• Published 22nd Aug 2012
  • 2,790 Views, 102 Comments

Rarity's lament - Sweetiebellema121



Rarity loses something she may never get back.

  • ...
5
 102
 2,790

Regret part 1: Memories

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Rarity! Rarity!!" A young Sweetie belle chirped happily.

"What is it now Sweetie Belle."

"Look! Look I-I drew you another picture."

"Thats nice dear. Now put it by the night stand and I'll look at it later. As you can clearly see i'm very busy right now."

"O-oh ok.....if-if you like it will you put up on your wall."

"We'll see." Rarity sighed with annoyance

"But..but you always say that...and you never do."

"Your 'art' doesn't exactly go with my tastes."

"Do...do you not like my drawings..."

For a few moments the room was silent.

"...I have alot of work to do. So if you don't mind I'd like to get back to it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rarity's bloodshot eyes opened slowly; She'd only been asleep for an hour but it was the most sleep she had gotten in the last few day. Rarity rubbed her eyes slowly with a hoof.

Even in her dreams Sweetie Belle haunted her.

Three more days had already come and gone but still there was no sign of the small white unicorn. Twilight and the others were diligent in their search and as much as Rarity wanted to join them; she was forced to stay home.The numerous cuts and scrapes the unicorn suffered from her venture in the Everfree Forest had grounded her. The snug bandages that hugged Rarity's forelegs, hind legs and sides were simply a reminder of her failure.

Growls from the mare's empty stomach echoed through her ears. It had been hours since her last meal but Try as she may; no matter how often she tried to satisfy her hunger she couldn't. Each time Rarity gathered enough strength to leave her bedroom and walk down to her kitchen; the appetite she had would simply disappear. Forcing herself to eat only made things worse as she felt nauseous soon after.

Rarity felt weak; weaker than she had ever felt in her life. Whether it from the lack of food or the heavy pressure on her chest; she wasn't sure. It was then that the mare's eyes glanced down at her fading body. Her once glamorous mane was now an disheveled mess thrown in every direction as was as her stunning coat. Worst of all was the pain; not a physical pain as the wounds Rarity suffered had already gone numb to her.

The anguish she felt was in her heart.

Rarity's head drooped down as Her mind circled through all the things she had said to both her friends and the two fillies. The white unicorn wasn't as prideful as Rainbow Dash or Applejack; but still She had yet to apologies to Apple Bloom and Scootaloo for her horrid behavior. Rarity wanted to apologies; She wanted to tell them how horrible she felt for her actions, but the two fillies were avoiding her. There was one other whose forgiveness Rarity desperately craved but that would have to wait until she was found.


The somber mare was glued to the fame at the edge of her bed that now held Sweetie Belle's picture. For a moment the room was still then the memories of her sister's arrival to her home more then a week ago flooded her mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So...Um." Rarity began as the two sisters walked up the stairs. "Did mother or Father tell you how long you'll be staying."

The filly tilted her head to the side trying to recall the words from her parents.
"I think mom said...a week or...maybe two...I kinda forget."

Rarity sighed as the two reached the top of the stairs.

"What do you even do on a 'honey moon' anyway?" Sweetie BGelle asked with an innocent smile

"Oh..ah..."Rarity hesitated for second as a drop of sweat ran down her face. " I'll...explain it to you when your a little older."

""(unless you learn about it from school of course.)" Rarity muttered under her breath.

The filly narrowed her eyes.
"OOOOOHH!!' Sweetie belle said with a smug smile. "It's like that huh!" She giggled as she swong her tail side to side. "I thought they were too old for that."

"Sweetie Belle!!" Rarity cried "This is our parents we're talking about here...you shouldn't talk about their sex lif-" Rarity stooped herself as her face turned red.


Sweetie belle's smile grew wider and wider as she watched her sister turn a bright red.

"Rreeaallllyy!" Sweetie Belle said slyly "Go on." She said with a wink "I'd love to hear more about mom and dad's sex life or just sex in general...I know so little bu-"


Rarity lowered her head trying to hide her face.
"What you..." Rarity paused to collect herself before continuing "...ho-how much...do you know....i mean...I didn't think....they...um taught...'that'...at school... just yet...with you....being so young..."

"Oh um..." Sweetie Belle hesitated.

The filly's slyness disappeared as though the question had caught her off guard.

"...I-i...didn't learn it from school." The small unicorn said with a half smile.

"Pardon." Rarity said with a tilted eyebrow.

"I-It was Scootaloo..."

"(Why am i not surprised.)" Rarity thought with a sigh.

"...She..um..taught me the difference between fillies and colts...and..." Sweetie Belle paused as she started to blush "...and a few other things...that she said i shouldn't repeat..."

"(Why do i get the feeling a certain rainbow haired mare has something to do with this.)" Raity thought in disgust.

"So..." The blushing filly began "Then... i-it's....true right."

The white mare simply coughed into her hoof.
" A proper lady...doesn't speak of such vulgar things...it's very unbecoming."

"I think we've had enough sexual..." Rarity paused as her sister giggled at the word.
"...education for one day." The embarrassed mare said with an annoyed face.

The filly toppled to the floor; (She couldn't hold it any longer.) laughing madly at her sisters embarrassment.

Rarity rolled her eyes.
"Anyway." The mare began; grabbing her sister off the ground by the filly's mane so the two could continue down the hall. "Much like last time you will be staying in the guest room." Rarity tilted her head to the filly. "You remember the rules am I correct?"

