• Published 10th Nov 2017
  • 1,228 Views, 29 Comments

The Tale of Two Sisters - Underwood



Follow Celestia and Luna from foalhood to regency, bridging the gaps of ancient Equestrian history.

  • ...
2
 29
 1,228

Chapter 18: Bayou Blues

The following day of travel down the eastward trail was uneventful, with Celestia remaining unusually silent despite Sweet Blossom's unwavering energy, stories, and myriad comments about the world around them. It was hard to tell how much time had passed by the time the trio arrived at the outskirts of Haysead Swamp, though all were keen to leave behind the bleak desert and looming mountains behind for some fresh scenery beneath the olive-green canopies. As lush trees and frilled underbrush began to multiply around them as they continued, it was the smell that truly let them know they had arrived, followed by a musky heat that somehow sapped their strength more than the desert-side road behind them. As much as one might read about these places in books, the reality of being here, with its rotting vines and tarry bogs, overwhelmed the senses more than you could ever imagine from words alone. Hooves would dip into thick, hidden mud, requiring a strong pull to free them, along with the most unpleasant and guttural of sounds; meaty leaves would get caught on somepony ahead, only to whip back and slap another in the face; and that was nothing compared the unsettling sounds of hidden creatures rustling bushes and sliding into brown pools, hopefully more afraid of the ponies than the ponies were of them.

“Do you know where you're going?” Celestia called forward to Sweet Blossom, who was currently leading the pack. The change of scenery and fresh hazards seemed to have cleared the glaze over her eyes, only to bring her right back to criticizing their new companion.

“Nope! Uncle Rootin' had plenty a' stories 'bout Haysead proper, but nothin' 'bout the trip there.”

“So why are you leading us, again?”

“Yer welcome to walk ahead if ya know any better,” she suggested with a creeping curtness to her voice. It seemed that not even she was strong enough to survive the unicorn's acerbic attitude forever. “But Ah'm sure you'd just be followin' the same ol' path as Ah am.”

Celestia looked down, and sure enough they did seem to be following a worn-in path, flanked by the occasional broken fern or displaced branch left by previous travellers. It was somewhat embarrassing that her sheltered life had left her so unprepared to survive in the real world, that even a country bumpkin who had never left her commune somehow had better instincts than her. Her mind almost began to spite Starswirl for his useless teachings, before remembering why they had come to his forsaken swamp in the first place.

“You mentioned your uncle before; what's he like?” Luna asked as she sheepishly dodged a low-hanging vine, causing one hoof to sink into a particularly soggy patch of soil, the retrieval of which sent her staggering back to the other side of the trail as she desperately tried to shake the muck off.

“Oh, ol' Uncle Rootin' Tootin'? He's full'a adventure, always tellin' me stories of his travels up here and around. He meets all sorts a' ponies, tradin' here and there—seems to have a knack for getting' into trouble, too. Why, once he even saved a griffon's life in this very bog!”

“Really?” both sisters asked, one amazed and the other sceptical.

“Sure! In fact, unless he's off on one of his more excitin' adventures, he should still be in Haysead when we get there—'least that's what the old'ns were countin' on for mah trip back; that's how Ah convinced 'em to let me come. Ah don't get to see him much between his travels, so it'll be real nice if Ah get to spend time with him... If he ain't there, well, it shouldn't be too hard to retrace mah steps, and that'll really show 'em that Ah can look after mahself!”

“Let's hope it doesn't come to that,” Luna fretted, not feeling secure in the feral swampland as part of a trio, let alone sending her back through it alone.

The three ponies pressed on, swatting at mosquitoes and giving particularly ripe marshes a wide berth. After a few hours of traversing the swamp, the path eventually led to a wide, murky-green river dotted with bald cypress trees and long, ominous shadows moving beneath the surface. It seemed safe to assume that this was the bayou they were told to find, so the village itself should be not long ahead of them as long as they followed the bank. Sure enough, after a brisk trot to outpace the looming aquatic threats, pony-made structures began to reveal themselves from behind the treeline ahead. It would have been easy to miss the mossy wood and earth-tones of the village had it not been for the directions provided—in fact, it was a miracle that this backwater collection of damp huts had any contact with the outside world at all, let alone established trade routes. Whatever business they did here must be special indeed.

“Wow, look! It's like a fairytale!” Blossom whispered in awe as they breached the final few trees obscuring the village.

“Really? What fairytales do you read?” Celestia sneered, earning a kick from her sister.

Slowing down as they entered the outskirts of Haysead Swamp proper, the sisters were a little taken aback by what a wholly unremarkable location it was. Suspended over the murky green bayou running past them, the village was clearly not designed to be seen from the bank, as their view was little more than the backs of ramshackle huts and rickety wooden structures that snaked across the river's width, all covered in moss and half-rotten as they sagged over the dank water. A lone building sat on the shore in front of them, next to the only visible ramp onto the slightly higher boardwalk that erratically webbed across the water, comprising the backbone of the entire settlement. The terrestrial structure itself appeared to be the village's trading post, given the illustrated burlap sack that hung above its saloon-like door, suggesting that this desolate, muddy clearing was the hub for all outsiders after the long and arduous journey here. There was little offered in the way of amenities, besides a hitching post for carts, a fresh-water trough, and what seemed to be a large postbox, leaving a mixed message as to whether visitors were welcome in the village or not at all.

As the group came to a natural stop outside the wooden hut and ramp, it became apparent just how expansive this village was as the view down the boardwalk revealed itself. The main stretch from the shore was filled with houses on either side as it reached far across the bayou, branching off into smaller paths all along it until finally splitting in opposite directions. The whole village webbed across the water, held up by the occasional thick wooden beam that reached deep into the riverbed below; small homely huts, two-story shops with their colourful signage, even rickety towers of questionable stability, all built one wooden panel at a time in the most illogical place Luna could imagine, short of a volcano. For her, this was the largest settlement she had ever seen—somehow even bigger than what she had grown up seeing from their hill-top view in South Sea Port, and certainly more dense. The warped and winding planks of the boardwalk were lit by colourful lanterns held up by bunting down the main thoroughfare, while live music hung softly in the air, accompanied by distant singing and laughing, giving the whole village a festive atmosphere. It was no surprise how well sound travelled over the bayou, given the glassless windows and erratic, staggered planks that formed most of the buildings' walls, no doubt due to the high humidity of the area making insulation far from necessary.

The young Princess could barely contain the excitement bubbling up inside her at the prospect of meeting an entire village of happy ponies, which was far from the devastation she had been taught to expect upon leaving the time-locked house. The Aztecan temple had certainly made a bad first impression, and Macintosh Pass would have been entirely miserable if it hadn't been for Sweet Blossom, so this was a very welcome departure from their struggles so far. If they had more time she would love to explore every inch of this lively, homely place, full of wonder and mysteries, but the suffering of Equestria's citizens had gone on long enough for them to tarry in this place. They were here on a mission, and nothing else should get in the way of that.

