• Published 17th Dec 2018
  • 980 Views, 45 Comments

My Little Mages: Amicitiae Tempestate - Foxhelm



With the Nightstalker gone, and the Pillars of Legend free, and the Summer Sun Celebration, what better time for a national festival. However, not everything goes according to plan. A My Little Mages retelling of My Little Pony the Movie (2017)

  • ...
5
 45
 980

The Friend You Need

Author's Note:

Aside from The Storm King, all the non-Mysticans are still pretty much like their movie renderings. Sans the Hippogriffs While I enjoy Didj's art, but making everyone truly humanoid takes the fantasy away, well in my point of view.
And song used:

Almost four days since Twilight et al started their journey in search of Novo and the Aas, as the sun was high in the sky baking the southern sands of the Badlands, the seven were in various stages of clasps and exhaustion as Rainbow Dash herself was drudging her feet she was so spent. All of them, sans Spike, had hair that was flat and drenched with sweat. Spike, however, despite his own thirst, was actually faring well, sparked on by the heat of the environment warming his exothermic blood. “We got to getting close to an oasis somewhere?” Spike said.

Applejack was the first to drop to her knees and one by one the others just flopped face first into the sand, “Ah told yall that we should have waited until nightfall.” the paladin complained before she went to her makeshift waterskin. Upon opening it she found it as dry as a bone. “If we don’t find water soon, none of us are going to make it.”

Rarity was the first of the others to try to get herself up, “I thought demigods were immortal and didn’t need water, food, air, or hear.” she said as she turned to Twilight.

The princess groaned as she struggled to set herself up, “I asked Celestia about that, she said demigods do die of old age, we’re talking at least three to four thousand years old, but they are pretty much just super-humans that don’t age until they reach one hundred years old.” Twilight informed in between pants.

Next to Pinkie was the skull of a human size vulture, after she gave a fairly demented laugh, “This guy might know which to go!” she exclaimed with so signs of her sanity still there. She placed the skull next to her ear and seemed to listen to it.

“Pinkie’s lost it,” Rainbow said as she and Fluttershy got up. “We’re dead.”

“What’s that, friend?” Pinkie asked the skull as she made it look her in the face, “We're lost?” Pinkie then threw the skull into the air as is reduced itself to dust in the wind as she started to laugh again clearly demented until she broke down into tears. “We’re all going to die!” she whaled before she coughed and fell onto her back.

Spike looked at everyone as they all seemed to reside themselves to death in the desert. He had to find some ray of hope, anything, a cactus he could get cactus juice from to help at least take the edge off of everyone’s thirst, a bird starting a decent as if to collect water from an oasis, even… “A ROAD!” the dragon shouted as he jogged a few paces ahead to a part of the desert that was worn from not an only foot but cart traffic. He ran back and dragged each and everyone to the road, to show them the road. “Look, there’s hope,” he said with a slight pant.

“You’re a lifesaver, Spiky-wiky,” Rarity said as she kissed the dragon on the lips in an embrace.

Twilight was the first to her feet, “Hold on to that Rarity, just because he found a road, that doesn’t mean…” she stopped with a gasp as she looked toward the south and saw, “A city!” she shouted.

Pinkie then jumped into the air and seemed to be fully restored, save her sweat-drenched clothes, “We are doing it, you guys!” the jester shouted and started to skip along the road in front of everyone.

Rarity was the next to start the track to the distant city “You know what they say – where there's a city, there's a spa!” she exclaimed as she summoned the energy to carry one. Applejack et al shook their heads, got back up to their feet and followed the enchantress and jester, as they elected to just let Rarity have the quote knowing ‘Karma’ would have its day soon enough.

About a half an hour late just before the seven arrived at the city they spied a colorful bird was minding its business in the brown and gray city before it was roped and pulled into a cage. The cage was shut and locked as the poor creature squawked in protest only for anthropomorphic boar to stroke the cage, “Don't worry, little one, we'll let ya go!” he said as he was joined by another such creature, “To the highest bidder!” the other boar-man said before they both started to laugh as they added the caged bird to cart full of bird cages. The first boar-man patted the other on his shoulder, “Nice!” he said and the two proceeded farther into the town and a marketplace.

As the boar-men went about their business, Twilight et al walked into the city and could not help but see how dirty, brown and gray the city was and the inhabitants, all of them anthropomorphic creatures. As they walked they came across a cart with several large barrels in disorder with some barrels on the ground. Pacing around the cart was anthropomorphic snapping-turtle about half a head taller than Rockfoot and about a quarter border than Rutherford who seemed to be the owner. Twilight nodded to her friends and over, “Hi there! Here. Lemme help you with that.” Twilight said as she started to levitate the barrels so that they fit the cart perfectly. The owner, however, did not seem to trust the demigoddess and started to chase Twilight and the others away, “Hey! No magic around my merchandise!” he shouted as the girls screamed and ran with Spike in tow.

All this was observed by an anthropomorphic cat with dark indigo fur that looked like hair with his main coat being brown with a darker shade around his paws, his face and the tips of his ears and tail and with a patch of a lighter shade of fluffier fur on his chest. He had green eyes and wore a long red coat that was clearly seen better days. He stroke his chin in thought, “Hmmm... Very interesting…” he whispered to himself.

