• Published 1st Sep 2017
  • 358 Views, 4 Comments

Wartorn - electriflight



As a unicorn and Celestia's loyal student, Twilight's life revolves around the war, colleagues, betrayal and love. How she battles her way out is a path yet unseen.

  • ...
 4
 358

One of Them

“Remember, Minuette, don’t go ahead with any fancy ideas of yours until Princess Celestia approves it. There’s no room for error here, and one mistake could be fatal. Understand?”

“Yes, Professor Sparkle,” Minuette replied shakily. She fell silent as Twilight Sparkle addressed her again.

“And if you have anything else to contribute, please talk to Moon Dancer. She’s handling most of the research work. Don’t talk to Raven. She’s busy enough as it is, being Celestia’s secretary,”

“Yes. Thank you,” Minuette rushed out of the room without waiting for Twilight to dismiss her.

“And Minuette, I-” Twilight looked up and realised that Minuette was already gone.

“Didn’t even wait for me to say she could go. What kind of ponies am I dealing with ?” Twilight walked up to the office door and pulled it shut. Her horn ignited with a warm magenta glow as she levitated and surveyed the stack of papers on her desk. Reading it from top to bottom, she could see that it was a paper that Raven had submitted to her on exactly what Minuette had planned. Her genius idea was to fire off a signal flare near the east castle courtyard of the Canterlot Castle, situated in what was now known as Old Equestria. This would direct King Sombra’s minions to storm the place and while they were doing that Celestia’s forces could launch an attack on their base.

That was until her colleague and fillyhood friend Lemon Hearts reminded her that only Sombra’s guards and possibly only a few of them were likely to go, leaving them with more enemy warriors to battle against. Not only that, but they would give away a critical war secret: that nopony lived in Old Equestria anymore. All that was left were a few sentries on guard who would often report on the current condition of the place using walkie-talkies. Minor battles that were a frequent exchange usually happened a little way away from Old Equestria, right between the Crystal Empire and the formerly glorious pony residence. If it dawned upon Sombra that Old Equestria was a ghost town, he would be hot on their heels. There would be no mistaking the wild chase that would happen consequently. And if he should chance upon their new dwelling- well, Twilight didn’t want to think about it.

Sighing, Twilight crumpled the paper and promptly tossed it away into the waste bin. While she was well aware of Minuette’s trepidation due to her complete and thorough lecture on the matter, she could not ignore that Twinkleshine had decided to take matters into her own hooves, taking Raven’s absence of a response as a yes. Thankfully, Lemon Hearts had been alert and immediately reported this to Twilight, stopping Minuette in time.

Honestly, why did Celestia accept her into the department in the first place? She gained entry solely due to her being a unicorn, and unicorns were stereotypically supposed to be smart. But then Minuette had never taken her lessons seriously in her younger years; always hanging out and having fun, not listening to anyone or anything. And now, the Equestrian forces had to pay the price.

If only I had more ponies as reliable as Lemon Hearts...

Twilight was still lost in her own thoughts. Suddenly, a light knocking sound was heard outside.

“Come in,” Twilight replied wearily, not in the mood for energetic quips.

“Professor Sparkle! We must start work on the radiation proof vests!” Doctor Whooves frantically said.

“What? Radiation proof ? Have you even made sure that we have enough resources? Or money, for that matter?” Twilight asked, the words coming out a little too harshly than she had intended. She stared at the floor and cringed.

“Sparkle,” Doctor Whooves continued, using her nickname. “I was just thinking, now that we have bulletproof and waterproof vests, we should make them radiation proof as well. That way, we’ll be ready if Sombra decides to spring a surprise and bring radioactive elements into the scene. You know they have the resources to do it if they wanted. The Crystal Empire is located in a pretty bountiful place, anyway,’’ he ended ruefully.

“It’s okay, Doctor. Between this and Minuette’s fantastic plan, I’ve been meaning to sit alone for some time and clear my head. There have been too many ideas from Minuette lately, and I can't bear the idea of another failed plan that might send us up in smoke. Tell you what,” Twilight said. “I’m betting Moondancer’ll give you an okay for the radiation proof vests, so I want you to keep an eye on Minuette. Get somepony to help you. The girl’s been acting... off lately.”

“Roger that,” Doctor Whooves said warmly. “I hope the rest of your day goes well!” he added.

“Too late,” Twilight laughed, “but thanks anyway!”

As Doctor Whooves exited the room, Twilight leaned back in her chair. At least she could take an off day tomorrow. She could sort out her thoughts and pull herself through this.

The last thing she saw as her eyelids drooped shut was a blue streak.

Author's Note:

Now, I don't know much about Minuette's characterisation, so just tell me if it seems out of character and I'll make edits. Please leave only constructive criticism and tell me exactly what you find wrong, not just "Oh, I don't like it." Please note that this is my first fanfic and I would appreciate feedback so don't be shy! Thank you all for taking time to read this!!:twilightsmile: