• Published 17th Dec 2018
  • 966 Views, 45 Comments

My Little Mages: Amicitiae Tempestate - Foxhelm



With the Nightstalker gone, and the Pillars of Legend free, and the Summer Sun Celebration, what better time for a national festival. However, not everything goes according to plan. A My Little Mages retelling of My Little Pony the Movie (2017)

  • ...
5
 45
 966

One Small Thing

Author's Note:

This could have been out faster...

Song used

And a cookie to anyone who guess why I made Spike a carp and not a pufferfish like in the film.

Unbeknownst to everyone in the sky, Twilight et al floated to Mount Aris. There the balloon floated down and crashed near the top. “Thank Celestia we didn’t crash on at the bottom.” Rarity said as everyone got out of the balloon.

“Ah’ll say, Ah’d probably have to carry yahr keister up all those stairs.” Applejack joked as she gave a small slap on Rarity’s rear.

After Rarity yelped at the battery and rubbed her rear as if to massage a possible bruise, “Are you calling me fat?” she asked in annoyance.

Applejack shook her head with a smile, “If I was, I’d actually say it.”

As everyone else had a laugh at Rarity’s expense as Twilight looked forward. There were two statues of what looked like humans with bird wings that seemed to have formed a partial arc way.”There it is!” Twilight shouted and dashed ahead of her crew as she was followed by the rest. As they passed the statues they found a city that seemed to have a slight birdcage theme but it was all in ruin, with cobwebs and massive amounts of dust about. Everyone was left speechless at the sight.

Rarity was the first to speak, “Are you sure this is the right place?” she asked as she looked around.

Applejack cupped her hands around her mouth so that her voice could travel farther loader. She took a couple of steps in front of everyone and a breath, “HELLO?! IS ANYBODY HOME?!” she shouted so loud that it echoed throughout the empty city. She looked back to the others and shrugged her shoulders showing that she was at a loss.

Pinkie jumped ahead and looked inside a home, “No Aasimaries here!” she said as she looked in. She then started to pop from place to place covering the city in a matter of seconds as the others seemed to gather around a fountain in the center of the city. “Or here! Or here! Or here or here or here!” Pinkie shouted as she searched the city. She then manifested herself to right next to Twilight, “Waaaaaiiit!” she shouted as she looked at a small rock at Twilight’s feet. Pinkie then lowered herself and began to left the rock slowly. After she looked under it, “Nope!” she said as she let the rock drop. “This place is emp-ty!” Pinkie said with a smile.

Twilight looked around not believing what she saw, “But... Celestia... The map.” she stuttered in denial. “They have to be here,” she said as she began to run and look inside the buildings. After a few seconds, she sighed in defeat.

Spike took a step back and allowed his draconic eyes time to see through the fog and mist. He saw that this was not the product of neglect over years. No, this city was not just raided for pieces of gold coins, it was utterly sacked, but not recently. He then spotted something. He ran over and picked it up, it looked like one of the storm guards’ shoulder guards with the logo of the Storm King on it. “I think we very late,” he said as he showed it to the girls. “This place is a ghost town now.” he declared.

Just then they all heard a distant hum. Fluttershy gasped as she hid behind Rainbow. After a few seconds, they continued to hear more. Twilight then gasped as she followed the humming to one of the buildings. “It's coming from over there!” she shouted as she continued into the ruin. She then had her focus gem glow as they made their way through the ruin, all the while they heard the humming grow louder and louder. Soon they came across a large indoor pool with a large stone lily pad and flower in the center. Pinkie stepped in front of everyone and stepped on the edge of the pool causing some of the stone to crumble.

The voice stopped humming as it gasped, revealing that the owner was a woman around their age, “What was that?!” the owner then jumped into the water with a splash.

Pinkie reached out, “Hey! Wait up!” she called out to the person the lot heard. “Cannonball!” she shouted as she jumped into the pool with a loader splash.

Twilight and the rest walked into the shallow end of the pool, “Pinkie!” they all shouted as they looked for Pinkie in the water.

Pinkie them emerged from the water and spat out the water that she swallowed. “She’s gone!” Pinkie declared.

“How did you know the person was a ‘she’, the person might identify as a ‘he’.” Spike commented. Everyone gave soft glares at Spike and Twilight smacked him up the backside of his head. “Ow.” Spike groaned as he rubbed the back of his head. Just then there was a sudden pop like a bathtub clog was removed from the drain.

