• Published 16th Oct 2017
  • 422 Views, 4 Comments

Gleaner Chronicles: American Monsters - sevenofeleven



A group of ponies from Equestria travel to a world that’s a strange combination of Equestria and Earth to rescue Rarity and Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
4
 4
 422

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Ten: Worst commute ever

Polo Grounds Projects
Building Three
Apt 11G
Late afternoon

Margot had to admit this meal was pretty close to the best. Juan Santana, a white pony with a blue mane and tail had almost cooked his hooves off producing an amazing meal. It started off with a cream of broccoli and potato soup. Then moved on to a lovely rice with lentils and fried onions. For dessert, there were fruit jam turnovers.

Even Skybreeze heaped praise on the cook. “Juan, I must say, your handling of spices is quite masterful.”

Nga'Devro nodded.

Margot noticed that Juan had put pieces of chicken in Nga'Devro’s rice with lentils.

Jerome smiled and was a buzz kill. “If this was our last meal, it’s a pretty good one.”

Margot shot him an angry glare then she looked at the apartment.

The dinner table was black and covered with white plates and bowls. Some food was spilled on it too. Pictures of rural scenes in Santo Domingo covered the light green walls. Of course the room was full of ponies and other creatures.

Besides Far’s group, there were Resistance members and two ex-MTA (Metropolitan Transportation Authority) techs. Hanz Zieger was a griffin with bluish black feathers and bright blue eyes. He just wore a denim shirt and jeans.

Kim Phan, a changeling with gray eyes and black hair, was the other ex-MTA employee. He had a grey t-shirt and jeans.

Far grimaced. “Did you have to say that Jerome?”

Hanz waved his left claw. “Ja, it does the meal bad to discuss work but time is limited. Right Kim?”

Kim just shrugged. “What ever.”

Hanz pointed a talon at Far. “When LaShawn said you were from out of town, she didn’t say exactly where. Where do you come from?”

Kim laughed. “Maybe they’re from the Moon?”

LaShawn sighed. “Guys. Guys. Who cares where Far and his crew come from? They have helped me before. Where they come from is not important. We need their help to get to the Bronx.” She took a drink. “Since Far and his crew are from out of town. I will explain some things to them. The MTA or Metropolitan Transport Authority was a pre-Gleaner organization that handled a lot of the public transportation for NYC.”

Hanz waved a claw again. “The MTA was my best employer until those damned Gleaners appeared and filled the subway tunnels with their filth!”

Kim nodded.

Hanz drank some more beer. “We need you. LaShawn and your ‘Moon crew’ to watch our backs until we get a train car powered up and ready to go.”

Skybreeze pushed her plate away. “Wait, won’t the MA hear the trains? Also, how do you know that the tracks are clear?”

Margot wondered about the same thing. After living in NYC for several years she knew subway trains with their metal wheels were not the quietest things.

Kim faced Skybreeze. “Well, maybe where you are from the trains are noisy. The MTA used to have trains with metal wheels but they got phased out in the ‘80s.”

Hanz shook his head. “Nein. Actually, the schedule was a bit more complicated. They started phasing in the monorail system in 1975 and the entire subway was updated in 1995. Trains on monorails are whisper quiet because the trains don’t touch the rails. They float above the rail using a magnetic field.”

Skybreeze peered at Hanz. “So you made this field without magic?”

“Ja, no magic. It ends up that some types of magic interferes with electricity. We do use other types of magic elsewhere. I will be the first to admit we had to do some work to make a box capable of powering up one subway car.”

Kim put his fork down. “Ms. Skybreeze. You are right to worry about the trains but we have a way beyond that. We just unplug the power box and connect it to the first car of the next train.”

Hanz waved his left claw. “Ja, with the protection of the Moon crew, we can ride to our destination. I assume that once you kill all of the caspers and zombies, the subway tunnel will be safe. Well, until we get to the part of the tunnel that goes under water.”

Skybreeze gasped. “What is wrong with the tunnel?”

Kim smiled. “It’s probably no big deal. We may have to turn on the pumps. I’m worried about how you are going to get out once we reach 161st street.”

Hanz, again, waved his right claw. “Ja, that might be a bit of a problem. The area around the train station is a mix of green and yellow zones. The sun is normal but there are more rogue Caspers and Sunscreamers about. Security is lax too. You do need notches but you won’t be scanned. Oh yeah, the underground subway station entrances and exits are sealed with metal plates.”

