• Published 5th Dec 2017
  • 1,686 Views, 129 Comments

A War - Comma Typer



The Great Crystal War has raged on, each weary day upholding the dreadful conflict with no end in sight. This is the story of some ponies (and more) all caught up in the reality of war from beginning to...end?

  • ...
6
 129
 1,686

PreviousChapters Next
Descent

It was Friday night.

In the living room, the wood-trimmed couches had cloud pillows and cloud cushions. Some warmth came out from the rainbow-arched fireplace which had no timber or anything carved from a tree at all; instead, what gave heat were some fire crystals—not a single lick of fire, yet their glow radiated, warming a cold place. On the shelves, above the fireplace and over the windows were two sets of Princess Celestia memorabilia: the shelves had Celestia figurines with the Princess herself portrayed in different poses (and almost always with a smiling, happy face); the fireplace and the windows had three commemorative plates with different designs, each of them detailing a sun in its own way. An abstract painting, a rock-wood sculpture, and several potted plants completed the living room.

Outside, the night sky, lit up a little by the houses down the lanes, down the road. Through the window, one could see a shades-wearing pegasus sitting on a recliner, resting in his front yard.

Bow entered the living room, stretching and cracking his wings as he approached one of the chairs. He plopped himself on it, brought out a bag of chips, and ripped it open.

A blast of spicy scents. "Mm-hmm."

Knocks on the door.

He turned his head about. "Who is it?"

"Pinkie Pie," a voice answered from outside. "Rock Trooper."

Bow's ears drooped, putting a hoof to his chin. "And, what's your business here?" A pause, scratching his head. "You're an Earth pony." Brows furrowed; distracted. "How did you get up here?"

"I've escorted your daughter home."

A muted gasp. "Sorry, what did you say?" in a louder volume.

"I've escorted your daughter, Rainbow Dash, home. She's on leave until further notice."

Sweat pouring down his face. Teeth bared, gnashing.

Irises shrunk.

A gulp.

Another gulp.

Tugged at his shirt, nervous hoof.

"What's going on?" Pinkie asked, still outside. "Is there something wrong?"

"Wait!"

He threw the chips away, flew out the living room, through the hall, to the front door.

Held the yellow door knob with his wing.

Mouth agape.

"I know you're right in front of me," Pinkie said.

"Just give me a moment, miss!" Bow replied in a shaky voice.

Eyes raced here and there, focusing on everything but the door knob.

Vision rested on the stairs on his left.

Looked up.

"Should I?" whispered he.

Staring up.

Bow sighed, head downcast. "Let me call my wife first, Pinkie."

"Don't worry," she answered.

He drew in breath, facing the stairs and the ceiling.

Turned to the door. "Pinkie," he began in a fragile tone, "you've...you've been her close friend. We know it because of the letters our Rainbow sent us every so often." Another sigh. "Could you do us one favor?"

Silence. "What would it be?"

"Let us see her alone." A pause. "Be anywhere but here. This...this is something that's between the three of us family."

Silence. "I understand."

Bow rested his head on the door, closed his eyes.

"When you hear Dash knock once, it means that I'm far away."

Eyes opened. Watery. "OK, Pinkie. Thank you."

No word. Hoofsteps away.

Interrupted breath.

Looked up again.

Closed his eyes.

"Honey? There's somepony outside."

A windy swish from above.

Windy Whistles flying down the stairs, holding a book with one hoof.

He caught a glimpse of what was inside the book.

Pictures. Baby pictures.

"Who could it be?" Windy asked, eyes stuck on the photos.

"I guess it's time for us to find out," Bow said low.

Turned the doorknob halfway.

"Wait," Windy spoke up, raising a wing in protest. "You didn't ask who the visitor was?"

A pained face on him. Closed eyes.

One knock from outside.

He nodded.

Opened the door.

On her.

"D...Dashie?" she eked, hoof to her chin. Shivering, wobbling. "I-Is...that...you?"

The mare in front of them. Disheveled, spiky mane. Tail cut short. Across her eye, a pink scar. Her ear, a chunk out.

"We're...we're..." before Bow locked up. Tear running.

Their eyes on her.

Her wing.

Right wing, almost whole. Some feathers missing.

Her other wing. Her left wing.

There was no left wing.

"Rainbow...?" she spoke. Hoof stretched out.

Dash's lips trembling.

Lunged at them.

Cried.

The family mourned. Windy burst into a terrifying howl, embracing her, a hoof on what used to be a full and healthy wing. Bow hugged her, weeping, screaming a blood-curdling sorrow to the sky.

Rainbow Dash...

Rivers of tears. Rending roars.

On her knees.

Eyes up.

Red eyes covered by her hooves.

Fell.

A horrible wreck, reduced to a blubbering mess on the moonlit floor.

Wails tearing open.

Banging the floor.

Breaking.

"Why?!"


She woke up.

Cold sweat.

Dark.

Ignoring her posters, shelves, cabinets—the rainbows on the walls.

"Agh!"

