• Published 29th Aug 2017
  • 478 Views, 0 Comments

What My Cutie Mark Is Meant To Be - WannaFlugelHorn



A new filly is joining the schoolhouse today, and she needs the Cutie Mark Crusaders to help her.

  • ...
 0
 478

Where To Start

The Cutie Mark Crusaders gasped. They had never seen anything like it. Scratches' cutie mark was a . . . well, they didn't really know what it was. There, before their eyes, was a gray curlicue. Scratches looked down sadly at it.

"Can you help me figure out my special purpose," pleaded Scratches. "I just don't know what to do with a cutie mark like this!"

"Wow, your cutie mark looks so cool!" Scootaloo dashed over to Scratches. The others followed.

Scratches blushed. "Wow, thanks."

"I bet you're cutie mark means something amazing," the Pegasus continued. "And I know just how we can figure out what it means."

Scratches smiled really big.

"All we need to do is think of a few things it could be, then see if your good at the things that object relates to. For example, I think it looks like one of those curly light bulbs."

"Or a pig's tail," offered Applebloom.

"Too me, it looks like the motion you use when sewing," mentioned Sweetie Belle.

With so many options, Scratches didn't know where to start.

"Well, Sweet Apple Acres nearby, and we have pigs there, so I'm sure we can see how well you can care for one."

Scratches looked skeptical.

"Oh, don't worry," Started Sweetie Belle. "Applebloom has to help take care of them anyway. Her brother and sister help run the place too, not to mention Granny Smith, Applebloom's, well, granny."

So they headed off down the hill, and then towards the pig pens. Mud was everywhere, along with hay, potatoes, and other scraps meant for the pigs.

"What do I do, where do I start?" Scratches said, pulling out her notebook. Applebloom explained some of the basics, and Scratches got right to it.

"Okay, feed the pigs," Scratches repeated. "Get the bucket, pour it in the trough. Got it."

She carefully took hold of the bucket, clamping her mouth down around the handle, tight. "Uhff, dish bushet is show heffy!" Scratches tottered around, eventually slipping on the mud. The bucket slipped and rotting fruit, as well as other smelly goop, went everywhere.

Applebloom withheld her laughter. "Maybe you're better at cleaning up after the pigs."

Washing the pigs didn't go much better, and before you could say 'Unlucky,' Scratches was soaking wet, and the pig more dirty than before. It was time for the next option.


"Sewing," squealed Sweetie Belle. Rarity generously set up the sewing machine for them, and collected scraps of fabric for them to sew together. Scratches took notes once again, then tried to gently pull the fabric at an even pace. After multiple attempts, knots and loops still scattered the patches of cloth. On her last attempt, she'd even gotten her hair stuck in the machine. This wasn't working out. They headed over to Scootaloo's house.

"One of the light bulbs went out in my room, see?" Scoootaloo pointed to the darkened light. With an unsettling scrapping sound, Scratches dragged a ladder from down the hall to Scootaloo's room. With a light bulb in the filly's teeth, she stepped up the ladder. As she got higher, the ladder wobbled. Scratches body clenched up, including her mouth. With a 'crack,' the light bulb shattered. No one was hurt, and after a long cleanup, Scratches was ready to try again.

She got up the ladder successfully, but gave up when she realized she didn't know how to change the other light bulb while holding the new one. Defeated, the group headed back to the clubhouse.


"That didn't work out the way I thought I would," sighed Scootaloo. "Anyone else have an idea."

"I think I do," said Applebloom. "But we're gonna need to visit Twilight."