Rarity sighed, “I hate epic adventures.” she proclaimed as the water started to spiral pulling them all in the process. Everyone sans Pinkie started to scream to various degrees but Pinkie was squealing in cheer like she was having the time of her life at a water-themed amusement park.

After a second or so they were all underwater, holding on to their breaths. Twilight was trying to focus her mind and conjure air bubbles of some short that would allow them to breathe underwater. But she was never submerged before she cast a spell. She was also starting to panic and soon she could not hold her breath, nor could any of the others. However, just before they drifted into that good night of death, around their head the bubbles that Twilight tried to conjure appeared as each of them were able to catch their breaths.

“Way to leave it to the last minute, Twilight!” Pinkie declared as she tried to swim over to Twilight.

“Um, sorry, but that was me?” came the voice that they heard humming earlier. They all turned to see a faint blue light, not unlike the bioluminescent end of angler fish’s rod. The light then came closer to them revealing a woman about their age. She was a mermaid with a light yellow fish’s tail, light blue hair that seemed to be like a wave in how it was combed. She wore a small light purple top like those worn by people that live mostly along a tropical coastline and around her waist was a light orange skirt like those woman sometimes wear over their swimsuits that are little more than cloth.

Pinkie same up to the mermaid and took a breath, “We don’t have the time for another song.” Twilight cut Pinkie off. Pinkie pouted and huffed. “I am Princess Twilight Sparkle of Mystica, and these are my friends, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy, Applejack and Spike and we’re looking for the Aasimars.” Twilight informed as she tried to swim to be in front of her friends to address the mermaid. The mermaid began to back away as if she was suspicious of the lot. “Wait, please. We need the help of their queen, Queen Novo. Our homeland was invaded by the Storm King.” Twilight pleaded.

“The Storm King?!” the mermaid asked as if she knew the title. She then came up to Twilight and would have been right in the “I'm so glad I saved you guys! I'm totally taking you to my mom!” the mermaid was overly cheerful and excited as if the group had come across another Pinkie Pie. The mermaid grabbed Twilight by the hand and began to swim away as Twilight grabbed Pinkie, who grabbed Applejack, and so on with Spike grabbing Fluttershy’s hand. “She might have an idea!” she sang-song and giggled.

After what seemed like an hour, the mermaid stopped at a large stone wall. “We're almost there!” she cheered with excitement that rivaled Pinkie. She then swam under the wall, followed by the seven. After they got around the wall they all saw what looked like a massive stalagnate with the center looking like a bulb. However, even from where they were they could see that it was absolutely beautiful. The seven were awestruck until as they got closer seeing that it was large enough to rival the city back on the top of the mountain. After they swam through an entrance, “Mother, look what I found!” the mermaid said as she swam ahead to what seemed to be the throne room. Throughout the whole place were mermaids. Which surprised Twilight et al, because they were hoping to find a clue to locate the Aasimars. However, this was short lived as they saw the mermaid that the first mermaid called ‘mother’. She was mostly a grayish white in her skin and scale, with purple hair that was done up regally. She wore a white shirt more conservative then what the first mermaid wore a sat on the throne with eyes closed as if she knew enough to not need to see. “Is it another shell?” she asked. She didn’t get an answer at first, she opened her eyes reluctantly. “Because I am telling you if it is another shell, I am—:” as she spoke she looked and saw Twilight et al in the center of the room. She gasped in horror. “Princess Skystar, whatta you done?!” she asked as she turned back to the recently identified Skystar. “You know surface dwellers are forbidden here!” she scowled the younger mermaid. The queen then pointed to Twilight et al, “Guards!” she shouted and eight guards surrounded the seven lowering their spears to stab them.

Skystar swam to be in front of her mother, the queen, “No no n-no! M-M-Mom, please!” she begged in an attempt to plead for the seven’s case. “It is so not like that!” she said as she swam to the guards. “The Storm King is trying to destroy their home, too!” she concluded the plea as she bowed her head.

The guards looked to each other and then to the queen. The queen nodded and they pulled their weapons back. Twilight then swam ahead to speak with the queen, “I am Princess Twilight Sparkle of Mystica. My…” she paused as she was speaking to another royal figure, “entourage and I are seeking the Aasimars and their queen, Novo. Your grace, do you know what happened to them?” she asked.

The queen returned to her throne and sat down on it and had a little chuckle, “Well, of course, I know. I'm the queen. I know everything.” she said as she shut her eyes.

Skystar swam next to Pinkie, “Oh, it's such a good story!” the princess cheered.

