• Published 17th Nov 2017
  • 585 Views, 4 Comments

The Best She Can, or, The Rising of a New Dawn - King of Kings



As she gets ready to leave Equestria through the magic portal, Sunset senses a magical disturbance.

  • ...
 4
 585

The End of a Decade

“Wow mommy, look at all these ponies.” Inner Light said, this being his first time seeing a crowd this size. “What do you think is going to happen to them?”

“Hopefully nothing, though that is a good question, son.” Sunset said, unwilling to share what she had learned about Nightmare Moon’s plan with her son. ‘I didn't want to drag him into this before I knew that the entire world was depending on us being able to stop an all-powerful Goddess, and I definitely don't want him knowing what's at stake now that I do know.' That wasn't even taking into account the fact that this was a rather large crowd, and chances were they were going to panic when it wasn’t Princess Celestia that appeared up there, and when that happened, a mob would more than likely form.

When Nightmare Moon appeared up there and demanded to know if anypony remembered her, Inner Light stepped up and told her that he did before Twilight or Sunset had a chance to.

“Ooh I know!” Inner Light said, with all the excitement that a young child is capable of mustering. “You’re Princess Luna, better known as Nightmare Moon!”

While Sunset Shimmer was proud of her son for remembering what they had studied, she was a bit upset that he had set off the trap prematurely. Sure, it still did a lot of damage, but when Nightmare Moon looked right at Inner Light and said “My, but you are an impertinent one, aren’t you?” Sunset Shimmer knew by the deadly tone in Nightmare Moon’s voice, that her son wouldn’t have long for the world if she didn’t do something. So, she did. With all of her considerable magical strength, she sent a barrage of fireballs headed towards Nightmare Moon’s face, each impacting a second after the last. “Leave my son alone, you monster!” She shouted, as she prepared a humongous fireball.

Suddenly, she felt herself be transported a vast distance and came face to face with the last face she had ever wanted to see again. “Celestia.” She spat out, as she began to choke.

Back on Equestria

Inner Light couldn’t believe it his eyes. Mommy had told him that this pony was once a good pony, and that she was just misunderstood, yet, the pony had just killed mommy. He could feel the magic building up like it had so many times before, but before he released it this time he turned to the only other pony that was left in the building, which was the purple unicorn he had passed earlier, and said “good-bye meanie unicorn pony” before he used his telekinesis on her to shove her outside before turning back to Nightmare Moon who was still disoriented.

“This is for my MOMMY!” He said, as he turned his body into a living magical bomb. Nightmare Moon saw this and realized what was happening, but because of what Sunset Shimmer had done to her, she was still too out of it to turn into mist and escape the almost certain death headed her direction from this small colt. With her few remaining moments, she was curious as to what allowed the colt so much magical strength and so she dived into his mind. It was the worst mistake of her life, and, conversely, the best decision she had ever made.

Author's Note:

I've noticed something about my writing style. I tend to focus more on the action/dialogue of the scene than any scenery, or anything else, really. If anyone reading this would be interested, help in focusing on areas other than the action/dialogue would be greatly appreciated.