“Did your uncle ever mention where exactly this mage lived?” she asked aloud, breaking the silence that had fallen over the group.

Sweet Blossom shook her head. “Sorry. He's told plenty 'a stories 'bout his dealin's 'round town, but he ain't never mentioned Mage Meadowbrook. Come to think of it, most of his stories took place in the saloon, or at least started there. Ah know about as much as y'all do.”

“I wouldn't be so sure of that,” Luna grumbled under her breath, steadily tiring of being so out-of-touch with the world around them.

“We haven't heard the full story of the Mage, so perhaps there are some details you know that we don't,” Celestia suggested, remaining unusually alert as she eyed their surroundings. “Anything about her time before leaving the swamp.”

'Time before leaving the swamp', huh? Well, let's see.” Sweet tapped her chin with her hoof, trying to recall the details of Granny Pearl's stories. “She were a healer, even before setting off with the Pillars—awful good wit' critters and ponies alike. Saved the whole village from a plague once, what Ah remember.” She sighed and shook her head. “Can't we just ask 'round? The locals'll know exactly where the old Meadowbrook place is.”

“No, it's best if we don't involve these ponies as much as possible,” Celestia answered curtly, clearly on edge. “Even if they don't spread word that an alicorn is in town, I get the feeling these ponies aren't the welcoming type.”

“What?!” Luna balked. “Why would you say that?”

“I don't know.” She squinted, focusing on a fairly rowdy looking building at the furthest junction of the boardwalk ahead of them. “I just feel like this place likes to keep its secrets.”

Luna shook her head. “Another hunch courtesy of Summer Twinkle?” She smirked wryly, though the complete lack of reaction from her sister was sobering. Was this place actually dangerous?

“Let's go,” Celestia announced as she started towards the wooden ramp, though not with her usual, confident strides. “You said she was a healer, right? Keep an eye out for apothecaries and herbalists, we might get lucky.”

“Wait!” Luna snapped with an uncharacteristically raised voice, and more shocking still was that Celestia actually complied. “If we really do need to be careful here, shouldn't I hide that I'm an alicorn?”

It was so obvious that Celestia was stunned it had never crossed her mind. The Aztecan temple had been a whirlwind of adrenaline, and they were too exhausted to think about it before entering Macintosh Pass, but here, right now, they actually had a moment to take precautions and not act on impulse alone. Before Luna's transformation, they could have blended in without raising too much suspicion, but an alicorn casually strolling through town was bound to turn some heads. As unsure as they were about Discord's current status, the longer they could remain incognito, the more they could get done before having to find out.

With a nod from Celestia, Luna closed her eyes and focused on her horn. After a small flash, the protruding spike on her head disappeared and her hair relaxed, as though nothing had ever been there. This was, of course, just a visual illusion taught to her by Starswirl, but as long as nothing touched her head then nopony would be the wiser—a much smaller target than her wings, which she still hadn't gained full control of. It was too late to undo her previous sightings, but the Aztecans were a secluded group, and the majority of ponies at Old Macintosh seemed too busy in their day-to-day work to even notice the new arrivals, so their chances were good. This being the most populated area they had visited so far, it was good they had caught this early, given the increased risk of bumping into one of those so-called 'Discord loyalists' here.

With a collective nod of preparedness, the three ponies mounted the weathered boardwalk and made their way toward the heart of the bayou, the thick wooden beams groaning beneath the wary clop of their hooves. As they passed the first branching path not far along, the corner house revealed a short, dumpy stallion strumming a banjo on his porch, rocking lazily on his chair with a reed in his mouth.

“Howdy there, sir! Nice night for it—or day—hard to tell these days, ain't it?” Sweet Blossom energetically called out while waving.

Celestia face-hoofed at the immediate disregard of her instruction to keep a low profile. Was this mare incapable of not speaking to every pony she encountered?

The bearded pony opened his eyes slowly, without breaking the rhythm of his strumming, rocking, or chewing, though remained disinterested.

“Don't suppose we could ask ya' for directions?”

“Y'all sightseers?” he grunted, barely moving a muscle in his face.

“Well, we-” She looked back at the princesses, who were clearly unhappy about this situation. “Not quite.” She turned back to the gravelly bumpkin. “But where are mah manners? Name's Sweet Blossom! Ya' might know my uncle, he comes 'round these parts to trade and such, by the name of Rootin' Tootin'.”

“Rootin' Tootin', ya' say?” The old terran stopped his rocking and held his banjo to the side, turning to spit out a wad of... something. “Sûr, I know ol' Rootin'. Been keepin' an eye out for that rouscailleur after what he did to my daughter. I'd bet on him bein' at the cabaret or saloon, drinkin' some calebasse under the table before robbin' him blind, no doubt.”

“O- Oh, Ah see. Thanks.”

“You see him, you tell him ol' Barley Brew is lookin' to wrap his strings 'round his neck.”

“O- Okay.” Sweet backed up and continued down the main street without waiting for the sisters, struggling to process the sordid tale she had just heard.

“Are you okay, Sweet Blossom?” Luna asked carefully as she caught up.

“Y- Yeah!” She forced a smile that wasn't fooling anypony, though Luna chose not to press her further. “S- So, do you know what a 'cabaret' is? The sooner Ah find mah uncle, the sooner Ah'll be out'a y'all's manes.”

Luna looked back at Celestia, who had been keeping a wary eye on the strumming stallion as they moved on, but shook her head when she noticed the silent question.

Ca-ba-ret, li-bra-ry... Maybe it's their word for a library?” Luna posed, guessing at best.

“That doesn't seem like somewhere this Uncle would frequent,” the elder sister rebuked, trotting closer to the front. “It's probably something as equally seedy as the saloon... No offence.”

Sweet Blossom remained silent with her head low, questioning the pedestal she had placed her uncle on. He was still a good pony, right? Sure, his stories could be a tad risqué at times, but he wasn't a bad pony... He wasn't.

“If we're going to start looking for him anywhere, my guess would be that place ahead,” Celestia continued, nodding toward the large, white building at the end of the stretch ahead of them. “Seems rowdy enough to at least get some information on the ponies we're looking for.”

Sure enough, the only painted building in sight from the moment they saw the boardwalk stuck out like a sore hoof amongst the sleepy and dilapidated houses around it. While song and laughter hung in the air all around them, the source ahead was becoming increasingly dominant as they got closer, with patrons whooping and hollering on tables outside the establishment, and shadows dancing across the golden glow of the windows that were too bright to see through. Even without its stained, white facade, this building stood out as one of the few two-story buildings in the immediate area, first seeming grand with its columned porch before bending up into a cartoonish forced-perspective. This seemed to be a major landmark for the locals, so surely somepony would at least know the direction to the mage's old lodgings.