“Don't you dare tell them!” the queen ordered.

However, Skystar didn’t obey as she went to one of the arches and waved her hand over. “Once upon a time, like, a while ago, the Aasimars did live on Mount Aris,” she said as a light blue light seemed to reveal lines that made the image of winged humans on flying around the mountain’s peak.

The queen facepalmed herself and groaned, “Did I not say don't tell them? But hey, I'm just the queen. Don't mind me.” she said as she waved her hands.

“Fine! I can't tell you!” Skystar groaned like a teen being lectured. That satisfied the queen. However, Skystar then swam to be among her seven guests. “But if I could tell you,” she said and then swam to another arch and blue lines appeared and presented an image of the Storm King, “I'd say that that brute did show up to steal their magic!” The queen could only shake her hand in frustration. Skystar then went over to another arch and placed her hand on it. The blue lines then showed a rendering of the queen putting an orb into a pod as she was surrounded by many mermaids, “But, to keep it out of his clutches, their brave and majestic leader, Queen Novo, hid them deep underwater where he could never go!” Skystar proclaimed as she directed everyone’s attention to the queen when she said ‘Queen Novo’. The seven then turned back to Skystar, “We are... Well, we were the Aasimars!” Skystar shouted and proclaimed. “Ta-da!” she finished with a laugh as she swam over to the group. “But I totally did not tell you that!” she whispered to Applejack. The paladin only rolled her eyes.

The recently identified Queen Novo gave a sigh, “Well, the pearl is out the oyster now. I am Queen Novo.” she confirmed her daughter’s proclamation.

Applejack tried to swim forward, “So when the Storm King came, you just abandoned your entire city and fled?” the paladin asked.

Skystar waved her hands, “No. We didn't flee!” she said. “We swam! Y'know, in order to flee.” she ultimately admitted weakly. Before anyone could ask, “Oh! Can we show them?” Skystar asked as she went over to her mother. “Huh? These are the first guests we've had in, like, foreveeerrr!” she continued to beg overly excited. “Can we, can we, can we, can we, can we, can we, can we, can we, can we?” she kept asking and asking like a child that sees something they want.

Novo looked up to above the throne, “Well, I suppose I should make sure it still works.” she said as she swam up to a pod being suspended from the ceiling with a chuckle or two. She placed her hand on the pod as she chuckled with Skystar giggling as she followed her mother, and from the pod came a massive pearl that had to have come from an oyster that was large enough for a person to be placed in fully. Novo waved her hands around it as she seemed to activate the magic within the pearl. “Careful, now,” Novo said as a pink mist floated through the water towards Twilight and company. This caused Skystar to squeal in delight.

As the mist made contact with the seven, the six girls’ legs seemed to merge as they were all transformed into mermaids. All of the cheering, ohing, awing, etc as they looked at their new forms. Applejack’s body seemed to take on a sturgeon like look as her armor seemed to fuse with the scales. Rainbow’s took the look of a marlin, Pinkie a clown fish, however Rarity, Fluttershy and Twilight’s were harder to pin down other the vibrant colored fish. While this transformation was welcomed by the girls, Spike gave a groan, he was transformed into a carp

Twilight looked at what just happened and had a thought; if the orb could transform a demigod into a mermaid, then maybe it could be used to transform others into something that can liberate her people and end the Storm King’s terror. “This is amazing!” Twilight exclaimed before she swam to be right in Novo’s face. “With this, we could transform everybody at home into something powerful enough to face the Storm King's army!” Twilight offered.

Novo scowled as pushed Twilight out of her space, “Or it could end up in his greedy claws!” she stated as she knew things can go wrong. Before Twilight could protest as Novo returned the pearl to the pod. “I'm sorry about your home, honey.” Novo tried to offer some comfort. “I truly am.” Novo’s demeanor then hardened, “But my responsibility is to protect my subjects. The pearl is not going anywhere.” she declared as Twilight seemed to have forced back by Novo’s words.

Twilight tried to form another idea, “But we've come all this way.” she settled on.

“That was your call.” Novo countered.

“And you can't just hide down here!” Twilight tried to argue.

“We can and we are.” Novo pointed out.

“Trapped forever!” Twilight tried to continue her argument.

“We’re not trapped, honey.” Novo countered.

“But there's so much you're missing!” Twilight tried to finish her argument for Novo to act.

