• Published 21st Jul 2012
  • 3,965 Views, 135 Comments

Her Diamonds - flyingcloudcakes



Spike has been told to keep his distance from Rarity, but it's not easy for him. Sparity, humanized

  • ...
4
 135
 3,965

Letters to the Princess

Chapter Three

<><3<><3<><3

“Pass the salt, will you, please?” Rarity asked politely, smiling at him from across the white oak table. They were eating lunch in her dinning room in the upper level of her boutique, where she lived and worked. The table was set with the finest china teacups and plates, and Spike felt a little out of place in such stylish quarters.

He reached over with the salt – the container was shaped like a budding flower, something he’d never seen before – and as he did, some of it spilled.

“Oh, no, that just won’t do!” Rarity exclaimed. “Throw some over your left shoulder, or you’ll have bad luck.”

Spike did as he was told, following her superstition, but all the while he was thinking, how could I possibly have bad luck? I’m having lunch with you. That’s got to be the best luck in the world!

Rarity smiled. “I’m so glad you’re joining me for lunch, Spike. It’s so rare that we spend any time together.”

“Oh.” Spike said, suddenly feeling guilty and overjoyed at the same time. She wants to spend time with me! “Well, I could drop by more often. You must need some help around here, sometimes, right? You have so many costumers. But you probably have it all under control, I mean, you’re so organized.”

“Oh, how you flatter me!” Rarity laughed. “I’m really not all that, but thank you. I do need help sometimes. In fact... I think tomorrow I could use an extra pair of hands.” She raised one perfectly sculpted eyebrow. “If you’re willing, that is.”

“Yes.” Spike said immediately.

“But you don’t even know what it is yet!” Rarity said, surprised but pleased.

“Oh, right,” Spike mumbled, blushing hard. He looked down at his hands, which were nervously tearing tiny threads out of the bottom of his shirt. “Well, um, what is it, then?”

“I’m sewing quite a lot of dresses tomorrow afternoon, and I’ve already done the first two, but it’s a large order. Do you think you could assist me?”

“Sure, of course!” Spike beamed at her. “I’d love to help you, Rarity.”

She smiled back. Spike couldn’t help but think how sophisticated and beautiful she looked smiling at him. “Fantastic. Come by around, say, noon?”

He nodded, and they went back to eating in silence.

<><3<><3<><3

Later, in his favorite chair in the corner of the library, Spike was thinking about Rarity, as he often did. He wondered if going to her dress shop today was the right thing to do. Sure, he liked her, really, really liked her, but maybe, just maybe –and here it hurt him to admit – Twilight was onto something. He did sort of hang on her every word.

Twi would be pretty angry if she knew I had lunch with her today, he thought. Screw what Twi would be, he thought. I don’t mean that, he thought. Yes I do, he thought. He sighed and put his head in his hands.

Just then – speak of the devil – Twilight Sparkle walked downstairs. She glanced at him for a long moment, thinking he wouldn’t notice, and then deemed him sufficiently approachable.

“Spike, can you take a note?” She asked, pulling her hair back.

Spike shrugged, frowning, still angry at her, but got out a piece of paper anyway. He poised his quill over the top right corner of the paper and looked up expectantly.

“Begin, ‘My dear Princess Celestia,’” Twilight cleared her throat. “’This week I learned a very important lesson about friendship and its boundaries.’”

Spike wrote furiously, mouthing the words a step behind his mentor.

“Continue, ‘I have learned that interfering in other people’s lives, even if your intentions are good, is wrong.’”

Spike looked up, startled, but beginning to understand.

Twilight gave him a small, apologetic smile. “’If you try to stop something from happening, it will hurt the people involved more than if you left it alone. Meddling in other’s affairs never goes well. You should let your friends make their own decisions. They usually know what’s best for them. Sincerely, your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle.’”

Spike finished writing, and threw the letter into the special fireplace, where it burst into green flame and flew up the chimney, on its way to the Princess.

Twilight turned to him, guilt in her eyes. “Spike, I’m sorry I ever tried to keep you away from Rarity. I was too harsh, and, though it pains me to admit it, I was... wrong. I still don’t approve, mind you, but I never meant to hurt you.” She laughed nervously. “I meant to do the opposite, actually.”

Spike sighed. “I know you were trying to do the right thing, but...” He scrunched up his nose. “Why did you have to be such a psycho about it?”

“Hey!” Twilight exclaimed, frowning. “Maybe it was a little crazy, but I was trying to help." Her face softened. "Can you forgive me?”

Spike held his chin in his hands for a long moment, as though deep in thought. Then he sighed again. “Yeah. Of course, I forgive you. We’re family.”

“Good.” Twilight smiled and reached out to ruffle his hair affectionately.

“Just don’t ever do that again, it was totally uncalled for!”

“Agreed.” She nodded shortly.

“So does this mean I can see Rarity again?” Spike chirped.

Twilight rolled her eyes. “You just completely missed the point of all of this, didn’t you? But whatever, it’s your life. Follow her like a lost puppy if you want to.”

Spike beamed, and then spoke all in a rush. “Good, because I had lunch with her today and she asked me to help her sew some dresses tomorrow. I sort of already said yes.”

“Spike!” Twilight looked surprised, and then she recovered because, really, she shouldn’t have been. “Do you even know how to sew?”

“Nope!” Spike said cheerily, looking around. “But...” He found was he was looking for on the shelf and grabbed a book entitled, Everything You Need To Know About Knitting, Sewing, and Dressmaking. “I can learn!”

He ran up the stairs, book under his arm, fully prepared to spend the night reading in his bed.

“Just so you're aware,” Twilight called up the stairs after him, “that title is inaccurate! They don’t actually tell you everything you need to know until Volume Three!”