• Published 31st Aug 2017
  • 982 Views, 14 Comments

The Little Pony Legend: The Redeemers - eric-emanwu



For the ex villains of The Little Pony Legend, saying you're sorry is only the start.

  • ...
2
 14
 982

Preparation: You sure this is a good idea?

Preparation: You Sure this is a Good Idea?

Korra, now in her friend Twilight Sparkle’s castle, placed a hand on The Friendship Map, tracing her fingers over its surface. “Why haven’t You done anything lately? Just because we’re in peace doesn’t mean friendship problems don’t go away. Ugh, this would be so much easier to justify if we just had the Elements of Harmony to guide us!” She’d called her friends in to meet about this idea she and Mako had, and she was waiting in Twilight’s castle, uneasily wondering what they’d all think about it.

Then the doors opened, and there were all of her best pony friends. Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Rarity, Twilight Sparkle, and Pinkie Pie. They had a variety of different expressions showing. Confusion, curiosity, happiness (Pinkie obviously having that), even a bit of excitement was on Rainbow Dash’s face. All of them had come in their pony forms, and each of them took a seat on one of their friendship thrones. Which of course, were as quiet as the grave.

Rainbow looked up in disappointment, and a bit of confusion now. “Well, why did you call us all here again? I know I’ve missed the last 4 luncheons due to extra patrol hours, but there’s no need to hold an intervention on my behalf.”

Rarity gave a slight glare. “Rainbow! Whatever gave you the idea this is about you! I figured it was because of that fight I got into with Asami about being contracted out as a branch of Sato Industries.”

Korra gave a light chuckle seeing her friends go at it like before. “No. No girls, it’s nothing like that. I called you all here because I need your help.”

“Oooh!” piped Pinkie Pie. “Are we finally going to track down the Red Lotus and put an end to their evil planning?”

“Or maybe we’re needed for more work in the Earth Lands?” asked Fluttershy. “I’ve heard stories from Kai that Tenzin needs me to come in for more time in a few days.”

“Or maybe some ancient evil has escaped from Equestria again??” Twilight shuddered.

“Gals, Gals!” Applejack admonished. “Ah say we outta hear Korra-kins out before we go jumpin to conclusions. So whatta ya need our helps for Sugarcube? Why do we need the elements of harmony to reunite?”

Korra gave a light smile. “Ladies, I need your help to talk with the nations of our worlds.”

All the ponies tilted their heads in confusion a this, especially Twilight. But just as they were about to start talking, Korra lifted a finger.

“More specifically, I need your help to convince the nations of our worlds to support a new project I’ve been working on: The Universal Service Squad.”

“Say wuh?” Applejack asked confused.

Korra continued. “You see, after we went to see Camp Everfree, I didn’t quite realize that we still have a whole lot of friends who haven’t gotten a chance to enjoy the new peace we’ve created. And P’Li in particular was my call to action. We still don’t have a good way to give her the freedom she deserves. Then Mako came up with an idea: have all these people join together and serve the world in different ways until they can be released.”

Applejack again perked up at this. “Now there’s an idea anny old Apple would get behind. It’s just like what yah did with Varrick for a little while on mah farm.”

However, Twilight raised a hoof. “But, such a group might still be composed of dangerous and damaged people and ponies. Beings that could easily backslide in the worst scenarios. How in the world would you manage to keep them from killing each other?”

Korra smiled. “I have somepony in mind to act as supervisor. Someone whom the others would respect, and who might be just who’s needed if they ever got too far out of line. And like I said, that’s where you all come in. I want to make sure that EVERYONE in all the kingdoms and nations is okay with this idea. So, I’ve called in not just you, but some others as well to help make this work.”

At this, in walked a host of others. Sunset Shimmer, Mako, Twilight’s husband Flash Sentry, and Korra’s Brother and Sister in Law: Asami and Bolin.

“Hey everyone!” called Bolin. “Team Avatar Harmony is about to get down for something big and new!” Several of the ponies there rolled their eyes affectionately at this, but smiled.

