• Published 19th Nov 2017
  • 1,677 Views, 16 Comments

Rehatching - Wynd_Dragon



When something strange begins to happen to Spike, Twilight and friend scramble to find some answers.

  • ...
1
 16
 1,677

Chapter one- Panic in the Kitchen

Twilight sat at her desk, in the office she set up to manage paperwork, make plans, and get some general alone time. She had just finished putting away the last of the files for her next meeting with Mayor Mare, when Starlight burst through the door.

“Twilight!” she gasped as loudly as she could, “The kitchen… Something’s wrong with spike!”

Without another thought Twilight enveloped the two othem in her magic and teleported them both to Spike’s location. There she spied him curled up in a ball between a fallen stool and the cutting table. Running up to him she noticed the little guy’s right claw clenched in agony, a strange shine coming off the fingers. Getting a closer look, she was shocked to witness his scales crystalizing.

“Starlight!” She commanded franticly, “get me every book you can find on dragon, and anything on the crystalizing of living tissue, hurry!”

Bolting from the room, Starlight left Twilight to look after Spike.

Twilight then attempted a healing spell in an effort to alleviate her dear friend’s pain. However, as her magic enveloped Spike’s claw, the appendage seemed to draw the violet energy into itself then proceeded to vacuum the magic directly from Twilight. Thinking fast she was able to sever the connection before losing to much power. Shaking herself out of the shock she looked back at the claw. Gasping in horror to see it now completely crystalized.

With a panic attack chipping at Twilight’s grip on reality, a ring from an egg timer brought her back just enough to reminder her that she had to regain her senses if she wanted to help Spike. Taking some deep breaths, she was able to calm down.

“I may not know what is going on, Spike, but I’ll do whatever it takes to make sure that you’ll be okay.” She promised, uncertain if he could hear her.

She then closed her eyes as she focused her magic. Her horn began glowing as her thoughts conjured images of anyone she could think of that might help. Calling out to them her voice echoed through the castle walls.

“Everyone, please listen,” she pleaded, “This is Twilight Sparkle. I’m using a long-range mass telepathy spell to contact you. Something is happening to Spike and I’m at a loss, if anyone knows anything about dragons turning into crystal, please help.” Twilight collapsed from the spell’s drain.

A yell came from down the hall, “Twilight,” Starlight galloped into the room several stacks of books levitating around her, “I have the… books…!” She panted “What was shaking the castle?!”

“Never mind that.” Twilight groaned as she got to her hooves. “What did you find?”

“Oh, Yes!” Starlight responded, “Unfortunately there were only a few books on dragons or Crystallization, and I couldn’t find anything that covered both,” she paused, “I’m sorry.”

Repeating her breathing exercises, Twilight fought desperately to keep her panic in check. Regaining her composer, she consoled her student, “It’s alright, we just need to start looking and hope there is something that can help us.

In less than a minute after the two mares had begun their search Rainbow Dash zoomed into the room.

“What happened?!Where’s Spike?! Was it an attack?! Who was it?! I’ll make sure that anypony dumb enough to mess with my friends gets the full Rainbow Beating Experience!” Dash announced, furry radiating off of her.

Twilight tried to calm her friend, “Rainbow relax. We don’t know what’s going on, but if-”

A shrill voice cut in, “Twilight!”

Rarity, still wearing a facial mask and robe from the spa, rushed in with Fluttershy right behind her.

“We came as soon as we heard your message.” Rarity explained, before pleading, “How’s my Spikey-Wikey doing?”

“Sorry I took so long.” Apologized Applejack galloping through the open doors. “I’m just glad I was in town.”

“Spike!” Pinky Pie’s horrified scream from filled the room. A pale expression of terror blanketed Pinky’s face as she stared at Spike’s unconscious body.

The other ponies Rushed pass both Twilight and Starlight to see their little friend’s condition for themselves.

Panic erupted from the small group, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, and Applejack blurted frantic ideas of what to do, while Pinky and Fluttershy stared on.

“Girls!” Bellowed Twilight, demanding all their attention. “I appreciate you all coming but if you want to help, then please calm down and help me and Starlight search these books for anything that might be of use.”

Settling down the band of mares quietly obeyed and each grabbed a book.

The hours passed. Several books lay thrown into a pile, most of them finished by Twilight. Though, in order to search more carefully, she was only reading at half her average speed, she was still much faster than any of her friends.

Finishing a page, Twilight became aware of the sound of claws rapidly scratching at hallway floors, followed by a familiar voice hollering, “Twilight!”

“Ember!” Twilight responded, jumping too her hooves, “Ember, follow my voice!”

The scraping footsteps quickly grew louder as Ember rampaged through the halls. A few moments later she barreled past the door.

“Ember!” Twilight shouted, dashing into hall.

A sound much like very large nails on a chalkboard came as the dragon dug her talons into the crystal floor.

Once stopped she raced to meet Twilight, halting just short of crashing into her.

Twilight having braised herself for impact, relaxed when Ember was able to break her speed.

“…where’s… Spike…?” The Dragon Lord pleaded through gasps of breath.

“In here,” Twilight replied, leading her friend through the door.

Fluttershy suppressed her fear while all the ponies present watched on with hope.

“I’m so glad you’re here Ember,” she continued, “none of my books have anything about this”

The two stopped as they now stood before a green and purple oblong crystal ball, with Spike’s curled up silhouette faintly visible from within.

“Well?” Twilight asked, as she stared up at her draconic friend.

Intently, Ember scanned Spike’s condition before her body went limp and she collapsed. 

Author's Note:

This is an idea I had a while ago. Let me know what you think.