As they made their way up the southern bank's boardwalk, it became clear that this village—if you could still call it that—was very much built around the centre of the bayou, with buildings growing in size and quantity the further eastward you went. Initially blocked by a sizeable and sheer hill behind the trading post, the rest of Haysead was beginning to come into view between the small branching paths that flanked them. The houses and shops here were still small and spaced out enough for this initial area to feel homely, but the occasional peek down a side-alley showed glimpses of what one might call a slum. The further down the river you could see, the more claustrophobic the buildings seemed to get, with leaning wooden towers sometimes meeting over their dingy alleyways, lacking the colourful lighting of the main path; hollow shells of houses left abandoned and rotting in the damp air, while the odd sound of crying could be picked out from the song and cheer. Still, they had greater concerns than the living conditions of these ponies right now. If what they had been told of Central Equestria was true, then this town seemed better off than most.

A minute or two later, the trio stood before the prominent two-story building, somehow feeling more anxious about entering now than any of their previous misadventures. They kept their distance enough for the musky swamp air and chorus of crickets and frogs to at least match the smell of ale and sounds of who-knows-what debauchery from within. Even the ponies out front seemed difficult to approach, as those occupying the few external tables were either merrily chugging their flagons with friends or seemingly unconscious. The two princesses and their companion looked at one another uncomfortably, with even Sweet Blossom seeming hesitant to approach such an establishment, though the decision would be made for them soon enough. Commotion began to brew within the saloon's walls, barely noticeable at first over the ambient revelry, but punctuated with a half-full tankard flying over the batwing doors that forced the three travellers to scatter as it landed. A moment later, an entire pony blew through the same doors back-first, landing with a graceless thud just short of the mug they had followed. Two muscular, moustachioed stallions in bowler hats opened each side of the swinging door as they gauged their throw, seemingly satisfied as they turned back inside with little more than a snort, much to the amusement of the conscious patrons nearby.

Uncle!” Sweet Blossom screamed, dashing toward the fallen pony as the sisters looked on in startled confusion, only able to watch as she helped him up.

The dark-brown stallion began to dust himself off once back on his hooves, not even acknowledging his niece's unexplained appearance so far from the home she never left. He wore a green velvet jacquard waistcoat and a white dress shirt rolled up to his shoulders, accented by a black string tie and sleeve garters. Most striking of all was his meticulously curled moustache, resting just below a centre-parted mop of black hair, and a mildly annoyed expression between them. Just as he straightened his tie, one of the ponies from within flung a flat-topped gambler hat over the saloon doors, which tumbled to a halt right by his hoof. Non-nonchalantly picking it up and dusting it off, he placed it back on its rightful perch and turned to the mare beside him as though nothing had happened.

“Uncle Rootin'! Are you alright?!”

“Why as Ah live and breathe, if it ain't mah little Sweet Pea.” His voice was as thick as molasses, somehow addressing his niece as though he had only just noticed her. “Now what in Discordia are you doin' outside this chum bucket of an establishment? You're a long way from home, mah dear.”

As Sweet Blossom answered, Luna leaned in to Celestia and whispered behind her hoof.

That's her uncle?”

Celestia shrugged, not expecting somepony quite as seedy from the tales she had been forced to listen to on the way here.

“Oh! Where are mah manners?” Sweet exclaimed, encouraging the stallion to face her friends. “Uncle Rootin', this here is Celestia and Luna, the Princesses of Equestria!” she announced proudly, to the sisters' mortification. “Y'all, this here's mah Uncle Rootin' Tootin' what I told y'all about.”

Sweet Blossom!” Celestia snapped before dragging her hoof down her face in frustration. “Guess there's no point hiding you're an alicorn if she's going to blab to everypony she sees,” she grumbled to her sister.

There was something charming about Sweet's naivete to Luna, but in this situation it was doing them no favours. Still, she wasn't ready to give up on her disguise just yet.

“The 'Princesses of Equestria', y'say, and an alicorn to boot? Well now ain't that somethin',” he mused aloud, stroking his chin. “Can't say ya look like princesses, or alicorns for that matter, but then Ah can't rightly say Ah'd know 'em if they was standin' 'front of me. Given that discretion is the better part a' valour-” He bowed down, doffing his hat to the sisters. “An unexpected pleasure to meet royalty in a backwater place such as this, especially two fine fillies such as yourselves.”

Celestia reflexively cringed, while Sweet Blossom seemed quite proud of her uncle's good manners.

“Oh, Uncle Rootin', these two came here in search of Mage Meadowbrook's old place; don't suppose ya know where it is?”

“Mah dear Sweet Pea, Ah can find things ponies don't even know they lost yet; an entire house is but a trifle. Why, Ah was just now summarily ejected from this 'fine' establishment for spottin' a fifth ace up the dealer's sleeve; and they have the temerity to call me a 'cardsharp'!” He chuckled, shaking his head. “But Ah digress. Sure enough, Ah do know where the old mage lived, and an older-one-still resides. But that begs the question what business y'all have with that old spinster.”

Celestia was quick to reply, intent on beating Sweet Blossom to the answer before she spilled any more of their secrets. Her muscles tensed as she stood tall, taking a single step toward the source of her discomfort.

“We wish to learn more about the Pillars, straight from the horse's mouth. It was before our time, you see.”

“Ah see, Ah see,” he nodded slowly, though his eyes said more than his mouth did. “Plenty a' ponies could tell you them stories, mind you, without needin' to bother the old mare. She ain't much one for visitors.”

“Unfortunately we have come across some inconsistencies in the stories we have heard, so we chose to hear it from a more reliable source.” Celestia's brows furrowed, surprised by the tension she suddenly felt from the words unspoken between them. This uncle of Sweet's was surprisingly astute and clearly hiding something, but what, and why? “Surely you have no stake in us trying?”

The brown terran chuckled and stroked his chin again, smiling at the floor before looking back to the Princess. “Surely Ah don't, mah dear filly; simply lookin' out for safety of the elderly. Shouldn't go givin' out personal details to any ol' pony ya meet, don't ya agree, Princess Celestia, Princess Luna?”

The elder sister winced, feeling their disadvantage increase after Sweet had so innocently shown their hoof to this cardsharp.

“That's Uncle Rootin' for ya; always keepin' an eye out for the vulnerable,” Sweet Blossom beamed, feeling that this introduction was going swimmingly. He even remembered their names!

“It would certainly be mah pleasure to escort Your Royal Highnesses to the old mare's home. Wouldn't want to pass up the opportunity to get to know mah dear Sweet Pea's esteemed friends better; Ah would very much love to know how y'alls met.”