Kim nodded. “I don’t know how the plates work. They will keep the zombies from coming out but I don’t know how they stop the rogue caspers. I’ve seen them float through metal doors.”

Margot shook her head. “So we go to a train station and we can’t get out?”

Hanz stuck out his empty glass to trade it for a mojito. “Nein, you won’t be trapped inside. There will be a way out somewhere. Nothing that could faze such resourceful moon ponies.”

Far grimaced. “We aren’t from the moon.”

Hanz laughed. “Ja, you’re not from the Moon. Sorry if I offended you.”

Juan cantered up to Hanz. “Wherever you come from, there are ponies that need your help. When the Gleaners attacked, a group of zombies and caspers came out the subway entrance right outside.” He pointed to the wood covered station downstairs. “It was like a flood of green light that spread through the projects. Zombies followed chomping their jaws. At least locked doors kept some zombies out but the caspers...” Juan looked down for a moment.

Margot faced Juan. “I’m sorry for your loss.”

Juan nodded and went back to the kitchen.

Margot could see that the fur around his eyes was wet.

Skybreeze walked over to Margot. “I can help you make notches if you want.”

“Thanks.” Then Margot faced Hanz. “When the notches are done, we can get to work.”

Polo Grounds Projects
155th street station
Pre dawn

The sound of nails squealing echoed through the projects as two resistance ponies took apart the barricade over the train station. The sky was still dark.

Margot wasn’t sure it was really that dark or it was the goggles. When the sun rose, it was going to be black like the time when Apple Bloom was caught in its rays. Everypony wore heavy jackets and goggles to protect themselves from the sun.

Again she yawned. The night wasn’t restful. Margot had to make notches for Far’s group and LaShawn. Hanz and Kim weren’t going above ground. Then there was the guns and squabbling.

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo wanted guns but LaShawn put her hoof down. She grimaced. “I don’t think that fillies are old enough for guns. Let them enjoy their childhood.”

Scootaloo narrowed her eyes. “We’re old enough to handle anything!”

“Really?” LaShawn looked at Far.

Far looked at Margot.

She sighed. It was too late to fuss and fight. There was still more work to do. Juan’s jacket and goggles still needed to be scanned so Margot could understand how they protected ponies from the sun. None of the Resistance could explain how the magic worked.

Kim did magic but all he knew was engineering magic. Imbuing clothing using magic was outside his area of expertise.

Jerome stepped up to her rescue. “How about we deal with this tomorrow morning?”

LaShawn nodded. “Fine.”

Scootaloo shrugged.

Morning came too early for Margot. The last of the protective jackets and goggles got made but extra guns didn’t. The SHC had to go without guns. Now she had to deal with some stank eye from Scootaloo. Margot wasn’t really sure that the SHC were mature enough for guns.

Juan’s whispered “get ready” brought her out of her thoughts.

The resistance fighters tensed up and aimed their guns at the train station as the last planks were carried away from the entrance.

For a few seconds, everypony’s attention was focused down the stairs. Nothing stumbled forth from the dark doorway.

LaShawn looked back at Far. “Here’s the marching order. Far and I will go first. Margot and Skybreeze go next. The magic fillies-”

Apple Bloom interrupted LaShawn. “We ah the SHC, Sky Hoof Crusaders! Not magic fillies!”

LaShawn just continued. “The magic fillies go next followed by Hanz and Kim. Nga'Devro goes last.”

Far nodded and they went down the stairs into the station first.

LaShawn peered into the gloom. “Someone pass me a light. It’s totally dark here.”

Skybreeze focused and a blue white light flew from her horn into the station.

Far and LaShawn went deeper in.

Margot was surprised at how closely the station resembled the ones she had been in back home. Well, if it was lit and not used as a breeding place for monsters. The smell of rotting garbage and flesh hit her nose too. Rats squeaked and watched the intruders.

Skybreeze grimaced. “Wonderful.”

In front of Margot was a gate covered with rust and peeling white paint and to the right of that were four turnstiles that looked just as bad. Beyond the gate was a passageway that led to the subway platform.

Far pushed the door open and it screeched in protest.

LaShawn aimed her gun down the hall. The group went through the gate and down the hall. Their hoofsteps echoed.