Jumped up, flapping her one wing.

Crashed to the floor. Broke a lamp.

Limp.

Groaned, standing up.

"I...I thought it was back..."

Spread out her wing.

Looked at it.

To the other side.

No wing.

"It tricked me!"

Screamed.

Ripped blankets, pillows. Chair hurled.

A hole in the door.

"No!"


By herself, at the table.

On it, a plate of lettuce leaves, cabbages, and carrots.

Morning sun; rays gleaming on the table.

Head down.

Ate.

Whipped her head to the door.

Indigo head away.

Another bite.

"Bleh!"

Threw it out.

Lifted a hoof.

Tears.


"M-Mom...D-Dad..."

Curled up at a lonely corner.

Knees at her head, scrunched up.

Eyes open, staring a million miles.

"M-Mom...D-D-Dad...?"

Looking at her. Gazing upon her.

That wretch.

"You'll be better...Dashie..."

Motherly hooves around her.

Wrapped around.

Fatherly arms.

Their wings spread, covering her.

Her eyes rested on them.

Burst out.

"No!" she screamed, pointing at them. "I'm not gonna let you do that to me!"

"Wh-What's wrong?!" Windy asked amidst misty eyes. "Was it something we—"

"Yes!"

Stomped the floor.

"Every time I see a pony up here at home, you know what I see? Two. Wings." She flared her remaining wing. "I might as well be a flabby Earth pony, for all I know! I can't fly straight, I can't fly at all! The moment I lift off, I'll tumble down because I need two wings to fly!" Counted two with her pinions. "Two! And you're not helping me since your pairs of wings remind me of the pegasus I'm not!"

"But, Rainbow Dash," Bow spoke up, about to cry again, "you know that we love you no matter what happens to you. We don't think of you any less if you have only one wing."

"And then what?!" she shouted back. "Could you give me one of your spare wings? Could a unicorn give me a spell that will make it grow back? Or, even those flying contraptions some mad scientists are making these days? Huh?! No answers?!"

Spat on the floor.

"Why did I get sent here, anyway?!" she shrieked. "Back at the front, there were other kinds of ponies to hang around with! Here?! All pegasi, pegasi, pegasi with two wings! Argh!"

Stormed away.

Back to her bedroom.

Parents' shoulders cold, staring at the broken door.


Knock.

Dash looked up from her book.

Of her old photos.

"Who's there?" she casually asked—rasp.

"Uh...R-Rainbow Dash?"

Ears perked up, taking off from her chair.

Fell flat on her face.

"Agh! I'm getting tired of this!"

Closed her wing.

Walked to the door and swung it open.

Silence between the two, across the open space, the open door.

"Fluttershy?" Dash spouted out. She looked at her from head to hoof. "You look...dirty."

The kind pegasus wiped some dirt off of her face and coarse bangs. "I came here the moment I heard the news! I-I'm sorry that I was late. Oh, please don't attack me!" Cowered.

Dash sighed, an air of something like defeat. "Well, there's not much I could do, anyway, considering that...I'm not so complete." She spread her one wing out to demonstrate.

Fluttershy gasped, clattering her hooves. "It's scarier when you're this close!"

Rainbow rolled her eyes. "Could you keep it civil? I don't want everypony in the whole neighborhood to 'feel sorry' for me."

"But, they should!" Fluttershy said, pushing the marred mare back into the house before closing the door.

Turned her head around inside.

"Where did they place the medicine? Bandages—do you need bandages?"

"I feel fine," Dash nonchalantly replied as she walked back to her chair, to her book.

"No, you don't!" Fluttershy said. Covered her mouth. "I mean, feelings could deceive you, but I'm not here to judge your...uh, feelings."

Dash glared at her with her scarred eye.

"Eep!"

Fluttershy up the stairs.


Another knock on the door.

Dash about to take off, wing open.

Pouted as she closed her wing and walked to the door.

Opened it.

"Wha?"

"Yes, Rainbow Dash," Pinkie Pie said, donned in her gray and black Rock Trooper uniform—her face stained by a forehead's scab. "I stayed here for a few days. I knew it wouldn't be wise to sneak up on you or do any of the old pranks we've done. Also, I had to make sure that your parents weren't at home—otherwise, I'd think we'd be having a case of chronic crying on our hooves for your poor folks."

Rainbow nodded. "Yeah. Good. Come inside. Try and 'comfort' me away."

She went inside and closed the door after her.

Back inside the living room.

Pinkie noticed the closed windows. Did not say a word.

Rainbow plopped herself on her chair. Picked up the open book.

Pinkie went to her side. Reading, too.

On the right, a single picture of a blue foal hugged by her Mom and Dad.

All smiles.


Still another knock.

Slowly, up from the chair walked to the door.

Opened it.

A stifled gasp. Bit her hoof.

Trembling.

"Rainbow...Dash?"

Patted the filly on the head.

Under the night.

"I know, Scootaloo," she said. "It's true."

Spread her wing open.

"One wing."

