• Published 2nd Nov 2017
  • 2,376 Views, 30 Comments

The Storm Passes - DiscoGuy



Following the Storm Kings invasion, Tempest Shadow is left to learn about friendship and the world she left behind, from her first true friend Twilight Sparkle. Holding to this new, dear friend, Tempest feels her and Twilight's bond growing every day

  • ...
2
 30
 2,376

Ch. 1: An Unpleasant Matter

Lit by the still-bright light of the late afternoon, a grand marble hall, sheltered near the rear of Canterlot Castle, served as host to a gathering of a few dozen ponies, several milling about uncomfortably. Making up numerous colorful blots on the pure white marble of the grand hall, the ponies gathered represented some of the most influential, powerful, and important beings in the whole of Equestria. Among the crowd’s number could be counted several high ranking members of the Royal Guard, a few significant nobles, several regular guardsponies, a few important members of the Royal Household, the dual Princesses of the Sun and the Moon, and the Elements of Harmony themselves. Against the rear wall of the grand hall were four towering thrones, one clearly newer than the rest, and two of them seemingly ancient.

Despite the serene orange beams of sunlight which penetrated the small crowd, the room held an air of unshakeable tension. The matter which had led to the summoning of so many important figures to this one hall, was well known among the assembly. In the aftermath of the Storm King’s invasion of Canterlot, the abduction of the Princesses, and the eventual defeat of the invaders, few-if-any ponies had been able to fully return to a sense of calm, which only further fueled the tense air which flooded the room.

If those gathered in the imposing marble hall were to be considered the very most powerful beings in Equestria, several outliers were notable by their absence. A particularly infamous draconequus was understood to be unlikely to attend such a gathering, even if invited, due to the serious nature of such matters. Further, the ruling couple of the Crystal Empire were not to be seen among the assembly, having swiftly returned to their land following the defeat of the Storm King. While the presence of any Princess would typically be expected at such a weighty event as was to transpire, no pony begrudged Princess Cadence her rapid return home; The citizenship of the Crystal Empire had received the shock of discovering, second-hoof, that their Princess had been abducted, and then had been made to fear the same army which had invaded Canterlot, may soon launch an attack on their temporarily leaderless land. Calming their panicked populace was an immediate concern for Princess Cadence and Shining Armor, and remaining behind for the present gathering was simply infeasible.

Piercing the veil of unpleasant quiet which blanketed the room, Princess Celestia spoke. In a tone not quite equal to the Royal Canterlot Voice, but notably more regal and commanding than her typical even-tempered speech, she announced,

Gathered ponies, you have my thanks for responding to my summons. As you surely realize, summons to this hindmost hall are not made lightly. A matter concerning Equestria’s highest authority, its Princesses, has arisen. There are no subjects of the Crown who wield the authority to pass judgement on such a significant affair, and so we three Princesses sit here, to bear the authority of the Crown itself, in presiding over these proceedings. You have been called here, to stand as witnesses to a trial.

Though the assembled ponies well-knew the gravity of the matter they attended, and were similarly aware of the crime that was to be tried, hearing such a statement spoken by their beloved Princess shook the heart of even the most stalwart attendees. Despite her efforts to match the composure of her two counterparts, Twilight Sparkle, unnaturally separated from her friends and seated in an imposing throne of violet stone, showed a small but visible disquiet at her mentor’s words.

Striving to prevent the already-unpleasant event from stagnating any further, once again commanded the attention of the hall,

We stand here to exercise the highest authority in the land, by passing judgement on Fizzlepop Berrytwist, alias Tempest Shadow, who stands accused of High Treason against the Crown.