Mako walked to the head of the table. “Alright everyone, in order to get this down, we’re going to need to be efficient.” Then he turned to Twilight. “If you will, could you activate the hologram map?”

Twilight nodded. Her horn lit up, and next thing everyone knew, they were looking at a map of Equestria and all the kingdoms. Bolin next walked up, carrying several lists.

“Ever since Mako brought me in on Korra’s next ‘big project’, I’ve been helping him consider how we should approach each ruler of the different lands so we can help them without any problem. I suppose we should start with the first people on the list.” At this he looked up at the elements of Magic and Unity. “Princess Korra and Princess Twilight? This Service Squad will be doing its best to spread the magic of friendship and harmony wherever they go. Fields that I know you’ll appreciate so you won’t have to work as hard. Will you give your blessing for this quest?”

Korra rolled her eyes at this. “This was our family’s idea Bolin. Of course I’m on board with doing this.”

Twilight though seemed a bit more hesitant. “I dunno. I mean, for something as big and dangerous as this could be, I’d feel way more comfortable leading this squad personally to ensure nothing goes wrong. But my duties traveling the worlds might make that impossible. I don’t know that I can fully get behind this.”

Korra put her hand on Twilight’s back. “Twilight, I promise you that the person I’m choosing to lead in the field will be someone you trust. Even if we have to do rotating leadership, I’ll be sure to have whoever’s in charge be someone you can trust to do whatever you’d want to do. And hey, if you ever wanted to be in charge for a few missions, I’d be okay with that too. Come on! This is what we’ve always wanted. Spreading love and peace even when we’re not there.”

Twilight looked up at Korra. “I…” Then she looked around at everyone staring at her. “You’re kinda putting me on the spot here Korra! Maybe...give me a few minutes after the meeting to decide?”

Korra gave a light smile. “Of course. So, Bolin, what other plans do you have for this?”

Bolin looked down at his lists again. “Right. So, I’m thinking that we want to divide things up just to be sure we can get this all done quickly. I propose we split into pairs. So here’s what we’re going to do…”


Twilight and Korra were now in Twilight’s library again. After the briefing, they had stepped away to discuss how to get Twilight convinced to let things proceed.

“So, what exactly do you want to talk with me about to get me on board?”

Korra scratched her head. “Well, I didn’t want to say it right away to everyone right there, but the truth is that I actually do have an idea on who I want to lead the team. And they were right in that very room.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow. “Well?”

“It’s…”


Sunset Shimmer and Rainbow Dash were once again outside of Canterlot Castle. Both were strutting high, carrying themselves with confidence and determination.

Sunset turned to Rainbow. “You know, this is the second time I’ve gone to Celestia’s place to ask something.”

Rainbow chuckled a bit at this. “Perhaps, but this is way more official by comparison.”

Sunset smiled lightly at this. “Well, at least entering is going to be easier.” And the two of them made their way to the main gate.

The two guards looked at the approaching ponies, and both gave a light nod as they entered. “Bearer, Duchess.”

Rainbow gave a light smirk at that. “Duchess? My goodness Sunset. I suppose that means you outrank me at this point. Perhaps I should remain silent at let the noble handle all the talking.”

At this, Sunset actually shot a glare at Dash. “Don’t even! I’ve done all in my power to try and put that behind me. I don’t need it coming up now.”

Rainbow blinked at this. “Where’s this all coming from Sunset? I mean, it’s been years for us all. Don’t tell me you’re still afraid of having power thrust upon you….Are you?”

Sunset gave a belligerent sigh. “Not...exactly. It’s not that I don’t want power anymore. It’s just…” At this she closed her eyes, before then casting them at the stain glass window commemorating the defeat of the Siren Mecha. “I’ve experienced time in a weird way Rainbow Dash. Being in the mirror world messed up trying to figure out how old I actually am, and thus, the whole “she-demon incident” is way more recent in my experience compared with what you all have seen. And no matter how much time goes by, I can’t ever forget that image of myself when I stole Twilight’s crown.” Then she corrected herself. “Not in the sense that it still gives me nightmares or anything like that, but that was the last time I really felt like I was in charge of others. Ever since then, I’ve had it tricky enough to direct my Mirror World friends or to take charge of a sports team. But even then, I always had Korra or Princess Twilight to back me up. I don’t know if I’d ever feel comfortable enough to be a leader the same way again.” Then she paused as they reached the doors. “Do you really think I’d be a good leader beyond people I know?”

