• Published 29th Jul 2017
  • 1,164 Views, 20 Comments

Sonic and EQG: Total Eclipse - SonicAKG

  • ...
2
 20
 1,164

Total Eclipse

Total Eclipse

Today wasn't an ordinary day in the city of Canterlot. The entire city appeared to be in celebration for an event. Decorations such as blue banners depicting the unity of different figures were placed in front of the buildings while a variety of different colored lights lit up the city. There were multicolored lantern and balloons displayed everywhere with a connected tree painted on them. Fireworks for later were already being set up alongside streamers. In addition, a few performances such as live plays and concerts were being prepared as crew members were busily working on the stage in order to make sure everything was ok. Today, Canterlot was celebrating Familial Day, a holiday that was dedicated to appreciating and recognizing one's family. As a result, all the towns residents were getting into the spirit of the holiday by either working on decorations of their own or buying gifts and spending time with their loved ones.

In particular, at Sweet Apple Acres, AppleJack and her friends, which consisted of the Rainbooms alongside Sonic and co. were busy on the property. They were preparing AppleJack's home for some kind of gathering as each of them took on different roles. Sonic, Rainbow Dash and Silver were in charge of setting up the chairs around the area while Rarity, Tails and Manic worked on the decorations and light on the inside. Knuckles and Big Mac placed the large table down in the living room while Fluttershy and Twilight set it up for dinner later on. Pinkie Pie and AppleJack were in the kitchen as they helped Granny Smith prepared the large meal to come while Sunset worked on setting up the music in the backyard. She was joined by Starlight Glimmer, a girl with light pink skin and deep purple hair that contained cyan streaks in it. Like Sunset, she too came from Equestria, a magical world inhabited by ponies and she was the student of Princess Twilight. She had come back to the human world with Sunset, who had gone there earlier to receive a new journal to communicate with Princess Twilight and had even received permission from her mentor to stay there longer. The two of them finished up as the Crusaders, who consisted of AppleBloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo ran past.

Suddenly, a blue streak zipped in front of the two girls, causing their hair to blow as Starlight looked like she was about to faint while Sunset was clearly used to it. It then revealed itself to be Sonic.

"Ok, so all the chairs are good to go." Sonic told them as he gave the thumbs up as Starlight shook her head to regain her composure.

"I'm going to be honest. I'm still not used to this. You're fast, even faster than Rainbow Dash." Starlight admitted with a tired sigh.

"Maybe the other one, but not this one." Rainbow Dash declared as she and the rest of the group walked over to join the three of them as Sonic playfully rolled his eyes. Pinkie and AppleJack then emerged from the kitchen as they hung up their aprons.

"The foods almost ready, y'all. Big Mac and Granny went out for some ingredient. Yer all in for a treat!" AppleJack promised.

"Your taste buds are going to explode!!" Pinkie shrieked excitedly as she nodded in agreement as she made the motion with her hands.

"You know, now, I'm pretty glad Twilight gave me permission to stay here." Starlight said as she sat down on the grass for a small break. " It gives me a chance to observe the customs of this world, such as this one. Reminds me a bit of the Sunset Festival I have back home."

"I'm glad you feel that way, Starlight. Believe me, you can learn a lot from this world. ." Sunset responded.

"I think we all owe it to AppleJack for inviting all of us and our families here in the first place." Tails said as AppleJack slightly adjusted her hat.

"It was nothin'. This day's all about celebratin' with family and I figured it would be better with ma friends too. Besides, I remembered that some of y'all wouldn't get the chance to experience what the holiday is like." AppleJack explained as she turned to Knuckles, Silver, and Sunset, who didn't have any biological relatives. "I didn't want y'all feelin' left out."

"You didn't have to go all this way. I mean, I've been doing alright on my own for a while." Knuckles said as he pointed to himself, earning a snicker from Manic.