“Thank you for the offer,” Celestia announced with insincerity, “but directions will be more than enough. We wouldn't want to intimidate her by arriving in such a large party. Besides, Sweet Blossom came all this way hoping to see you, so your time would be much better spent giving her a proper tour of the village.”

The blonde mare nodded enthusiastically at this suggestion, drawing his reluctant attention.

“As you wish, Princess. Ah may be known for many things, but turning mah rump on mah family ain't one of 'em. Every moment shared with this here beam a' sunshine is a treasure in and of itself.” He gently hoofed Sweet Blossom on the cheek, causing her to giggle, before pointing down the eastward split of the boardwalk to his left. “The directions are simple enough: go down thataway and take the third turnin' on ya left; that'll take ya to the other side of the bayou, where ya just follow the path to the large tree nearby.”

“She lives in a tree?” Luna asked, having not considered that a possibility for a pony. Perhaps she was a nesting pegasus?

“Plenty 'round here ain't what it seems, lil' miss, you can trust me on that.”

“Well then, thank you for your time, Mr. Tootin'. We'll leave you two to catch up.” Celestia stated with force, eager to end this interaction.

“Please, Mr. Tootin' was mah father. Y'all are welcome to call me Uncle Rootin', too.”

“Thanks, we won't. Are you sure you're going to be okay, Sweet Blossom?”

The pale mare nodded happily. “Ah can't wait to see more of his huge town and all the spots Uncle Rootin' mentioned in his stories! By the way, a local pony mentioned a 'cabaret' earlier, do ya know what that is?”

“Ah surely do, Sweet Pea, but uh-” He chuckled awkwardly, pulling at his collar. “Ah'll tell ya about it when yer older.”

“But Ah'm a fully-grown mare already! Why must y'all treat me with kid gloves all the time?!”

Celestia nudged Luna, indicating that it was time for them to leave. As the sisters passed the two terrans and followed the directions they had been given, Sweet Blossom looked back at them with some regret in her eyes, conflicted about replacing her new friends so abruptly.

“It was real nice to meet y'all!” she shouted after them, energetically waving her hoof. “If y'all have time before ya leave, come find me so Ah can give y'all a proper sendoff, 'kay?”

The Princesses waved back, one more enthusiastically than the other. Luna sighed as they continued down the boardwalk.

“It feels so rude to leave her like that after all this time... She even made these bags for us.” The disguised alicorn batted her personalised saddlebag, which was now mostly empty after their long journey from Old Macintosh.

“This is her life, Luna,” Celestia stated bluntly, seeming even more on edge than when they had arrived. “We can't foalsit everypony we meet on this journey. They're family—they had no issues before we met, so they'll be fine now. The less time we spend with strangers, the better.”

As Luna sighed again, Sweet Blossom slowed her waving outside the saloon, finally lowering her hoof to the floor.

“They sure were in a hurry to leave. Hope they find what they're lookin' for.”

“Indeed they were, Sweet Pea. Must be awful important for them to hear that story,” Rootin' Tootin' pondered, stroking his chin once more. “Can't help but wonder if that really was all there is to their visit, comin' so far for a simple chin-wag.”

“Well, they're hopin' she might know somethin' about their old mentor, Starswirl the Bearded. Can ya believe they really knew him, in the flesh? They was right upset when they heard 'bout his passin' for the first time a few days ago, poor things; so they was hoping she might guide them to his final resting place up north to say their goodbyes.”

Were they now...”


Luna and Celestia trotted down the central wooden spine of Haysead Swamp, following it downstream as the core of the village rose around them. Just like the stretch they had entered on, this wider bridleway was criss-crossed by colourful lanterns and bunting above their heads, though significantly more ponies populated this area, either relaxing outside their houses, half-heartedly attending their stalls, or simply going from A to B. The closer they came to what must be the heart of the town, the more a heady smell filled the air—indescribable to an unfamiliar nose, though likely related to the hazy atmosphere.

Far down the creaky and warped boardwalk was a tall, crooked clocktower, standing hoof-over-head above the other buildings, despite its poor posture. Two winding hands told the time—an invention that the sisters had never seen before—with what seemed like ragged windmill blades slowly turning on its rear. For what good it did them, considering the sky remained in a constant state of twilight, it was currently late in the afternoon. Even from here they could hear the rhythmic clunking of what must be its internal mechanisms at work, somehow matching the rhythm of the town's ambient melody. Everything about this place was incredibly calming; an effect that was sadly lost on the sisters, who were too busy being fugitives on a mission to save the world to stop and smell the smokeweed.

“Did you get a bad feeling from that guy?” Luna asked, now that they were at a sufficient distance from the terrans. “I hope Sweet Blossom will be alright.”

“She was looking forward to seeing him, so I'm she'll be just fine. Doesn't mean I trust him for a second, though.”

“You don't trust anypony.”

“So far we've been turned to stone, foalnapped, held at spear-point, and forced to babysit an adult, and that's after being locked inside our whole lives! Give me one reason why I should trust anypony.”

“That's true,” Luna lamented, before muttering “Sweet Blossom was hardly traumatic, though.

“But that guy,” Celestia continued, grimacing. “There's something going on with him, and I don't like it.”

Luna sighed, slowly shaking her head. “I don't like it, but I think you are right about getting out of here quickly... I didn't think much of it at first, but now, thinking about those ponies Summer Twinkle mentioned had become loyal to Discord, I-”

“Wait, she what?” The elder sister barked, pulling away in shock. “And you're only just telling me?!”

“You were there! Not my fault you weren't listening!” Luna pouted. “So you're this distrustful without knowing that?”

“Not anymore.” She gritted her teeth, eyes paranoically darting around. “Ponies are actively looking for us? How could you not tell me?!”

“Well I don't know about that. Discord doesn't necessarily know we're out of the statues... Right?”

“We don't know that. We don't know anything about him, apparently, given how easily he beat us.” Celestia glared at the boards below, cursing her own weakness. “The last thing we need is worse odds,” she mumbled.

“Anyway, that's why I agree we should get out of here as soon as possible. As nice as a warm bath and soft sheets would be, the fewer ponies that see us, the better. I'm in no rush to be petrified again, and these ponies don't seem the safest sort.”

Celestia scoffed. “Didn't think I'd hear that from you.”

“What's that supposed to mean? You think I liked being a statue?”

“No, you've been all over everypony we've met since the temple. If it weren't for me, you never would have left that trading post.”

“That is not true. And if I hadn't trusted Pink Pearl, you never would have learned about Starswirl or the Pillars!”

The elder sister huffed, unwilling to admit fault. Both fell into silence as their minds drifted back to bittersweet memories of their mentor and the sombre mission they had found themselves on.