Rainbow Dash gave a chuckle. “Sunset Shimmer, we’ve known each other for over 3 years now, and I still can’t believe how eggheaded you can sound sometimes.” Sunset blinked in confusion at this, but Rainbow wasn’t done. “It’s not about whether you’d be good at something. It’s about execution. Sometimes to understand if you can do something is to just do it. I’m sure you know the story of how I did my second sonic rainboom right?” Sunset nodded. “I was terrified going into that competition, but when the moment came, I put everything into just doing my best to help my friends, and that was enough to show that I didn’t need to think about doing it. I just had to move my wings and make it possible!” Rainbow then lightly smiled. “And by knowing your limits, I’m sure you’d make a great leader however it may happen.”

Sunset gave a half smile at that. “Well, I don’t exactly want to find out for a while. Now, let’s get Equestria on our side.”

Having finally arrived at the throne room, the two ponies took a breath, then hoofed inside. Much to their surprise though, they found all of the royal family waiting for them.

Leilani gave a smile. “Hello Officer Dash. Duchess Shimmer. So, how can I help you both today?”

Giving a bow, Rainbow spoke up. “You Highnesses, your majest..ow!” She then turned to look at Sunset giving her a stink eye for elbowing her.

“Dash! They know us! Don’t get too mushy!” Sunset then stepped forward. “We come bearing a proposal for the kingdom of Equestria on behalf of the Princesses of Friendship.”

Luna smiled at this. “Speak, and let the word of our fellow princesses be known.”

Rainbow finally recovered herself. “Korra wants to get all the old villains we have together so they can work to be free again!”

Celestia perked up at this. “Hmm. An interesting idea. But why should we be concerned with this?”

“Because some of those villains are in your custody right now Celestia.” answered Rainbow. “We not only want the authority to do this work in these lands, but Korra’s also interested in taking over for the punishment of Adagio Dazzle and Aria Blaze.”

All the alicorns sat up just a little straighter at that, giving each other a brief glance. Finally, Luna spoke up. “Princess Korra asks a lot Officer. She already took them for ‘vacation’ only a week ago. And now she just wants to take over their punishment?”

Rainbow gave a slight wince at this, but she knew her duty. “Yes. With your approval of course. We don’t know how long they’ll need in order to work off their many crimes, but Korra wants to start them on the path in a more constructive manner to both you and all our allies.”

Leilani spoke up at this. “All our allies?”

Sunset knew that this meant they had another angle to go for, so she stepped in. “Yes Leilani. The old Team Avatar Harmony is all over the world, asking for permission to work on this project. To give them as many different ways to work off their debts to the world. Which is also a part of why we had to scatter to talk with everyone. You see, we’re interested in having...”


“All the nations agree on how much time the prisoners need to be released?”

Flash Sentry gave a sollem nod. “It’s the only way we can possibly have everyone see how their release will be under genuine terms. Acceptable to everyone.”

President Raiko and Master Tenzin looked at the proposal paper in front of them. Then gave each other a look. They’d agreed to this meeting with Prince Flash and Lady Fluttershy in part because Tenzin had wanted to talk with the Lady about more time in the Earth Zone. But now the two of them were speaking about moving around number 1 criminals.

“It’s..not exactly something I would do,” admitted Tenzin.

“Neither would I,” agreed Raiko. “My duty is to protect Republic City. And to just let some of our greatest enemies wander free without consequence..”

Fluttershy finally found her voice. “Please! Have a little faith Master!” She took a slow breath at seeing everyone look at her, before placing her hands together. “I believe this will work, because Equestria has proven it before. With Discord!” Both the men gave a slight cringe at the name, but surprisingly, he never popped up. “It was hard at first, and none of my friends would dare forget what he did to us when he first escaped. But Princess Celestia believed in me!” Then Fluttershy found her steady voice. “And with a little kindness and friendship, Discord’s now someone on OUR side. He may still not be easy, but he’d never harm Equestria or any other land again. If I can do it, I believe they can change too!”

