• Published 20th Sep 2017
  • 804 Views, 30 Comments

Rabbit Tracks - Krickis



An anthology of short stories and flash fictions. You've seen these before and know what to expect.

  • ...
3
 30
 804

Acting Strange (Rarijack)

Author's Note:

Based on the picture by Druggyderp. I might do a follow up to this someday. Edit: Nah, that’s not happening.

“As lovely as this visit has been, I suppose it’s time I get out of your hair.”

“No need to leave on my account. I don’t have anything else planned for the day.”

That caught Apple Bloom’s attention. She quickly finished sweeping up the kitchen, then walked as quietly as she could towards where her sister and Rarity were talking.

Rarity gave a dainty laugh, which left Applejack grinning like an idiot. “I do believe you were just saying work around here was never done.”

“Well, I don’t think those were my exact words.”

“But they were, darling. ‘You know how it is, work on the farm is never done.’ That’s exactly what you said.”

Even though Apple Bloom hadn’t been listening in too closely before, she could recall Applejack saying that. And, apparently, so could Applejack. “Well, I might’ve said somethn’ of the sort. But, well, I’m sure I could find something to do, but I don’t need to do anythin’ right now, if you wanted to stay for a while.”

There. She did it again. Applejack had a whole list of chores she was supposed to be doing for the day, and she had already been putting them off for the past hour. What was she going on about not needing to do anything for?

“Well, that does sound like a splendid idea. But I’m afraid I simply can’t; I mustget back to designing my new winter line, or else ponies won’t be wearing them until the summer.”

Only for a moment, but Applejack looked disappointed. She was quick to cover it up with a laugh, though. “Well, I suppose we can’t have that happen. Maybe I could swing by tomorrow to take a look at how the new designs are coming along.”

Applejack was going to go check out fashion? And come to think about it, she had been dead set on letting nothing short of a national emergency get in the way of the day’s work.

That is, until Rarity showed up. As soon as the unicorn had come knocking on the door, Applejack seemed to completely forget about anything else she had planned. But why would she do that? Sure, Applejack loved seeing her friends, but she was acting different.

“Well then, I’ll just have to make sure the designs are flawless by tomorrow!” Rarity said as Apple Bloom walked out onto the porch where they were talking. “I’ll see you then, darling.”

“Yeah, see ya then.”

As Rarity turned to leave, Applejack kept her eyes fixed on her. Even when Apple Bloom walked up next to her, Applejack couldn’t fully bring herself to look away. That was when it clicked into place, and Apple Bloom just knew what was going on.

“Hey there, AB,” Applejack said once Rarity had walked away from the farmhouse. “What can I do for ya?”

“Oh, nothing. I was just seeing how things are going with Rarity?”

Applejack shrugged. “Same as always, I guess.”

“She’s been over a lot lately.”

It seemed that Applejack was picking up on what Apple Bloom was getting at. “Well, sure. She’s a friend, after all.”

“Didn’t you just see her yesterday?”

“Yeah, I was fixing a leak in her roof. You know she’s helpless with stuff like that.”

“And the day before that?”

Applejack was beginning to look nervous. “I was bringing her some apples. That’s when I found out her roof had a leak.”

“And on Tuesday?”

“Are you keeping tabs on everything I do or somethin’?”

Apple Bloom just smiled innocently. “No, I was just asking is all. It just seems like y’all spend an awful lot of time together. More than ya do with any of your other friends, I mean.”

“Now that’s just nonsense.” Applejack turned away and started walking towards the barn. “Now I got a bunch of work to catch up on, so why don’t you run along?”

Any doubt that had remained in Apple Bloom’s mind was gone. But there was nothing to be gained from trying to get Applejack of all ponies to talk about it.

“You got it, AJ,” Apple Bloom said as she walked off towards Ponyville. While Applejack might not want to admit it, she was going to need some help if she wanted to win Rarity’s affection. It was time to find Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle for an emergency Crusader meeting.