume all light in the vicinity, that said that his usual attitude of “Love and Tolerance” was about as far from his mind as possible.

The temperature in the room dropped dramatically, “is that frost gathering on my bedposts?”, Seamus absently wondered, and then Harry spoke, his voice carrying an odd, slightly higher pitched echo:” Is it too much to ask for, for a guy to get some sleep here without being woken up by people screaming the whole castle down?”
Said echo turned out to be an equally disheveled looking Pegasus colt, steel gray in coloration and with an onyx mane, it looked at them with emerald eyes alight with anger and wings spread far. Tiny arches of lightning dancing across them. Leaving aside the lightning, Seamus thought it was adorable with its angry look resembling that of a wet cat and the puffed-out chest fluff that he had to fight down the urge to pet. He was likely to lose a few fingers if he tried he was sure.



Harry looked around the dorm room after having voiced his complaint, catching sight of Neville trying to split his attention between Harry and something on the other side of his bed. That something being a brown earth pony colt doing the same with Neville. Next up was Seamus’s bed, where he caught sight of, not unexpected of course, his Irish classmate. But also of a green unicorn colt. Moving his eyes a bit further towards the door he spied what looked like a young zebra taking of an oversized voodoo mask, revealing blue eyes and a black Mohawk. Lastly his eyes fell on Ron’s bed. Where he saw nothing as the hangings where closed. He could have opened them of course, but that would have required him to stand up. Something he did not want to do right now. Only after having observed all this he turned his attention towards his side and slightly downwards, where he saw the expected pony companion the spell had given him. Unlike the rest of the Ponies in the room he looked solid while the rest of them had a somewhat ghostly quality to them. Harry theorized that it was because the pony was linked to him so it would look and maybe even feel more solid to him then to others. The same applying to the others were their pony would be more real to them than other people’s ponies.

He took him in, black mane, silver coat and the same green eyes that stared at him every day in the mirror. Then he looked at the wings, after finding out that he was a natural flyer and that his family used to earn their money by manipulating the weather for farmers, before the statue of secrecy screwed them over and they used their elementalist powers to make themselves a name as powerful combat mages instead, he was not surprised at all. Slowly he extended his closed left fist towards his new pony companion and introduced himself:” Harry Potter”.

“Lightning Strike”, the colt answered bumping its right hoof against Harry’s fist. Feeling surprisingly solid for something that should be no more than a specter. Solidifying his theory. “You think they are going to answer any time soon”, the colt asked and Harry shock his head.

“Nah, I think that is unlikely. I honestly don’t even expect an answer, I really asked more in a rhetoric sense than any wish for an answer,” Harry spoke before getting up. As much as he would love nothing more than to crawl back into his warm bed and sleep some more, he took the Princesses words to heart. There would be a lot to do, especially as, now that he was, a: more awake and b: not awed out of his mind, he had registered what they had told him. His spell had not only given every Hogwarts student a pony companion as he had intended, but every human on earth. The ministry was going to call for his head for this. Sure, everyone was aware that their masquerade was about to come to an end, satellites and cameras became more and more advanced and the inflexible pureblood elite that had run the wizarding world for hundreds of years was without question losing the race the other participants did not even know was going on. Already there where countless metube videos of wizards having been caught performing magic because they had failed to take notice of the cameras around them. Ignorance, Arrogance, and the time needed to create ever new, ever more sophisticated concealment spells, not to talk about the time needed for them to become widespread enough to be used effectively, would be their downfall. Specialists had calculated that with how things were going they would be unavoidably exposed within the decade. Of course, the fools in charge did not want to acknowledge this, obsessed with tradition and the status quo as they were, and so they were going to try and charge him with violating the statue even through his original spell had safeties integrated that would have made muggles unable to perceive the ponies should they come across a Hogwarts student or, later on, alumni. That left only muggleborn children too young for Hogwarts as potential leak, but adult muggles, or rather adults in general, had a great talent for explaining away things that do not fit into their view of the world. Child sees a pastel colored pony following after someone but adult can’t? Overactive imagination, they will grow out of it soon enough. That was honestly the only reason why they had made it to the 21st century without having been exposed.

Well, with the royal sister’s changes to his spell, the jig was up anyway. He was surprised that the ministry had not yet stormed the castle and arrested him, that may mean that they did not yet know of his identity. If that was the case he would have to gather information first. He needed to know how the muggles were dealing with the introduction of ponies into their lives, the government and the church especially. Now that magic was no longer and their world would not be much longer be a secret there were bound to be some crazy’s, religious and otherwise, that would be going around assaulting others for stupid reasons. He really hoped he could trust the muggle authorities and the higher ups in the various Judeo-Christian religions to deal with these people accordingly. He did not want another witch-hunt to happen, because as they were now the wizards would be helpless if the muggles decided to eradicate them. Harry sighted, it would obviously fall to him and his fellow Bronies, and Pegasisters of course, to unite the two societies now that the ponies had exposed the truth of the existence of magic far ahead of schedule. Harry really hoped that his new employers had some sort of backup plan in case that all this went to hell. Once he had completed his contemplation's he became aware of the stares of his roommates. “What?”, he asked.

“You are not surprised by a pony appearing in your bed. Why is that?”, Seamus asked, having apparently decided to play voice for the rest of the room.

“Like any other Brony on earth”, Harry began, “I have been informed of the current happenings by their royal highnesses”.

His classmates seemed to take his answer at face value, or at least they did not ask any more questions as to how or why and the Ponies apparently did either not know of his status as herald, the necklace he dimly remembered his armor having become once he had staggered into the dorm room hidden under his pj’s, or knew the value of discretion and did not call him on his little half-truth.

Seeing as there were no more questions for now Harry turned to his trunk, intent on retrieving his clothes for the day as well as shower supplies, when an owl landed on the windowsill closest to him. Abandoning his prior course of action, he opened the window and was not surprised when the owl extended its leg. Bearing a letter addressed to him.

He retrieved the letter and the owl flew away again. He closed the window and sat down on his bed, opening the letter.


Honored Herald Potter,

representing the Bronies of Hogwarts School we hereby invite you to an emergency meeting of every Brony in Hogwarts to decide how to deal with the current situation. Be aware that as Herald of the Royal sisters, your attendance is mandatory and failure to attend will be punished accordingly.

We will convent at 1800 hours in the meeting room behind the portrait of Rincewind the runner. The password is Ankh-Morpork.

Yours truly,

Liam Thorson, Solar Empire

Andrew Spawn, NLR


Harry groaned internally, this was going to suck.

Author's Note:

Well, it does seem as if my story has at least generated some interest. A big Thank You to all who gave a fav. and, or, decided to follow me. To those who down voted the story: I am sorry that my humble tries at telling a story do not meet your standards. But would it perhaps, just maybe, be possible to at least leave a short comment on what exactly bothered you so that my story obviously required a down vote?

Anyways have a nice day, or night depending on when and where you read this.