• Published 14th Nov 2017
  • 1,239 Views, 39 Comments

Familial bonds: part two - Darling Dearest



Rainbow Dash and her parents try their hardest to discover the truth about Scootaloo's home life.

  • ...
1
 39
 1,239

Scootaloo's confession

Rainbow stood at the edge of the Wonderbolts academy. Her day, whilst very enjoyable, had been physically taxing, thus she couldn’t wait to snuggle up in her bed, properly preparing her for whatever the next day brought. However, just as she was about to take of to her cloud home, she felt the light pressure of somepony else’s hoof on her shoulder.

“Hey Crash.”

“Oh, hey Spitfire. I’d stay an’ chat, but I got parents to get back to.”

“Yeah, I know, I just wanted to say thank you for coming here today. Ya didn’t need to, and I’m sure you and y’ parents would ‘a had ‘a great time, so we’re really thankful that you helped out. We’ve really needed ya.”

“Ha, what can I say except your welcome… I’m just THAT awesome.”

“I guess I owe ya that one.” Spitfire said jokingly.

“But seriously, it’s been my pleasure. I’m happy to help.”

“You’re a good friend Crash. Now please, take a couple weeks of, show your parents a good time, an’ figure out what’s goin’ on with this Scootaloo filly an’ her folks.”

“I will Spitfire, thank you. I know that somethin’s not right at her home… I just need to find out what”

“I’m sure you will Crash, this is YOU we’re talkin’ about, you never give up when you care about somethin’!”

“Thanks Spitfire, I wouldn’t be nearly as persistent without all that Wonderbolts trainin’.”

“You’re to kind Rainbow. Now go on, that ‘storm of the centuary’ I keep herrin’ about should be starting soon, and I wouldn’t’ wanna be flying home in the rain if I was you.”

Rainbow Dash looked up with a discomforted face. The sky had turned completely to an evil black, blocking out the majestic dark blue of the night that lay behind it. The clouds twirled and roared, with an occasional small lightning bolt jolting from the growing anger. The storm was ready to wreak havoc. Rainbow had heard of this storm a week prior, the citizens of Equestria had all agreed to have a large storm then to allow for sunny weather conditions for the following weeks.

Having one large storm as opposed to multiple smaller ones had become a common tradition for the country, thus the ponies had grown accustomed to preparing themselves for the onslaught of rain, hail and lightning that bombarded their cities and towns once every two months. Rainbow had almost forgotten about the storm’s existence, having become so used to it, thus she frowned at the reminder.

“Yeah, flyin’ home in this weather ’d be a nightmare! So, I should probably…

Before Rainbow could finish her utterance, she felt a splash of water crash upon her nose. There was a moment of silence, before a barrage of freezing raindrops landed upon the two pegesi.

“Ha too late Crash!” Spitfire shouted over the loud and obnoxious sound of rain shooting from the clouds.

“Ugh! This’ll be fun… Meh, it’ll be over quickly. See ya later Spitfire.”

“See ya soon Crash, good look with the filly. And thanks again for everything today.”

The two mares gave each other confident and reassuring smiles, before Rainbow set off into the now almost pitch-black sky, the wind howling and the air around her having been consumed by the endless, freezing rain that made Rainbow’s fur stand on end in a failing attempt to catch any resemblance of warmth that remained. However, Rainbow was a strong mare and had flown in similar conditions in the past, thus she found herself being able to fly with little hindrance from the weather, bizarrely seeing it as a minor inconvenience, rather than the omnipresent obstacle that assassinated any plans of travel! As other ponies would’ve seen it.

Rainbow had almost arrived safely back at her home, having long since reached Ponyville, light illuminating from each of the small homes, giving her a better sense of direction. Though she had idiotically decided to take a short cut across Sweet apple acres, rather than sticking to the longer, yet better lit route through Ponyville. Nevertheless, she was familiar enough with her surroundings to navigate her way through the solemn and heartless black. However, as she flew along what felt like an endless field, the weight of the rain finally beginning to wither her stamina, she noticed an anomaly. Whilst it was small and practically invisible, Rainbow was certain that she saw a dark orange lump in the vast abyss.

“N... N… No. It… It can’t be.” Rainbow thought to herself as terror consumed her subconscious, and her heart sank into oblivion.

