• Published 16th Oct 2017
  • 422 Views, 4 Comments

Gleaner Chronicles: American Monsters - sevenofeleven



A group of ponies from Equestria travel to a world that’s a strange combination of Equestria and Earth to rescue Rarity and Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
4
 4
 422

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Thirteen: Night with a friend and the invisible flying mini bus

Rooftop
Late Evening

Margot awoke to the smell of asphalt and the cool touch of breezes. Hoof beats approached her.

A familiar voice spoke. “Are you alright Margot?”

She opened her eyes to see Skybreeze looking down at her with a nervous look on her face. “I think I hear helicopters in the distance.”

Margot nodded and looked around. The sky was clear. Most of the buildings she saw were dark. In another time, the buildings would be ablaze with orange or other colored lights streaming out of the windows. She headed toward the roof exit with Skybreeze following her.

Skybreeze used her telekinesis to open the door and with a squeak of unoiled hinges, it opened.

Margot expected that the door would be locked. Inside, stairs led down. A quick scan for life signs just showed pigeons on the next floor. She hoped this time the poor birds would keep their home.

Skybreeze picked an apartment away from the pigeons. “I don’t like the smell of those disgusting birds.”

Margot stuck her muzzle at the bottom of the door. She was relieved to not smell anything dead or alive. Within a moment, the locks were picked and they were inside.

Margot summoned a limited range light. Anyone that looked into the apartment wouldn’t see the light. For Margot and Skybreeze, the apartment would be lit.

“I don’t know how much I can take of this world. It’s like Equestria but then it’s so unlike Equestria. Gleaners have done such terrible things here. I hope when we go back, they aren’t up to the same tricks,” Skybreeze said as they entered the kitchen. Unlike the first apartment they went to, this one didn’t have any food except for a bulging can of peaches.

Skybreeze peered at the table. It was covered with a fine layer of dust. “Maid’s day off?”

Margot focused and summoned up some bowls with greens and some water. They ate quietly while listening for approaching helicopters.

Skybreeze looked up from her meal. “Do you think we should look for the others?”

“Yes but how? Remember what LaShawn said about the MA? They’ll go nuts if one of their own is killed. We let three die,” Margot said then yawned.

Skybreeze took a drink. “I know this isn’t the right time to ask about this but what should we do about going to the bathroom?”

Margot shrugged. “Use the shower. The toilets don’t work because the apartment isn’t powered up. Before we leave, I will burn what’s there.”

Skybreeze frowned. “Paranoid much, Margot?”

Margot yawned again. “It’s not paranoia if they’re out to get you. Burning our waste prevents them from tracking us.”

“Where will we sleep?”

“Well, since most of the rooms have windows and the bathroom is out. I suggest the hallway. We sleep near the door in case we have to get out fast.” Margot said.

Skybreeze sighed. “I already miss my blanket on the cold floor of the garage. I could almost smell the ghosts of cars past.”

Margot looked up from the last of her meal. “Really?”

Skybreeze shook her head. “No.”

After cleaning up using some water Margot conjured up. They went to sleep in the hallway.

A few hours later, Margot was awoken by the pressure of Skybreeze’s hooves squeezing her middle like she was a stuffed toy. Before she could say something, she heard the helicopters. A bright blue-white light shone into the windows. The light covered the area of the living room like it was looking for something. Then it went up the hallway. Margot hoped it wouldn’t reveal them.

For a moment, she imagined MA enforcers sliding down ropes and smashing through the windows… Margot shook her head to clear it.

The spotlight crawled about a few inches up to them before going back down the hall. It seemed to be an eternity before the helicopters flew away.

“You can stop squeezing now,” Margot said.

“Sorry. Should we leave now?” Skybreeze said. She stopped squeezing Margot.

“And run into something in the dark? No. We wait for morning,” Margot said after a large yawn.

Morning arrived quicker than she expected. Margot again wished she had some time to get more sleep but Skybreeze started squeezing her again.

“Really? You swing that way?” Margot said.

Skybreeze pulled back her hooves from Margot’s body. “Sorry, it’s been awhile since I slept with somepony.”

Margot shook her head. “Let’s get out of here. We can eat later.”

Skybreeze just nodded.

After Margot cleaned the bathroom shower and cast a spell that would scramble their DNA then she led Skybreeze out of the apartment. A moment later the door was locked. Margot and Skybreeze slowly went down the stairs. At every step their ears swiveled to find sounds. Margot was creeped out that there wasn’t any birds chirping or singing. They were about to approach the lobby when they heard voices.

