• Published 18th Oct 2017
  • 504 Views, 0 Comments

Finding My Light - RuneSeek



What's a unicorn who can't control their magic to do?

  • ...
 0
 504

Chapter One

Author's Note:

So this is chapter one of I hope to be a five part story to come! Some of the main cannons do act a little out of shape, so don't go all super fan on me for that. I will be looking for a beta reader to help me out on this story and flush it out more in the errors and such things!

The graceful writing in the book flowed over the pages under her eyes as the lights only cast her shadow over the gold leaf print. Eyes moving in the flow of the spell calling the light of the setting sun to be captured and held in a fire ruby while the full light moon was to be in a white diamond as it rose from the east.

It was one of the older types of spells calling for many things and small steps in using items to get the end result. Mostly it was the kind of detail magic she loved in trying out and research in the pull of being a student and study back as she been in the capture of just making magic! Sunburst had sent her back some books from his personal library a few weeks ago in the mail after they had once more become friends and having known Starlight Glimmer as a filly, knew the type of detailed magic and love of Alchemy.

Biting her cheek, and looking at the cloak in timing the sunset was a must to get the right light and it was only 30 minutes away! Spike had said he would be back by now from hunting down the gems for the unicorn mare by now, hadn't he? Yes, she was a bit worried but Spike had never once let her down even on her day one of making Twilight's castle into something of a home. Hades, he had been one of the first in her memory just to offer friendship without thinking in the moment of what she had done in her past.

The spell was to be an illusion of the light sort, remaking the gentle dancing northern lights for a party planned by one Pinkie Pie. It was for one of the bat-pony families that moved to Ponyvillie and their first little filly was turning six and wished to see the northern lights of all things! Twilight could have done it in a flash of her gifted magic but was now in the Crystal Empire to help her sister in law and brother in ruling so they had more time for filly Flurry Heart and a bit of needed break from duties of the crown.

Hearing the heavy door move, the knowing sound of claws on the crystal floor that made up the castle. Taking the moment to breathe in adding in the last drop sunflower oil to the brew, Starlight smiled in the sounds of welcome and a break. "Hey Starlight, sorry I took so long! I ran into Rarity while just on my way here and had to nearly hide to keep her away from these gems!" Spike's cheerfully boyish voice bounced off the walls yet also the caught weariness of his meeting.

Shaking her mane, the unicorn only rolled her eyes into much knowing, "Least you got away in the nick of time Spike! The sun's about to set in moments and the timing has to be right! Also thanks for doing this Spike! I don't think I could do all this on my own!"

Smiling in some way that made him seem older and a shrug of knowing in looking at and pulling out the gems to sit on the oak table next to the spell books. "No worries Star! You know I like helping and given you said you would help me in my fire magic makes us even!"

Glimmer only held that knowing smiling she had come to share with the youthful dragon! Spike had become a good and loyal friend to her, making her feel she had nothing to hide from his bright but knowing eyes that many seemed to miss. He was an old soul if any she had come to call friend yet youthful and edger also at the same time. She had found it strange in how the other ponies he called friend mostly treated as if a colt finding his legs! Yes, Spike looked young but dragons aged differently than ponies did and his events in his life in staying by Twilight's side had grown his soul older than his body showed for now.

Clawed digits reached out, pouring the two friends a cold drink in the heat of the summer building around them. The castle was cool most the time yet this room was full of light and things would grow room even in adding the heat of magic in using light and fire and other needed things for the spell to work out.

Smiling, Glimmer reached out her magic as the emerald aura capture the glass of cold water. Yet it felt more strained in some ways, not thinking in too much in lifting the simple weight of water and glass to bring close to her lips to sip in a needed break of the moment from the spell weaving. Then, her magic just seemed to sip from her mental grasp as it went to slip in the pull of earth!

Clawed hands reached in an immediate speed as the young drake grab the glass in mid-air as the magic just faded away in moments. Emerald eyes looked to the unicorn mare as something of a shock crossed her face for the moment in seeing her magic just go poof in a moment. Spike also was a bit shocked to see Starlights magic just fade away as if nothing.

Star blinked as a blush covered her cheeks, "Thanks, Spike, sorry about that!

He smiled, having seen when even Twilight had pushed herself to the point her magic just flickered out. "I think you just wore yourself out Star. So no worries and I think a break is called in for a bit."

Spike seemed to have a natural understanding of things given his long time with Twilight, but it was a personal embarrassment for a unicorn of any normal skill to lose their magic control just as she had. Only youths new to magic would do that and even more for her being a student to a princess.

"But I need too....."

Holding up a claw to silence his friend, he only smiled in coming over and reading the spell book with keen eyes of knowing. "Look, I can the sun and moon thing for you! Its just simple placement, a few words, and boom!"

Smiling, a faint glow of happiness and love lingered in her soul of Spike just well, Spike. He just seemed to do things and understand many things others missed in his age. Hell, some ponies who claimed to be adult always missed the tiny things leading to the bigger picture sadly, even Princess Twilight. Yet her worry had been the loss of her magic given it was not the last time such a thing had to happen....

Last few weeks, Starlight had lost control in the simplest use of Telekinesis magic, well as like the glass, her magic just slipped away! At first, the mare had thought it was just pressure or being worn out or just her nerves in getting used to this new place in life after everything just built up! It made sense psychology her mind and nerves had reached a point of breaking! Which would affect her control of her magic but, it was happening to many times for the mare to feel uneasy in herself.

Casting a look, Spike saw his friend bite her cheek in her eyes full of worry she had not shared a word to any pony or him at all. Notably, the drake never pushed some pony too much but he had seen Starlight have this look before. She always seemed now to push herself in helping her new found friends and Twilight as much as it seemed to stress and tax her and it worried Spike more than he had said. Yes, Starlight was full on the grown mare who could take care but a lot of things had changed in her world very fast.

"Hey Star....."

Dragged from her thoughts, she looked at Spike with a tight smile, "Yeah Spike?"

Smiling in a tilt to his head, he shrugged, "You ever need to talk, I'm always here kay?"

Simple, she just walked over and hugged him with a leg around the drake's shoulders in no words. He only learned in for the moment of her warm hug and lightly returned it as they both took in the moment of being friends.

She left Spike, trusting in his abilities to finish up the spell and gems. Starlight made her way to her room in the soft light of sun fading away and the night coming in. The bed was a bit unmade given she just tend to roll out and in some strange hours of sleeping.