• Published 17th Nov 2017
  • 585 Views, 4 Comments

The Best She Can, or, The Rising of a New Dawn - King of Kings



As she gets ready to leave Equestria through the magic portal, Sunset senses a magical disturbance.

  • ...
 4
 585

Past and Present

Author's Note:

Here's the original chapter two of the story! Don't worry if it doesn't make much sense, I wrote it where the majority of Vincent Van Gogh's most famous paintings were painted. Or, at the very least, in an environment very similar to the place where Vincent Van Gogh's most famous paintings were painted. Next Chapter we run into Purple Smart the Bitchy Unicorn! (That's totally how Sunset's going to refer to her after next chapter to!)

Years Later

[/center

It’s today’ Sunset thinks to herself, looking at her personal copy of Predictions and Prophecies that she had borrowed from the Palace Library, after making sure to remove the tracking spells on it. ‘I hadn’t wanted to drag him into this at his age…’ she thinks, looking at her son. It was five years after that night, and the event that she had thought was a fluke at the time had actually been a warning as to what her son’s cutie mark was going to be. She still wondered what had happened in his life to make his magic decide that turning him into a living bomb was a good idea. Needless to say, he didn’t have any problems on the power front. Thankfully, she had been around when his magic had first decided to do that and had rushed him to the closest hospital that was able to treat injuries like the ones he had, Celestia and her machinations be damned.

Years Prior

What the doctors told her when she got to the hospital made no sense. At the time, they had said that his pulse was racing, but that his heartbeat was too slow for what his pulse was, and that he was feverish but that he was going into hypothermic shock, and that his insides were a mess. Later she paid for it to be discussed with the greatest magical minds in Equestria, lying through her teeth and saying that the Princess was good for it, knowing that she was going to have to lie low for a while after this, and it was found that his magic had flared due to unknown stresses. They asked her if she might know anything about this, to which she lied again, and told them that she didn’t. Of course, she did, but she wasn’t about to tell them that she had been cornered by five Royal Guards that had apparently been wearing mythril armor that had probably been sent by Celestia to drag her back so that Celestia could use her as a pawn to fix Celestia’s own mess and get her sister back. Nor was she about to tell them that her adoptive son’s own magic field had been far more convincing to her than anything those guards had said until she had seen the state that he was in when he collapsed, as the field had felt just like Celestia’s on a warm spring day. How his magic ended up affecting the guards through their mythril armor, Sunset would never know, but they all suddenly passed out as if from heat exhaustion.

Present Time

That had been the day that she had learned that he could somewhat direct who got affected by the blast, and while she had grateful towards him for his timely actions, it had proved three things: the colt was extremely defensive of her, which she supposed was to be expected, after all, hadn’t she, in her own way, been extremely protective of her ‘mommy’ at his age, at least, until she had stumbled on Celestia’s plot to use her to clean up Celestia’s own messes, that is; and that Sunset desperately needed to teach adoptive son, Inner Light, some other forms of Pyromancy based magic, not just because that was what her cutie mark was in, and so that was what it was going to be easiest for her to teach him, though that certainly helped the decision, but because his own magic seemed to be leaning towards Pyromancy as well; and finally, and perhaps most importantly, there was the fact that being wrapped in that facsimile of Celestia’s magic had made her want to take her innocent son and go running back to Celestia begging to be taken back, regardless of the fact that she would get used. She pitied the next foal to attract Celestia’s ‘benevolent’ attention. Luckily, Inner Light had taken to Pyromancy like a fish to water, Sunset later reflected.

“Hey kiddo, remember that trip to Ponyvillle we were talking about taking?” Sunset asked, hating every word.

“Sure I do, mommy!” Inner Light replied, enthusiastically. “Wait, is it today? Is that why you’re asking?” He continued, excitedly.

“Yeah” Sunset replied, morosely. “Today’s the day.” She had been dreading this day ever since she had unwittingly gained a son all those years ago, especially as their first and most important rule, which was ‘no using your main magical spell except for when I’m there to get you to a hospital’ seemed to go out the window whenever it looked like she might get hurt if he didn’t.

“Well, what are we waiting for, mommy?” Inner Light said, with all of the exuberance a small child is capable of mustering. “I wanna go explore a spooky forest and fight manticores and…”

No!” Sunset said, cutting him off. “Under no circumstances are you to engage the wildlife!”

“Yes mommy.” Inner Light said, having heard Sunset’s “I will not be argued with” voice several times before. He knew enough to know that she only used it to keep him from ending up in the white room where needles poked into him.

“All right. So, when we get there, what are you looking for?” Sunset asked, as she and her son set off to the train station.