Scootaloo breathed fast, wheezing. "Wha-how-how?! You're the best of the best! And, here—and, there—what could—is there—did you—"

Firm grip on her shoulder.

"I was the best of the best." Peered to the side, avoiding her face.

That innocent face.

"I am not anymore, squirt."

Heaving sobs. Wiping her tears to no avail.

"Rainbow Dash!"

Hugged her.

Rainbow hugged her back.

Closed eyes.


Laying on the couch in the living room.

"How am I supposed to live?!" she cried out, stretching a hoof toward the ceiling. "What's a pegasus without a pair of wings? A pegasus flies! I can't fly!"

"Rainbow," Fluttershy said, walking to her as she carried a plate of biscuits with her, "I don't think that's a nice way to talk about yourself. You sound so sad."

"Thanks for the obvious, Fluttershy!" she retorted. "Look at you! You're Fluttershy! Doesn't even wanna fly half the time! Yet, here I am, and you're better than me at all things flight! Better than a Wonderbolt!"

Fluttershy hastily put the plate down, whimpering. "S-Sorry that I bothered you! I...I..."

Ran off, out the house.

Resisting the tears.


A pelt on the door.

Dash spread her wing and flew.

To fall down to the floor again.

Saying nothing. Only grunts.

Walked to the door and lurched it open.

"Who could it be now?!" she roared.

The newspony dropped a bundled newspaper and flew away, screaming in fright.


Looked up at a poster.

Three pegasi suited in yellow and blue. Flying off, the sun reflected on their goggles.

Looked down.

Forlorn.

A tear on the cloudy floor.

"I...I wanted to be a Wonderbolt all my life," she whispered. "I achieved it. My dream."

Furled open her wing.

Looked at it. Examined it. Cherished it.

To her left. Space.

No wing.

"Gone."


One more knock on the door.

Dash was already standing.

She walked through the hall and to the door again.

Opened it.

"Oh, it's you." She faced Pinkie Pie.

Who had a little smile on her face.

"What's going on?" Rainbow asked, disinterested. "It's been some time since I've seen you smile."

"Well, I searched about," Pinkie replied, a little energetic. "You wanna know what I found?"

"What?" Dash said with a groan. "If this is another one of your jokes...I don't want to hear it."

"It's not a joke!" Pinkie said, taking a step forward. "I Pinkie Promise it!"

Dash gave her a curious glance. "OK...what is it?"

"Could you go down to Ponyville?" Pinkie asked. "Specifically, Ponyville Hospital?"

"You know I can't just 'go down'." Dash spread open her wing yet again. "Remember?"

"Which is why I brought over a familiar face to help you!"

Stepped aside to reveal an armored Thunderlane standing in the front yard. He waved at her.

"What?!" She reeled back. "Thunderlane?! How did you get the permission? The clearance?"

"Spitfire herself approved them all," he replied.

Pinkie's smile grew. "Oh, Rainbow Dash, you're going to be in for one big surprise!"


A way off from Ponyville was the Ponyville Hospital. A three-floor establishment surrounded by fresh fields of prairie, it beckoned both the well and the sick to enter into its welcoming embrace.

Fluttershy went inside.

The waiting area had pillow-lined seats, coloful landscape paintings, bright yellow lights, and a receptionist's desk where some nurses were, attending to a short line of patients and their families.

Spotted a caramel-tinted pony wearing a long white coat and a pair of glasses.

Ran to him.

"Uh, doctor, sir?" she asked, tapping him on the stethoscope around his neck.

He turned around. "Right!" he said in a ready tone. "You must be Fluttershy."

"Why, yes...Doctor Horse?"

He nodded. "I'll lead you to the other waiting area for more serious cases like Rainbow Dash."

And she followed him through the hallway and up a flight of stairs.


In front, two wide and white doors. No windows on them. They stood out from the green walls and the blue carpet, a disturbing oddity in the mix of colors.

Opposite the doors, sitting on the waiting chairs, were Bow Hothoof, Windy Whistles, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and Scootaloo.

All waiting.

Silent, watching the doors.

"What are they doing to her inside?" Scootaloo asked, shaky and unsteady as she turned to the parents.

Windy shook her head, turned away from her.

Bow faced her. "They're doing the first ever surgery where they install..." and turned to Pinkie. "What do they call it?"

"A cybernetic limb actuator," Pinkie said with a blank expression.

Bow turned back to Scootaloo.

"And that is...?" she asked further, trailing off.

"A mechanical wing," Fluttershy told, leaning in to see the filly from the other side of the seats. "It will take some time getting used to, but...it's better than not having a wing."

A sob.

Bow held Windy tight. "Don't you worry, honey. Everything's going to be alright. Ponyville Hospital has expert surgeons and prosthetists helping our Dashie right now. You've got to trust them."

Covered eyes, hoof and foreleg over them.

She nodded, whimpering though not a word.

Scootaloo looked back at the doors.

No sounds could be heard from behind them.

Only the hoofsteps in the hallway.

And a mother's muffled melancholy.

PreviousChapters Next