• Published 11th Aug 2017
  • 995 Views, 14 Comments

A second chance to live - GrayOnBlue



The only survived human from dying Earth, saved by ponies. They decide to raise her themselves, but non-existant knowledge about humanity sure will make it much more complicated.

  • ...
91
 14
 995

Prologue

There were five of them, returnings from the dying world. Tired, gasping for fresh air, with singed manes and tails - scouts looked like they are straight from the Tartarus. Which wasn’t too far from the truth.

“We couldn’t… do anything, Princess... ” One of the ponies said once she caught her breath.

“It was way too late. Even that magic you used to stabilize at least some parts of their world didn’t do anything. They were doomed long ago we even created the portal.”

Princess Celestia was silent for a while.
As soon as the first report came from ponies that wished to learn more about the new world, and she heard that they found a dying planet, Celestia used virtually all her vast magic potential in a vain attempt to save someone… something… anything.

Had she been on the other side of the portal, she would’ve been dead for sure: Earth didn’t have even a single trace of magic. Nothing.
In Equestria, on the other hoof, the Princess was supported by her subject, who shared their magic with her readily.

Unfortunately, all of these efforts were for nothing. The portal closed, forever sealing the dead world. It was over.

“If only we could go there earlier… if only we knew...”

Celestia stopped for a second and looked at all those ponies that stood near her.

“I… own you all an apology. It’s terrible -- seeing the whole world dying in front of your eyes. But what is worse -- the understanding of a simple fact. You cannot do anything to save. To help. And I-”

In normal circumstances nopony would interrupt Celestia in the middle of her speech. Not because they were afraid of her. They respected her greatly and loved as a wise ruler and a kind pony.

But not now.

Every single pony protested at her words. They told her that it has never been her fault, they comforted her and some ponies even gave her a tight hug.

And nopony noticed that the last scout, Honey Bun, didn’t come from Earth with empty hooves.

“Princess Celestia.” She started.

“Perhaps, there’s still hope. Not for the world, but… I don’t really know how to say… anyway… here....”

She carefully extended her forelegs, showing something, covered in several layers of fabric.

Everypony gasped in astonishment at once. Even Celestia didn’t hold her own gasp down.

Because Honey Bun was holding a human. The last human in the universe.

===========

When amazement diminished, ponies gathered around Honey Bun, to watch how does another sapient race look and learn at least something.

“Hey, the baby’s got some… tentacles at the end of its forelegs! No suction cups, though...”

“Why doesn’t it have any fur? There’s only some on its head, but it might as well be mane.”

“Does anypony know, do these creatures hibernate?”

“Maybe their babies hibernate until they reach a certain age? Kinda like a dragon egg… only without an egg… or a dragon.”

One pony noticed a tag on the baby’s hand:

“Hey, everypony, look! A strip of paper of some sort with writing!”

All attention turned to it.

“...Are these lines and squares supposed to mean something? Looks like pointless painting.”

Honey Bun looked closely at the tag.

“There is another form of writing, below these sings. Looks like letters. Um… ‘Haruka Ayukawa’.”

“...Are you trying to summon an ancient spirit or what? These words don’t make any sense.”

“Maybe it’s a spell of some sort?”

“Most probably, it is this baby’s name.” Princess Celestia remarked.

“What are we going to do with it anyway, Your Majesty?”

“I do not know, if it would have meant something for her specie… but we should give this baby a chance we couldn’t provide to the others. It shall be raised as one of us and we will provide it a good, secure and happy life -- the same life every single pony has. It is the least we can do.”

Honey Bun looked at the baby. It was still sleeping, despite the conversation ponies had. The earth pony remembered that wild and violent fire, consuming a large city. She was about to flee for her life, but suddenly saw how one of those creatures, who used to inhabit these lands, was lending the baby to her and shouting something Honey Bun couldn’t understand.

She dived below and tried to pull out both of them, when a huge wooden beam wreathed in fire squashed the larger alien.
Honey Bun couldn’t stay there any second longer, because her tail and fur started to burn as well. So she flew to the portal as fast as she could, holding the baby tight in her grasp.

“If it is possible, Your Majesty… I want to ask your permission to adopt this baby.” Honey Bun said in a quiet voice.