• Published 16th Oct 2017
  • 422 Views, 4 Comments

Gleaner Chronicles: American Monsters - sevenofeleven



A group of ponies from Equestria travel to a world that’s a strange combination of Equestria and Earth to rescue Rarity and Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
4
 4
 422

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Sixteen: The Gleaner Artist

Eye Sore Building
Top Floor
Hallway

Margot made the mistake of looking at the paintings on the wall and regretted it. Eya Sore definitely had the skills, but the subject matter wasn’t to her liking. Paintings of tortured, twisted and misshapen ponies doing awful things to each other covered the walls.

Sweetie Belle looked at the paintings and her ears drooped. “Rarity, what’s wrong with Eya Sore?”

Rarity sighed. “Well, Ms. Sore has a different view of beauty than we do. I plan to show her that her ideas of beauty are wrong or at least not beautiful.”

Skybreeze snorted. “This stuff on the walls is not beautiful. This looks like the work of an inmate at Equestrian Acres. No sane and or sensible pony would paint such horrible things.”

The door to Eya Sore’s penthouse was flanked by two statues of twisted foals.

Margot couldn’t look at the door or the statues. The idea that some pony thought torturing babies was art made her angry.

LaShawn’s eyes narrowed. “This messed up nag has the nerve to do that to foals? Rarity say your piece quickly. I just have to put her down!”

Jerome walked up with a black keycard and swiped it through the reader. The door just beeped. “I’m not liking the sound of this.”

After several failed tries, the door opened. The group carefully walked through the door.

Again, Margot kept her eyes low. She had been hurt enough by what she saw. All she did was face straight ahead. Way in front of them, were large windows that showed the city. Standing in front of the windows, a black zebra with bright green stripes waited.

Margot noticed that she had some sort of green metal band on her right foreleg.

The creature shook its bright green bereted head. “Dross, simply dross. Nothing of value at all. So Rarity, you brought your friends with you. What sort of tiresome game are we playing?”

Rarity sighed. “Well, Ms. Sore, I thought we could discuss real beauty just one more time.”

“Really? Oh I guess I can keep the SWAT teams off your backs until the chat is over. Be civil all of you or it’s off to the Tombs or worse! All I have to do is to hit the panic button.”

Rarity nodded. “Let me show you something. The time I spent downstairs gave me time to think.” She looked around. “Well, I believe-”

Eya Sore shook her head. “No, you will not cage true beauty by words. Show me!”

Rarity looked around. Her blue eyes darted all over the area. “Well, I have ideas but how can I show you?”

Eya Sore sighed. “Show me soon or you will be a guest of the SWAT teams. I have work to do.”

Jerome walked up to Rarity. He held out his left forehoof for a bump. “Miss Rarity, may I suggest a solution?”

Rarity nodded.

“Well, Margot, the pink unicorn knows illusion magic. I suggest that you touch horns with her. That will allow you to talk to her and give her instructions on what to make. I have a spell that would smooth out the bumps. This way you can show Eya Sore what you really want her to see.” Rarity nodded as Margot walked up to her and touched her horn. The next few minutes were a blur as Rarity thought and Margot translated her ideas into glowing clouds of light.

Margot couldn’t see what Rarity was trying to make.

The light reflecting off of Eya Sore’s face showed her progress. At first, it was boredom, then there was a bit of interest. Eya’s ears perked up as she peered closely at the glowing show.

Jerome turned off the spell.

Margot found herself back in her own head.

Eya’s expression moved to interested, and at last to awe. “Well, I am surprised. Maybe you’re right, Rarity.”

Rarity shook her head. “Maybe I’m right?” She stood up straighter. “I’m right! Look at your work, Eya. A true artist expresses emotions through themselves onto the canvas, interpreting what they believe another feels and let the viewer determine the rest. What you have done is create prisons to feed on, not canvases to capture the sorrow of others. There is nothing artistic in what you do. It is clear-cut murder.”

Eya’s eyes narrowed.

Margot wondered if Eya was going to reach for her security band.

Rarity’s eyes narrowed for a moment and went back to normal. “Really, Eya, you can’t take some criticism? That’s how a true artist grows.”

Eya looked down then back at Rarity. “But these are canvases and I have captured their sorrow! You cannot deny the horror in their eyes or their silent screams.”

“You have only frozen their sorrow in the way you wish to keep their prison. You have captured a moment, but they have done the work. You have created nothing yourself," Rarity said.

"If I have only captured the moment then that would make me a photographer wouldn't it! And capturing moments is still art!" Eya said while her voice rose.

“Yet, you are not a photographer. You are a sculptor, and yet you sculpt nothing yourself. These ponies are only positioned in the manner that you find pleasing and then you stop. Any pony can do that! Well, those that wish to work with live ponies,” Rarity said as a grimace of disgust crossed her face.