Both men were shocked. Then both gave a small smile. And finally, Tenzin spoke up. “I must say, Korra is getting good at this diplomacy thing if she was wise enough to send you to talk to us.” Tenzin then gave a nod. “The Airbenders are all about giving second chances through service. I agree to this plan. The Air Nation will allow the terms of this service team.”

Raiko then spoke. “It’s...still not something I’ll be giving missions to right away. At least until I can see that there’s more basis to make it work, but for now, I’ll be willing to come to the table to discuss sentence lengths.”

Fluttershy gave a smile. “Thank you.”

Tenzin then raised a finger. “But, with all these different people with pasts together…”


“How are you going to keep the peace between them?”

Asami gave a light chuckle. She and Applejack were down at the South Pole again, visiting Tonraq and Sema. And while business was still important, they also had more fun things to discuss, what with Asami being pregnant with her second child.

“I can always have Bolin send them to their rooms. Or just see if they can be friendly with each other. After all, despite the...issues you had with Unlaq, that doesn’t mean they can’t be more like Bolin and Mako.”

Tonraq smiled. “I suppose we can always hope. And I assume little Hiro’s doing well?”

“I certainly hope so. He’s staying with Pema for now. And hopefully, we won’t find out Meelo used him as a human shield for his latest prank.”

Tonraq gave a slight chuckle at that. “Now, what brings my daughter in law so far south?”

Applejack stepped up. “We’re hopin’ you might join the rest o’ the world in lettin’ our old enemies grow.”

“Grow?”

Asami felt herself shifting into pitch mode. “We’re interested in creating a service squad of former enemies who can find different ways to work off all the bad things they did in life.”

Tonraq raised an eyebrow. “A team of...villains?”

“Not villins’. People an’ Ponies who wanna second chance. Ya know, like Sunset Shimmer.”

Tonraq frowned at this. “And why are you asking me about this? All the threats to the Southern Water Tribe are taken care of.”

“We want this to be worldwide effort. Something that everyone can see how much they changed. And that includes you.”

Sema then spoke up. “But if you’re bringing in everyone, then that means…”

Tonraq quickly picked up on her line of thought. “No. No, you’re not thinking of having HIM on the team, are you?”

Asami closed her eyes. “Trust me, I feel the same way.” Applejack gave her a questioning look, but Asami chose to ignore it. “I’m also not too happy to give several of these people second chances.” Then she opened her eyes with a serious expression. “But, I would’ve given anything to see my father be free and healed from everything that happened to him. To know that he was a grandparent twice over, and have a chance to put his genius to work again. And I swore that after holding onto my anger for so long towards him and so many other people in my past, that I’d never put myself through that pain again.” She then looked Tonraq in the eyes. “I chose to move on with Kuvira last month at Camp Everfree, because I know that she is truly sorry for all she’d done, and she’s done the most harm to me personally.”

Tonraq sighed. “Perhaps, but you really expect me to just let it all go with that...airbender?”

Applejack then stepped in. “You don’t hafta forgive him right away Chief. But give him a chance to prove to you that he’s not the man who hurt your daughter.”

Tonraq gave a sigh. “Strictly speaking, on a national scale, the Southern Water Tribe would be happy to invest in people who aren’t personally connected to our nation, but I have to say that putting so many people together would be dangerous.”

Applejack gave a grin. “That’s why we’re plannin’ on havin’ a warden o’ sorts to be with them all. Someone who they’ll trust, and be strong enough to keep em in line in emergencies. Korra just hasn’t announced who yet.”

Tonraq raised an eyebrow at that. “Okay, but what about other nations, do you really think that places with more direct history would be okay with this?”

“Trust us Tonraq. With the right people talking with the right nations, I’m sure their answers will all be..”


“Absolutely not!”