Rainbow flew to the lump as fast as her now feeble body would allow. Her suspicions were confirmed. Scootaloo lay there. Her whole body having turned limp and numb from the endless streams of biting, glacial water that passed over her, as if she were a lifeless rock. Rainbow quickly took the filly into her forelegs, determined to provide as much warmth as possible to her unconscious sister. The little body had lost all strength, the drops of water that continuously fell down her practically turning to ice as they dripped off the tiny filly. Scootaloo showed no sign of movement, remaining paralyzed in Rainbow’s forelegs, the bitter rain having frozen her whole body and taken every ounce of her might.

Rainbow held her sister in a tight grasp. Watching intently as she let out tiny breaths that turned to frost as they hit the air, before disappearing into the black void of the night. She fired off to her cloud home, ignoring her body’s groans for a slower, less strenuous flight, instead flying at speeds faster than she could ever have thought possible under normal circumstances. Scootaloo once again appeared so small in her forelegs, her tiny body so limp from the unbearable cold that bombarded her. Thus, Rainbow shot home with an angry determination, wanting so desperately to get her Scootaloo to the warmth and safety she was in such dire need of. Nothing was going to stop her from protecting the little filly in her forelegs.

Only a few minutes passed before Rainbow reached her home.

“Mom! Dad!”

“Welcome home Dashy, did you have a nice…”

“NO TIME MOM!”

“Oh, what’s the… Oh my! OH MY! WHAT HAPPENED!”

“I was on my way home, when I found her unconscious in this field. She was cold, alone, and barely had enough strength to breathe! I hate to think what might’ve… Never mind. Here just take her. I need to go get towels, blankets, anything that’ll warm her up!”

“Don’t worry about it Dashy, you stay with her, I know she’s unconscious, but she still trusts you more than anypony else. We’ll go get the towels and blankets.”

“Thanks dad. But are you sure you know where to get ‘em.”

“We may have had a quick look around the house when you left this mornin’. I think we’re familiar with it by now. Right Windy?”

“Right! Hold her tight Dashy, we’ll be right back.”

Rainbow waited patiently in her living room whilst her parents gathered what Scootaloo needed., holding the filly tighter than she ever had done before. Scootaloo’s frozen fur finally began to melt, causing uncomfortable lukewarm water to be released into Rainbow’s already wet coat. Though she couldn’t have had the slightest of cares. Her Scootaloo was safe in the warmth of her home.

“Oh Scoots. Why did ya have to go and do this! Never worry me like that again.”

Rainbow was aware that Scootaloo couldn’t hear her, though she still found talking to her reassuring, it reminded her that the filly she cared for so deeply was still alive.

“Okay Rainbow, we’re back.” Bow said as both he and his wife rushed down the stairs with a many blankets and towels between them.

“Thanks, guys. Now let’s get Scoots warmed up.”

Rainbow wrapped Scootaloo in a towel, lightly rubbing her with it in an attempt to dry her soaked fur. She then gently laid the filly on her sofa, resting her tiny head on a cushion. Bow and Windy then proceeded to place three very thick blankets on top of her, producing the heart-warming image of an adorable sleeping filly, oblivious to the torrential weather outside. If somepony were to see Scootaloo in this state, they would’ve been unable to guess that she had, only moments prior, been found unconscious in a field in the pitch black of night.

“Okay, she’s safe now. Those blankets will’ve warmed her up soon and she should wake up, you have nothing to worry about now Dashy. But are you sure you’re okay. I mean, you were stuck in that storm as well, and seein’ your little sister unconscious in a storm like this one can’t ‘a been good for ya.”

“I’m fine dad. Just… A little shocked, and kinda angry. How could’ve Scootaloo’s parents let this happen. SHE’S THEIR DAUGHTER! I’m no parent, but even I know that ignoring your foal going out is a huge storm is one of the WORST things you can do!”

“I know Rainbow, we’re angry too, and we WILL get to the bottom of this. But you never know, maybe her parents have noticed, and are really worried right now. We don’t know why Scootaloo was out on her own, so we’ll just have to ask her when she wakes up. But for now, lets just be happy that she’s warm and safe. We’ll talk worry about what she was doing later.”

“Yeah… Yeah. Thanks mom, I guess I got a little carried away. Scoots is safe and that’s all that matters.”

Rainbow looked over at her sister with a happy smile and a sigh of relief. Her little Scootaloo really was safe.

“Thanks, guys. I’d probably be totally lossin’ it right now if it weren’t for you.”