The information came as a surprise to nopony, and yet hearing it spoken shocked everypony. Twilight Sparkle, wishing nothing more than to be standing beside her friends, fought back a powerful urge to vomit, spurred by the stress and burden of her responsibility to pass judgement on her new, reformed friend. The Elements of Harmony, minus their de facto leader, could be seen standing in total silence among the small crowd. Their personalities being known to range from brash, to proud, to opinionated, to insane, lent further significance to their total violation of such traits, by remaining entirely focused on the words of their Princess. Fluttershy, victim to her own soft-heartedness, sidled near to Rarity as a precaution, for the poor pegasus seemed worryingly near to fainting.

Next to break through the uncomfortable atmosphere with her voice was Princess Luna, refocusing the attention of the room, and proclaiming,

Guards, open the main door, and allow the accused in.

Two earth pony guards, stepping toward the hall’s front, grabbed and pulled large metal handles. The door, an immense affair of oak and iron, creaked open. In bled a momentarily blinding pre-evening light, and a small gust of unseasonably chilly air. Eyes adjusting, the gathered witnessed three ponies fade in from silhouette. Leftmost of the trio stood a muscular pegasus, bearing with the ubiquitous armor and spear of the Royal Guard. Though such a weapon was a common sight in Canterlot, there existed no doubt of the guard’s ability to swiftly inflict a mortal wound on a certain pony who might act foolishly. The evident focus of his poised spear-wielding stance stood at the center of the entering trio. A mare of uncommon height, stripped of the Storm King’s armor, Tempest Shadow could be seen for the fuchsia pony she always been. Even under escort by the Royal Guard, the mare cast an intimidating presence. While not nearly as ruggedly built as her pegasus escort, she possessed an impressive musculature for a mare, matched only by the powerful build of the Element of Honesty. With a stoic face, Tempest could be seen to have shackles tightly binding her hooves, in a configuration which allowed for little more than a slow walk. Around her trademark shattered spire of a horn, floated a greenish-black aura, immediately recognizable as a field of antimagic. The effect could be seen to originate from the final member of the trio, a unicorn demonstrating powerful magical concentration, clad in the same royal armor and keeping a moderate berth between himself and the subject of his spell.

Marching slowly forward, the three ponies came to rest several yards in front of the three present Princesses. Lacking both the ability and intent to make any sudden movements, Tempest sat slowly down upon her haunches, and turned her gaze towards Twilight Sparkle.

Twilight mustered a small, supportive smile for the sake of her newest friend. Another subtle grin emerged through Tempest’s unflappable front, wishing to abate the worries of her first friend, before reverting to her expression of neutrality. Princess Luna made a small inhalation, garnering the attention of the room in anticipation of the first words to the accused.

Tempest Shadow, given name Fizzlepop Berrytwist, former lieutenant and second-in-command to the now deceased Storm King, thy liege and the commander of the invading army, being incapable of standing trial for his actions, leavest thou to bear the responsibility of standing trial. Whilst thou art not guilty of ordering the invasion of Canterlot, as thy liege wert, since thou art a pony, and thus a native of this land, thou standest accused of High Treason against the Crown.

Though she knew she would hear those very words, Luna naming Tempest’s crime again brought forth the stress and nausea that hung over Twilight Sparkle, mired in worry for her friend, but forcing herself to hold up a facade of disaffection. The ponies present were further unsettled by Luna manner of speech. While the lunar Princess had adapted to a modern speaking style for some time, the seriousness and weight with which she viewed the matter at hand compelled her to again affect the more formal speech of royalty from a millennium past. The significance of her altered speech was lost on nopony, except the accused pony herself. Luna continued,

Thou art to understand, your plea will not have a bearing upon thy sentence, shouldst thou be found guilty. Knowing such, hast thou any considerations to raise in name of thy innocence?

The air in the hall again grew still, as its population collectively held their breath, anticipating the fuschia mare’s response.

“No, your Majesties, I make no claim of innocence, and defy any other’s claim of such.”