"Yeah, sure. How many times have you been tricked by Eggman, again?" Manic quipped as Knuckles lowered his eyelids in annoyance.

"While I never got to know my birth family, I had my master, who I guess was like a father to me. He taught so much. Not to mention I also had Edmund looking out for me. He was like my second master, I suppose." Silver elaborated.

"And now, we all have each other. You've all made me feel a part of this world, this feels more like my home than Equestria honestly ." Sunset added as she put her hand on Silver's shoulder as the others looked on in agreement.

Suddenly, Twilight just remembered something as she was petting Spike.

"Wait, where's Shadow? Shouldn't he be here as well?" She brought up as all eyes were on her now.

"Give him some time. I already sent him a text telling him to come here, but he doesn't check his messages often." Sonic casually said with a handwave.

"Shadow? Is that the guy we ran into at the mall and he just teleported away without even saying hi?" Starlight asked while raising an eyebrow.

"Sounds like him." Spike dryly said.

"Oh, well, I get the feeling he doesn't like me very much." Starlight confessed.

"Don't take it personally. He doesn't like anyone." Manic reassured.

"Except me!" Pinkie exclaimed cheerfully from the back as she then put her arms around Starlight. "Don't you worry about, Shady! He may look all grumpy, but he's super duper nice! You'll see when he comes and joins us!"

Starlight wasn't so sure, but she guessed she'd just have to wait and see.

"I hope he comes soon, I'd hate for him to be all alone, especially today." Fluttershy expressed with a concerned look.

Suddenly, a large green flash appeared in front of the barn, gathering everyone's attention. The source of it was revealed to be Shadow as he knelt down on the ground.

"Talk about perfect timing. Glad, you could make it, Faker." He then heard Sonic say as he turned to see him and the others. Shadow rose up from the ground and examined the state of Sweet Apple Acres before his eyes landed back to the group.

"Sonic, I just read your message. What is so important here that you called me?" Shadow inquired.

Before Sonic could explain, Pinkie appeared in front of Shadow's face up close with an extremely excited look on her face.

"Well, we called you here because today is Familial Day and AppleJack decided to host all of us here today so we can celebrate with all our families together! It's really important that you come here as you don't have a family of your own and AppleJack especially wants you here so you can have a great time whether you have a family or not!" Pinkie rapidly informed him as she backed up.

'You don't have a family'. Those 5 words echoed in Shadow's head as his eyes widened as he contemplated over what they meant exactly. Shadow's face changed from a look of surprise to a more serious apathetic look while Pinkie still stood in front of him with a cheerful grin. It was clear she didn't realize what she had actually said.

"You're right. I don't have a family. So there's no reason for me to be here.." Shadow responded as Pinkie's expression changed from happy to confused while the others also gave him puzzled looks.

"See you around." He added as he turned around and started to walk away from the group.

"Shadow, wait! Didn't ya hear what Pinkie said?! Ah planned all this so you could feel included!" AppleJack called out, making Shadow stop in his tracks.

"I did." He responded without even turning around.

"Come on, Shadow. AppleJack went out of her way for you." Silver told him.

"Yeah. Not just for you. For, me, Silver and Sunset as well. She know's we all don't have families either, so she did this all for us. We're like you, so you can stick around." Knuckles offered as he stuck his hand out.

"That's where you're wrong. We aren't alike." Shadow denied.

"Come on, Shadow. Can't you cut off the whole misunderstood loner act for at least one day?" Rainbow Dash said with an annoyed look as she put her hands on her hips.

"Hey, Dash. Take it easy." Tails reprimanded as she slightly grumbled and crossed her arms.

"I already told you, I have no interest in these formalities." Shadow insisted. "Now if you'll excuse me."

Shadow took more steps forward but Pinkie suddenly appeared in front of him frantically.

"Shady, you can't be alone on today of all days! It's all about celebrating how close you are with people!" Pinkie yelled.

"Pinkie.." Shadow said but she didn't hear him.