Novo shrugged her shoulders, “We are one hundred percent okay with that!” she countered. Just then a small crab swam all the way from the other side passing by Rarity. Once it arrived at the throne it started to chitter. “Yes, Jamal?” Novo asked the crab. Jamal then chittered again. “Ooh! Time for my seaweed wrap. Later, girls!” Novo exclaimed as she was about to get up and swim away. Jamal then started to chitter again. “Yes, a massage, too. Mama needs her deep tissue.” Novo added before she was no longer in the room.

The seven looked to each other, “So that's it? We left home for nothin'?” Applejack asked as she saw how everything seemed to turn out. Everyone dipped their heads as if in defeat.

Skystar looked at her guest and could not help but feel sorrow for their situation as she frowned. She then gasped as a thought came to her, “Oh, my gosh! Best... idea!” she exclaimed as she waved her hands. “You can stay with us! Forever!” she gave her idea with a couple of laughs. Twilight et al, sans Pinkie, could only look at Skystar in utter befuddlement. Skystar didn’t seem phased as she swam around. “There are so many things we can do! We can make friendship bracelets out of shells and” she said as she pulled out a friendship bracelet. “... picture frames outta shells and…” she then seemed to summon a picture frame. Skystar then swam over to a set of wastebaskets adorned with shells. “decorative wastebaskets out of shells…” she said as she hugged the largest wastebasket. As she placed the basket down she swam back to the seven “Oh, I have so many projects that involve shells, haha!” she laughed with a large grin. She then looked down with a slightly sad smile. “Now I have someone new to share them with!” she stated.
“I mean, aside from my friends, Shelly and Sheldon,” she said as she held out two hand size clam shells that had googly eyes attached to them. One in each hand, one purple one red. Everyone sans Pinkie and Applejack gave nervous smiles. Pinkie was just about to burst apart she was so excited.

Applejack sighed as she swam up to Skystar. “We the joke, Sugarcube. And they are quite the lookers, but we can't stay.” Applejack informed as she took Skystar’s hands. “We've gotta get back to our families and save them from the Storm King.”

Skystar smiled, “Oh, of course, you have your own friends back home.” she said as she started to back away with an understanding but also sad smile on her face. “It's fine. It's fine. Heh.” she laughed as she was starting to leave. She then looked to her shell, “They get jealous anyways. Heh. It's probably for the best.” she tried to laugh it off before she sighed and hung her head in defeat. “Yeah, I'll just, um…” the sorrow in her could not hide any longer as her voice revealed it. “get Mom to, uh, turn you back so you can go home,” she said and swam off.

Everyone looked down in guilt, “I know we have to go, but you guys saw how disappointed Princess Skystar was.” Pinkie said as she turned to look towards where Skystar swam too.

Twilight’s eyes shot out. “You’re right, Pinkie,” she said. “We still need to come up with a plan to get back and save our home. A few minutes won't make a huge difference.” Twilight explained. “And if there's anybody who can cram a lifetime of fun into a blink of an eye, it's Pinkie Pie!” Twilight said as she placed her hands on Pinkie’s shoulders. Pinkie squealed in delight that Twilight trusted her. “So do what you do best!” she ordered. Pinkie saluted and taking Spike, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Rainbow with her as she swam to catch up with Skystar. Twilight, however, stayed behind as she turned to look at where the pearl was housed.


Skystar was sniffling as she tried to hold back the tears, “It's probably for the best.” she lied to herself in an attempt to feel better.

“Hey, now, don't be sad
I know we cannot stay
But we've got a couple minutes
And a little time to play,” Pinkie sang as she swam to be in front of Skystar with Shelly and Sheldon in both of her hands. Skystar turned to see Pinkie drift back to her friends as she seemed to dance with just her torso. Skystar smiled as she finally had friends. But that was short-lived.

“I know you have important things
So it's okay, just go” Skystar sang as she turned away with her head down and eyes closed.

“But we can still pick one small, little thing
To do with you, y'know!” Pinkie said as she seemed to teleport in front of Skystar with the start of a friendship bracelet. “One small thing doesn't seem like a lot
One small thing, work with the time you've got
Soon, one small thing becomes two
After two, perhaps another few
Then one small thing is not so small
One small thing can be the biggest thing of all.” As Pinkie sang, she and the other started to make various crafts that Skystar wanted to make with them along with other simple activities that friends would engage in.

Skystar had a laugh as she was washed with joy, “All right now, since you're here
Let's see what we can do
Swim with the flow until you go
Together, me and you.” Skystar sang as she directed them to join and ride a passing school of fish.