Mako sighed heavily. Rarity looked like she was going to drown someone. And both of them gave an exasperated look at the former Prince Wu sitting across from them, reading through their written proposal.

“As the current head of government for the Earth Principalities, I cannot in good faith allow Kuvira to leave our hands. She’s done too much harm to be allowed to go free again.”

Rarity gave Wu a piercing gaze. “Are you saying that in the name of your former kingdom, or from your own selfish pride?” Wu just looked away at that.

Mako then pushed a bit harder. “Wu, you know me. And you know that I wouldn’t come here without a good reason. And you know how much good Korra and the Airbenders have done these last 2 years helping to fix things up. Isn’t that enough to get you onboard.”

Wu frowned slightly. “Well…” then he scratched his head. “It is true that I’d like to be able to leave this post sooner rather than later. After all, auntie Hou Ting isn’t getting much younger, and I would like to step in to help with the knick knacks before her retirement.” Then he composed himself. “But it’s not like the rest of the populace is going to take this well! The scars are still too fresh!”

Rarity then spoke up. “Scars fade. And despite her many war crimes, you have to admit that Kuvira was an excellent organizer. Besides, don’t just think of this group as individuals. Think of them as some friends to help things out.” Rarity then pulled out a map riddled with crosses. “I mean, the reorganization process hasn’t exactly gone smoothly with trying to sort out how all the states are going to work in the future. Maybe this team can help with stabilizing in places the airbenders haven’t reached yet. Or maybe one of them can help with redesigning what the government will look like. After all, she’s not the only person we’re considering.”

Wu gave a shrug. “Well, I’ll put it to a talk with some of my councilors. But I do want 1 condition.” Both his guests shrunk back, afraid he’d ask something dangerous like asking to sing at one of their next weddings. But instead, Wu drew 3 characters on a piece of paper. Mako gave a light gasp seeing them, while Rarity just looked at Wu, not familiar with the writing. “300 years. Make that the minimum for those sirens and Kuvira, and I’ll proceed with negotiating with the others.”

Rarity lightly bit her lip, and Mako awkwardly looked away, but both realized the way it’d been declared meant they wouldn’t be able to work around it. Finally, Mako answered, “As you wish. We will pass your message along, but take it up with the others. Korra’s planning a secret summit to hash out the national interests in length of service by these people.”

Wu seemed to perk up at that. “And I assume everyone will be there? Even…”


“Firelord Izumi will be with you momentarily.”

Korra had an uneasy feeling in her stomach, but she kept herself steady. Out of all the leaders in the world, this was one who she knew the least about. Fire Lord Izumi had only briefly met Korra during the crisis with Kuvira, and seemed a bit more reserved compared with the other leaders like Raiko. But she was Zuko’s daughter, so Korra could only hope she would have the same spirit of nobility that he had.

She then turned to look at Pinkie Pie, who was still in her pony form, and somehow bouncing up and down despite the situation. Looking excited yet bored at the same time. Korra gave a smile. “Calm down Pinkie. You can do your pinkie thing soon enough, so no need to get too worked up.”

Pinkie merely gave a cat like grin. “But we’ve never had a chance to talk with Izumi before! And I’m ready to take my pinkie parties into this nation! I can’t believe I’ve missed it these last 5 years.”

“Is that why you wanted to come with me?”

Pinkie gave one of her signature smiles. “In a way. After all, only Rarity, Asami and Mako got to go last time. Oh, and this also counts as some free scouting for the Air Nomads. See if the Fire Nation needs extra hands as well. Also, I get to try some Fire Nation Cookies! Always wanted one of those. And throw a Fire Nation Anniversary Party while I’m here! I heard they’re going to be celebrating really soon!”

Korra gave a light sigh. “Pinkie, why don’t you let me do the talking today?”

Pinkie gave a small gasp. “Why avatar! Don’t tell me you don’t trust me!”

Korra winced at that. “No no, I trust you. It’s just, the fire nation still has some very formal elements. And your spontaneity can be a bit much sometimes. Remember that time with the Yaks?”

Pinkie gave a giggle. “You’re just worried about me upstaging you!”

