• Published 25th Oct 2017
  • 1,694 Views, 22 Comments

A Letter To The Princess - Fine Point



Fluttershy has something to tell Twilight, something embarrassing. If words are not enough, maybe a letter will do.

  • ...
2
 22
 1,694

The Letter

I felt the sun shine over me through the window, the warm embrace of its light wrapping around me as the tweeting of the birds I’ve come to love bring me out of the dream world. I sit up and rub my eyes, a yawn and a stretch before I slide out of my bed. I look at the clock and smile. Today is the day, the day I ask her, both exciting and terrifying at the same time. I would push away the second part until later today, where I fear I might talk myself out of it. I nod to myself, tell myself that I can do it if I try, but despite my own uncertainty, I manage to believe myself, for now.

I walk down the stairs from my bedroom, and am welcomed by the din of the animals eagerly awaiting their daily attention and of course food. Breakfast was a necessity afterall, wasn’t it? Seeds for the birdies, carrots for the bunnies, and a special ingredient for the carnivores. Rest easy, it’s not real meat, we found a workaround ages ago. After they were all fed, and as happy as could be, I grabbed a pen and paper. I sat down on the couch, put the paper on the coffee table and thought to myself.

“This has to be perfect… it has to be right, it can’t have many flaws, can I do it? I’ll try.” So I wrote and I toiled, and I tried my best, but no matter how hard I worked… or how hard I tried… I just couldn’t seem to find it in me, to write something I liked. I scribbled out papers, crumpled them up, rewrote it fifty times, but to no luck. I got rather frustrated, I was about to give up, tears ran from my eyes as I feel back on the couch. “Nobody will love me, I’m not good enough… how can I find inspiration? I want to give up! But… I can’t, I can’t give up, not now, I still have hope, I just need inspiration.” I said, wiping my tears, donned a bold face and got up from the couch. “Let’s do this.” I said, and stormed out the door, papers in tow, to the town I loved.

I looked at the trees, the grass and the clouds… nothing seemed to spark my mind, I felt kind of sad, what was I to do? I hung my head, and walked through the town, fought back the tears, didn’t want to make a scene.

But, as fate would have it, when I finally raised my head, I saw her, the princess. She was talking to a group of foals, helping them solve a friendship problem. She was so confident in her approach, knew just what to say, always bringing ponies together, so strong and kind. I felt a warm feeling abrew in my heart, rising up to my mouth, forcing a smile upon my face, as my mind lit up, and I knew I had found my inspiration. I could hardly wait, I ducked behind a building and began writing.

“Dear Twilight, I have never known a better friend than you. You helped me be a better pony when the world felt like it was falling apart, or when I wasn’t thinking straight. You’re an inspiration, a role-model, and I everyday that passes, and every breath I take, I begin to feel like I want you to be more… more than a friend, or a best friend even. I love you. Do you love me?” I wrote, folded it up, and wrote “To the princess.” on top, dotting the ‘I’s, with a heart.

“T-Twilight?” I asked, walking over nervously with the letter in my possession. She turned to me and smiled, I blushed, and hid my face, I knew it might give it a way, and the warm feeling in my stomach turned to a sinking one.

“Yeah, Fluttershy?” She asked, and I couldn’t bring myself to talk. I shoved the letter to her chest as she took it with her magic. “Huh?” She asked, looking down at it, then up at me, but I was already gone, too afraid to be there when she read it.

I ran all the way back home, hoping she wouldn’t seek me out, not yet, I was still too nervous, I could barely believe what I had just done… there was no going back, she was going to reject me, I knew it, and our friendship would never be the same again. I slammed the door behind me and jumped onto the couch, hiding my face, for no reason in particular, nopony was around, but I think I was so embarrassed I wanted to hide from even myself.

I stayed there like that, for an hour or more, talking myself down over and over. “She will reject it, you’re not good enough, you’re not good enough, you’re not good enough.” Over and over in my head, stopped only by the sound of a light knock at the door. My heart sank deeper than I thought was possible. Was that her? Did I even answer? I already knew what she would say! I got up from the couch, shaking, and over to the door. I opened it just a crack, and saw that it was her, looking through the crack, too nervous to open it all the way, to face her when she rejected me.

“Fluttershy? Are you alright?” She asked with a frown, a concern I knew was genuine, she was always looking out for her friends, no matter what, the thought comforted me just a little bit, but I didn’t say anything.

I merely opened the door all the way, and stood there, head hung low, hair over my face. “I-I’m sorry… Twilight…” I muttered out, feeling bad for even asking, when I knew she would never feel the same.

“It’s alright, Fluttershy. It’s more than alright.” She said, and I could feel a weird feeling building up inside of me again. I looked up at her, slowly, not believing she really thought that.

“R-really?” I asked, and she gave me a smile, a smile that could melt the coldest of hearts, and calm the most unnerved of souls.

“Really.” She said, and then pulled me in for a hug. I was surprised at first, but feeling her arms around me, I began to believe her for real. I hugged back, and began to tear up.

“Thank you.” I said, holding her as tight as possible, I didn’t want her to stop.

I wanted this moment to last forever.