Despite the hall being filled with ponies holding their bated breath, even still, this statement was met with a number of audible gasps. Even Twilight allowed her front to be shattered by an instinctive need to inhale, and a worrisome expression which took her several moments to again conceal.Twilight’s fear for her friend had redoubled, though as she attempted to think rationally on the matter, she realized that no other response would have made sense from Tempest. She felt far too much guilt and shame for her actions to risk being declared innocent. Tempest wants to receive her ablution more than anything else. For her sake, I hope she gets it. Twilight silently thought.

Knowing instinctively that her sister would dread having to speak what was to come next, Luna continued,

Very well. Tempest Shadow, the Crown of Equestria findest thou guilty, of High Treason against the Crown.

Once again, the whole of the hall had known exactly what was to be said, but excepting Luna, Celestia, and Tempest Shadow, everypony was rocked by Luna’s words. Fluttershy could be seen lying on the ground, being fanned by Rarity, having apparently fainted. Pinkie’s mane and tail again demonstrated their balloonish qualities, deflating as though their internal air pressure had been suddenly quartered. Rainbow Dash, more frustrated than sorrowful, stood quietly with a slightly agitated expression on her face. Most worrying of all, Applejack had removed her Stetson, and held it now against her chest with her hoof. Among all of this, Twilight looked meaningfully at the tragic unicorn, who appeared only more alone. Despite this, Tempest made no glances toward anypony, simply holding her unbroken gaze at Princess Luna, with a stare that spoke not of anger, but of submission.

Her sister having spared her the hardest part of the trial, Celestia again took the reins of the proceeding.

Tempest Shadow, before we, the representatives of the Crown, make consideration of the circumstances and context of your crime, for the purpose of delivering a judicious sentence, do you have anything to say for yourself? Any such points you wish to raise, regarding why you acted as you did?

“No, your Majesties. I make no excuses, and submit myself before your judgement.”

The Princesses sat, momentarily silent in contemplation, until finally, Celestia stood. She aimed her gaze through the grandiose windows of the hall, flared her horn with a gleam of golden light, and set the sun onto its slow path of setting. Following thus, Luna stood in kind, and stared seemingly down at the floor, at the hall’s opposite end. In reality, Luna looked toward the lip of the distant horizon, not with her eyes, but with a magical grasp that reached out for her familiar moon. Her horn now imbued with a midnight blue aura, that seemed to consume light just as her sister’s created it, Luna set the moon into a slow rise, starting from well below the horizon. The regal sisters again sat, having completed their unspoken acknowledgement of the waning hour.

Again, silence overtook the room, as the assembled ponies wondered which Princess would be the first to speak. After several more moments of quiet meditation, Princess Luna broke the silence,

Before passing sentence, I wish to raise to the attention of the Crown, that whilst the guilty party makes no claims in her defense, nonetheless we art obligated to consider any such matters, should they be present. As such, in regard to thy crime, Tempest Shadow, whilst thou did invade this land and abduct its Princesses, and thou art ultimately responsible for thy involvement in thus, neither the invasion nor the abduction was an act of thy will. Whence thou committed these acts, thou acted under the orders of thy former liege, the Storm King. Though thou had commanded the invading army for some time in thy liege’s absence, and personally committed thine abductions, thou acted as thou ought, as a loyal subject of thy liege. While all ponies possess the obligation to uphold good and righteous acts, thou had the dual burden of also following the orders of the Storm King.

With Luna’s speech finished, Twilight felt a small bubble of hope, being allowed to form within herself. While Twilight would do nearly anything for the sake of a friend in such dire need, she vastly preferred the idea of aiding Tempest without earning the ire of other ponies.

