• Published 19th Dec 2017
  • 580 Views, 18 Comments

Beginnings of the Race Swapper - Hexan Tronic



The story of a stallion who gains a unique ability, beginning from the past and going to the present

  • ...
2
 18
 580

Chapter 5 - Unsafe flight and Cutie marks

The next day I woke up and had breakfast, nothing too interesting there, I also still had a horn, so I was wearing my hat today. On my way to school, I bumped into Gene and explained my studying, and she was a bit proud. School was normal, no questions about my hat today. After school I was just wondering town, looking around.

As I was walking around town, I could hear a loud noise, so I looked around trying to figure out what it was, as it got louder, I realized it was a scream. Looking a bit more, I saw somepony, an earth pony filly, falling from a hot air balloon. Thinking quickly I poured as much magic as I could into my horn, the strength of power knocking my hat off, I could feel the magic grip her, but couldn't get a hold on her, so I stopped and leaped into the air without thinking, as I fly towards her, having suddenly shifted into a pegasus. I manage to catch her and lower her to the ground, before I notice I was fly, my hat was missing, I tried using magic and the town saw it.

To be honest I was a bit unsure of what they would say, but then the filly hugs me and thanks me for saving her. A bit startled, I hug back and tell her it's okay, and that I just did it to help. I realize now, that is the only reason I was able to do all that with little knowledge. After I spoke those words about helping, my flank started to glow brightly for a bit, temporarily blinding all nearby ponies. When the glow dies down, there is a picture of my hat, tilted to the side on my flanks, mirrored on both sides. I had just earned my cutie mark, of what I didn’t know, but I had it. Once the crowd stops talking amongst themselves, somepony from school brings my hat back. He then remarks.

“I guess that's why you were wearing the hat, hiding your horn?” I nod.

“I mean, what would you do if you could change race but not control it?” I respond. He thinks to himself.

“Well, you looked in good control just then, when magic didn’t work, you tried flight.” I think about it then realized he was right. I tell the crowd I need to go, so they let me past. On the way to the hospital, Gene catches up to me and gives me a swift hoof to the back of the head.

“What were you thinking Hexan!”. I shrug, after the pain dies down.

“I wasn’t really thinking, I saw her falling, so I tried to help, and since magic didn’t work, I just tried flying, and I caught her.” She just stares at me.

“So your saying, you have no idea how you swapped? Or flew?” I shake my head.

“I was going to visit the doctor again, see if anything has changed. Once we reached the hospital, I ask to see Fast Mender, and we were let through to her office. She was at her desk as we walked in.

“Hello again you two, didn’t expect to see you so soon.”

“Well, Miss Mender, there was an incident”

“Oh, what kind of incident?”

“The kind that simultaneously causes Hexan to try to use magic, swap and fly to catch a falling earth pony filly.”

“Oh, and I got my cutie mark too.” She looks at me.

“My, you were a bit busy today Hex, any idea how you did it?” I shake my head.

“As I told Gene, I was so focused on helping to save her, I didn’t think.”. She thinks for a bit.

“Hmm...Maybe that might work...Excuse me Hexan, do you think you could focus on becoming an earth pony?” I look at her confused but try it anyway “And while you focusing, think about what an earth pony does, how their magic works, and what being one feels like.” After a couple minutes, and a quick flash, I’m an earth pony again.

“Yes! I’m back to normal!” Gene giggles.

“Good job Hex.” Fast nods, as her theory is proven.

“It appears you can consciously swap races, but it is tied to focus, which is difficult for a child, no offence. Do you think I could get a sample of all three from you Hex?” She asks nicely. I nod, then she takes a sample from all three forms and compares them, both to each other and the one from before. “Okay, have a look at your blood from before, the swapping is rapid, focusing on one longer but swapping rapidly nonetheless. Now look at the sample from just now, it’s more like, your blood is completely one race, with a little bit of each in it, allowing you to completely change your cells at will.” I look at her confused since I don’t know much about the subject, but Gene nods. Fast looks me in the eyes.

“Now Hexan, I know you don’t want to, but I think you should tell you parents now.” I nod, my head down.

“I’m probably going to be in trouble, aren't I?” Fast thinks for a bit.

“Well, considering that you saved a filly, and got your cutie mark doing so, I think you may be fine.” I nod again.

“Okay, well I better go tell them, see you both later!” I quickly run off home, thinking about how I’m going to say it and explain it.