Eya’s eyes narrowed again. " Empress Razorhoof gave me a dossier on your background. I know what you do for a living. Any... Any pony can do that! Any pony can stitch two pieces of cloth!"

“Yes, any pony can stitch cloth and that doesn't make them an artist. Remember, I was made as one of your pieces of ‘art.’ All you did was stand there, waiting, while I positioned myself and became still. Art is about expression and intention. It requires an active hoof, even if it is random. You leave everything to chance. You poke a dot on a piece of paper and claim genius, but a lack of skill does not make a genius. You are a charlatan with a quick spell and an inflated ego. If anything the spell is the artist, not you," Rarity said as her voice rose too.

Margot began to worry that violence was going to happen real soon.

Eya nodded and then smiled triumphantly. "Yet, your own spells weave the needle through the thread! Defend yourself against your own words!"

"I do use a spell and it obeys what I think. It acts as my extension. Even if I didn't have it, I still have my hooves and my mouth. It would be long and tiring but I can still create art under my own power. Can you say the same?" Rarity said then she took a deep breath. “Before this discussion devolves into a screaming match, I want to say that you can still create Art. You have done so before.”

Eya peered at Rarity. “How?”

Margot remembered when she had dated a guy who was into German Expressionism. He had shown her his coffee table art book of the work of Otto Dix. She didn’t like looking at the grotesque artworks. Maybe she wondered, Eya Sore was like that?

“Well, instead of using live ponies, you make your own. I’ve seen your paintings. I don’t like the subject matter but the talent there is quite obvious,” Rarity said.

Eya sighed. “I don’t know. The work I do, it’s beloved by gleaners on many worlds. I don’t know if I can give that up.”

Rarity smiled. “Eya, darling. If you want to grow beyond being a gleaner, you have to leave that behind.”

A tear fell from Eya’s left eye. “Rarity, I don’t know if I can,” Eya said then sniffled.

Apple Bloom stepped up to Rarity and Eya Sore. “If y’all is willing to repent, Oonte will forgive you.”

A look of regret crossed Eya’s face. “I need to feed on the lives of ponies and other creatures. I’m a gleaner and there is no redemption for me. I’ve done such terrible things in places far away from here. I thank you, Rarity, for giving me a glimpse at what true Art is. But-” Eya said then reached for her security band.

Two shots rang out and Eya slumped to the floor. Dark green energy poured out of two holes in her side. A smaller fountain gushed out of her mouth.

Margot looked at LaShawn, but she looked surprised too. Also, her guns were still holstered.

Then Rarity looked down at Sweetie Belle. Then Margot followed Rarity’s gaze. Sweetie Belle had a gun in her hoof.

Rarity grimaced. “Why Sweetie? Why?”

“When she said ‘and’, I just knew she was going to attack. I can’t lose you again Rarity!” Sweetie said.

Eya Sore whispered, “Finish me.”

LaShawn un-holstered her gun and put two shots in the Eya’s head.

Her body glowed dark green then faded.

Far stepped up. “We need to find a way out of here before those SWAT teams will find out that Eya Sore is dead.”

Skybreeze walked up and started to inspect the walls. “Creatures like this usually have a hidden exit somewhere.”

Margot walked to the far wall and began scanning for a hidden passage. Outside there were gunshots and then an explosion.

Scootaloo was walking past a statue to check out a wall for a hidden panel when it started to make crackling sounds. She jumped back just in time as a dead pony fell out of the stone. Scootaloo looked at the dead pony for a second. “Apple Bloom, here’s another one that needs Oonte’s grace.”

Apple Bloom trotted up to look then she stuck out her left fore hoof.

“Whoa, let’s hold off on that!” LaShawn said.

Scootaloo gave LaShaw an angry glare.

LaShawn pointed at Scootaloo with her right fore hoof. “You can chill on the attitude. Magic fillies, um SHC, if you give grace to all of the dead ponies, this building is going up with us in it. Do you guys remember Nestor C? Momma Delphi told him to blow this building when it glows blue. You gotta hold off on the grace thing until we find the exit.”

Skybreeze yelled. “Found something.”

Margot trotted over to Skybreeze to see what she found.

That’s when a great weight seemed to press down on all of them. It was like a million ton hoof was trying to crush her into the black and gold marble floor. She focused and traced the spell to its source. It was a unicorn in a truck. With the last bits of her will, Margot sent a fireball spell along the crushing spell’s edge to its caster. There was a loud explosion downstairs. The weight dissipated. Margot stood up and walked up to Skybreeze. It took just a moment to bypass security and the door opened.

Far crawled up. “Damn, now I know what a squashed bug feels like.”

Skybreeze shook her head. “No, you don’t. You survived, the bug didn’t”

LaShawn looked at the small space. “It’s too small for an elevator. What is it?”