Korra opened her mouth to make a joke, but at that moment, the doors opened. Korra quickly shuffled into the room, which was a hallway with fires burning warmly at the sides. Lord Izumi was sitting on a throne at the end of the hallway. Making her way forward quickly, Korra gave a quick bow of respect. She was about to turn around and tell Pinkie to do the same, but found to her surprise that Pinkie was already doing so. And she’d become human in the time they took to enter.

Izumi wore a patient expression that was still highly guarded. And before Korra could get out a word, she began speaking. “Avatar, Lady Pie. I know why you’ve come.”

Korra did her very best to try not to sound like the girl she was before, but it wasn’t easy because she was totally blindsided by this. “You do?”

Izumi gave a wire thin smile. “Through the Fire Nation may no longer deal in war, it doesn’t mean we don’t still gather intelligence from across the nations.” Then she rose, and beckoned them to follow her. “And I’ve heard the rumors of the Elements of Harmony traveling the world for some greater purpose than mere service.”

Making their way along, Korra and Pinkie soon found themselves looking at an enormous map that took up an entire table. And right next to it, another map much smaller, but with what looked like Equestria on it. Pinkie soon was on the other side of the large table, looking it over.

“Oooohhh, this looks like your whole world. Kinda like how the Friendship Map would work normally.”

Izumi shot Korra a questioning look, but Korra shrugged. “It’s a...magical destiny thing my lord. Anyways, I’m here to ask for the fire nation’s permission to operate within your borders for a special project. Which, I’m sure you heard at least vague information about since you’ve already heard about everything going on with the other nations.”

Izumi looked Korra over, then turned to the map, a slight frown on her face. “I must admit, I’m both flattered and suspicious that you chose to come here over every other nation in the alliance Avatar Korra. You and I haven’t even faced a national crisis for the Avatar to come sort out yet. So why come here?”

Pinkie immediately jumped in here. “For Cookies! I’ve heard all about the new firebrand cookies being made here, and I insisted on having Korra come along for it!”

“Pinkie!” Korra then gave another respectful bow. “My apologies. I chose your nation precisely because our team hasn’t done work with you yet Lord Izumi. What’s the point in sending say...Princess Twilight if she’s not friends with you yet? This is an important matter for our world, and and therefore you got a visit from the avatar.”

Izumi again, looked Korra over, then looked back at the map, deep in thought. “I suppose the first place to start when discussing this is a matter of time. When do you expect to come through with whatever project you have in mind?”

“That’s...actually up to you.” That got Izumi’s attention, and she immediately looked up from the map. “I’m trying to form a team to act in my name to help people and ponies across all of this.” Korra gestured to both maps. “But it’s not like we’re ever going to know everything that goes on everywhere, so we’re going to put the team at the service of the nations. A group to help out with national emergencies, or just needing extra hands to help around.”

Izumi seemed intrigued. “And who is on this..team?”

“Some old friends of mine. I mean, we’ll have Varrick, Zhu Li, Kuvira….”

“What?”

“I said we’d have Kuvira helping around.”

Izumi’s frown seemed to deepen. “Avatar, I don’t know if you’re memories are foggy at all, but do you remember how much trouble that woman gave Republic City and the Earth Kingdom by just being around?” Korra wanted to respond, but Izumi’s hand hit the wooden table. “We trusted her! Believed in her! And what did she do? Usurp the rightful king, and nearly start a war with a weapon just as devastating as what my grandfather would have done!” Korra held the gaze, refusing to give up.

“I know. I felt the same.” Korra then took a deep breath. “But I know the real Kuvira. And I know that she’s had 2 years to reflect on her actions. And I trust that she’d be respectful and deferential to those she’d be handed over to serve.”

“It’s still too soon. Nobody among the nobles would trust her to set foot on our soil!”

“They will learn to believe in her!”

Izumi still looked skeptical, but then Pinkie jumped in front of her face. “Hey! Why the long face? What do you care anyway? Kuvira never went after the Fire Nation at all.”

