• Published 5th Dec 2017
  • 1,686 Views, 129 Comments

A War - Comma Typer



The Great Crystal War has raged on, each weary day upholding the dreadful conflict with no end in sight. This is the story of some ponies (and more) all caught up in the reality of war from beginning to...end?

  • ...
6
 129
 1,686

PreviousChapters Next
News among Other Things: Convocation

On Monday, "The Canterlot Chronicle" had this as their headline news above a picture depicting Princess Celestia, Queen Novo, a griffon in a business suit, a feline with a crown, a deer wearing a thick golden necklace, a yak donning golden breeches and clothing, a buffalo having a feathered headpiece, a humongous dragon in the background, and a tiny creature with transparent wings, among other creatures present and represented.

They were not smiling at all.

Instead, the photograph showed them discussing something inside a large room that could seat hundreds of critters. It had a somber mood to it, almost funereal yet earnest.

The headline article was as follows:

Emergency Convocation on the Great Crystal War
As of 5:00 AM today, the first Convocation of the Creatures in over 700 years convened at Mt. Metazoa to tackle the growing problem of King Sombra and the Crystal Empire. It will last from today until this Thursday.

Unlike previous convocations, this one was declared an emergency event. Security, which has always been strict, was tightened further for the duration of the convocation.

Among those present are: Princess Celestia of Equestria, Queen Novo of Hippogriffia, President Gestal of Griffonstone, the King of Abyssinia (who still refuses to be named on the press), King Aspen of Thicket, Prince Rutherford of Yakyakistan, Chief Thunderhooves of the Buffalo Tribe, Dragon Lord Torch of the Dragon Lands, and Seabreeze of the Breezie Village. More have been stated to arrive.

General meetings have begun amongst the leaders. Further details will be announced in our afternoon edition.


On Tuesday, "Equestria Magazine" displayed a painting as its cover. The painting had King Sombra as the shadowed subject and suspect, with his shadowy mane covering the ground. Then, rising from the right was a question mark. The headline of this edition was titled "The World on the Brink: Can Friendships be Forged to Regain Peace Once and for All?"

A part of the lengthy article was:
When everyone woke up to a bright morning last week's Monday, no one expected the news that shocked the world and slammed the brakes on life as we knew it.

Now, it's been eight days since the Crystal Empire declared war on Equestria. Despite further invitations to the king to reconsider his actions, the conflict has not only continued but escalated. In a string of defeats, Equestria's military has been humiliated time and time again, first due to shoddy preperation and transportation of troops to the frontlines and then to poor tactical and even strategical planning that have brought further shame upon high command. Combined with the demoralizing invasion of Vanhoover and the Crystal forces slowly dominating the Great Northern Plains of Equestria while utilizing the Arctic North and its resources, ponies at home aren't holding up their full optimism (although it's been noted that they've still shown the happiness and the hope from before).

Today, all eyes are on the world's leaders who are currently staying in the Hall of Unity.

During general meetings yesterday, distressing developments were brought to light.

One: Prince Rutherford aired his fears about his land being the first to be trampled by King Sombra. Yakyakistan and the Crystal Empire are very close to each other, General Spearhead claiming that it's within striking distance of 'expert pegasi strike squads'. He's requested for immediate assistance in the form of both military forces and other resources such as the construction of additional defences.

Two: Many leaders there appealed to Princess Celestia to finish the war directly through a solar-powered attack. While the specifics for each idea varied, the general consensus was that she should focus the light of the sun on the Crystal Empire and its Crystal ponies who reside there. She replied to this with her controversial response: "As much as I want to do that, I cannot." While no major riots have happened within Equestria yet, the E.U.P. Guard has been ordered to be on higher alert in various urban areas.

Three, the most alarming of the developments: Not many supported Equestria in its plea for help.

This is inspite of the Princess's emotional and rational speech about the situation of the realm. Several cited their reasons for not supporting Equestria in their war, with President Gestal being the most incisive of them all:

"Whenever non-ponies look at Equestria, what do they see? A land brimming with wealth, opportunity, and happiness.
Whenever they look back to their homes, what do they see? A land lacking in wealth, opportunity, and happiness.

"How do I know this? I've experienced it myself. I live in an abysmal city, a mere shadow of its former itself. While your historians can blame it on the magical properties of some missing golden statue, the fact of the matter is that ponies don't support us, so why should we support them?

"Before you tell me the old reason of being a kingdom that can produce for itself—well, what about you show us some kindness? If you think that we can't do it on our own, isn't that more than enough to move you to act on it? And don't tell me that we'll become lazy and dependent on your society. We are smarter than that. Culture and prosperity aren't cultivated in an instant, and we know it.

"At first, we'll only consume what you produce. Then, we'll analyze what you produce and try to make our own. Then, finally, having become skilled in your arts, we can go and create classics to be admired and maybe even new art, new forms of art.

"It is so simple, a fledgling can understand it, Princess Celestia. And, having said that, I shall tell you this: If a fledgling can understand that, can you imagine the pain that he must feel when he does understand that—and that it's not happening?'"


On Wednesday, "Ponyville Express" held a beautiful picture of Vanhoover—all of it could be seen in that one wide shot. Then, there was a red diagonal line across the entire picture.

The headline was:

Vanhoover Down
General Spearhead called the last Equestrian soldiers in Vanhoover to retreat at 3 AM. With this action accomplished, Vanhoover is now in enemy hooves.

Vanhoover, the famous port city beside North Luna Ocean, was not only known as one of the best cities to live in but also as home to one of the busiest film industries aside from Applewood, as one of the most visited tourist spots in all of Equestria, and as an industrial powerhouse.

With such a city under the grip of King Sombra, the Crystal Empire can utilize its industry to bolster its existing military. Those caught in the invasion were forced to work for the Empire either as slaves or as unwilling soldiers.

Most of the population, however, have temporarily relocated to safer places such as nearby Tall Tale and Chillwater (a new settlement built specifically for Vanhoover refugees).


On Thursday, "The Equestrian Times" had an article that wasn't a headline although it did hit front page. Buried underneath the bigger letters of the other articles, this one went as follows:

Griffonstone Representative in Ponyville
Galena, known formally as the Griffon Representative to Equestria, is lodging in Ponyville for the meantime. Her reasons for staying aren't related to the Convocation of the Creatures which wraps up today. Instead, it is for 'personal reasons'.

She arranged a meeting with Mayor Mare, with the topics being mainly about cooling off any leftover hate or dislike for griffon culture or customs—despite her reasons for staying being only personal.

The residents of Ponyville have mixed opinions on her impromptu visit. Bon Bon, one of those residents, was of the opinion that "she's only doing her job and, sometimes, that job will inevitably drag you to do unbelievably difficult tasks." Coco Crusoe, another such resident, was of the perspective that "it's political. It's all political. They sent her to make us accept low opinions of the Princess so that we can call off the war early."

PreviousChapters Next