• Published 12th Aug 2017
  • 4,321 Views, 37 Comments

Red and Gold - Rose Quill



Sunset returns home to face the consequences and finds things she didn't expect.

  • ...
2
 37
 4,321

Late Evening, September 3

My thoughts were turning around in circles. I knew who had covered me the other day. In retrospect, I should have guessed, Fluttershy embodied Kindness, after all.

But what confused me was how often the image of the way she looked as she leaned forward to explain her reasoning for forgiving me of an act she'd never endured. It seemed to rise up to counter the memories of the cruel mistreatment of her counterpart.

Though I had originally accepted the lunch invitation grudgingly, I found I had a lot of fun. I hadn't expected that. I also hadn't expected her reaction to the prospect of meeting more often.

I stared out the window at Luna's canvas, the blanket draped over my withers. I should really return it and thank her for it.

But...it represented the first kind thing anypony had done for me since my return beyond a Royal Decree. Part of me didn't want to let that go.

"Trouble sleeping?" a voice said from behind me.

Turning, I saw Twilight standing there. She walked over and sat next to me. I turned to look at the stars again.

"You ever been confused by your own thoughts?" I asked softly.

"Rather often, to tell the truth," she chuckled nervously. "Why do you ask?"

"The last couple months, I've been trying to reconcile the girls and their counterparts here in my head," I murmured. "When I'm not working on friendship reports or rediscovering Equestrian literature, I keep thinking how, for all the differences, nothing seems to have changed in my situation." I scuffed a hoof on the floor. "And it's confusing. Not to mention that now there is another problem wriggling in my mind that I have to solve."

"Anything I can help with?" she asked with a smile.

I shook my head, subconsciously reaching up to pull the blanket down a little around my form. "Not really," I told her. "It feels more like something I have to figure out myself."

The Princess and Friendship rose and went to leave, turning as she reached the door.

"You know, I'm just down the hall if you ever need to talk," she offered.

I smiled. "I know, Twilight," I said. "And I appreciate it. Give me a day or two to sort my thoughts out and I'll fill you in when I'm ready."

She nodded. "Fair enough," she said. "Goodnight, Sunset,"

"Good night, Twilight."

I stared at the stars for a few more minutes before climbing into bed.

I could return the blanket in the morning. I didn't want to disturb Fluttershy at night.

As I fell asleep, four words echoed in my thoughts, making me smile.

I forgive you, Sunset.