Korra looked positively horrified at this seeming disrespect, and Izumi for her part was also caught off guard. “Lady Pie, after my father’s reign, the Fire Nation is all about helping the other nations to maintain peace and protect our world. And Kuvira was doing truly terrible things to the Earth provinces.”

Then Pinkie gave a sly grin. “Ah. Yes, your dad. Who was it again? It’s sometimes so hard to remember these names that don’t sound tasty...zombie?...Zero...Zeusy…?”

Korra called out in horror, “Zuko!”

Pinkie then did a surprise airbender somersault over the table, before landing gently on the other side, pointing a finger at both of them. “EXACTLY! And when Zuko was just a boy, he fought to reclaim his honor, only to realize that the true honor to get was in becoming friends with the original team avatar.” Then she swung her right hand to Izumi alongside her left one. “And don’t you want to continue your father’s legacy? Be a believer in redeeming others as your father redeemed the fire nation to the world?”

Izumi, still not quite there, replied, “Yes, but…”

“So won’t you be the Fire Lord who gave the Redeemers a chance to redeem themselves in the true tradition of the fire nation? Regardless of whether they ever set foot in your country or not?”

“Redeemers?” wondered Korra. Then she looked at Izumi, who was starting to shake, before to the shock of Korra, she burst out laughing. Steadying herself on the larger table, she began to regain herself, looking at Pinkie and Korra, but with a genuine smile on her face.

“Korra, your Element of Laughter truly lives up to her name.” Izumi then snapped her fingers, as a long scroll was brought over along with a pen. She then looked at the two of them, and began writing. “I, Firelord Izumi, hereby grant Avatar Korra’s group free travel along the Fire Nation at the earliest convenience should the need arise.”

Korra gave a grateful bow. “Thank you so much.”

Izumi curled up the scroll. “You’re welcome. One Firelord to another Avatar, it would be my honor to serve your causes again.” Then she looked at Pinkie again. “And thank you for pointing out the truth Lady Pie. Showing me that I have a rich tradition to draw upon rather than just a bad past to respond to.”

Pinkie gave a small hop over to the Firelord. “No problemo!” Then she paused for a moment. “You know, there is one thing I never got around to learning about your family though. Who is your mother anyways?”

“Pinkie!” Korra groaned. “We talked about this. It’s….”


“...not relevant right now, but it is fine to see you again my former turtledove.”

Bolin cringed internally. How did I get stuck going to the North Pole with Spike and Twilight?

For their part, Eska and Desna had not changed all that much. But they did seem substantially more upright. More in control compared to how bored they’d been all those years ago. And both of them were giving lazy eyes at the pony, dragon and man before them.

Eska continued. “I forgot to ask: why did Korra not ask to dance with her cousins during the wedding?”

Bolin could feel just a sliver of ice coming from Eska’s words there, but also….pain? He tried to play it off at first, but he suspected where this was going. “Well, there were just so many guest to entertain, and then there was dealing with Prince Wu making a mess of things, and on top of all that making sure none of the prisoners tried to escape during the wedding…”

“No excuses!” Desna shouted. Both of the twins bent their heads down slightly afterwards. Desna then muttered, “It’s not like we care at all. Because we don’t!”

Bolin finally decided to go for it. “On behalf of the family, I’m sorry you felt left out.” Twilight was looking uneasily at Bolin as he moved forward, but let him continue. “After all, I’m your step cousin now, and it was wrong of us to forget to include you in so much of our fun.”

At that, Eska looked up. Her eyes softened, and she cleared her throat. “Anyways, you want the Northern Water Tribe to pledge their support to our cousin’s….friendship team?”

Twilight then stepped up. “That’s correct your Eminences. I know it doesn’t sound like a great idea, but…”

“Some conditions.”

Twilight felt her train of thought crash hard at Eska’s words, but she caught herself before tipping over. “Yes?”

“First, I want this….team to come help us soon. We’ve picked up on some rumors of the Red Lotus scrounging around in the tundra, and want to be sure to root it out before we lose our home.”

Twilight nodded. “I’ll put it on the list.”

“Second, I want to have all the family visit for a week.” Bolin almost cringed at this, but then contained himself.

