• Published 25th Oct 2017
  • 955 Views, 117 Comments

The Weary Traveler - The Psychopath



A 'pony' from another timeline visits Canterlot in order to fulfill his dream and have ponies progress to incredible heights surpassing their world

  • ...
6
 117
 955

Math and Science

Celestia was somehow enjoying her time in the court of Canterlot. Ponies were still uneasy about the vessel in the sky, but the Traveler and his ilk had been silent for several weeks, something that was soothing but didn't bode well. The ponies still had no idea how he worked, so they had no way of predicting what his silence meant, especially when one considered the cephalopony had been active nonstop since his appearance. With a deep breath and stretching of her forelegs, the alicorn banished the negative thoughts from her mind. This was a moment of partial-celebration.

"I never thought I would miss this mundane, tiring lifestyle," Celestia thought to herself with a smile. She took in the opaque air tugging at her nostrils not with disdain, but enjoyment. Her eyes remained closed while a frown reshaped her face. "How long until he appears?" she wondered aloud.

"Princess?" the audience pony squeaked.

Celestia opened a tired eye and shook away their worry. "It's nothing important." She cleared her throat and leaned forward in her throne. "You were talking about a border conflict between four families?"

The pony nodded energetically, but before he could resume his speech, the cephalopony and Scleretin walked in, pushing the guards and other ponies in front of them away. The sun princess let out a loud groan and dropped her forehead against a raised hoof. The traveler was different this time, however. He was overloaded with squarish, glass saddlebags filled to the brim with papers. Scleretin was no different.

"What is she doing here?" Celestia asked behind gritted teeth. She wasn't trying to hide her disgust.

Scleretin was about to respond in, but the traveler slapped her on the head with a tentacle. "I've come with a proposal. I find the progression to be lacking."

Celestia leaned back in her throne and turned her head to give the traveler a sideways stare. She was annoyed that he refused to answer her question, but by now it was expected for the cephalopony to not answer them when he didn't see them as important. "Progression in what?"

"Everything scientific."

"Can you elaborate?" Celestia asked.

"Your knowledge of mathematics is impeding your engineering skills. You've yet to discover material tension for suspension bridges or cheaper, lighter materials for heavy duty work, such as aluminum and zinc." He tilted his head to the side. "There are, obviously, much more efficient materials, but these two will complement your present knowledge of iron, as I've seen you've yet to discover how to make steel."

Celestia looked up pensively then straightened herself out in her throne. "I recall you mentioning that you also wanted to help us improve our magical capabilities," she recalled with a sly smile. The traveler nodded. "Will these be implemented?"

"All things in due time. If you focus on magic, as you are doing now, you will never progress, and thus you will stagnate and suffer decay."

The princess stared at the immobile, monotone voiced cephalopony with disdain, but she knew he was right. She rested her head against a hoof and emitted a low groan from her nostrils. Unicorns had indeed become prominent in today's Equestria, most notably because of their ability to freely manipulate magic. This let them imbue items, such as crystals, with spells that allow pegasi, earth ponies, and non-pony species to use without the need for a horn. It came to the point where runes were now actively being researched and implemented into household items, such as crystals for lamps, but such things were costly and slow. A pegasi and earth pony would need to regularly go back to a local unicorn to recharge the runes, and a unicorn would have no need for such a thing.

"You said it would allow non-magic users to better cope with their needs?" she asked the traveler.

"Somewhat." He turned to face the crowds attending the audiences, and his five eyes looked in several separate directions. It caused visible discomfort to said crowds, ranging from mere eye narrowing to holding back an acid fall. "Even the earth ponies and pegasi will be able to freely manipulate magic," he stated plainly. An immense brouhaha erupted from the crowd, from excitement to spiteful phrases spat out like venom. "It won't be in the same vein as the unicorns, so you can sleep easily." The traveler added with a shout. "Your precious positions aren't threatened." He spoke with mockery and disgust.

"I vote that we hear him out," a unicorn shouted from the crowd. It was Caramel Corn. His eyes were still lifeless, but he displayed the best smile he could muster in such short notice. "Princess," he started. "Surely we can take this chance."

Curious and amused, Celestia leaned the side of her head on a hoof, imitating the stance many members of high standing position themselves. She wanted to act like she was above everypony despite never thinking in such a way. It was a good way to tackle this pony. "And why should I take such a chance? Surely, such an aged being can wait just a few decades longer."

The traveler gave no reaction to the comment, leaving Caramel to continue his proposal. "Up until now he's always forced his way into our lives," he stated loudly. "Might I remind you what happened to Canterlot concerning our esteemed guest awhile back?" he asked with a heightening voice of mockery. Scleretin shot the stallion a furious glare. "If we accept this proposal, our technological capabilities and understanding of magic could...skyrocket!" He shot his forelegs into the air and stood on his hind legs for a moment. The stallion fell down with loud clopping. "If we do this now then everything will be integrated calmly and gradually into society, and then we can share it with the other races," he turned to the traveler. "if he so chooses."

Celestia reflected on the proposal in the greatest of silence. Only the creaking of the castle setting in filled the audience's ears. Finally, Celestia readjusted herself and sat properly upon her throne.

"I accept the proposal," she said.

The pressure in the throne room gradually dissipated as the ponies around felt pangs of relief flow over them.

"Then shall we discuss the location of the establishment?" the traveler asked.