“Your welcome Dashy, is there anything else we can do.”

“Uuummm… Ah. I got a couple cans ‘a vegetable soup in the cupboard over the oven. Would ya mind heatin’ one up for Scootaloo. I’d do it myself… But I really don’t wanna leave her right now.”

“On it!” Windy said obediently, as if she were one of the Wonderbolts recruits that Rainbow had been training.

“Thanks mum.”

Rainbow then turned to face Scootaloo, so calm and peaceful, whereas she had once been so cold and alone. She gave a disheartened expression, being unable to ignore her turbulent thoughts of what may happened to her little filly had she not spotted her. She then suddenly felt her father’s gentle hoof on her shoulder, who then proceeded to give her a welcoming and loving smile that melted her doubts.

“It’s alright Dashy, she’s safe now.”

“Yeah, but what if…”

“What if nothing. Who knows what could’ve happened. But what did happen is that you, like the awesome pony you are, swooped down and saved this little filly from the storm. Now, the foal we all love is safe and warm, and it’s all thanks to you Dashy. You should be proud ‘a yourself.”

“Sorry dad, I know she’s safe now, but I just hate to think what might’ve happened if I hadn’t… If I hadn’t…”

“Now calm down my little pony, I know that you love her dearly, that’s why ya so upset. But hey, she’s safe now, and she’s not going anywhere. You saved her Dashy, nothin’ bad happened and she’s gonna be alright. Just look at her over there, she’s perfectly fine, you have nothing to worry about anymore.”

“Okay… I think I’m good now.” Rainbow said whilst letting out a large breath to calm herself down. “She’s perfectly fine… Thanks dad, I hate getting all mushy, but I just can’t stand to think of my little Scootaloo so alone in such a terrible storm. I really needed you to calm me down there, I could ‘a…”

Before Rainbow could finish her utterance, she heard a groan coming from her sofa. Both ponies quickly turned to see Scootaloo slowly opening her eyes. The warmth of the nurturing environment having finally healed her.

“Wh… What happened?” Scootaloo said in a very weak voice.

“Scootaloo!” Rainbow squealed before rushing to embrace the filly with a loving, yet gentle hug.

“Rainbow Dash? Wait, where…”

Before Scootaloo could finish talking, she felt Rainbow’s hoof on her lips, signalling for her to remain quiet. Rainbow needed this moment.

“You have no idea how scared I was Scoots. You were knocked out in a field in the middle of a storm, practically frozen solid! I checked to see if you were still breathing, which thank Celestia you were! So, I took you back here and you’re safe now. But… You were so cold back there Scootaloo, I was so afraid I might’ve lost you.”

“Sorry Rainbow, I didn’t mean to make you mad.”

“Oh Squirt, I’m not mad! I’m just so happy that you’re alive and safe. Now come ‘ere you!”

Rainbow brought her sister closer to her, not so much as to squish her or make her feel uncomfortable, but just enough so that the embrace seemed loving and genuine.

“Thanks Rainbow… I can always rely on you.”

“Don’t worry about it Scoots… But don’t you ever scare me like that again young mare! Do you understand? Also, what were you doing out in a storm like this? It’s not safe for anypony to be out tonight, let alone a filly!”

“Oh, em… I just got caught on my way home. It… it’s no biggie… Really.”

“Scootaloo. I know that isn’t true. Please don’t lie to me, I wanna help you but you’re gonna have to be honest with me… So please, just tell me why you were out.”

“Yeah, Rainbow, em… Ya see…”

Scootaloo showed noticeable hesitation and anxiety in her voice, she desperately wanted to avoid telling Rainbow about what had happened, and the pity that she would inevitably receive as a result. Thus, whilst Rainbow was more determined than ever to discover the truth, she noticed how torn the filly was. So, whilst Spitfire’s words of discipline and strictness remained strong in her mind, she brought herself to ignore them, replacing her once bold glare with a friendly and reassuring smile.

“It’s okay Scoots… Don’t worry about that for now. You Just focus on getting warm, we’ll talk later. Alright?”

“Thanks Rainbow, you’re the best sister ever!”

“Hu? That’s… Not possible.”

“Wait what! Why?”

“’Cause you’re the best and most awesomist sister ever ya silly filly! Now get over here an’ be cute ya little Squirt!”