“We’ve been...neglectful of our promises we made all those years ago,” admitted Desna. “We promised to mend the barrier, then just slunk away to hide.” Then he looked down. “We would like to….see the family in less official times if possible.”

Bolin nodded. “As soon as Asami comes to term, we’ll try and set up a time.”

“And finally,” Eska concluded, “WE wish to volunteer for some time on this team when possible.”

That got everyone’s attention. Spike, who was writing in the back, had his quill suddenly snap.

“YOU want to be on the team?” Twilight almost felt her eyes coming out of her skull. “But...you’re chiefs of the Northern Water Tribe! You can’t just leave here for no reason. You have responsibilities to your people to keep them safe as head of government and leader of the military!”

Eska rolled her eyes. “And this is peace time. Why would we need to worry about war when there’s so much peace all around?”

“We will never know if something worse might come along. It’s just too much to risk.”

Desna then spoke up. “Perhaps...we can split the time. After all, there’s two of us, so maybe we can take turns serving alongside the fellow foes.” Eska shot Desna a glare, causing him to shrink back. “Or, maybe not.”

Bolin stroked his chin, pondering how best to handle this. Then an idea came up. “Maybe...we can have you two as royal guests traveling on state visits. After all, as leaders of the north, we could shuttle you to different locations as part of our service to the nations, and if we ‘happen’ to be called for a mission along the way, you two can sneak out and help then.”

Eska and Desna looked at each other, and then nodded. “There is...one other thing that will ensure our freedom of time.” Both of them raised their hands, shooting a splash of water into the air, and in walked a demure looking woman, with a serene look on her face. “The Queen mother Malina can watch over the tribe in our absence.”

Malina looked over the guests, then turned to her children, raising an eyebrow. “You wanted to marry him Eska? No wonder it didn’t work out.”

“Man, it’s like looking at a bigger distorted mirror” Spike whispered to Bolin. “Combined with how Unalaq acted, no wonder those two wound up so creepy.”

The two leaders rose from their ice thrones. “Now, if there’s nothing else to discuss, we have one final question for you.”

“Anything” both Bolin and Twilight chimed.

“We want to know….”


“Are you sure you want her to be team warden?”

“Yes. The people on the ship will have many varied problems they’ll need to work out. The least of which is how to be a good team. But I fully believe that Sunset Shimmer will be able to keep their respect. After all, she’s as smart as you, and just as tough.”

Twilight gave a slight smile. “I suppose so.” Then she looked up at Korra. “She is someone I can trust to do what’s right. But how do you know she’ll be okay taking on this kind of responsibility?”

Korra gave a light smile. “I don’t. But I’m going to ask her once I return from the fire nation. And if she says yes, will you give your blessing, Senior Princess of Friendship?”

Twilight rubbed her hooves, pondering over everything they’d planned and discussed. Then she looked over to a wall, and saw a picture of her friends before she got her wings. All smiling and enjoying a picnic. And she smiled as well. “Alright. If Sunset Shimmer agrees to help, then I will also give my blessing.”


8 days later...

“I won’t do it!”

Spike slapped his hand against his face. “Of course.”

Author's Note:

I actually ended up rewriting this chapter 3 times, because like the 2nd prologue, I didn't want the setup to be bigger than the adventure to come. I originally had a big sequence where characters would react to where they were sent, grumbling or questioning, bringing up their new family situations, etc. Which admittedly meant I had to cut my favorite cutaway joke in this chapter where we see Spike on babysitting duty with the baby princesses, but I ultimately liked this style of setup way more.

That being said, this chapter also altered the fabric of the story plans. The story is bloated as is, but I actually added in Eska and Desna at the last minute when I realized they were villains who lacked proper redemptive closure too. Sure they were only accessories to the plan, but fighting against dark spirits redemption does not make. I also threw in the Sunset subplot because I'm hoping to create mini character arcs over the course of this story, and Sunset is going to have the hardest one in facing demons and dealing with extreme personalities in a situation she isn't exactly familiar with.

Next time: Sunset Shimmer does some intense soul searching as she thinks about what she wants to do with her life.