Pinkie smirked as she pulled out a millennium of necklaces made of shell, “I've got necklaces for every fish
So what else do ya got?” she sang as she threw them and each seemed to find their way around the necks of all the merfolk.

Skystar the swam over to a handful of fairly large orange fish, “Well, we could play the bubblefish
You'll like this one a lot!” Skystar sang as she hugged one as did all but Pinkie, who hugged Spike.

“One small thing, it's a good place to start,” Pinkie and Skystar sang as they looked each other in the eye and squeezed the fishes in their arms causing the fish to spit out bubbles. While Applejack, Rainbow, Rarity, and Fluttershy echoed “Just one small thing.”
“One small thing and we don't seem so far apart,” Pinkie and Skystar sang as two seemed to dance inside a couple of the largest bubbles that formed as Applejack, Rainbow, Rarity, and Fluttershy echoed “Don't seem apart.”

“Soon, one small thing leads to more
It's so much more than there was before
Just one small thing, and you will see
The start of something big for you and me,” all of them sing as the merfolk started to gather around the scene and one by one then two by two then three by three, etc, joined in the fun.

“One small thing.” Pinkie sang as pointed to a very teeny tiny jellyfish that floated above her left hand.

“Just one small thing,” All the merfolk sang as if in a chorus.

“Or a tall thing,” Skystar sang as she pointed to jellyfish that seemed to stories tall.

“Just one tall thing”All the merfolk sang as if in a chorus.

“Or a sing thing.” Fluttershy sang as she seemed to be playing patty cake with a very young merchid.

“Just one sing-y thing,” All the merfolk sang as if in a chorus.

“Or a bling thing.” Rarity sang as she used a couple of shells as if they were fans in a dance.

“Just one bling-y thing.” All the merfolk sang as if in a chorus.

“A conga thing.” Applejack sang as she led a conga line and got Rarity to join in.

“Yeah, a conga thing.”All the merfolk sang as if in a chorus.

“Or a longah thing,” Rainbow said as she led more merfolk to join and make the conga line even longer.

“Just one longah thing.” All the merfolk sang as if in a chorus.

“A blue thing, true thing, you thing,” Pinkie sang as she and Skystar spiraled in the center of the circle that had formed as the merfolk echoed “Oooh-oooh.”

“A whee thing, sea thing, me thing.” Skystar sang as the two continued to spin in the center of this formed communal dance. This was followed by the merfolk seeming to echo “Oooh-oooh-oooh!”

“So many things and everything until our time is done
There's one small thing for each and everyone!” The two sang as they started to stop and look around to see that everyone was laughing in good faith.

Skystar hugged Pinkie, “One small thing, so much we can create
You and me, we started something great
It's so amazing, look around
At all the happy sights and sounds
One small thing is big, it's true
You did this all for us
I just wish there was one small thing
An extra special kind of thing” she sang as she pulled from the hug and looked at all the joy that was felt by all the merfolk present. She soon spotted her mother who had watched all this enfold but had not joined in herself. Skystar then swam to her mother and then looked back to Pinkie et al.

“That we could do for you...
One small thing!” Skystar and the merfolk sang as Skystar twirled with Novo a couple of times as the song ended.

After the song ended,“Woo!” Queen Novo cheered as she laughed with so much life and joy, it was as she was still flying free in the skies over her mountain. She then took a breath and looked at Skystar and then to Skystar’s guests. She gave a nod of consent as she closed her eyes and smiled. She raised her head, “Well, I guess there is one small thing we can do.” she said as she emphasized the word ‘one’ in her sentence. Skystar then hugged her mother, burying her head into Novo’s shoulder. Novo returned the hug all the while Spike and the girls cheered until an alarm started to blare. Everyone but Novo gasped in shock. They all turned to the palace where there was a clear red glow in the throne room. Novo swam followed by everyone, Skystar, and the Mysticans first. In the throne room, over the throne, where the Pearl of Transformation was housed, Twilight was entangled in the jellyfish tentacles themed cords as she grunting in pain as she reached for the pearl. Novo snarled at the sight and swam to collect the pearl. Before Twilight could protest. “You’re invited into my home, and you try to steal from me!” Novo shouted. She turned to look at Pinkie et al, “And you did all this so that she could take the pearl?!” she accused. Skystar swam up in an attempt to calm her mother. But before Skystar could say anything, “This is why we don't bring strangers into our home!” Novo told her. Novo then turned back to Twilight et al and scowled at them, “You don't deserve our help.” she said as she activated the pearl’s power.