• Published 16th Oct 2017
  • 1,620 Views, 23 Comments

Sword Skills - Rose Quill



Sunset and Twilight take part in a new form of recreation with their friends.

  • ...
1
 23
 1,620

The World of Swords.

I felt the hilt shiver in my grip as I blocked the blow from the massive monster's sword. I skidded backwards and I heard Sunset cry out "Switch!"

I dove to the side as she flew in, leaping into the air and unleashing a blinding fast torrent of strikes with her rapier. The monster staggered, its sword glowing with a blue sheen as it swung it down in a hammer blow. Sunset hopped backward nimbly and held her narrow sword at the ready.

"One more rush, Twilight," she said, hand tightening around her sword grip. "You go low, and I'll go high."

I nodded, taking a firm grip on the black sword held in my hand as we charged forward, my horn charging up. I could see the yellow-red of Sunset's horn as she leapt up and landed on a platform of solid magic for a moment before launching herself at the towering monster's chest as I swept in with a spinning double cut to its legs.

The monster staggered back and burst into a cloud of smoke, leaving just the two of us in the room as a chest appeared. I flicked my sword before sheathing it across my back, turning to my wife as she slid her rapier back into its scabbard.

"Well, that was fun," I said. "I hope it dropped that spell tome this time."

Sunset nodded. "We've been after that thing for a week for Fluttershy," she said, brushing her red and gold hair back. "It'd be nice to have good news for her this time."

We approached the chest and opened it, the contents instantly being stored in our inventory. I skimmed the list and smiled when I saw the item Spell Tome of Healing, Lvl 5 tucked neatly in it's alphabetized spot.

"Victory," I smiled, holding up two fingers. Sunset copied my sign and grinned.

"Let's head back to town," she said. "It's getting kind of late, and we could stand to have AJ do some repairs to our gear."

I nodded, lacing the fingers of my hands behind my head as we walked out of the boss gates and headed for the entrance to the small castle.


"Oh thank you," Fluttershy said, the winged mare clutching the book to her chest as she smiled. "This will let me raise my healing skill another level. Thank you so much for getting it, I'm sorry if it was any trouble."

"Nah," I said. "We both outranked the boss by a few levels so it wasn't like we were in danger of dying. It's just got an annoying drop rate. You should have seen the amount of junk we had to offload to the vendors before meeting up."

"Nice bit of gold earned, though," Sunset said. "And I'm sure Applejack was happy to work on her Blacksmithing skill some more."

Fluttershy was already reading the book. My wife reached over and elbowed me in the ribs.

"I thought you were the bookworm," she giggled.

"Not in here," I said. "In here, I'm the enigmatic Black Swordsmare."

She giggled again. "I'm having so much fun I almost forget where we really are," she said, glancing down at our hooved feet. "I mean, we get limited spells and amazing sword skills, but dying means that's it. No more Black Swordsmare, no more Lightning Flash."

I reached over and rubbed her shoulder. "Try not to think about it," I said. "We play with a fairly large safety margin. Nothing more than ten levels below us in soloing or pairs, and nothing more than five below us in raid parties. We're two of the stronger players, and with our friends, we have an amazing group. Fluttershy providing healing, Rainbow and Rarity for crowd control, and I'm still amazed Celestia and Luna decided to play as well. Celestia is immovable with that shield defence of hers and Luna is outright devastating with her axe. I'm glad we always fought on the same side."

She nodded. "You're right," she said. "It's just Pinkie and Starlight..."

I looked down. Those two had died shortly after the game had started after some ill-fated encounters in the world. Their characters - a bard and a sorceress - were gone forever.

A hand slapped down on my shoulder as Rainbow slid up, her belt and bandolier of throwing knives giving her an intimidating appearance.

"Don't look so long in the muzzle, girls," she said. "I just got a hot tip about an amazing encounter on level 74. You aren't going to believe the loot drops." She pulled up a list of possible drops and I stared as I saw a high-level sword listed.

"You want to go, don't you?" Sunset teased.

Still looking at the sword's stats, I smiled wolfishly.

"Come to momma," I whispered.