Acknowledging her sister with an earnest nod, Celestia returned to leading the proceeding. Having passed the most serious portion of the trial, and now making considerations for the sake of the guilty pony, who would otherwise make none, Celestia returned to her typical volume. Still commanding, though notably tempered with mercy, Celestia spoke,

“I am in full agreement with what my sister has said. I would also like to draw the attention of all those here to the possibility that Tempest Shadow has been, in part, the victim of coercion under duress. If I understand properly, you were grievously wounded in a foalhood accident, and following such, were ostracized. This, I imagine, is what led to your departure from this land, and your following solitude. Furthermore, I have been informed by...” Celestia made a small glance toward Twilight Sparkle, and allowed a small smile onto her face. “...a trustworthy source, that the Storm King spurred your enlistment and fealty, with a false promise that he would mend your otherwise unrestorable injury. With this in mind, I cannot imagine that you were not, in some way, put under emotional duress to serve the Storm King. While this doesn’t absolve you, Tempest, I believe it signifies that, while you are the perpetrator of a crime, you have also been the victim of the Storm King.”

Twilight again felt a rush of relief enter her system, as her beloved mentor spoke up in defense of Tempest, and finally returned to the kind, caring disposition she knew. As she collected herself to speak, it occurred to Twilight that Celestia had almost certainly stepped back from her powerful, commanding voice, because she knew Twilight was to speak next, and the young alicorn would struggle balancing a powerful, regal voice, with a calm disposition, especially given her attachment to the pony on trial.With a warm appreciation for Celestia’s unfailingly considerate nature, and the attention of the assembled ponies, Twilight took one last restorative breath, and spoke,

“I agree with the Princesses- that is, with my fellow Princesses. I believe Tempest Shadow has been the victim of coercion, and can’t be- cannot be- expected to bear the full weight of the invasion. F-Further, I personally bore witness to the defeat of the Storm King, and saw the pony before us cast aside self preservation, the leap into the face of death to protect other ponies, ponies who would otherwise be considered her enemies. And she was also the one to truly best the Storm King, dragging him off of a high balcony, intending to give her own life in the fall, to ensure the Storm King’s demise. Though she was saved from the consequences of her sacrifice, she nonetheless acted selflessly. I believe she acted in accordance with the highest ideals of ponykind, and that, though she may have lead the invading army into Canterlot, she is owed a great thanks, for ultimately besting the Storm King and saving Equestria.”

Though starting from initial discomfort and stumbling speech, the young alicorn’s speech built to confidence and poise, as she began to embrace the passion with which she would eagerly defend her friend. Few-if-any ponies in the room could claim to not have been moved by the charisma and surety of the lavender Princess, due in no small part to both her skill in public speaking, and her obvious passion for the matter at hand.

Though the gesture was subtle, the royal sisters looked to each other, then to their youthful counterpart, with great pride. Wielding the full authority of the Crown, and passing judgement on such serious crimes, was among the most difficult responsibilities of Princesshood, and yet their peer had taken to it with surprising grace and capability. Her minor stumbles were far outweighed by the sweeping effect she had generated among the ponies present.

Behind her unflappable mask, Tempest Shadow stood in awe of Twilight’s magnanimity. First I abduct this mare’s fellow princesses, then I pursue her across a continent, abduct her, and steal her magic for the Storm King, and even still she finds it within herself to save my life. And even now, she speaks so fervidly in my defense. No doubt, I am indebted to this pony for the rest of my life. Thoughts paced through Tempest’s mind, as she contemplated the genuinity with which Twilight had declared herself a friend. Were a pony, in this moment, standing face-to-face with the wounded unicorn, they may have seen tears welling in the mare’s eyes, then cast off with a feigned cough, as she returned to her self-imposed neutrality.

Sensing a somewhat lighter atmosphere from her sister and her young peer, Luna also cast off her commanding aura of intimidation, addressing the fuschia mare before her.

“Tempest Shadow, do you object to any of what your Princesses have said of you and the circumstances of your crime?”

“n-no- *cough*- No, your majesty, I submit myself wholly to the wisdom of my Princesses.”

Tempest answered, again feigning a cough to conceal the small crack in her voice, which may otherwise have betrayed her immense gratitude toward the Princesses, and sorrow for her actions. In truth, Tempest wished to fall prostrate before the Princesses, to weep openly her tears of shame, and to beg a severe punishment of the Princesses. She knew, however, that such an action would be a most impetuous imposition upon them, and that doing so would ensure nopony would believe her true feelings of shame for her wrongdoing.