Skybreeze’s horn glowed for a moment. “Interesting. It’s a teleporter.”

LaShawn looked out the window. The sounds of gunfire and screams were getting louder. “We can’t stay here. I’ll go first and Far will follow me. We will clear the area if it’s needed. SHC you should give grace or whatever you do after everypony else has gone through.”

Scootaloo opened her mouth, but a glare from Apple Bloom made her keep quiet.

LaShawn stepped into the small space and was gone.

Far followed her.

Margot stepped back.

Jerome looked at Margot. “You are going right?”

“Yes. I want to make sure the SHC have magical protection when they do the ritual. If they pass out, I will throw them through,” Margot said.

Jerome nodded and stepped through.

Apple Bloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle touched their right fore hooves together. A blue flash flew from them and shone through the room. The light headed downstairs.

Margot watched as the SHC wobbled and collapsed to the floor. She had to pick them up using telekinesis, and put them in the teleporter. Then Margot stepped through.

The next thing she saw was rusty old pipes and the rest of the group. They were in some sort of basement. Margot glanced at the floor. The dust showed that nopony had been there in a while.

LaShawn looked down the hallway. “There has to be an exit around here. When we hit the street we have to stop.”

Rarity looked at the dusty floor and the steam spewing rusty pipes. “What city is this?”

LaShawn looked back at Rarity. “Manhattan.”

At that moment there was an explosion above them. Bits of plaster rained down from the roof.

Rarity looked at LaShawn. “Manehattan?”

Margot walked up to keep things going. “You’re not in Equestria. This is another world.” She looked around. “LaShawn, what happened?”

“I think Nestor launched his attack against the Eye Sore building. I’m glad we got out of there when we did.”

Nga'Devro walked up to Rarity who was shaking bits of plaster out of her purple mane and tail “Nga'Devro will place Sweetie Belle on your back now if you wish.”

Rarity nodded. Margot used her telekinesis to place Scootaloo on Far’s back then she placed Apple Bloom on Skybreeze’s back.

LaShawn looked back to see if everypony was ready. “Come on, let’s go. We have to be out of here before the MA sends more enforcers or worse.” They spent some time cantering around in the basement until they found stairs going up.

Far and LaShawn waited at the doorway listening for threats. When they sensed that the area was clear they entered the room. The rest of the group followed them.

Skybreeze sneezed.

Margot could see why, the room looked like it was a long abandoned dusty store. The front window was covered by a metal gate. Next to the door was a grey metal box.

LaShawn checked it out. “Okay, there are some keys here. They probably open the door. Time for me to tell you some things.”

Jerome stepped up. “Like, you’re the leader of the resistance?”

LaShawn grimaced. “No Curly, I’m not the leader of the resistance.”

Skybreeze walked up. “Really, Jerome. What if we got caught?”

Far looked around the store. “Guys, let’s move this along or we will get caught.”

LaShawn nodded. “Thank you. I have a map that will get you to the D.C. resistance. Also there is a minibus that is fueled and stocked with supplies. There should be enough food for the trip. I also have a list of contacts so you know who to talk to.” She pulled out the map and the contact list. Margot grabbed them and put them in her saddlebags. Something banged against the gate and the ponies jumped.

Far got his gun ready.

LaShawn unlocked the door and slowly opened it. Two MA enforcers stood right outside the door.

Margot cast a stun spell on them.

Far shot one in the head while LaShawn shot the other one.

Then the group stepped outside into the noise and confusion. Gunshots echoed all over the place. Some of them sounded like pistol fire while others sounded like machine gun fire.

LaShawn checked out the row of empty stores. “I know this area, we just have to cross over to the next block to the bus. Then you have to travel south. Follow me.”

Margot looked around, the area was deserted at least for now, but she figured more MA enforcers were going to arrive. The SHC were still sleeping as the group crossed the street and went down another block. Margot was glad the fighting was not close. Up the block, the Eye Sore building was in flames. Margot could see that clearly. She hoped that the ponies working in the building got out safely.

Finally, they were at the dark blue minibus. LaShawn pulled the keys out of her saddlebags. “For the driver.” Margot grabbed the keys using her telekinesis.

LaShawn looked around then holstered her gun. “Thank you for helping me in the Bronx. I wish you well on saving your friend. May the Princesses guide and protect you.” Before anypony could say anything LaShawn galloped off.

Margot thought she saw some wetness around LaShawn’s eyes.

Far holstered his gun. “Okay, let’s get on and out of here. Margot give me the map so I can help navigate.”

Margot gave Far the map then she got into the minibus’s driver seat. The rest of the group piled in. Margot hit the gas and they drove down the block to Washington D.C. She hoped Twilight Sparkle was still alive and that they had a chance to save her.

PreviousChapters Next