As the Princesses continued past the various shops, houses, stalls, and passing groups of swamp-folk making merry, the third turning on the left finally arrived, appearing to lead to the opposite bank of the bayou in much the same way as the path they had entered on. With one last glance at the old clock tower, and a tentative look back towards the saloon by Luna, the sisters turned down the branching boardwalk and made their way to the other end without incident. Sure enough, after a small decline to the northern bank, there appeared to be a path marked by haphazardly laid planks, now covered in moss and partly obscured by mud. The remains of what might have once been a manicured garden—now left untended for years—flanked the path as it twisted a short way past two smaller trees and directly into a much larger one, standing proud in the swamp forest clearing.

“Is this the tree he was talking about?” Luna asked, observing the overgrown and thoroughly run-down plot. It seemed unlikely that anypony would choose to live out here, given the cosy village a mere stone's throw away, she thought.

Like most of the trees around the bayou, the especially imposing one before them had the wide and woody roots of a bald cypress, though the size of this alleged house suggested that three or more trees had grown together into a single, twisted colossus—quite an impressive specimen indeed. It was starting to seem more likely that the pony they were looking for lived within the tree, rather than on one of its branches; an observation that was backed up by the heavyset door at the end of the path, nestled within the thick tree roots.

“Seems like it,” Celestia answered, though her confident tone belied her own apprehension. After all, who was to say that Rootin' Tootin' had been telling the truth?

The Princesses looked at each other and swallowed, tentatively making their way closer to the door before the braver of the two took the final steps to rap three times on the door. Hollow echoes shook the interior of the large tree, going so far as to dislodge a few dead leaves from the aged canopy. Celestia took a step back, half expecting nothing to happen, and half hoping it wouldn't.

After waiting half a minute, the elder sister turned to suggest a new plan of action just as a bassy 'thunk' came from behind the door and it slowly swung inward with a deep, melancholic creak. The two hesitantly leaned in, unable to make sense of anything within the gloomy interior, rendered pitch black by covered windows and thick swirls of escaping dust. As they stared in, an aged face suddenly appeared from the shadows, barely lit by the external twilight, and causing both sisters to snap to attention. A lilac-hued mare stood in the threshold, eyeing the pegasus and unicorn with weary eyes.

“Oui?”

Celestia found herself lost for words for some reason, drawing a blank as to why they were even there. “Uh...”

“Um, is this, uh-” Luna stammered, forcing herself to make up for her sister's silence. “Is... this the house of Mage Meadowbrook?”

There was a long, heavy pause as the mare sullenly stared at them, her lips tight and eyes sunken. Perhaps this was not an uncommon event for her—tourists bombarding a grieving mother, wanting to grasp at the precious few straws of hope left in this world.

Dust began to seep from the open doorway, staining the swamp's half-light with its turbulent speckles. It had been a long time since she'd left her house, it seemed; or at least since she'd cleaned it. Despite only a few seconds passing, the uncomfortable silence made the sisters wonder if she was ever going to reply.

“There is no mage here, outsiders. Ma fille is gone. Pour toujours.”

“Are- Are you-?” Celestia fumbled, panicked that they had somehow mistakenly stumbled upon a witches lair, in an abrupt regression to her fantastical childhood imagination.

The old mare sighed, seeming equally frustrated and desperate to have company as she took a step further into the light. “Je m'appelle Meadow Flower, Meadowbrook's vieille mère.”

The sisters shared a glance, unfamiliar with the regional dialect she was dipping into, but choosing not to make things even more awkward by questioning it.

“What brings you to ma maison?”

“I'm so, so sorry to come to your house like this,” Luna beseeched, taking a hopeful step past her sister. “But we need your help. We recently learned that our mentor, Starswirl, has- had-

“Starswirl?” The lilac terran turned and spat into the grass beside her door. “Without him, ma babe would still be alive. And you say he taught you?”

Luna pulled back, not expecting such a visceral reaction. “But- Please, we just want to know what happened to him, and the others. We heard you know where the- … where the Pillars...” She looked away, feeling as though she had already ruined their only chance.

“If there's nothing we can do about their loss, we at least want some closure,” Celestia finally chimed in, stepping up to her sister's side. “All we ask for are directions to the Pillars' final resting place, then we'll be out of your mane.”

Meadow Flower stood silent, still measuring her two mysterious guests.

“And just how would two pouliches like yourselves know that stallion? You say he taught you, but you're not near old enough to have even met. The Pillars failed some—” In her eagerness to make her point, she unintentionally upset herself, looking away in sad reflection for a moment. “—near thirty years ago now.”

The sisters’ eyes widened as they slowly turned to one another in cold shock. Thirty years. Thirty years! Had they truly spent three decades—over twice Luna's age—locked in stone as the world turned without them; gone for an entire generation? How had Equestria not been reduced to ash with Discord left unchecked for that long? Nothing was adding up, but who could they turn to for answers now that Starswirl was gone? Not only did they not know anypony else, but now there was no chance that anypony would know them. For the first time in their short lives they felt truly alone. Two unknown ponies in an unfamiliar world.

As choking as these sombre thoughts were, the would-be saviours knew they needed an ally now more than ever, and who better to understand their mission than a pony who had felt that same pang of loss? Sharing the thought, Celestia nodded to her sister, who closed her eyes as a wavy glow emanated from her obfuscated horn, revealing it to the old terran. It took a moment for Meadow Flower to process what she was seeing, completely blind-sided by this revelation.

“T- Toi-!” She blinked a few times, not believing her eyes. “You're an alicorn?! N- Non, this has to be a trick—a ruse!”

“This is no trick, we-” Luna looked to her sister for permission, who gave another nod. “We are princesses, the last royals of Canterlot.”

“Ma bleu!” The old pony raised a trembling hoof to her mouth, as though her entire world had been turned upside-down. Given others’ reactions thus far, hers was far more dramatic than the sisters had expected.

“It is our intention to dethrone Discord and restore order to Equestria, though we have a long journey ahead of us and no mentor to guide us,” Celestia announced with some pageantry, feeling upstaged by Luna’s party trick. “We heard that a book of Starswirl's was left at the resting place of the Pillars, and such a tome may hold clues for what we are to do next.”

There was just enough silence for Celestia to question if she had made a fool of herself before the stunned Meadow Flower responded.

“D’accord,” she nodded, shaking herself out of a stupor before turning back into the dark and musky interior of her tree-house.

Celestia and Luna looked at each other, unsure of what was now happening. Some rustling and the clopping of hooves echoed from within, followed by the sounds of creaking cupboard doors and the clattering of metal and glass. A few minutes of awkward waiting later, Meadow Flower finally re-emerged with a pale-lavender saddlebag slung over her back, wearing a muted-teal dress and matching head scarf. Turning to lock the door with a large iron key, the terran faced the girls with a newfound sense of purpose in her eyes.

“I shall take you there. It is-” She inhaled. “It is what ma fille would have wanted.”

“You’re coming?” Luna asked, taken aback by her sudden change in tone. “You really don’t have to. It’s so far!”