After their short sprint, the seven clustered together, “Okay. We just gotta stick together.” Twilight said as she tried to keep her group together. “Be careful who you talk to. And try to blend in.” she tried to order.

However, Karma stroke as Pinkie jumped onto a top of an open stand, “Can I have your attention please?!” she shouted and got everyone in the marketplace to look at her. Twilight groaned and wept a little as everyone else looked at the jester. “Can anybody take us to the Queen of the Aas?!” she asked. One of the creatures, who looked like a fish-man was the first to reply, “Listen, Cotton Candy, you want something? You gotta give something!” he explained. Pinkie then popped to be in the guy’s arm, “Well, how about a big warm hug from a grateful human friend?” Pinkie asked only to be dropped by the fish-man. Pinkie then seemed to appear next to another creature that looked like a lizard-man, “How about this comb that I've never used?” she said as she pulled out a comb with a few strands of her hair in between the teeth. She then popped to be next to another turtle-man, “A picture of my sister Maud?” she offered. After that was turned down she went to boar-man, “This breath mint?” she asked, “Seriously, buddy. Help me help you.” she said as she tried to get someone to accept any of her offers. The boar-man just belched which caused her to step back and rejoin her friends.

“Pinkie, you can't just take off!” Twilight started as she forced Pinkie to look straight at her. The demigod then clenched her teeth, “And you don't need to announce to every…” she started before Pinkie slipped out of her hold.

The jester waved her hand dismissively, “Relax, Twilight! I totally got this!” she declared. “How much for the giant gecko?” one of the creatures asked leaving every one of the group confused.

Spike, however, blow out a small torrent of flame. After he finished “Dragon, I don’t that tongue thing.” Spike stated as he huffed out a puff of smoke.

“He’s not for sale!” Twilight declared as she stepped to be in front of her familiar.

Another creature then spoke up, “I want that fancy purple hair!” she said as she pointed to Rarity’s head, “I'll give ya two storm bucks for it!”

“Two storm bucks?!” Rarity scuffed and turned her head in graceful disdained. “It's worth more than that!” she added as she held her nose up.

“Um, guys” Applejack tried to speak up but was drowned out by the locals beginning to encircle them. “Gimme the pink haired one!” one of the creatures, which looked like an anthropomorphic deer. “I’ll take the one in blue!” One of the boar-men said, “No! I want the blue one!” the other boar-man challenged. “I need that lizard!” another creature-made shouted. “I’ll take that picture of your sister!” Another creature shouted. “I want all seven for my collection!” the deer woman said.

Just before any of the creatures got close enough to actually touch any of seven. “STOP!” yowled the cat-man that spotted the seven shortly after they arrived as he managed to leap and land in front of everyone, “Back up, everyone! Back it up!” he ordered as he managed to direct everyone back. “Y'all in some serious danger!” he shouted. He looked at everyone around. “Now you didn't touch any of them, did you?” he asked as he walked among the other creatures. “Just look at all those colors!” he said as he pointed towards the seven, “You think that's natural?” he asked almost rhetorically. “They're infected with…” he paused as he stepped in front of the other creatures. He then spoke in a soft tone, “pastelis coloritis.” All the other creatures gasped in horror and shock.

Applejack was about to speak up but was stopped by Rarity with a shake of her head. Applejack snorted and crossed her arms in protest.

As all the creatures were talking amongst themselves in panicked tones. “Don't worry, don't worry, as long as you're not covered in purple splotches, you'll be fine.” As the cat-man spoke he used his tail as some sort of brush as he secretly applied spots of purple paint on the fish-man that held Pinkie Pie in his arms. After the cat-man finished everyone looked at the fish-man, “Uh-oh.” The cat said as he covered his mouth. The fish-man gasped in horror, “What do I do?!” he asked in a panic. The cat shook his head, “Enjoy your last moments and don't touch anyone. Because parts will fall off.” he finished as he pointed to the fish-man. The fish-man covered below his belt and screamed as he ran away. Everyone else then screamed and ran away. The cat smirked, “Well, all right.” he purred as he pulled on his jacket like he owned the place.

Rainbow flew up to the cat, “You are awesome!” she shouted. The cat nobbed with a smirk.

“And quite charming,” Rarity added as she joined the two and giggled like a schoolgirl. Spike pouted with a huff.

“Dapperpaws, Capper Dapperpaws’s the name.” Capper introduced himself proper with a slight bow. “And charming's my game.” he said and then started to walk as if he was leading the seven, “So... to the Aas, then?” he asked.

Just as Pinkie was about to skip ahead she was pulled back by Twilight and shielded the two with her wing, “I don't know if we should trust him.” Twilight whispered.

“We could definitely use a friend out here!” Pinkie pointed out.

Capper backtracked and moved Twilight’s wing, “You know what? Little Cotton Candy Hair is right.” he sided with Pinkie. “And, if I do say so myself..” he then started to sing as he stepped away as the music began to play, “This town is not a nice place
For little ladies all alone
There are lots of twists and corners
That could lead to the unknown
Let me guide your way
And I'll be sure to help you through
You could really use a friend out here
And luckily for you…” As he sang he used one of his claws to cut a rope that held up a line of panels that caused the entire stretch of the streets to be bathed in shadows. He then continued as he led the seven through the city.

