• Published 8th Dec 2011
  • 1,904 Views, 9 Comments

What if Trollestia ruled Equestria? (or The Rise of the New Lunar Republic) - Dead



A dramatic retelling of episodes 1 and 2, in a world where Celestia is a tyrant.

  • ...
 9
 1,904

Chapter 1: The Slightly Eccentric Bookworm

“Hmm, Elements of Harmony… I know I’ve heard that before, but where“?” Twilight Sparkle muttered to her self, a nasty habit she developed due to forced isolation in the library, studying for the frequent tests her mentor gave her.

She decided that she would go back to the library and ask Spike if he knew where she could find a book about the prophecy. But on her way she was stopped by a several good friends of hers.

“There you are Twilight! Moondancer is having a little get together in the east courtyard later. Wanna come?”

“Sorry girls, I’d love to but Celestia is going to give me a quiz over ancient pony tales.” She replied, rushing off almost as soon as she finished the sentence.

“Honestly, she spends far too much time studying, it seems she’s more interested in books than friends.”

“Well, it’s not her fault!” One of them said, “ Celestia does seem to enjoy watching ponies struggle.”

“Don’t say that! What if she heard you? Do you want to be exiled? Or worse?” The third whispered in shock.

“Fine, fine. Forget I said anything.” the second said. The three then began to walk towards their destination.

As Twilight climbed the massive staircase to the library she thought about what she had said to get out of the get together that Moondancer was throwing. To be fair, she wasn’t lying, she just neglected to tell them that the test wouldn’t be for another couple days. It was during this small moment of contemplation that she recalled the name of the book in which she had seen the story. It was an old collection of foal’s stories called Prediction’s and Prophecies.

She burst through the door and yelled out “Spike! Spike! Spike? There you are!” she said noticing the purple baby dragon on the floor, rubbing his head in agony. “Quick! Find me that old copy of Predictions and Prophecies.” She said, “What’s that for?” got added soon after noticing the small present impaled on his tail.

“Well, it was a gift for Moondancer, but-” he started but was interrupted by Twilight.

“You know we don’t have time for that sort of thing!”

“But we’re on a break!”

“Correction, YOU’RE on a break, as Celestia’s star pupil I still have duties to perform.” Twilight corrected as she begun pulling books off of the shelves using magic. She begun looking through them and then promptly voiced her frustration by shouting “No, No. NO! SPIKE!”

“It‘s over here!” Spike exclaimed, from across the room, the book held tight in his claw before being snatched across the room by Twilight’s magic.

“Thank you Spike! Now then, Elements of Harmony, Elements of Harmony. See Mare in the Moon?”

“Mare in the Moon? But that’s just an old ponies tale?” Spike asked, perplexed as to why Twilight (one of the most skeptical ponies he knew) would be searching for facts about the Elements of Harmony, some of the most powerful relics known to pony kind, in a book with a story that was invented to make sure that foals would stay in their beds at night.

“Ah, here it is! Mare in the Moon, a myth from olden pony times. A powerful pony who wanted to rule Equestria. Defeated by the Elements of Harmony and sealed in the moon, it’s said that on the longest day of the 1000th year of her imprisonment that the stars would aid in her escape and she would return to bring about night time eternal! Spike do you know what this means?” Twilight exclaimed.

“Uh…no.” Spike said, losing his balance on the massive ladder which he had used to reach the book. “GAHHH!”

The poor baby dragon’s life quickly flashed before his eyes. Thankfully, he landed on Twilight’s back, which managed to cushion the fall significantly. Unfortunately, the life saving landing was then followed by one of Spike’s least favorite phrases

“Spike, take a letter to the Princess. It‘s incredibly urgent that she be told about this right away!”.

“Bleh… fine.” The Baby dragon voiced his disappointment, then he slid off of Twilight’s tail and produced a quill and scroll from one of the many gaps in his scales.

Upon seeing that her able bodied assistant was ready to write Twilight began dictating her letter. “Dear Princess Celestia, while researching the materials you gave me for the exam I came across an old tale about the Mare in the Moon, and after analyzing it briefly, I have determined several things. First of all, the mythical Mare in the Moon is actually Nightmare Moon. Secondly, it‘s predicted that on the longest day of the 1000th year of her banishment, that she will return and, at that time, we may very well stand on the precipice of eternal night! I just thought you would like to be informed of this great danger. Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle”

“Precipice… eternal darkness… Twilight Sparkle! Okay, it’s done!”

“Great! Now send it!”

“ Hmm, I dunno Twilight. She’s awfully busy preparing for the Summer Sun Celebration, and it is the day after tomorrow.”

“But that’s just it Spike! The longest day is the Summer Sun Celebration! It’s incredibly vital that she’s informed of this!”

“Jeez, Twilight. No need to be so insistent, besides, if Nightmare Moon is the Mare in the Moon, wouldn’t that make Celestia the pony that defeated her, and wouldn’t that mean that Celestia knows about this?”

“Err, good point! But perhaps she needs a reminder.” Twilight stated sheepishly.

“Okay Twilight, but I really don’t think she needs to be reminded.”

And with that Spike sent the letter to the princess. That was when the waiting began… which then promptly ended after an awkward 5 second pause.

“See Spike! I knew she would want a reminder and that’s probably her sending me a reply thanking me!”

“Ah hem…” Spike cleared his throat in preparation “My dearest student Twilight, I realize that you are probably stressed due to the various intense duties that I, as your mentor, ask you to perform, but quite frankly I am appalled at your behavior! Honestly, bringing back such painful memories just to postpone your testing date!”

“What!?!” Twilight gasped

“Wow, Twilight it seems that the princess didn’t want a reminder.”

“Bu-but, I was just trying to help! I mean-”

“Hold on a sec, there’s even more.” Spike interrupted, “Now then, for your punishment, I would like you to travel to Ponyville and oversee the preparations for the Summer Sun Celebrations. Next time Twilight try to be more considerate of others. Sincerely, Princess Celestia”

“But! I! Nevermind…” Twilight sighed, knowing that even if she had sent a reply, her mentor would be unflinching and might even install a far stricter punishment.

That was about when the door opened up and a voice called out

“Hey, Twi! What’s up?”

“Oh great,” Twilight thought, “just what I wanted, somepony to come to the library after that.” However, her tune quickly changed when she saw the pony who entered.