A powerful silence grasped the room, as the summoned ponies looked toward their Princesses, paralyzed by the knowledge that all which remained was the delivery of a sentence. Rainbow Dash and Applejack held confident stances, unwilling to show their inner turmoil to Twilight, for fear of making what was to come more difficult. Pinkie Pie’s mane drooped with a total deflation, that suggested it had been put through a taffy puller, then left out in a storm. Contrary to their earlier positions, it was now Rarity who had fainted, and Fluttershy, having regained herself, who cared for her lightheaded friend.

Against the backdrop of the now-complete night, sunset having slipped by their notice, the hall’s residents looked toward their rulers, displaying a broad mix of emotions nonetheless dominated by sadness and fear.

Taking it upon herself, one final time, to break through the disquiet, Princess Luna addressed their audience.

“Tempest Shadow, the weight of the crime which you are guilty of has not been lost on me.” A pause, like an immense cloud of gaseous mercury, consumed and choked the room, as the lunar Princess considered her next words. “However, I do not believe a grievous punishment is necessary, nor do I believe it would contribute to your repentance and reformation. Thereby, I intend to rest authority on this matter in the hands of a Princess more capable of aiding your rehabilitation. I do yield my right to propose a sentence upon Tempest Shadow, to the Princess Twilight Sparkle.”

Immediately stepping in after her sister’s declaration, Celestia voiced her own judgement.

“I respect my fellow Princess’ conclusion that a severe punishment would be an unhelpful, vengeful solution. I, too, yield my right to pass sentence to the Princess Twilight Sparkle.”

The attendees stood split, between those captured by awe at their lunar rulers’ confidence in the Princess of Friendship, and those who had already expected the final decision would be given to the young leader, and were simply impressed by the regal sisters’ poise in yielding their right to oppose Twilight’s judgement.

While she had suspected some outcome of the sort, the complete authority she now wielded cowed Twilight. Taking several deep breaths, she pressed her hoof to her chest, then pushed it away from herself, with a large exhalation. Inhaling once more, she turned her sight toward Tempest Shadow, preparing to speak.

The guilty pony, now knowing the sole decider of her fate, found herself unable to meet the gaze of a mare who had already shown her so much mercy and consideration. This kindness which she had, in her view, done nothing to merit, weighed so heavily in her mind that she bent her head toward the floor, awaiting judgement.

“Very well. Tempest Shadow, your sentence falls solely to me. I believe Princesses Luna and Celestia have sufficiently discussed your actions, and punishment by which you may be made to repent, and make a permanent change. Personally, I believe it prudent to ensure you are kept well within the reach of regular guards, who are capable of restraining you, should you behave rashly. Also, I do not believe you can be justly entrusted with the freedom to travel and live under your own accord, until such a time as you have proved yourself worthy of such a privilege. If I am correct, you have no true home within these lands, and living in captivity with such guards would provide you residence within Equestria, which you otherwise would not have.”

Several of the assembled ponies now stared at the Princess, guessing at and anticipating the forthcoming sentence. Fluttershy and Rarity, now both fully conscious, stared wide-eyed at their friend, troubled by the decision she was now forced to make. Even Celestia and Luna, who had made great effort to appear perfectly calm and unaffected, could not help but look at their compatriot, in the moment of silent air which seemed to stretch on so long that the sun ought’ve risen again.

“As such, I have decided upon a sentence which I deem appropriate for you. Tempest Shadow, I sentence you to reside under the direct authority and guard of the Elements of Harmony, myself included. You are to be held within the Castle of Friendship, where you will reside, and shall be made to defer to the absolute will of your guards. You shall be allowed outside of the Castle only when accompanied by an Element of Harmony, or separate guard appointed by an Element. Your sentence shall persist until such a time as I have personally deemed you a fully reformed pony. The conditions of your captivity there shall be revised based on your long term behavior, and any violation of your captivity, or the will of your guards. Know that, if you fail to behave and rehabilitate appropriately, you can just as easily be made to reside in a palace dungeon, where you will be allowed no travel into the outside world, and afforded no kindnesses.”