Kim kept swiveling his head around. “I hope there are no zombie rats.”

Hanz sighed. “Nein, no zombie rats. Caspers don’t care for rats.”

When they reached the platform, Margot was surprised that it was clear of zombies. It seemed like all they had to do was power up the dark silver and white train and go. Then several zombies appeared from the dark area in front of the train. Other than the filthy clothing and shoes, they looked just like the Remnants from Equestria.

Far and LaShawn fired away at the zombies and they went down.

Several more zombies tried to attack them from the other side of the tracks but LaShawn and Far took them out.

Margot waited to see the green glow of a casper but none showed up.

For a few minutes everypony looked around and waited for another attack.

Far reloaded his gun and looked around again. “Looks like we got them all for now. Hanz and Kim, you should get this train going.”

Hanz and Kim walked up with a floating dark blue box that was as big as Apple Bloom. It was covered with displays and switches.

Kim walked up to the door and with a green flash from his horn, the door opened with a swishing sound. A breeze stinking of stale coffee and rotten pastries wafted out.

Hanz laughed. “We could never get riders to stop eating on the trains.”

Kim used his telekinesis to pull the box into the train. Then he went to the driver’s section up front.

Hanz went to the back of the car and started to unhook the cables. A few moments later, the lights inside the train flickered and came on. Bluish white light filled the car showing a pile of discarded donut boxes and coffee cups lying on blue and white seats.

Hanz nodded. “Ja, the control module works!”

Jerome yawned. “I could use some coffee right now.”

Skybreeze pointed to the trash in the subway car. “I’m quite sure you could get some coffee there. With a bit of fire magic, I could warm it up for you.”

Jerome grimaced. “Nah, I’m good.”

Kim’s voice came through the speakers on the train. “Everything seems okay. All aboard. Well, except for Hanz. He has to finish disconnecting the car.” All of the doors on the platform side opened.

Everypony got on the train except for Far and LaShawn.

Finally Hanz stepped into the train followed by LaShawn and Far.

Hanz rubbed his talons with glee. “Now for the smoke test!”

Skybreeze grimaced. “Smoke test?”

“Well, we made the power module based on blueprints and simulations. Until now, we never had access to a real subway car to test with. If the box doesn’t explode or do worse things, I will call this a success.” The car moved with a barely felt jerk.

If Margot didn’t see the columns on the platform slide to the right, she wouldn’t have known that the car was moving.

Apple Bloom watched the slow creep of the columns. “Why are we moving so slow?”

Hanz looked down at Apple Bloom. “Well, we don’t want to run into something on the tracks like another train. I don’t know where all of the trains are in this area either.”

Margot looked at the ads on the train, except for all of them having ponies in them it was almost like being back home in Manhattan.

Skybreeze walked up to Apple Bloom. “Since it’s going to be a long and slow ride. I would like to know how you and your friends became the SHC.”

Apple Bloom laughed. “It was no big deal, we were outside of town talking-”

Sweetie Belle interrupted. “We got chased out of town because we were trying to be Cutie Mark Crusader Performance Artists.”

Scootaloo smiled. “Yeah, like Gallopgher. We smashed some watermelons and some ponies didn’t like that.”

“We should have stayed, some ponies applauded,” Sweetie Belle replied.

Scootaloo pointed her left fore hoof at Sweetie. “Yeah, until the pony running the watermelon booth found out we didn’t have enough money.”

Apple Bloom looked down for a moment. “Sorry guys, ah forgot the money.”

Skybreeze sighed. “So what happened outside of town?”

Apple Bloom looked up. “Well, the Messenger of Oonte appeared and he told us that a great tribulation was going to overcome all Equestria. We could be the ones to lend aid to the helpless and hope to the hopeless.”

Kim cried out. “Zombies up ahead!”

Everypony tensed for combat.

Margot looked at the ceiling expecting the green glow of caspers.

A few moments later, Kim calmly said, “Zombie rail-kill now. We’ll need to hose off the front of the train.”

Hanz glanced at the control module then at the driver section. “I hope the tunnel section doesn’t have a lot of water. That will just make us wait while it’s pumped out.”

Skybreeze faced Apple Bloom again. “What happened next?”

“Ah’ll tell you later.”