The filly's face fell as she rolled her eyes at the question.
"Yes I remember." Sweetie said in a monotone voice.

"Good."The mare said with a smile. "I'll be quite buzy for the next few days so i would appreciate it if you could keep the noise to a minimum."

Sweetie belle sighed as the two made their way to the middle of the hall.

"...But then again i guess you will be at school most of the time so that won't be too much of a problem." Rarity grinned to herself.

The guest room was only a few steps away but Rarity tilted her head towards the door the two were about to pass.

"Oh and one more thing."Rarity said with a frown. "I doubt I have to say this; (mostly because tou have no business in there anyway.), but I don't want you going into my workroom. I have quite a few things going on in there an-" Rarity stopped.

The tiny unicorn lifted her head upwards to her sister.
"Everything...ok?"

Rarity narrowed her eyes at the door. She herself had closed the door tightly the day before but now the door was tilted open.

"Yes..." Rarity began. " ...Yes everything is fine."

The two moved slowly into the guest room.

"I expect the bed to be made everyday you understand." Rarity said in a harsh voice with narrowed eyes.

The filly simply blinked in confusion at her sisters change in tone.

Rarity shook her head quickly; letting her face soften once again.
"Listen if you follow all the rules and don't bother me while i'm working...I-i'll take you out for some ice cream...or somthing this weekend...ok...how does that sound."

"Oh..ok or maybe we coul-" But Before the filly could finish her sister was already halfway out the door.

"I love you sis."

Rarity stopped; her head drifted down.
"oh yes...and I L-"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rarity's thoughts were broken by the light tapping at her window. The unicorn dragged herself off her bed to the window.

Rarity let out a low sigh when she spotted Ditzy "Derpy" Doo (Derpy Hooves to most.) the off grey pegasus with a blonde mane fluttering outside her windowframe with a large bag over her shoulder.

Rarity pulled the frame up; which took more effort then she thought it would.
"Your a bit early Ditzy."

The crossed eyed mailmare smiled as she held out several letters.
"Here you go." Ditzy said with a pleasant smile.

"Yes...um thank you." Rarity said with a half smile as she took the stack of letters.

Ditzy gave a little nod before reaching into her bag and pulling out a muffin.The mailmare turned with a grin as she flew away; taking a bite from her treat as she swiveled through the air.

Rarity took the mail and staggered back to her bed. It wasnt that she was hurt; her body was just sore. The mare laid the letters on her night stand as she began shuffling through them. Rarity rolled her eyes, shook her head and chuckled to herself; as she had found that only half the letters actually belonged to her.

There was a good reason Ditzy's nickname was Derpy.

It wasn't because the pegasus was stupid or incompetent; if anything she as normal as any other pony and quite a dilligent worker. The mailmare; (after hearing that Rarity was more or less bedridden.) had actually gone out of way to deliver the mail to Rarity through the window simply so that Rarity didnt have to strain herself. Ditzy's problem was her depth perception; with her eyes crossed like they were it made reading the names on the letters difficult.

A birth defect maybe, but Rarity could never bring herself to ask.


Rarity sorted the letters into different piles;

The first letter was addressed to Berry punch; (a new drink recipe most likely.).

The second was for Fluttershy; (which Rarity would deliver personally when she was strong enough.)

The Third and fourth letters were from two of Rarity's clients who were inquiring about their dresses.(sadly neither dress had even been started.)

The fifth was to Lyra heartstrings ;( which Rarity could only guess had to do with the mystical creatures she was known to study.)

The next was from Twilight; (most likely a report of some sort.) and the the seventh... Rarity pause when she looked at the final letter it was different then the others.


There was only four words 'To Miss Rarity' and the In Giant letters the word:URGENT.

There was no return adress or signature from the one who even sent the letter. Rarity bit her lip then slowly opened the letter.To her surprise and annoyance the letter was blank; there was not a single written word, the only thing inside was a small white stone at the very top. Rarity grimaced to herself for a second until she took a closer notice at the stone.

Rarity's eyes widened.
"Is this what...i think this..." Rarity thought slowly "...Is this a...two-way communication letter."

Although Rarity had never actually seen a communication letter she'd heard of them. From what Rarity had heard a communication letter was a rare magical type of documation inwhich two letters were linked together through magic; allowing both parties to speak to one another through the letters.The white object that Rarity mistook for a rock was actually a small cut gem. The gem was laced in magic and was itself the link that connected the letters.The mare remembered that this type of letter was more commonly used in one of the larger cities like Fillydelphia or Cloudsdale. It was likly the close net community that made up ponyville rendered a communication letter somewhat useless.

Rarity flipped the letter up and and down in an attempting activate it, but despite her best efforts nothing happened. The mare grimaced to herself; she let out a low sigh as she had an idea. Rarity gathered her courage; then in a low but audible voice she spoke a single word:
"Hello."

To the unicorns surprise the white jem flashed blue.

The room fell silent; Rarity's heart pounded in her ears as several drops of sweat ran down her face. Then just as she thought an eternity had pasted the gem flashed green.
"Hello..." A gruff voice said. "Is this..." The voice paused "...Miss Rarity i'm speaking to."

Rarity froze; her voice disappeared as she stared blankly at the paper in front of her. The voice (obviously a stallion.) was unfamiliar to her, but for some reason he knew her name. Rarity hesitated; she didn't know what to say and before she could even attempt to say another word the gem flashed brightly in her face.

"Excuse me miss..." The voice said sternly "...We really need to talk."