“Are you sure they’re here?” said the first voice.

“Momma Delphi said so. She’s rarely wrong,” the second voice said.

“The MA is so mad. I wonder what they will do to the Bronx?” first voice said.

Skybreeze glanced at Margot.

Margot looked back. “They might be friendly.”

Skybreeze shrugged then checked her gun. They crossed the lobby and went outside.

A white pegasus and a zebra were waiting for them.

“No time for intros, we got to get you to your meeting with your homies. Momma Delphi thanks you for your help,” the zebra said.

Margot looked at the zebra. “Who is Momma Delphi?”

The white pegasus snorted. “Momma Delphi sees the future like you see down the block. She knew that you would come though she was a bit fuzzy with your apartment number and floor. Also she knows that you’re here to rescue a friend.”

“Will we meet this Momma Delphi?” Skybreeze said.

The white pegasus shook his head. “No. You have too much work and very little time. She does wish you well on your mission.”

They followed the zebra to the car. It drove north. While the scenery scrolled past, the pegasus turned on the radio.

“This is Mayor DeBlaze. Several terrorists blew up a research lab in Harlem last evening. We lost several scientists and three brave guards. The MA pledges to find those responsible and bring them to justice. Any pony or other creature found guilty of helping the terrorists will also be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Any ponies or other creatures with information are invited to call the helpline. That’s 1 800-” The zebra turned off the radio.

The zebra shook his head. “Told ya they wouldn’t confess that they were working on something to make foals and other ponies sick.”

The white pegasus shrugged. “I remember when there was sports or comedy or even news. Real news, not the crap propaganda that the MA dishes out. Don’t forget to pay your life tax. If you see something, say something.”

The zebra grinned. “Whatever.”

After watching the scenery scroll by for a bit, Margot wondered about the hospital. “Guys, did Lincoln hospital survive the explosion?”

The zebra looked back at Margot. “Yeah. The top two floors are a mess, but the lower floors are fine. All of the sick ponies and creatures started to recover. Also the docs started working on a cure.”

Margot smiled. At last, a bit of good news. She sat back and watched the scenery pass by, until she saw Manny waiting outside a beige brick building with tall thin windows. Margot and Skybreeze got out.

The zebra waved goodbye then the car took off down the block.

Manny grinned. “You kicked them good in the cojones, um, balls. Now they are frickin mad.” He led them inside where the SHC, Hanz, Kim and the rest of the group waited.

Margot noticed that LaShawn looked kinda sad.

Even the SHC looked tired.

Margot walked up to the SHC. “Are you okay Scootaloo?”

Scootaloo nodded. “Yep, I can breathe normally now.”

LaShawn walked up. “We have to head south as soon as we can. I found out from resistance groups in Chelsea that they have an unicorn that could help us spoof the notches. He’s kinda eccentric but if you can work with him maybe we can get notches. You know, you won’t be able to approach the Eyesore Building without notches. The guards will shoot on sight.”

Margot nodded. “Fine, let’s go. Wait, I have a question. We ran into some ponies who said that Momma Delphi sent them. What do you know about her?”

“Momma Delphi is some pony who can see the future. At least the big picture. She’s kinda fuzzy on the details. When you arrived, I had a four block area to search before I found you. With her help, the resistance has managed to avoid MA traps,” LaShawn said.

Hanz looked at the orange light coming through the windows. Behind him power generators loomed over the group like sleeping giants. “Ja, that is one pretty sunset going on out there. We, my friends are in Power Substation eleven. In case the main generators fail or need more power, the substations would be turned on. That’s ancient history now. Downstairs there is a short tunnel that leads to a platform where I hope a track exploration car is. In the past, the car was used to inspect track and to do repairs. We should probably expect that there will be things down there.”

Kim grimaced.

Margot just shrugged.

They left the room and headed downstairs.


10th Avenue and 57th
Apt 6C

It had been so long since Margot had slept in a bed. Not on the floor or on a carpet. A bed with covers and a pillow. The best part was that the bed was all hers. She didn’t have to share it with a squeezy pony or anypony. A resistance member knocked on the door to remind Margot to get up.

She barely remembered how they got here. They killed a bunch of zombies and caspers underneath the power substation. The repair car was where Hanz said it was. Margot remembered the sad looks on Hanz and Kim’s faces as they said goodbye. From there it was a quick train ride back to Manhattan. Resistance members with two vans picked up the group and drove them south to this building. The Lower West side resistance group had control of the whole building. Everypony in Far’s group had their own apartment or at least their own bedroom to sleep in. Margot left the apartment and met LaShawn in the hallway.