The train stopped in the dark tunnel. Kim walked back to the passenger area. “There’s a train ahead of us. We will need some way to light up the tunnel while we transfer the control module to a new car.”

Skybreeze nodded and conjured up more lights then she moved them outside so they lit up the train in front and their area.

Far and LaShawn checked their guns.

Hanz touched a control on the box and a door opened.

Margot focused on scanning for caspers.

Kim hit some more controls on the box and the lights went out on the train.

Hanz faced the group. “I’m going to disconnect the control module. Some ponies must fight their way to the front if they have to. Kim, you’ll have to open the rear door.”

Kim sighed. “Fine. I can open the door from a distance.”
Far and LaShawn left the car.

Kim followed slowly after them.

Back on the dark train, Margot walked through the door and jumped down next to the rail. Gravel crunched under her hooves.

Kim glanced back at Margot then he faced forward again. “Okay, guys, I’m going to open the rear door. Get ready.” His horn glowed and the rear door swung open.

Then a zombie jumped out.

LaShawn and Far fired their guns almost at the same time.

The zombie collapsed onto the rail then slid down to the floor. Another zombie jumped out the door along with another one behind it.

Again, Far and LaShawn took them out.

Far hovered up to the rear door to see if more zombies were coming. He landed next to LaShawn with a grunt. “I don’t see any more zombies but that car is disgusting.”

Margot could smell rotten flesh and worse wafting out of the open door. It wasn’t a big problem, she had smelled worse when she went on missions for D-Core.

Kim’s horn flashed green and stairs appeared under the back door.

LaShawn checked her gun then climbed up the stairs slowly while looking for more zombies.

A few moments later, Far followed her.

Margot went up the stairs next. Her hooves rang dully against the metal.

The inside of the car was a scene of slaughter and worse. Blood was splattered everywhere. Gobbets of rotten flesh lay on the seats.

Kim climbed into the car and Margot was amazed to see how much green was in his face. He just kept gasping and putting his right fore hoof to his mouth to convince his food to stay down.

Margot figured that the smell of fresh vomit would improve the smell in the train car. She summoned a small light so Hanz or Kim could work with the control module. The light floated next to the closed door.

Kim panted some more. “This is just… Oh Celestia... “

Far traded glances with LaShawn.

She just shrugged.

The group walked forward until they met the next set of doors.

Margot was glad they were locked.

Kim managed to keep his food down and opened the door to the next subway car.

Again, some zombies attacked but were easily taken out. Four more subway cars and several dead zombies later, they reached the first subway car.

Kim still looked a bit green but he kept his breakfast down.

What they saw when the doors opened was a pretty pitiful and disgusting sight. A half eaten changeling zombie lay on the floor hissing and snapping. Its eyes were rotting holes but the creature’s wings still flapped.

Margot could see that the zombie’s rear legs were gone. Something had fed on the changeling so the back half was missing. Just a few ropey looking intestines slid along the floor as the creature dragged itself toward Far and LaShawn. A few shots later, the zombie changeling was truly dead.

Kim gasped then faced the wall of the tunnel before his breakfast exploded from his mouth. A few moments later he just kept dry heaving.

Margot walked up to Kim. “You have to stop that before you hurt something.” She hoofed through her saddlebags for some napkins for Kim.

He just kept wheezing while taking the napkins and wiping his mouth. “H-how do you handle this stuff?”

Margot just shrugged then went back through the train to get the rest of the team. She wasn’t looking forward to leading them through a gore filled subway train.

The rest of the team waited in front of the last car.

Hanz looked up. “Nein, I don’t like the smell. Is Kim alright?”

“Yes, he saw something he didn’t like but he will be fine.” Margot hoped that Hanz wouldn’t ask more questions.

Apple Bloom pointed at the two dead zombies. “We need to give them Oonte’s Grace.”

Margot nodded. “There are others that need it too.” Apple Bloom went over to do the ritual for the zombies.

Skybreeze and Jerome had grimaces while Nga'Devro seemed unfazed.

When Apple Bloom was done she returned to the group.

Margot sighed. “The next few subway cars are kinda messy. Just keep moving forward.”

Skybreeze laughed and Margot climbed the stairs into the subway car. She then walked to the first car. A few minutes later, she heard Jerome say that she was very good at understatement.

At the first car, Kim just stood with a queasy look on his face.