The sternness of her own words, and the mistrust of her friend implied therein, tore Twilight apart. While she wished to be kinder and more understanding toward Tempest, she knew that as long as she was within these chambers, she must feign the harshness of a powerful ruler, dispensing punishment.

Being familiar with such regal matters as had transpired, and knowing the supreme authority of their beloved Princesses was unquestionable, the gathered ponies knew their opinions held no weight. The room responded simply by nodding, and quietly expressing satisfaction at the wisdom of the Princess’ judgement. Excepting, of course the Elements of Harmony, whose reactions revealed their total agreement with Twilight, and hope for the sake of their new friend. Rainbow Dash unleashed a loud, “YES!” and raised a hoof towards Applejack, who responded by rolling her eyes, and accepting the hoofbump with an amused smile. Rarity and Fluttershy, still lying together on the floor, daintily clapped their hooves together, bearing cheerful grins. And, in keeping with her typical mannerisms, Pinkie Pie popped back into joyousness, as though she had been suddenly inflated by a grand- neigh, cosmic- bike pump.

“Bravo, bravo, I say! Bravo, Princess Twilight!” Exaggeratedly spoke a before unseen draconequus, floating behind one of the halls many towering windows and loudly blowing his nose into a polka-dotted hanky, before again vanishing, with an untraceable *poof*

Princess Celestia, visibly pleased at the outcome, stood and addressed the assembly.

“Very well. Miss Tempest Shadow is to be released into the care of Princess Twilight, and the other Elements of Harmony, effective immediately. I thank all you ponies again, for responding to my summons, and bearing witness to these proceedings. You are all dismissed.”

Sensing the implication in their Princess’ words, the gathered ponies began to vacate the marble hall, leaving into the quiet night. After a few moments, the hall went from containing a small crowd, to holding only the Elements of Harmony, the regal sisters, a handful of guards, and Tempest herself. As the Princesses stepped down from their thrones and approached the unicorn, the pegasus guard withdrew his spear, and stood at attention. In similar fashion, the unicorn released his concentration on the antimagic spell, releasing an exhausted breath as the aura faded into nothing. Celestia turned to her former student, and spoke,

“Twilight, I know that I speak for both Luna and myself when I say how proud we are of you. Presiding over such a serious trial is no small feat, and even moreso when determining a sentence falls to you alone. We had total confidence in your ability to make a fair judgement, and as always, you have only impressed us further.”

She drew the lavender mare into a small hug with her wing, as Luna turned toward her in kind.

“Indeed, we are most impressed by your handling of this matter, and we have absolute faith in you, in carrying out this, punishment.” She concluded with a small wink and a smile.

The three Princesses now turning toward Tempest, Celestia adjusted her stance to address the Pegasus guard.

“Guards, please remove Miss Shadow’s shackles. And, considering the lateness of the hour, please charter three pegasus chariots for the Elements and their escortee.”

The guard responded with a salute, and with assistance from his unicorn compatriot, swiftly removed the shackles around Tempest’s hooves. The two then marched out of the hall, taking the restraints away with them, to charter the necessary chariots.

With a final affectionate nuzzle toward Twilight, Celestia began trotting out of the room, Luna following behind. At Celestia’s beckon, so too left the remaining guards, leaving behind only the Elements, and their new companion.

Once left to themselves, the six pastel besties embraced each other in a large group hug. A chorus of praise for Twilight’s display during the trial rang out, during which Tempest stood aside, glad at the outcome of the trial, but wishing to avoid imposing on the kindness she had been shown. With the breaking of the group hug, Pinkie Pie noticed the unicorn’s uncomfortable stance, and proceeded to launch a ballistic hug at her, in the form of her own flying body. With the loving, and immensely tight, grasp of Pinkie restraining Tempest and causing her eyes to bug out, Rainbow Dash stepped forward to address the ensnared mare.