She dismissed the worry with a shake of her head. “It is a journey I am quite familiar with. ‘Sides, I am running low on northern herbs; faire d'une pierre deux coups. Allons-y.”

With a nod toward the village centre, Meadow Flower began towards the boardwalk, leaving the sisters to falter for a moment before catching up. Luna matched the older mare's lead as they reached the sunken wooden planks, still shocked at how rapidly things were progressing.

“We really do appreciate you doing this for us, it's very kind of you,” the dark alicorn enthused as she re-cast the obfuscation spell on her horn. “I don’t know how it’s going to be when we get there, but the thought of seeing Uncle Starswirl’s… This can’t be an easy trip for you, especially when it’s your daughter.”

As Luna looked away, seeming to have upset herself, Meadow Flower looked down at the filly, assessing her initial impression of the alicorn. There was no guarantee that this wasn’t all some elaborate unicorn scam, of course, but something about this young mare seemed so sincere.

“It ain't easy, that's for sure, but it keeps her memory alive in me. Visit a couple of times a year; refresh her flowers, let her know how all's been. This year’s been a rough one, so I ain’t gone the way ‘til now.” Meadow glanced at Luna again, who still seemed to be battling her emotions. “You called Starswirl the Bearded was your mentor and uncle, huh? Must’ve been real close. Surprised he had time for students, travellin' around Equestria with the Pillars like he did, cut short as it was.”

“It's... a long story.”

“Aren't they all. What is your name, Petite Bleue?

“O- Oh! Luna! My name's Luna, sorry for not introducing myself earlier.”

“Ain’t no thing. I have no wish to be rude, but as an alicorn, knowing Starswirl the Bearded as you say you did… Just how old are you?

“Me? I’m twelve.”

“Huh.” Meadow Flower nodded her head, noting that she was as old as she looked. “Long story,” she echoed. “And what do I call you, Grande Blanc?” she asked over her shoulder.

“Celestia,” the white unicorn answered, quickening her step to match their lead. “When the Pillars were around, did you ever get to meet him? Starswirl?”

The lilac pony looked up at the twilight sky, thinking back many years—many sad, bitter years. She remembered a time when ponies slept in darkness and rose to the sun alone; a better time, living with her daughter in South Sea Post. If she could help these two bring back the day and night they had once shared, maybe she could start putting her daughter’s memory to rest. What a strange and ironic twist of fate today had brought her.

“Only met him once, right here in Haysead, back when he took ma fille away. Had I known it would be the last time I'd see her, I might’ve put up more of a fight, not that I could'a stopped her if I'd tried. She was always so braquée when it came to helpin' others, so naturally she jumped at the chance to save the world. It's what I loved about ma chérie the most, and what ended up-” She stopped herself, closing her eyes as she sighed. “We shared so précieuses few years together, between this an' that.”

“I’m so sorry...” Luna bit her cheek as loss weighed heavily on their collective minds. “But- I know that Starswirl would not have put her in harm’s way recklessly. Everything he did was for the greater good, to protect Equestria... no matter the cost…” She trailed off, considering the price they had paid with their childhoods on his decision alone.

'No matter the cost' indeed,” she snapped. “And just what has he protected, Princesse? The sky hangs motionless above, ponies live in fear and squalor under the evil tyrant, and their sacrifice stands only to dissuade others from trying again. Nothin' has changed in this dark world 'cept the loss of ma bèbe’s light.”

“He protected us,” Luna whispered to herself, almost shameful that they had survived when others hadn’t. Without Starswirl, she and her sister would not have survived this long—learnt enough to persevere through the subsequent hardships. He might have thought them lost to Discord’s hand and given in to despair later, but everything he had done up to that point had paved the way for their future; for the future of Equestria. She had to believe in him, just like he had believed in her.

“All the Pillars did was get ponies' hopes up,” the old mare continued, having clearly stewed for years in her intense bitterness toward the wizard. “One last spark from sinkin’ tinder. We lost more than we gained from their failure; we lost hope. And just like the hubris that caused this whole nightmare to begin with, they rotted from the inside out. Discord didn’t even need to lift a finger.”

As Luna’s mind swam, Celestia remained silently attentive, absorbing every morsel of information the mare was unwittingly sharing.

“What hubris?” she asked, sensing a story beyond what they had learned so far.

“Power, ma chère; greed for what we do not have. Just as Canterlot fell under its rotten king, so too did the Pillars destroy themselves from the inside-out—at least that’s the story. We don’t know the real reason, ‘course, but the six markers for seven ponies paints a picture, don’t it? Never did hear about that other pony again, whatever ‘is name was.”

The white unicorn couldn’t help but brush aside the more relevant story for what hit far closer to home than she was expecting.

“What- What did the King do?”

Meadow Flower raised her eyebrows, at first shocked that anypony would have to ask, before turning her head to the princess and remembering who she was talking to.

“O- Oh! Apologies, I forgot- Uh- Me an’ my big mouth, getting swept up in the past. I didn’t mean-”

“It’s fine, just- Just tell me what you meant.”

The Princess’ stern eyes were locked on the terran’s, who looked away uncomfortably and began to fidget with the neckline of her dress. The boardwalk’s slats groaned under the trio’s combined weight as they steadily made their way toward the town’s wooden spine, too preoccupied this time to take in their semi-familiar surroundings.

“Again, it’s all hear-say, vous savez comment c'est. Survivors from the palace apparently told of chaos spreading from the throne room, leadin’ ponies to believin’ the King made a deal with Discord, gone awry.”

The sisters’ eyes widened. Starswirl had told them stories of their father; a good-hearted stallion who put Equestria’s needs before his own until childbirth took their mother and Discord claimed him. But what if there was more to the story? Discord had travelled to their world through a magic mirror, but why then? Had he been summoned?

“’Course, nopony really knows what went on in the palace, between the traumatised survivors and guards still fighting, most I know are rumours; hear-say around town.” She sighed, shaking her head. “Who’s to say who really is in the wrong, but these stories always seem to come back to wanting more than you got. I never knew the King, never met him, so it’s not my place to talk him down. For that, I apologise.”

Celestia shook off the apology, having barely known him herself, though something about that story struck her deep, in a way that she couldn’t currently explain. Luna was still struggling with the possibility that she had been lied to by her mentor. Everything she knew of her past—everything that made her present—had been taught to her by Starswirl, so if he had lied about anything… what did that make her? She might have doubted her own claim to the throne if it weren’t for the wings on her back and her sister to the right of Meadow Flower. He couldn’t have lied about anything serious, surely?









The trio of ponies rounded the inner corner of the north shore boardwalk and continued down the bayou's length, this time away from the looming clocktower behind them. It wasn't long before the bustling saloon was back in sight, and with it, an unexpectedly familiar face sitting almost exactly where it had last been seen. Confused and concerned, Luna galloped ahead of the party to gently approach the lonesome pony.