Rainbow pushed Scootaloo back onto her back and began to gently nuzzle her stomach, causing her to let out an uncontrollable, adorable high pitch giggle. For a sweet moment, they could both forget the appalling situation Scootaloo had been found in.

“Ha, ha, I don’t mean to intrude on this adorable little moment you two are havin’, but my Celestia if this isn’t the CUTEST thing I’ve ever seen. Here, I officially nominate and award Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo with the greatest sisters OF ALL TIME award!”

“Thanks dad.” Rainbow said whilst chuckling. “Ha, I can always rely on you to get all sappy, can’t I?”

“Always Dashy, always.”

Scootaloo then raised her mouth to say something, but was quickly interrupted by Windy bursting into the living room, holding a bowl of hot soup that she had prepared for the little filly.

“Here we are Dashy, give it to her once she’s… Oh darling, thank Celestia you’re awake! You gave us such a scare! But don’t worry, you’re out of the cold now… And we’re going to keep you safe. Here, I made you a nice bowl of vegetable soup. Now drink up little miss, or you won’t get better!”

“Thanks, Windy, just what I need right now.”

Scootaloo attempted to reach out her hoof to take the bowl, though before she could push out her leg from the cover, she felt Rainbow quickly pressing her own hoof down on it.

“No… No, you stay under the sheets Scoots, I got this.”

Rainbow then proceeded to take the bowl from the trey, and began to feed Scootaloo the soup. Whilst the young filly was initially opposed to the concept, despising the foalish way in which she was being treated, she soon came to accept her reality. Admitting to herself that the warmth from both the blankets and the soup was too southing and relaxing to put up any resistance… That, and being catered to by the most awesome pony in all of Equestria was the coolest thing ever!

It wasn’t long before Scootaloo had finished the soup, taking a bizarre enjoyment from Rainbow feeding her. Though she was certain to force her idol never to tell anypony what had taken place. However, she was ultimately just thankful for being nursed her back to health. Whilst her coat had once been freezing and dreadfully soaked, it was now warm and comforting, southing her body in allegiance with the perfect atmosphere that the grown ponies had worked so hard to create.

Whilst Rainbow didn’t wish to ruin the blissful scene that stood before her, Spitfire’s earlier words once again crept into the forefront of her mind. Scootaloo had now fully recovered from the storm, Rainbow herself had also dried. Though the fact still remained that a young filly had put herself at serious risk by leaving home during a ferocious storm. Rainbow had to know why.

“Hey Scoot’.” Rainbow said in a significantly more serious tone than she was used to when speaking with the filly.

“Yeah.” Scootaloo responded apprehensively, attempting to deny that she knew what her sister was about to ask.”

“Huuuuuuuuu. I know you don’t wanna talk about this, an’ I don’t wanna pressure you. But Scoots. What were you doing out there?”

“Seriously Rainbow. I was on my way home from the clubhouse an’ I got caught in the storm. What else is there to say.”

“Scootaloo! I know you don’t work that late. I know you’re schedule. An’ even then, it’s against the law for anypony your age to be workin’ so late. So please, stop fighting. I’m not gonna get mad. An’ I’m not gonna laugh at you. None of us are. We all love ya here Scoots, an’ we wanna know what’s wrong. But we need ya to be honest with us.”

Scootaloo finally let go of her lie. Coming to the inevitable conclusion that Rainbow was too persistent, and loved her too much to just ignore her when something was clearly not right. She had no way out. She had to face her fears. She had to tell the truth.

“Okay. I’ll… I’ll tell you the truth Rainbow. I… I ran away.”

“Good. That’s a start sweetie. But why would you want to leave home in this weather?” Windy asked.

“I WAS SCARED! I was scared… alright? My… My parents just… They wouldn’t stop arguing! I was in my bed, tryin’ to get ta sleep. But their voices were even louder than the rain! I don’t know what it was about. But they were just being so mean to each other. I couldn’t take it! So, I ran… Ran away. I thought I could make it to the clubhouse without getting too cold. Sure, it would ‘a been freezing, but there are some blankets there from my last sleepover, so I figured I’d be fine. An’ even if I wasn’t. It didn’t matter. ANYTHING was better than staying home. I just didn’t want them to… to… to…”

Scootaloo was noticeably tearing up from her recollection of the traumatic experience. Thus, Rainbow, completely giving in to her loving instincts, took the little filly into her forelegs and kept her in a close hug.