LaShawn and Far watched the back warily.

Margot walked up to Kim. He stunk of vomit.

Skybreeze saw the changeling zombie. “Well, this is foul looking. Why is it still here?”

Margot pointed at the zombie. “It needs Oonte’s Grace.”

“Fine, then it’s gone.”

The rest of the team entered the subway car.

Nga'Devro hissed then stepped around the body.

Margot noticed that the fur around Scootaloo’s mouth was wet.

Hanz’s reaction was the most interesting. He crossed himself then said, “Twilight Sparkle preserve us in our time of need!”

Sweetie Belle did the ritual for the changeling.

Nga'Devro’s horn glowed as he levitated the body off of the car and into the tunnel.

Skybreeze looked around the gore covered car. “Well, I refuse to ride without cleaning up some of this this disgusting stuff. I know what you are going to say Margot. We don’t have enough power to waste on cleaning supplies. I will give you power so you don’t have to use yours.”

Nga'Devro nodded. “Nga'Devro will also donate some power to help with cleaning up.”

Margot shrugged, it wasn’t worth it to fuss with Skybreeze and Nga'Devro. “Fine.” She pulled power from the donors to make cleansing wipes. A few moments later, Margot summoned some plastic bags so the cleaners would have a place to put dirty wipes and the flesh that was lying on some seats.

Even Hanz joined the cleaners before Kim shakily pointed at the control module.

Hanz nodded. “Ja. Time is growing short.” It took a few moments before the driver’s door opened. Nothing stumbled out.

Kim went into the driver area to hook up the control module while Hanz went to the back of the subway car to disconnect it.

Far went with Hanz.

After a few minutes, the subway car seemed cleaner. Margot could still smell blood but nothing could be done about that. The whole car would have to be deep cleaned before the stench of blood was gone.

Once Hanz and Far returned, Kim turned on the lights and the train moved on slowly down the tunnel.

The darkness outside mirrored Margot’s mood. At first she felt justified for being annoyed at Skybreeze but then she wondered if she was losing her humanity. To sit in a train filled with the flesh of the unfortunate and not want to do something felt wrong. Another thought suggested that Margot needed some time to rest properly. So far, it seemed like she was going from one mission to another without any rest. The amount of fear in Kim’s voice brought her out of her thoughts.

“G-guys. S-something is coming up,” Kim said.

Green light shone into the subway car. It was definitely not an oncoming train.

Margot felt this was something worse. She jumped to the floor and yelled. “Get close to the floor! Caspers are coming. Kim, get over here.”

Kim didn’t need any more urging. He stopped the train then ran to Margot.

Green tentacles grew from the ceiling of the car and reached down at them.

Kim lay flat on the floor and screamed. “They’re gonna get us!”

Hanz on the other hoof howled curses at the glowing foes.

Margot wished she could give Hanz something to fight the caspers with but she didn’t have anything. Physical attacks would only affect a few caspers. For the next moments, she just focused on blocking spells and firing back.

The SHC started chanting and a blue shield formed over the group. That gave them some respite but then the shield shattered into blue fading shards.

A green tendril reached into the control module. Its displays started to flash red.

Hanz pointed at the control module. “Somebody do something. If that module explodes, it will go badly for us.”

Nga'Devro sent some bursts of energy at the tendril while the SHC conjured up another shield. It cut off the tendril and the box’s lights stopped flashing red.

Kim kept howling.

Margot thought she sensed a flash of power from Jerome and Kim stopped screaming. After what seemed like hours, the tendrils stopped flailing away at them. She sent one more lightning blast that knocked off some ceiling tiles that rattled against the roof of the subway car.

Hanz walked over to Kim who was still lying on the floor. He opened his eyes. “Are they?”

Hanz nodded. “Ja. Now we work.”

Kim walked over to the control module. “The casper damaged some parts but we have enough power to continue.” He looked up and faced the rest of the group. “I’m sorry. I don’t know any offensive spells.”

“Don’t worry,” Far said.

Apple Bloom yawned. “Praise be to Oonte.” Then she slumped down to the floor next to Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo.

Jerome looked at the SHC then at LaShawn. “Ya know, next time they want guns. You should give them guns. They earned it.” The train sped up as it flew down the tunnel while Margot debated if she could take a quick nap. Finally she decided to give it a shot.

PreviousChapters Next