“Sweet Blossom, you're still here? I thought you were leaving with your uncle.”

The pale mare looked up slowly, her back uncharacteristically hunched and pitiful.

“Oh, yer back already? Well, Ah was plannin' to,” she sighed, “but Uncle Rootin' said he had somethin' important 'a do and Ah'd be bored if Ah went with ‘im. Told me to wait for ‘im at the bar, but Ah ain’t goin’ in there, the smell makes mah nose burn, so Ah figured Ah’s just sit put an' wait for 'im here.”

“Oh.”

Luna looked around, hoping to see Rootin' Tootin' already on his way back to the abandoned mare, but was met only by the leers of drunken strangers. Despite the age difference between the two, the young princess' upbringing of expectations and responsibility had managed to prepare her for the world far better than this mare’s, leaving her ironically protective of this naive and trusting twenty-something.

By this point the two stragglers had caught up to the sorry scene and came to a stop beside them.

“What's going on?” Celestia asked, quietly concerned behind her mask of aloofness.

“Apparently her uncle went to do something without her, so she's waiting here,” Luna repeated, before approaching her sister with a hushed voice. “I don't think we should leave her here alone, it doesn't feel right.”

Celestia grunted in agreement, glancing at the rowdy patrons of the nearby establishment before answering in an equally hushed tone. “Nothing about this place feels right. Do you think he's actually coming back?”

“I don't know.” She sighed, once more peering down the various branching passageways that stemmed from this junction. “Earlier, did it seem to you like he was more interested in us than he was her? I thought maybe he was just being polite, but now this... Even if he does come back, I'm not sure I trust him to keep her safe in a place like this anymore.”

“You’ve really changed your tune since we arrived, huh?” The elder sister smiled wryly, though unsure why this tickled her so.

“No thanks to you, putting me on edge,” she grumbled, unhappy at her own suspicion. “I just- We can't leave her alone like this.”

Celestia nodded, scanning the area once more before addressing the dejected mare. “Did you want to visit the Pillars site, Sweet Blossom?”

“Huh?” She looked back at the small gathering behind her, not accustomed to Celestia addressing her directly. “Well, uh, Ah guess Ah could... Ah should tell Uncle Rootin' if Ah'm goin’ anywhere without ‘im, though.”

“He's a smart guy, he'll figure it out.”

Sweet Blossom hummed in thought, looking back down the path he had left by. He hadn’t said how long he’d be, but if it was long enough for her to get bored going with him, then who knows how long she could be waiting for him here. She sighed, picking herself up and brushing the dirt off her legs.

“Ah guess so. Would’ve been nice to spend some quality time together, but havin’ a story of mah own to tell him is pretty temptin’ too.” She turned to face the sisters, now realising that the lavender pony seemed to be with them. “Oh! And who's this? Nice to meetcha'! Name's Sweet Blossom,” she beamed, snapping right back to her typically cheery disposition while extending a hoof to the newcomer.

“Meadow Flower, ma chère. Enchantée,” the mare responded, her voice dry and disconnected, though still engaging with the motion of the hoofshake. Despite both being terran mares, these two could not be more opposite it seemed.

“So are you here lookin’ for Mage Meadowbrook's mother too? Ah had no idea y'all was puttin' together a search party!”

“Actually, non. I am she,” she stated matter-of-factly, though the twitch of her eye at the mention of her daughter was not unnoticed by Luna.

Sweet's jaw dropped at the realisation that the pony in front of her—whose hoof she had just shook, no less—was something of a celebrity, or at least celebrity-adjacent.

“M- M- Miss Meadow Flower, was it? A- Ah'm so sorry! Ah've heard all sorts'a stories 'bout the Pillars, but they never mentioned you by name.”

“Ça fait rien. I would much rather stay unknown. Besides, I myself have done nothing worthy of note.”

“Nothin' worthy-?! But you're the mother of the Mage Meadowbrook! Ah'd say that's plenty worth notin’!”

The sisters winced, having already come to appreciate the tenderness of this subject, which Sweet was not yet privy to. Meadow Flower closed her eyes with a slow, deep breath, appearing to think for a moment behind furrowed brows before exhaling, relaxing her frown.

“Oui, you are right, of that I am proud. Of all the things in my life, that is the one thing I do not regret.”

The Princesses shared a glance, surprised by this bittersweet turn. Perhaps Sweet Blossom’s earnestness was something she still had over their seeming lack of pony skills.

“Quoi qu’il en soit,” she continued. “Given that y’all seem to know one another, and seeing as how your previous plans have fallen though, do you intend to join us on this little pilgrimage, Sweet Blossom?”

“And miss out on spendin' time with the real-life mother of a bonafide hero?! You bet your back teeth Ah'll come!”

As Sweet clapped her hooves and bounced excitedly, Celestia pouted, silently bitter at how her own royal invitation had been completely upstaged by this old nopony.

“Bon. Then let us buy some supplies before we start our journey. As I am sure you are aware, it is a long walk to Greater Canterlot.”

Luna nodded, “Lead the way!”

The lavender terran turned and began down the southern boardwalk as Sweet picked up her saddlebag and utensils, heading towards the bank-side trading post the trio had noted on their way in. Luna and Sweet Blossom happily trotted after their new guide together as Celestia begrudgingly followed up the rear.



Arriving at the small wooden shack, the group of four barely managed to all squeeze inside the small customer service area, tended to by a thoroughly disinterested pony sitting comfortably behind the counter.Realising that not one of the original three had a crown among them, the trio could only blush as their newest addition was forced to pull out a small purse of coins to pay for their supplies—nothing fancy, just a few vegetables, emergency hay rations, and eight waterskins; two each to be slung over their backs. Given Rootin' Tootin's alleged business here as a trader, Sweet Blossom also decided to leave a message with the attendant about her change of plans, hoping he would visit before returning to Fort Macintosh.

After an awkward shuffle to pack their goods and turn in the cramped space, the quartet eventually exited and regrouped in the familiar clearing just outside town to discuss the details of their journey. Despite the precious little time they had spent together, Sweet had already managed to divulge the entirety of her admittedly short life-story to the much older mare—perhaps seeing in her some familiarity of her own grandmother—who had patiently listened to every word, not that she had much say in the matter.

“You made a sound choice coming to Haysead Swamp first,” Meadow Flower began once they had congregated, etching a simple map into the mud with the tip of her hoof. “Traders between Canterlot and Klugetown have little choice but to cut through San Palomino Desert, but being this far east lets us travel up north by treeline. It is by no means an easy journey, but nothing like traversing the sands, especially if lackin’ the sense to bring drinkin’ water.”

Luna and Sweet fidgeted in embarrassment at their obvious oversight.

“Good, I've had enough desert for one lifetime,” Celestia hissed, silently seconded by her sister.