“Shhhhhh, sh, sh, sh. It’s okay Squirt, it’s okay. It’s over. They’re not gonna hurt you. I’m here now.”

Scootaloo found her sister’s words and embrace unbelievably comforting. All her supressed fear and sadness had now been released. She finally had somepony to cry to. Thus, she just wailed into Rainbow’s soft fur.

“There, there, let it out. You’re all good now Scoots.

Rainbow couldn’t deny that she sounded like Fluttershy, her friend clearly having an influence on her life that she was reluctant to admit. Though she couldn’t deny that being there to support somepony, especially her little Scootaloo, created an amazing feeling that she would be sure to treasure for years to come.

“Th… Thanks Rainbow. I… I… I needed that. You must think I’m weak now, hu. I… I’m so pathetic!”

“Now don’t say that Scoots. You got scared. We all get scared. You’re still awesome, nothing’s ever gonna change that.”

“Do you mean it?”

“Of course, Squirt, ponies who tell ya they’re afraid ‘a nothin’ are lyin’ to ya! An’ hey, ya told us the truth, an’ for that we’re real proud ‘a ya.”

“Absolutely Dearie! You’ve clearly been through a lot tonight, and were very happy that you felt comfortable telling us. We love you darling, and don’t ever think you’re any less amazing just because you get scared.”

“Right you are Windy! You’re still that same awesome pony that showed us our daughter’s a Wonderbolt! Don’t think that just ‘cause ya got a little frightened one time that we’re gonna forget about all the great things ya’ve done.”

“Thanks guys, it means a lot.”

“Yeah. An’ even better. Now we know what’s wrong and we can help you.”

“Wait, what do you mean?”

“Scoots, I’m gonna have to talk to your parents about this, they…”

“Oh. No, you don’t have to I’ll be on my way now, but thanks for the…”

“Scootaloo, they scared you so much that you ran off into the storm and got yourself seriously hurt just to get away from them. That’s not okay! And I don’t think you should go back there tonight, the last thing you need is to get sick from the weather again.”

“Wait, so you want me to stay here! Is this like a sister’s sleepover!?”

“I guess so Scoots. Ha, now you go and get comfortable. I’m gonna have a little word with those parents ‘a yours. Nopony scares my Scootaloo and gets away with it!”

“Oh Dashy, can’t you just speak with them in the morning? That weather can’t be good for you either.”

“Uh, Windy. Ya know that they’re still her parents, right? They must be worried sick right now. They deserve to know where their daughter is.”

“Fair enough. Just… Be safe Dashy, we don’t want you getting sick as well, now do we?”

“I will be mom. An’ Scoots, thanks for tellin’ us, I know how hard that must ‘a been for ya. But I got this now, you just stay warm, an’ I’ll be right back.”

“Thanks Rainbow, I really thought that you’d stop being my sister and think that I was weak an’ pathetic if I told you the truth. But, you’re still here for me. Thank you.

“Scootaloo, I will always love you, don’t ever forget that. Ha, keep her safe for me mom an’ dad.”

Rainbow then reached out to hug her sister one final time, before beginning her short flight to Scootaloo’s home, angered by the neglect the filly’s parents had shown, yet still prepared to remain reasonable.

As the door to the cloud home shut behind their daughter, Windy and Bow both took Scootaloo into a similar embrace to that which Rainbow had given her only moments prior.

“What are you doing?”

“Rainbow’s not the only pony who was scared for you sweetie.”

“Yeah, an’ she left us in charge ‘a keepin’ you safe. So, don’t think we’re letting you out of our sight young mare!”

“Ha, thanks guys.”

“You’re welcome dearie. Now, I happen to know where Rainbow keeps her Daring doo collection, want us to read you some before bed time?”

“That sounds great!”

“Alrighty then. Have you read any of them before?”

“I’ve been meaning to, but no yet, no.”

“I’ll go grab the first one then.”

Windy then raced to Rainbow’s small, yet tightly pact book shelf, and grabbed her copy of Daring doo and the quest for the sapphire stone. She then quickly returned to the sofa that the other ponies were waiting on, and proceeded to snuggle Scootaloo between herself and her husband, making sure that she was comfortable and ready to enjoy a relaxing evening after all she had been through that day.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the length of this chapter, I tried to keep it as concise as possible, but I soon realised that the length was needed to make the events seem natural.