“Good morning,” Margot said.

There was a pause before LaShawn replied.

“Is everything okay?” Margot said.

LaShawn stopped walking. “Remember Marko?”

“Yeah, his group got hit hard by the MA.”

“Well, he and his remaining homies hit the garage. We lost...” LaShawn trailed off.

“I’m so sorry,” Margot said.

LaShawn looked away for a moment then faced Margot. “Burnie and Digit survived. I don’t understand why I keep losing friends and family while I’m away working. It doesn’t seem fair.”

Margot just nodded. She didn’t really know what to say.

LaShawn looked away again then back. “Well, duty calls. I’m gonna make sure you get the info you need to make notches, and then I’ll help you get your friend. I’ve lost too many to the gleaner bastards not to do something to return the favor.”

“Apologies but what happened to Marko and his homies?” Margot said.

A cold look flashed across LaShawn’s face. “Lin and Lenny took out Marko before they died and the other members of my group took out Marko’s homies. It’s over. No more worries about Marko. Let’s get some food and get to work.”

A bright yellow pegasus stallion ran up to them. He was so excited his wings were partially unfurled. “Name’s Nestor C. Just follow me and we can get some breakfast.” He pointed down the hall with his left forehoof.

What he had hanging around his neck caught Margot’s eye. It was a gold crucifix with a purple figure.

Nestor trotted down the hall while LaShawn and Margot followed.

“Don’t worry Maggie, we’re almost at the end,” LaShawn said.

Margot just nodded.

Nestor knocked twice at a door and it opened.

Inside, there was a wooden large table made of sections. Margot was looking forward for something nice but the boxes of cereal dashed that hope. Then again, it’s better than having nothing. She took a seat next to Apple Bloom. LaShawn sat next to Margot. Most of the group was already seated but nopony was eating yet.

Nestor moved to the head of the table. “Bless us O Twilight Sparkle for this bounty that you have seen fit to bestow upon us. May it nourish us so we can spread your word. Amen. Ok, now I will get the bowls and spoons and of course the milk. I wish we had fruit fresh or dried but we couldn’t find any at this time. Please enjoy your breakfast. After that we will discuss getting you to lower Manhattan.”

The boxes of cereal showed how this world was like and so unlike her home world. The box of cornflakes looked like the one she had at home.

Jerome pointed at the sun on the Raisin Bran box. “Now that’s a sun I like!” That caused a bunch of ponies to laugh. Then there was the box of Breezy Charms. Instead of a leprechaun, there was a bunch of fairy looking ponies. From what Margot could see from looking inside Apple Bloom’s bowl, there were the same marshmallow and oat shapes. Again she was losing interest in this world and wanted to be gone. Even Equestria was better.

She filled up her bowl with some granola and poured some milk into the bowl.

Skybreeze began to grumble.

Margot wondered why until she tasted the milk. It was powdered milk. Something that tasted more like water with a bit of milk in it. She shrugged. At least they had something to eat to start the day.

After everypony was done, Nestor had the bowls and boxes taken away. He fixed every pony with his red gaze. “Ok, so this is what we know now. Security has been increased around the Eyesore building but we can still get you in. Security has also been increased around the forty second street checkpoint. Trips to the Bronx have been postponed. Do you guys got ideas how to get past the gate?”

Skybreeze raised a forehoof. “How about we take the underground route? Take a subway?”

Nestor shook his head. “Nope. Those areas are sealed off and are full of caspers and zombies. Who knows what sort of tricks the MA has in the tunnels? Grand Central is the main security center for this area.”

Nga'Devro raised a forehoof. “Nga'Devro wonders if we could fly and somehow not be visible.”

Nestor stuck his left forehoof under his chin. “Maybe but there will be a lot of eyes and spells at the gates. Oh yeah, besides the fact that the MA is increasing security, some members of the resistance are pushing for striking the MA hard. Eya Sore has pissed off a lot of ponies with her sculptures. They’re made of contorted ponies. The artsy nag doesn’t hide the fact that she is the cause of some missing ponies. You might want to get down there as soon as you can before somepony blows up the building.”

Far grimaced. “How can a pony blow up a building?”

Nestor shrugged. “Get some fertilizer add some chemicals and lots of gas and KABOOM! You don’t need magic. It also is possible to remote control a truck so you don’t need a martyr. A garbage truck is a good choice.”