“Whoa whoa whoa, Tempest, Twilight just saved you, again! Doncha’ think you should be a little more… I don’t know…. Excited?”

Pinkie then released Tempest, allowing her to breathe once more. Just as Rarity stepped forth to protest the rudeness of Rainbow’s question, Tempest raised a hoof, signalling the animate marshmallow to hold off. Looking toward her pegasus inquisitor, she responded,

“I’m sorry, I did not mean to seem unappreciative. I owe you all a great debt, and my gratitude is boundless. I simply fear that I may be taking advantage of your kindness.”

As though shook to her core by the statement, Rarity again stepped toward Tempest, and interjected.

“Oh what nonsense darling. You are simply being far too hard on yourself. Who among us hasn’t turned to friends for support when acting… coarsely. The point is, dear, that you mustn’t doubt that we care for you, genuinely.”

“Yeah, we’re ALWAYS happy to have a new friend! I can’t even count how many of our friends used to be evil monsters!” agreed Pinkie Pie.

“Oh dear, oooooooooh dear…” whispered Fluttershy, as though Pinkie’s statement had represented a great surprise to her.

Applejack and Rainbow, now separated from the fuschia mare by a barrier of marshmallow and Pie, looked toward Tempest, somewhat more distant than the others, but accepting of their new friend nonetheless. Seeing several figures fly by in the darkness outside, Twilight looked to her friends and announced,

“Girls, as sweet as this all is, I think our rides are here.” She gestured towards the door, and began to trot towards it.

Tempest followed immediately in step with her pseudo-jailer, and the remaining ponies proceeded in tow, all leaving the immense marble construction that had dominated the past hours, and stepping into the night.

Seeing three pairs of burly pegasi, strapped into three identical golden chariots, the girls divided themselves, more than ready to return to Ponyville. Applejack and Rainbow Dash split off of the group and settled into one of the chariots, which departed moments after. After a last, crushing hug to her new friend, Pinkie was pulled off by Fluttershy and Rarity, who then dragged her into a chariot, and urged the pegasi to set off. As the chariot began to disappear into the distance, a slowly fading yell could be heard echoing from the distant party pony,

“WAIIIIIIITTTTTTT, I FORGOT TO ASK WHEN YOUR BIIIIIIRRRRTHDAAAAAAAAAYY ISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS............

With a small chuckle at her friend’s absurd behavior, Twilight turned to her companion, and gestured to the remaining chariot.

“Shall we set off?” she inquired, walking forward. Tempest fell in line behind her escort, and the two settled into the plush seats of their ride. The pegasi took off, pulling the assembly into the star-pocked night sky

Twilight looked to her friend, who finally seemed to release the tension that had wrought her body throughout the day. Painfully, tears began welling in the Tempest’s eyes and her facade started to visibly crack. Sensing this, Twilight slid over to her friend, and sat side-to-side with her, as Tempest’s mask of composure shattered. Tears began pouring down the mare’s face, and the whites of her eyes were stricken with red. In a way she had never done before, Tempest began to grieve. Heavy sobs consumed her body, and with each breath came more tears, and a heavy heave.

Having received the mercy which she had been taught, in the cruelest way, to never expect, Tempest fell over into Twilight, who laid down, and allowed the mare to cry in her lap. A cascade of tears and sorrow came forth from Tempest, and bled into the lavender coat of the first pony to comfort her in a time of need. Twilight, seeing her friend in such agony, held her in the only way that seemed right, embracing Tempest as a mother would her foal, gently stroking her mane, and softly humming an old foalhood lullaby.

Between heavy sobs and endless, heaving tears, Tempest struggled her voice out, cracking and wheezing, and said,

“...th-t-thaa-a-a-ank you-u-u-u-u *heave* Twi-ilight-t-t-t…”