Before Celestia could answer, Caramel Corn had one more thing to say. "I'll be more than happy to fund the first establishment, as a token of good will, of course."

The white alicorn nodded, stood up, and waved a foreleg across the air. "Guards, suspend the audiences for now. I would talk with our esteemed," her eyes shot to Scleretin snubbing her. "guests," she spat like poison.

Protests emerged from the crowd, causing much grief to the guards. Why the oldest of the nobles did not protest came off as odd to the alicorn. They were all either planning something or too terrified of the traveler to protest. Then again, there's never a choice with only two possibilities. Finally free, Celestia was able to converse with the traveler while Scleretin remained behind. She was cowering in the presence of the traveler, although she did not show it. The alicorn was well-versed in the array of indicators that one could display despite their faces being calm or angry. She had a whole millennium of politics to sharpen her skills.

"So how do you want to approach this?" she asked the traveler.

"I was thinking of using a nearby site to construct the school or integrate within one of yours. Integration would accelerate things, but it would come at the cost of quick and unstable integration." His eyes looked in several directions while he thought. "That would accelerate my goal, but it could be costly and the outcome is too unpredictable."

"And the other?" Celestia pondered curiously.

"You give me an easily accessible site and we proceed to design the school. The naming will be left to you."

"So generous," Celestia said jokingly.

"As for the staff, I will be using robots to teach the students, each programmed with the knowledge required to teach at every level."

Celestia's eyebrows furrowed. "What? Students will be discouraged by the presence of your...creations. They need living teachers until they have time to adjust."

"Then that will create a ten-year delay, and who will teach the teachers?" the traveler asked plainly. When Celestia didn't him an answer, he continued speaking. "My robots will be educating potential teachers at the same time as the students so this issue is no longer one to think about."

Celestia nodded. "I will at least need somepony to be around so they aren't too uncomfortable."

The traveler blinked. "They might be robots, but I designed them to sound and act like an actual pony." His tentacles shivered. "If anything, they're more androids than robots."

Celestia tilted her head, her face wreathed in confusion. "Android?"

"Robots designed to look like a living being," the traveler said dismissively. "Can we get to deciding on all the points to set up this school?"

The mare nodded silently. She noticed Scleretin looking at the traveler apprehensively and inch away slowly enough that it didn't create any noticeable noise. The cephalopony appeared oblivious to her movements.

"What did you do to her?" Celestia asked.

"Nothing important," the cephalopony answered plainly.

Celestia didn't like the secrecy, but many things swirled within her. She both cared and didn't care about the mare. Scleretin had gauded her into trying to fight, and had gone berserk within the city after seeing something related to her, but the alicorn also took pity. Unlike her companions, she was a broken thing, lashing out at every injustice that she perceived existed around her. The fact that the traveler had her on a leash but did not hold it must have intensified her sentiments. She was never held back by a tug of the wrist, and so she was free to attack absolutely everything she wanted. It was something the white alicorn had witnessed many, many times before, and not just with her little ponies.

"I'm curious. Why are you now suddenly deciding to follow the rules, albeit partially, to install this next step?"

There was a moment of silence. "Because I am not the ruler of this land. The people fear me and likely hate me. I have done nothing to acquire their friendship." Celestia was about to speak, but the traveler continued. "I frankly do not care whether they like me or not, but leading a land through fear with breed contempt and hatred. You will eventually reach your downfall, but leading too kindly gives way to perceived weakness. The strong try to exploit that for what they view as a position more deserving of them." He eyed the alicorn up and down. "Something you have no doubt learned the hard way." Celestia narrowed her eyes, but she noticed that the robopony did not snicker like usual. "True kingdoms and empires were rules not with an iron hand or an open hand, but a strong fist clinging onto those of the weaker. It can lessen its grip and keep them held in place. It can tighten its grip to hurt them, but the wrist will tire eventually and must be lessened. Most importantly, it can let go or pull the hand up."

"Those are some colorful metaphors," Celestia mused. "Although I would be remiss to note that you don't have hands."

The cephalopony looked down and snorted. "I did not learn this idiom through our own kind, princess."

"Then who did you learn it from?"

The pony pointed to the ceiling with a tentacle. "Beyond the sky dwell many lives. Perhaps you will see them one day in the future, if decay does not set in and I'm forced to restart the process."

Celestia looked up, a foal-like sense of wonder engulfing her. What were the other worlds like? She shook her head. Such thoughts were too far away to get a concrete answer. She needed to focus on the task at hand and the road that must be paved for future generations to walk across more easily.

"I believe that you will need a new establishment entirely for your work," Celestia said softly. It was the traveler's turn to be interrupted this time. "But I can accommodate your need temporarily in my school for gifted foals. I will have a wing dedicated to the introduction of your math and engineering." She cleared her throat. "We'll discuss where to place your school later."

"Very well," the traveler answered. He set the papers next to Celestia's throne, as did Scleretin. The alicorn felt a tinge of discomfort from the proximity, but the robopony kept herself calm and quiet. "I'll have my machines present themselves to you tomorrow."

With no other words, the traveler left the throne room with Scleretin closely behind him. The white alicorn heaved a long sigh. He wasn't giving any polite hellos and farewells, but it was a start, at least. Left with her mind to wander, Celestia wondered how her cousin was doing with the strange creature that looked partially like a newborn foal.


"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"