“I'm the friend that you need
When you're lost and don't know what to do
I'm your pal, your amigo
Useful and resourceful, too
And my help, you'll concede
Is a plus guaranteed
You can call and I'll come running
Just follow my lead
'Cause I'm the friend you need!” As he sang he guided them through the town. As they passed by a stand with a few oranges he dropped a couple of coins and swiped the oranges with his tail. He then stepped a few paces ahead as he juggled the fruit. He turned passed one to Applejack and then the other two to other Klugetowners.

One of the two then sang, “He's a friend.”
The other than added, “Quite a friend!”
The two then sang together, “He's a friend indeed!” before they both chomped onto the fruit they were given as Capper smirked.

Capper then started up his song again as he continued to guide the seven through the city to his abode. “You need a bud to spot the danger
A pal to stop the creep
A chum and not a stranger to assist
You need a bro who is cunning
That can help you take the leap
A friend who knows what's lying in the mist
Don't fear these darkened alleys
They're scary, yes, I know
Why you could use a friend
To protect you wherever you go
And such a dazzling beauty
Covered in dirt and muck
But now your fate is changing
Now you are in luck
'Cause I'm the friend that you need
When you're lost and don't know what to do
I'm your pal, your amigo
Lookin' out for friends like you
And my help, you'll concede
Is a plus guaranteed
Just call and I'll come running
We'll say it's agreed…” As he continued his trek home, helping Rarity, Fluttershy and Spike every so often until they reached a rundown windmill which was his home. In front of the windmill was a small humanoid mouse. Capper stepped to the side to let the seven head to the front door. There was a break in his song as Capper gave the mouse-man a note. “Here. Tell Verko, "Capper’s place, sixty minutes." I've got something that will magically erase all my debt.” he said to the mouse as he waved his hands in the air. The mouse rolled his eyes as Capper turned back and followed his guest. “Cause I'm the friend you need!”

Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie, Rainbow all then sang, “He's a friend”

“Quite a friend!” Rarity sang by herself

Then all but Twilight and Capper sang, “He's a friend indeed!” just as Capper slipped by them and opened the door into the windmill.

As Capper allowed the seven in, “Welcome, my little ladies, to my little manor.” he said as he showed his place. It was a one-room apartment more or less, as in the kitchen, the living area, bedroom, a small library, in fact, it was like every type of the room sans the water closet all made one room.

Rarity was slightly taken aback at the mess of the place. “Ooh! A sort of a roco-hobo-Bohemian hodgepodge,” she said in an attempt to find a tactful way to describe the apartment.

Capper chuckled a little nervously, “Apologies for the state of my litter box. I wasn't expecting guests.” he confessed to his guests as he made room at his table and pulled out a couple of spare chairs.

“Yeah… I have an unmarried older brother.” Applejack commented as she leaned against one of the walls.

“So what can I get you before we start our trek for the Aas, you all look like you haven’t had anything to drink for a while.” As everyone went to the table, Twilight looked at the bookshelf that was Capper’s library, where she saw a book with the title, ‘The Southern Lands and Peoples’. Twilight reached out to grab the book.


About half an hour later in the marketplace, the beast-men that made up the Storm King’s army were basically tearing the marketplace apart as the Klughtowners were running and hiding from them, screaming all the way. One of the stand-owners, “Please! Please! I don't know anything!” he screamed as his stand was thrown apart “MY CABBAGES!!!”

Walking in the center of the street were Tempest and Grubber. “You really think they actually made it into the city?” Grubber asked. Tempest suddenly stopped and sniffed the air. She then turned to his right and spotted the comb that Pinkie tried to barter with. Grubber then saw the same comb. “Good call.” Grubber conceded.

Tempest cleared her throat which caused the beast-men to stop. “Attention!” she shouted which got everyone to look at her. “A little purple haired Mystican with metal wings passed this way. Tell me where she is,” she ordered. There was a pause.

“Or what?” the fish-man that Capper painted to fool everyone else asked as he (the fish-man) stepped up and crossed his arms. “Listen here Human, you think we're gonna fall for this again?” he asked as he stepped towards. Tempest was about to make some fish sticks but Grubber took hold of her hand which prompted her to stop and remained quiet as the fish-man slip. “I don't know what kinda scam you're workin' with Capper and the rest of your friends, but--” he continued.

"Friends?" Tempest asked cutting the fish-man off, but there was slight eye twitch and as she clutched her fist.

The fish continued, “Poison or no poison, you're gonna pay!” he said as he was about to charge Tempest.

Grubber whistled, “Bad call, fishie.”

Tempest grappled the fish-man and threw him around and in less than a second had him on the ground with his left arm pulled back almost to the point of popping the joint out of its socket. Grubber gave a slight laugh as did all the beast-men. Tempest then began to slowly twist the arm, “Now...about this... "Capper"...” she said slowly as lightning began to crackle in her forehead. The fish-man meeped in fright.