• Published 20th Sep 2017
  • 805 Views, 30 Comments

Rabbit Tracks - Krickis



An anthology of short stories and flash fictions. You've seen these before and know what to expect.

  • ...
3
 30
 805

The Dilemma (Rarity x OC) (Hoofclid & Friends)

Author's Note:

Based on this post by my good friend Hoofclid. If you're unfamiliar with his blog, you're doing yourself a disservice; do give it a read!

The whole thing was just a little bizarre. Fluttershy was left looking around, not entirely sure she had heard correctly. Rarity was standing in front of her in full panic mode, waiting for Fluttershy’s reaction, and all she could think to say was, “Uhm, what?”

Rarity forced her composure by taking a deep breath. When she repeated herself, she did so much more calmly. “Dear sweet Buckler has asked me on a date. And I have simply no idea what to do about this!”

That was what Fluttershy had thought Rarity had said, and it made just as little sense the second time around. Fluttershy, who had been doing a bit of gardening, set her spade to the side and stood up to better talk to her friend. “Why don’t we go inside for some tea? Then you can tell me the whole story.”

Rarity nodded, so the two of them went into the cottage. As Fluttershy brewed them some tea, Rarity spoke, and details became ever so slightly clearer.

She explained how Buckler had come to her blushing, a bouquet of roses in his mouth to woo his lady. Once Rarity had taken the flowers and allowed him to speak, Buckler had gingerly explained to her that he had not thought to court one of the princess’s friends, fearing it may interfere with his duty to Twilight.

“And then the way he spoke!” Rarity placed a hoof on her brow. “You would not know it, but the sweet boy does have a poetic side to him.”

Fluttershy served Rarity her tea, placing the sugar in reach of her friend so she could sweeten it to her taste. Rarity often chose how much sugar to add based on her mood, so Fluttershy had learned this was better than trying to serve her. This time, she added double her usual amount. Fluttershy sat across and did not comment.

“So he asked you on a date.”

“Yes, and oh how he asked.” Rarity sighed wistfully. “I wish I could repeat it to you, Fluttershy dear. He told me that he was captivated by my beauty, which would have been nice, but then he elaborated that he meant the beauty of my soul. I hardly know what to say.”

The situation became more clear, but there was still one bit of confusion. Just one thing that Fluttershy could not understand. Before they got to that, she asked, “So what did you say?”

“Well, I told him I would think of it, of course.” Rarity spoke as if that was obvious, but it only confused Fluttershy more. “That is simply how these things are done.”

Fluttershy thought back to her enthusiastic “Yes!” that she had given Applejack when she was first asked on a date, and she found herself in disagreement with Rarity about how things were done. She didn’t comment on that either.

Instead, she sipped on her tea. “I see. So how long are you going to make him wait before giving an answer? You know he’s probably worried sick.”

“I assure you that I will only leave the poor thing waiting as long as it takes me to figure out how to answer him.”

That was just what Fluttershy was confused about. This time, however, she did decide to comment. “You’ve, uhm, you’ve been flirting with him since he got here.”

Rarity blinked. “Oh dear, you’re right… You don’t think… he wouldn’t…” The unicorn busied herself with her tea.

“Uhm, I don’t know what you mean…”

Rarity took a deep breath. “Well, you know… It’s like he said, he is Twilight’s guard. I had always assumed it was a bit of fun, with him being so unobtainable. I had assumed he knew this as well, and…”

“I see. So you don’t want to accept?”

“Well now, I hardly said that I should think.”

Fluttershy quirked her head to the side. “So you do want to?”

“Let us not jump to any conclusions.”

Fluttershy closed her eyes and mimicked Rarity’s earlier deep breath. “Rarity. Do you want to date him or don’t you?”

“I…” Rarity looked around the room nervously. “I’ve never, uhm, been on a date, you know?”

Fluttershy knew that, of course. Rarity was among her best friends, but at times she had forgotten. Rarity was so confident at all times, and she did flirt with a number of ponies. But, Fluttershy knew, it was usually with ponies like Buckler; ponies that were unavailable.

Understanding began to sink in. “I see. So then, are you just afraid?”

“Well…” Rarity took a deep breath. “Yes. I am afraid. But because of that, I haven’t really considered it. So I’m not sure.”

“Okay. Then let’s consider it now. Would you like to go on a date with Buckler?”

Rarity was quiet for a moment, then she spoke slowly. “Well, I think that…”