• Published 31st Aug 2017
  • 966 Views, 14 Comments

The Little Pony Legend: The Redeemers - eric-emanwu



For the ex villains of The Little Pony Legend, saying you're sorry is only the start.

  • ...
2
 14
 966

Preparation: Lead on?

Sunset looked over her desk. She could barely believe she was doing all this. She sighed, and began reaching for a few of the framed photos she had left on the desk. “Just the good ones. That way I can leave a few for Asami to keep.”

“Sunset? May I have a word with you?”

Sunset paused, then looked behind herself. Asami was dressed in a practical suit for once, but she had her hair down, which was a little weird. She usually wore her hair up to make herself look “professional” at work. And she looked almost sad.

Sunset paused, putting a picture of her signing her first contract back on the desk. Then turned around fully. “Of course. What is it Madame President?”

“Madame?”

“Sorry. Old habit I had from the mirror world. Anyways, what is it Asami?”

Asami sighed. “Sunset, what are you doing here?”

“I’m cleaning my desk of course. If I’m going to be taking long trips with Korra’s new group, I want a few photos with me. But of course, I don’t know how much space I’ll actually have and...”

“I don’t want you to go.”

That stopped Sunset. “What?”

“We’re in the middle of 2nd fiscal quarter. Surely you could wait a little while before leaving.”

Sunset slowly began frowning. “Asami, where’s this coming from?”

“Sunset I...I need you. This company needs you. The details of our new contract with the Republic City Boutique needs review before sending them out to Rarity. The next renewal of the high speed rail initiative is coming up for renegotiation. Research and Development is only just getting going on spirit gem phones which would be a major new field for the company. And you’re just going to walk away from headquarters just like that?”

Sunset gave a small but firm smile. “Just like that. The team needs me. And I need to be the example they deserve to lead them. If this is going to be a team for redemption, then the Duchess of Forgiveness deserves to go for it.”

“This is...it’s just so sudden. And don’t you think it’s a bit arrogant to assume you’re best qualified for this just because Queen Lelani gave you a title?”

That brought a few sparks from Sunset’s horn. “Excuse me?”

Asami took a step in. “This group could be led by any old soldier, servant or even Starlight. Do you really think just because you got a royal title then you NEED to lead anyone? You don’t.”

“Asami!”

Suddenly, a mini storm of sparks and light came all around the small office. Sunset’s eyes had the avatar glow to them, but they were a sparkle of rainbows rather than pure white. “YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO SAY THAT! IT’S NOT ABOUT HAVING TITLES! IT’S ABOUT LIVING INTO THEM! WHY DO YOU THINK KORRA AND TWILIGHT HAD IT SO HARD AT FIRST??!”

Asami was taking some steps back, shocked, but also quickly pressing a remote on the wall to lock the office door. She didn’t want anything to suddenly go out of hand. “Sunset! Stop! I’m not your enemy!”

But Sunset didn’t stop. Not at first. She began hovering slightly above the floor. “YOU LIVE INTO YOUR ROLE AS A SATO DON’T YOU? WHAT MAKES YOU…YOU…” Sunset began to realize what was happening and suddenly dropped with a thud. Shaking her head, she suddenly began to breathe heavily. “I...I don’t know what came over me. It was like...Oh Celestia!”

Asami slowly came closer, laying a hand on Sunset tentatively. “Are you okay?”

Sunset took another breath. “I think so.” She then looked at her hands, then at Asami with a bit of fear. “It’s...there was a magical accident with Starlight before I came over to talk with Korra. I accidentally accessed the Avatar spirit. And Raava told me there might be some...side effects before returning to normal. This must be one of them.” Sunset swallowed. “It was like..I had all the authority in the world for a second, and anyone who was questioning me deserved to fall.”

Asami again gave Sunset a piercing look. “So, with this...problem you might have, you think you can still go out with former criminals and handle things safely?”

Sunset flinched at that. But returned the gaze with firm determination. “If this is going to be about authority, then whatever Raava gave me may be exactly what I need to keep any problems manageable. I worked well enough as a sidekick to all of you. It’s time for me to lead properly just like each of you did.”

Asami’s expression began to sink. She didn’t want to do what was coming, but there was less and less space given how Sunset was acting. “And you’re sure I can’t talk you out of doing this Sunset?”

“Asami, Sato Industries is the premier mega corporation of 2 worlds. You’ve got government contracts with several nations for revitalizing transportation. A wonderful husband who’ll support you regardless of your choices, and friends to raise you up. So what does it matter if there’s one less of them in the office?”

Asami rubbed her head lightly. “Sunset, I’m pregnant again. That means I’ll have to give myself maternity leave again. And this time, I’m not entirely confident the acting president will act in the same interests I would want. Not in the same way I trust you to do so.” She looked at Sunset with eyes wide and sad. “We worked so hard to create a better world for each of us. I’m...I’m unsure whether stepping back will keep where we’re going steady. So please, is there any way I can convince you to change your mind?”

Sunset sadly shook her head. “Sorry ‘Sami. But this is something that I have to do. I trust that you’ll know who to call for help at that time.”

Asami gave a sad sigh. “In that case Sunset, I’m afraid I have some bad news for you.” And she reached into her pocket to hand sunset a pink letter. “If you’re not going to be around for important things my company does, then I’m afraid you can’t be my vice president anymore.”

Sunset gave a surprised look at the letter. Then began scanning the contents. “Regret to inform….no return for several months ...severance package….” Sunset looked up. “This...was never an issue when you and Korra were traveling the Earth Kingdom for Air Benders.”

Asami again smiled sadly. “Things have changed Sunset Shimmer. We’re more rooted in the world’s activities than before. And the cogs of the company can’t be handled remotely until those geophones are complete. There’s too much uncertainty given how unreliable the remote radio contact’s been lately.” She gently rubbed an eye. “I wish I didn’t have to do this, but rules are rules. And I need someone to advise me who’s here. Not out there as a servant to the princesses of friendship.”

Sunset frowned. “I...see.” Then she looked Asami square in the eye. “Do you think I can do this?”

Asami paused, thinking a moment, though she couldn’t help but notice Sunset’s deepening frown. Finally she took a deep breath. “I do. Team Avatar Harmony managed far harder tasks. Helping others across two worlds won’t be nearly as hard compared with defending Republic City from Amon or helping The Great Change happen.” Asami then gave a small chuckle. Honestly, part of me really wants to come along with you all. This kind of journey would give Sato Industries quite the publicity boost and get us outside all the usual routines we’ve fallen into. But,” and she sighed. “We’re getting too old for that kind of easy travel anymore. I’m sorry.”

Sunset gave a rueful, but understanding smile. “I know. Although, there is one thing I’d like to change in my severance package.”

Asami merely raised an eyebrow at that.

Author's Note:

Sorry. Sorry. I was sitting on this for a few weeks, but it's finally ready.