“The directions are simple enough; we head west until we see sand, then follow the trees north. In a couple of days we’ll reach a river and follow that west again, straight into Silent Pines. Things get a little trickier from there if you want to find the henge. Forests are like a maze at the best of times, but that place… There’s something especially drôle about that forest, like a dark force be pressin’ ya’ to s'égarer.”

The group shared looks over this hitherto unmentioned haunted forest, but ultimately confirmed their readiness with silent nods. Each traveller adjusted their saddlebags for comfort, along with their new—generously paid for—waterskins, which were essentially dried pitcher plants, as was the local technique. Despite not stopping to rest since arriving, the three travellers remained eager to press on, spurred on by equal parts necessity and wanderlust. The grim reality of this journey was not lost on the sisters, but having grown up in isolation their entire lives—a trait shared with Sweet Blossom to a degree—the simple act of visiting new parts of this vast and mysterious world was undeniably tantalising to them.

“Well then, without further ado,” Meadow concluded, once more taking the lead as she began down the westward path along the bayou, away from the waterlogged village and all its tainted memories.



The four ponies began their trek back through the underbrush in relative silence, placing their hooves with more experienced discretion, while holding back the occasional fern frond that hung at head height. Being in the presence of one so familiar with this ecosystem somehow made it feel that little bit less threatening; shadows in the bayou were no longer crocodiles ready to pounce, but perhaps just large fish, and the muddy paths were no longer treacherous traps, but proof that this well-trodden route was safe for them too.

They could not have been walking for more than ten or fifteen minutes before a frantic voice called out from behind them, accompanied by the frenzied snapping of stalks and rustling of foliage as it approached.

“H-Hold up! Wait! Wait, Ah say!”

Uncle Tootin'?

Sweet Blossom's eyes lit up as she heard the voice, spinning around to see the brown terran scrambling towards them against the swampland flora. The group came to a halt despite the sisters’ scowls, allowing him a moment to catch up and double-over, gasping to regain his breath.

“What’s wrong? Why the hurry? Didn’t ya get mah message?” Sweet asked with concern, leaning forward to offer a hoof.

“Di- Didn't-” he panted, pausing to collect himself. “Didn't Ah tell you to wait for me, sweet-pea?”

“Ah'm sorry, Uncle, Ah didn't mean to cause no panic. It's just-” She retracted her hoof once it was clear he would not accept it. “Ya didn't say how long you were gonna be, and when mah friends came back quicker than expected, along with Ms. Meadow Flower to boot... Ah didn't mean t’ give you a scare.”

Rootin' Tootin' straightened up having now caught his breath, making sure to readjust his crooked hat and waistcoat—clearly his appearance was quite important to him.

“It's fine, mah dear, not to worry. Just your ol' uncle frettin’ for his kin, s’all. Now, do tell, where was you and your esteemed friends headin’ off to so soon after arrivin’? Feels a mite rude visitin’ a town and not stayin’ the night, at least in this pony's humble opinion.”

Celestia noted that Rootin' seemed not to have visited the trading post on his way out of town, making his desperate attempt to find them all the more suspicious, given how callously he had already abandoned Sweet Blossom. As if only now noticing the rest of the group, the moustachioed terran tipped his hat in quiet greeting, garnering little favour in return.

“I don't think-” Celestia began to object.

“Ms. Meadow Flower is takin' us to the restin' place of the Pillars!” she beamed, before coyly kicking at the dirt. “Ah got so excited thinkin’ ‘bout goin’ on an adventure of mah own, Ah didn’t think ‘bout the hurt it might cause you. Ah ain’t been this far from home before, and the thought of goin’ even further, seein’ a famous place like that with mah own eyes… Ain’t no way Ah’ll be in any danger, travellin’ with two princesses and a mage’s mother!”

The stallion chuckled while pulling at his moustache, though a serious glint remained in his eye. “Well now, ain't that just grand? A real life adventure indeed! Why, Ah'm almost jealous of being left outta such an… ambitious escapade.” He removed his flat-topped hat and slicked back his mane, seeming to take a moment to think on this revelation. “Must admit, it's been many a moon since Ah last visited that site. Might be high time Ah too gave mah regards to our inauspicious 'heroes of yore'.

“So, yer not mad Ah wanna go?”

“Quite on the contrary, mah little pony! Indeed, Ah would be grateful if y’all would have me along for the ride.”

“You wanna come too?!” Sweet Blossom could barely contain her joy, squealing as she bounced and clapped her hooves. For her, this was the best possible outcome.

If yer fine fellows are amenable to the idea.”

Sweet spun around to face the group, beaming and nodding her head persuasively. Celestia and Luna looked at each other with great trepidation. Every unpredictable element added to their journey was a risk, let alone one so clearly untrustworthy, but by what justification could they deny this pony the company of her uncle? He had technically done nothing wrong so far, besides disappointing his niece, and he appeared to be making up for that right now. The elder sister wondered which would be the more callous choice, between bluntly denying the stallion in front of Sweet Blossom, or asking both to return to Macintosh Pass and be done with the liabilities altogether.

“You appear to have little in the way of supplies with you, Monsieur, and we wish to make good time while we have the energy,” Meadow Flower replied from the back of the pack, reading the energy of the situation.

“Ah think you’ll find Ah’m quite the thrifty traveller, mah dear. Comes from all the years of long-distance tradin', y’see. Ah’ll be little more than hoofsteps and fine company, Ah can promise you that. Besides, if Ah leave now, who will escort dear Sweet Blossom all the way back to Old Macintosh? Ah feel mah arrival is in fact quite fortuitous, n'est-ce pas?”

He raised a smug eyebrow to the Haysead local, who was unable to refute his arguments. Between the stallion's insistence, Sweet's enthusiasm, and Luna’s aversion to upsetting their friend, there didn't seem to be a clean way to avoid this undesirable situation. Celestia sighed in defeat as the other doubtfuls shared a look, frustrated to bend once more to the carefree whims of this innocently troublesome companion.

“Alright, fine, but you look after yourself, okay?” the unicorn reluctantly grunted, much to the pale mare’s excitement.

Splendid! Splendid. Then it surely is mah pleasure to join in on your little sojourn.” He bowed, raising his leg to his chest.

Sweet Blossom clapped enthusiastically as the remainder of the group turned to resume their journey along the bayou, hoping that this decision—much like the alligators of this swamp—would not come back to bite them.

Author's Note:

1st Edition - October 16th, 2021 - (Released Part 1) (4,721 words)
1st Edition - January 3rd, 2022 - (Released Part 2) (6,093 words)
1.1 Edit - January 5th, 2022 - (Part 2: Improved French thanks to Raphaëlle) (6,096 words)
2nd Edition - January 2nd, 2023 – (Combined Parts) (10,831 words)