• Published 27th Jan 2018
  • 1,190 Views, 31 Comments

Six Brides For Six Brothers - Midnight Song18



Six brothers Discord, Fancy Pants, Spike, Soarin, Cheese Sandwich, and Flash Sentry are to be married under royal law. Uninterested in the suitors that come to call, they meet six best friends at the Royal Ball who captivate their interests.

  • ...
16
 31
 1,190

Chapter 2: The Royal Dinner

King Sombra, Queen Celestia, and her sons stood in the throne room, awaiting the arrival of their Aunt Luna and her daughters.

Celestia turned to her sons with a reminder. "Now, I want all of you to be on your best behavior. Aunt Luna and her girls have had a hard week."

Discord snapped his fingers, making a golden angel halo appear just above his head. "When have I ever been bad?" he asked with a smirk.

The rest of his family just raised their eyebrows at him. They knew Discord perfectly well and he always found a way to cause mischief.

Discord sighed. "But this time, I'll be even better." He snapped his fingers and the golden halo vanished.

The doors to the throne room swung open as a few royal guards from the Lunar Kingdom presented three ponies to the royal Canterlot family. The tallest was Princess Luna. She had a dark blue coat, an astral mane that looked like the night sky, and a tail that matched. She had striking, icy blue eyes and a cutie mark of a waning crescent moon. Her two daughters followed her. One of them trotted along awkwardly and the other one held her head high and pridefully as if her title was something to be proud of.

"We are here, everypony!" Luna declared.

Celestia smiled. "It is great to see you again, dear sister!"

Celestia cantered over to her younger sister to embrace her. The two sisters looked overjoyed. They hadn't seen each other in what seemed like ages.

After the embrace was finished, Luna looked over to see King Sombra smirking playfully at the two from his throne.

"Hello, Sombra," Luna said. "Great to see you again."

"Hello, Luna," Sombra returned. "It's great to see you too."

Sombra and Luna embraced before Cheese Sandwich lit up.

"Aunt Luna! You're here!" Cheese Sandwich exclaimed. "I wasn't able to throw a welcome party, but I'm still happy to see you!"

"Thank you, Cheese Sandwich," Luna said with a giggle. "I find it great how you're always thinking of the happiness of your subjects. That is very important."

One of Luna's daughters smirked at Cheese Sandwich playfully. "So, now that you've welcome our mother, where's our welcome?"

"Oh, that was directed towards all of you, not just Aunt Luna!" Cheese Sandwich claimed. "It's always great to see our favorite cousins again!"

"You mean, your only cousins," Luna's other daughter proclaimed.

"Trixie, it's really all the same," Soarin told her in annoyance. "Welcome back!"

"Why, thank you, Soarin!" Trixie replied. "It's so sweet that you're always thinking of ways to make me happy!"

"Actually, I'm not---"

Trixie cut Soarin off. "Shh, I already know, Soarin. The Great and Powerful Trixie has returned to Canterlot Castle and she's ready to spend the week with her family!"

Trixie's sister turned to her. "Trixie, you might want to take it down a notch. This is a formal dinner and Mother did say she wanted us to make a good impression on not just our aunt and uncle, but our cousins as well," she reminded her.

"And what makes you think your younger sister can't handle it?" Trixie asked. "She's only The Great and Powerful Trixie!"

Trixie's sister rolled her eyes. "Right." She sighed. "Sorry, boys. It's great to see all of you again. It really is. We're so thrilled to be here."

"We're happy to hear that, Starlight," Flash Sentry said. "Are you getting forced into an arranged marriage anytime soon?"

Starlight Glimmer shook her head. "No. Not yet. But once both Trixie and I come of age, we will. We're cherishing our last moments of freedom."

Flash Sentry nodded in agreement. "We never knew how much we cherished those moments until now."

"Everypony, let's sit down for dinner!" Celestia urged. "The royal chefs have prepared a wonderful meal!"

"Oh, goody!" Cheese Sandwich exclaimed. "What did they make tonight?!"

Everypony took their spot at the table as the three main royal chefs, Gustave Le Grand, Sugar Belle, and Golden Harvest, entered the room with silver trays. Gustave Le Grand was the head chef and he was always sure that every meal was done correctly. Without him, the courses would sometimes be incorrectly done. Sugar Belle was the assistant head chef. However, she was only comfortable with trying to be in charge when Gustave wasn't around. Golden Harvest seemed to be the favorable chef. Everypony loved it when she pitched in with the meals.

"Dinner is served!" Gustave announced. He spoke with a light Prench accent. "It is ze finest meal in all of Equestria!"

The three chefs set the table and put the main courses down in the middle for the royal family to enjoy. When the covers for the silver platters were lifted, all of the dishes were revealed. Caprese pasta salad was the main course, mashed potatoes were the side dish, and baked alaska was the dessert. The royal family's mouths began to water and their eyes widened. Their hunger seemed to increase just by viewing their meal.

"Thank you so much!" Celestia told them. "It all looks delicious."

"Of course, Your Majesty," Sugar Belle replied. "We always have to try our best when it comes to a royal dinner. Especially when a visiting kingdom is involved."

"Sugar Belle here is responsible for the baked alaska," Golden Harvest claimed. "She's the best with sweet treats."

"Aw, thank you, Golden Harvest," Sugar Belle said. "And your cooked carrots look amazing!"

"Thank you so much!" Golden Harvest exclaimed with delight. "I had to make sure I got it just right!"

"All ze royal chefs!" Gustave bellowed. "We need to leave ze royal family to eat in peace! Come back to ze kitchens to clean up ze mess!"

Sugar Belle sighed. "Okay, Gustave."

"Sometimes, I wish our head chef wouldn't be so bossy," Golden Harvest uttered.

"Aw, come on, Golden," Sugar Belle told her. "You know Gustave just wants to make sure the meals are perfect."

Golden Harvest giggled. "That may be true."

"Have a good meal, Your Majesties!" Sugar Belle exclaimed.

The royal chefs bowed in respect before exiting the dining room.

Celestia turned to her sons after they had eaten for awhile. "Now, boys, we must discuss something since we didn't have a chance to when we made the announcement."

"Ugh, what else is gonna make our lives miserable?" Soarin groaned.

"Soarin Skies, listen to your mother," Sombra chided.

"Fine," Soarin mumbled.

"There is going to be a royal ball at the end of this week!" Celestia declared. "Luna, Starlight Glimmer, and Trixie will be participating in the festivities, but only for the fun of it. The whole land of Equestria is invited to the ball and will be able to come, but they must be old enough to attend. There are also royals coming from across the sea. At this royal ball, you will each choose the mare you are to wed. Remember---"

"The mare you choose must be of high royal status," her sons replied, dryly.

"Very good," Celestia said. "All I ask of you is to be yourselves."

"Now, that is advice I can take," Spike claimed.

"I'm glad," Celestia said.

"We are excited for the royal ball!" Luna exclaimed. "We are to help with the preparations. We'll do everything we can to make the ball perfect. After all, my favorite nephews are choosing their future wives. I'm going to make sure no nephew of mine has to marry a pompous regent or a snooty princess."

Luna winked playfully as the princes chuckled. They knew she meant well.

"Favorite nephews?" Spike asked. He pretended that he had a long, flowing mane and tossed it behind his shoulders as if to imitate Trixie's behavior. He spoke in a nasally voice. "You mean your only nephews."

Everypony guffawed, except for Trixie who just cast a dirty glance at Spike. The boys relished one of the last feelings of joy that they would feel before the royal ball arrived.