Skybreeze frowned. “Are you planning to do something?”

Nestor just smiled. “Let’s get back on track. How are you guys getting past the gate?”

LaShawn raised a forehoof. “How about going around? Flying over the water and then landing in a park several blocks south.”

Nestor pointed at LaShawn. “Alright, that might work. The MA has air patrols over both rivers but if you can slip past them and land on the ground, you should be okay.”

Far partially unfurled his wings. “That’s a lot of flying.”

Margot raised her right forehoof. “How about we take a vehicle and put some stealth and levitation spells on it. We fly out to the river almost to Jersey. That should keep us out of the checkpoint’s scanning range. Then we land below forty-second street.”

Nestor nodded. “Yeah, that would work. Again you have to worry about the air patrols.”

“We will need a safe place to land without anypony noticing,” Margot said.

“No problem. We will tell you where to land,” Nestor said.

Margot faced Skybreeze then Nga'Devro. “I will need a lot of your power to get this to work.”

Nga'Devro nodded. “Nga'Devro will allow you to use as much as you need.”

Skybreeze also nodded. “No problem and maybe I can help with the spells.”

Sweetie Belle raised her right fore hoof. “I want to help too!”

Skybreeze smiled. “We can use your help too.”

Nestor looked around at the ponies sitting at the table. “Good, I will get the money for Horace Williams, the pony that will help you hack the notches. Let’s get to it!” He got up and left the table.


10th Avenue and 57th
Downstairs Garage

Margot looked at the mini bus that Nestor gave her. The white and blue bus was large enough for the whole team and LaShawn. There was even some extra space for some stuff. She planned to put the levitation-stealth device in the back. Again Margot wished that she had a lab so she could make more sophisticated equipment. What she finally made with Skybreeze’s help was good enough, but not very energy efficient. The constant drain on their magic would be heavy. It wasn’t like she had a lot of time to come up with a better design.

Nestor’s hint had made her work faster. It would suck with a capital ‘S’ if the Eyesore building was blown up before they saved Rarity. She took a few calming breaths. First, she had to get them to 12th avenue and 30th street without draining all of her magic. The sound of hoofsteps made her turn around.

Nga'Devro nodded. “Nga'Devro wishes to know if it’s time to go?”

“Yes,” Margot said then she opened the back door. A small black box followed her. This device controlled the stealth and levitation fields. Margot sat in the back with the box in her forehooves.

The rest of the team filed into the mini bus. Nga'Devro, Skybreeze and Sweetie Belle sat near Margot. Jerome had volunteered some of his power, but Margot wanted him to be on standby in case they needed to persuade some ponies.

When all of the group was in the mini bus LaShawn looked back.

Margot nodded.

Nestor banged on the bus. “Twilight Sparkle be with you! Land at 12th avenue and 30th street. We will clear that area of onlookers.”

Skybreeze frowned. “Too bad Twilight Sparkle isn’t with us now.”

Margot focused and the device started up. The mini bus floated up.

Nestor yelled. “Wow! The bus is gone! Get that garage door open!” The garage door opened with a shriek and clatter and several ponies walked outside. The mini bus followed them then it took off.

Margot watched as Apple Bloom smiled as the buildings floated by. It would have been a nice trip except for the drain caused by keeping the spells going.

Already Sweetie Belle was starting to pant. “Um, wow, huh, huh. I feel so weak.”

Margot had set the spell to only drain a certain amount of power from Sweetie. Now, they were floating over the Hudson river heading south. The spell stopped draining Sweetie when the bus turned back toward Manhattan. Then the levitation spell started pulling more power than Margot was expecting.

Skybreeze began to slump in her seat. “Margot, I think there’s a problem with your spells.” The bus began to fall. Water was splashing against the wheels.

Even Nga'Devro’s eyes were half closed.

LaShawn looked back. “Maggie, unless you are going to turn us into seaponies, you need to keep the bus out of the water.”

A huge wave of weariness threatened to overwhelm Margot. It would feel so great to just sleep and forget everything. She focused and the bus jerked upward. The wheels barely missed the edge of the pier as it headed toward the fenced in parking lot. Somehow she got the bus to land in the lot and turned off the stealth field.

Somepony banged on the bus. “Area’s clear. You can leave now!”

LaShawn looked back. “Everypony ready for a ride south?” A chorus of moans came from the back as the bus left the parking lot.

PreviousChapters Next