• Published 21st Nov 2017
  • 416 Views, 8 Comments

The F-Team - Silver-Spirits-and-Ales

  • ...
 8
 416

Raison d'être

Manehattan, Eastern Equestria.

As it did every night, the sun was setting on the big city. The ponies of Manehattan were all doing their thing, going home from work in these yellow taxi coaches, which seemed to be the only things to roam the streets at that time of day.

From his vantage point, Silver Spirit could see all of the ponies. He was so far above them that he couldn't see their faces. But he didn't need to. The ponies of Manehattan were always all the same. Fedoras for the stallions, bonnets for the mares, and all of them were either making faces that showed an anger so hot you could iron your gown with them, or wearing a smile so fake and unnatural that even the plays at one of the Bridleway theaters would seem realistic in comparison.

That was what disgusted Silver Spirit from the world. As evidenced by the different marks that decorated their flanks, every pony in Equestria was different. But they all seemed to be trying to mask that difference, by all dressing and behaving in a similar fashion. There were some exceptions to this flock of eternally similar ponies. This time, on the corner of the road, a cream-coated unicorn stallion was playing the trumpet. His horn was sticking out from under his flat cap, and the cutie mark that ornated his flank depicted a trumpet.

On the other side of the road, a pegasus papercolt was selling newspapers, hovering over the crowd and hollering the name of the periodical: "The Manehattan Times".

Silver Spirit smiled weakly as he saw the foal. It reminded him of all the odd-jobs that he had practiced throughout his life. In his early years, he had been a papercolt, just like the one at the corner of the road. From there onwards, he had gone through several others, never too far from a certain form of writing: bookseller, assistant librarian, and finally the personal typist of a renown journalist.

Silver feebly turned his head around, and looked at his cutie mark: a white quill, and an open blank book. He liked books; they had often brought him solace, throughout his life. Either reading them, or trying to write them, books seemed to be his raison d'être.

So there he was. Sitting at the edge of that ten-floor building. His usually silver fur had given way to a dull gray, and the white sclera around his turquoise Iris was now red, from a great deal of insomnia and crying. The blond mane atop his head had lost its shine, and it had become unkempt, greasy.

Suddenly, the stallion got up, and went back inside.

He wouldn't do it tonight.

Silver Spirit went down one floor, and went down the hall to his apartment, at the very end of the corridor. The least expensive one. And, of course, the smallest. He pushed the door open with his right hoof, and entered. On the coat hook, next to the door, rested his work attire: a generic fedora and an even more generic suit.

The apartment consisted of three rooms: a bedroom, through the door nearest to the entrance; a living room stood behind the second door; and of course, a toilet, at the end of the corridor.

Silver Spirit didn't feel like doing anything. He never did. he just went to his room, lay down on the bed, and looked up at the ceiling, listening to the ticking of his bedside alarm clock.

He didn't know how long he stayed there. It could have been minutes. Maybe hours.

Suddenly deciding that he'd better do something, he got up, went into the hall, and made his way to the living room. A stove stood against the left-hand wall, while, four feet away, a desk with a typewriter on it was placed perpendicularly to the window.

The sun was down, so Silver turned the light on. He went over to his desk, sat down on the cushion, and started typing on a blank sheet of paper, which had been sitting there for a long time. He typed a single line on it.

"Nopony like me..."

And then he stopped. He considered the three words for a moment, shook his head, ripped the paper from the machine, and tossed it into the waste paper basket. And after just a few minutes, the basket was already full to the brim. He poured himself a glass of cheap cider, and drank it down in one gulp.

When the waste basket was finally submerged by a mass of paper about twice its size, and all of Silver's Bit-Store cider bottles were empty, the pony decided to go to bed. He drunkenly made his way to his room, and slumped down onto his bed, where he lay on his side, and tried to fall asleep.

Silver Spirit couldn't remember the last time he'd actually had a good night's sleep. And that night was no exception.
He looked at his alarm clock. It was already two o'clock. He gave out a huge sigh, and reminisced about his past.

Silver remembered the day he'd gotten his cutie mark.
It had been shortly after his sixth birthday (for which he'd received his cherished typewriter), when he'd announced his desire to his parents.

"I wanna be a writer," he'd said to mister and missus Spirit.

And just like that, with a flash of white light, the quill and the blank book had appeared on his flank. His parents had never really forgiven him. Silver had never apologized either. Wasn't everypony supposed to be the master of their own destiny, after all?

Wasn't he?

Maybe he was. Maybe he wasn't. It didn't matter to him, anymore. He knew how he would end. He knew where. The only thing left to know was when.

Serene Quill's office, the following morning.

"Silver," Serene Quill said, as she cantered into the room, waking Silver up from his trance. A stack of paper was levitating in front of her, with a bright blue aura around it, just like the one that shrouded her horn.

"Yes?" Silver retorted, unemotionally.

"I've got work for you." The Journalist dumped the paper onto her typist's desk, next to his hat.

"Okay," Silver answered, picking up a blank sheet and executing the usual rigmarole of inserting it between the roller and the paper table; turning the roller knob anti-clockwise, and finally setting the carriage, before being able to type. As he reached out his hoof to get the first manuscript of the pile, Serene interrupted him.

"Silver?" she asked.

"Is there a problem?" the stallion answered, looking up.

"Dexter Hoof called in sick, a few minutes ago. Would it be too much to ask you to work overtime?"

"Whatever." Silver simply got the hand-written manuscript, and placed it in front of him.

The stallion started typing away, regularly re-setting the typewriter's carriage every time he heard the 'ding'.

"I knew I could count on you, Silver," the mare said, smiling at him before leaving the room. Out of the corner of his eye, Silver caught a glimpse of Serene's pale pink rump, before she left the office entirely.

He simply typed away, trying not to fall asleep on his typewriter.

After about three minutes, he had finished typing the first page. After ten, he'd finished the first article. Sixty minutes later, he'd typed five of them, and so on... Every page seemed to take longer and longer to type. And with every page, every letter, even, his hooves became number and number.

The sun was finally down when the final messily-written page had been typed.

Tired, lonely, hooves hurting worse than ever, Silver Spirit got up from behind his desk, put his hat on, turned off his desk lamp, and left the office, locking the door and placing the key in his saddlebag.

Silver walked out into the street, and felt the cool night breeze caress his face, liberating him from the stuffy and lukewarm air of the building. He walked home, stopping by at a liquor store to pick up half a dozen bottles of mature cider, which together cost about as much as an entire day of work.

Once home, he turned the light on in the living room, and sat down at his desk, just like he had done, the night before. He looked at the pile of paper that covered the bin, and decided he'd better not try, tonight. Instead, he decided to look at his old works, which were all neatly placed in a cardboard box, next to his desk.

There was the collection of crime novellas he longed to publish: "Manehattan Noir". Seeing the blue cover brought a smile to his lips. But all of the editors he'd reached out to had refused it. So much so that Silver felt there was something fundamentally wrong with it himself.

His smile slowly transformed into the sunken-eyed, soulless face he usually made.
He threw the heavy five hundred page novel against the wall, in frustration. Then, to calm his nerves, he uncorked a bottle of cider, and took a huge swig. Deciding it would be best not to turn up at work hungover like he had done that morning, he went to bed in a huff, angry at the world and at himself.