"We also do a lot of fun things to show it! We decorate together and make things look so pretty! We make all sorts of delicious treats!"

"Pinkie..."

"And after that, when all the family comes together, it gets really fun!

"Pinkie.."

"We play games! Share stories! Exchange gifts and traditions! We even get to-

"Pinkie Pie!" Shadow firmly yelled, much to her astonishment as she stopped in her tracks to see Shadow's solemn expression. Her smiled then faded as Shadow sighed.

"...Look, just enjoy your day, alright? I already told you I have no interest or need to participate. Don't stop that from letting you celebrate with the others. Just leave me be and I'll do as I please." Shadow said before he disappeared in a green flash as everyone looked on. Pinkie put her head down as she looked pretty disappointed while her friends exchanged looks. Starlight looked uncomfortable due to everything that had happened.

"Well, he seems nice....ish." She awkwardly said but she wasn't fooling anyone.

"Yep, that's typical Shadow for you." Manic said with a shrug.

"I don't get it. Why would he want to be alone after I made him feel welcome?" AppleJack wondered.

"I know! That was quite rude if you ask me! Even after you invited him, he declines. Someone needs to work on their manners!" Rarity expressed with disapproval.

"Believe me, I know Shadow hasn't had it easy. But something seemed off about the way he acted. It was different from his usual brooding." Sonic pondered as he rubbed his chin. "Especially what he did at the end with Pinkie."

"You think something's bothering him that?" Twilight asked but Sonic simply shrugged.

"Could be. Honestly, I can never read that guy." Sonic admitted.

" I say we give him some time. After a while, if he still doesn't want to join, then that's his decision. We still have stuff to do." Knuckles proposed.

"Knuckles is right. We still want the place to look good for when everyone else gets here." Rainbow Dash said.

"Y'all are right. Let's get back to work." AppleJack agreed as she and others stood up and started to head back to their post. Pinkie was still standing in the same location with a melancholic expression as she held her arm. She was clearly bothered by what happened with Shadow. Starlight noticed it and walked up to her and put her arm around her.

"Hey, I know you're feeling down, but there are still plenty of other people who you can make happy. And who knows? Maybe Shadow'll come around." Starlight comforted as Pinkie let out a a disappointed sigh.

"Yeah. Maybe." She uttered as the two of them walked back to the barn.

Meanwhile, Sunset was looking out as she thought about Shadow's reaction. She hadn't moved for a while as everyone else was getting back to work. She did this for a while before she came to a decision.

"You guys get started without me. There's something I need to do." Sunset called back to her friends as she started to leave Sweet Apple Acres. She then rushed out quickly.


On the rooftop of Canterlot High, Shadow was standing on top of it as he stared out into space with his arms crossed. 'Family.' What did that word mean to Shadow exactly? Aboard the ARK, Maria had been like a sister to him before she was taken away and Professor Gerald had created him. After that, Shadow had thought he had no other family. Until the emergence of the Black Arms, a warlike species bent on conquering earth. Like Shadow, they were dominated by a red and black color scheme. During their invasion of the planet, they had approached Shadow and attempted to use him in order to aid in their mission. All under the orders of their leader, Black Doom. Shadow didn't understand why they had seemed so fixated on him until it was revealed that he had been created using Black Doom's DNA. Thus, he too, was a member of the Black Arms. Ultimately, he didn't side with them and he took down Black Doom and his followers. Personally. Sure, the Black Arms had been a violent war-mongering race and they had threatened the planet Shadow was sworn to protect, but nonetheless, they were still his own kind. Shadow had to wage war and doom his own race to near extinction. That is why Shadow truly didn't know what to make of the word 'Family'. He himself was the reason why he had no living kin. The only Black Arms left were himself and that other one.....

"You and I are the last remaining Black Arms. I propose we work together. You’re the closest thing to family I have left. Leave behind these weak creatures. You don’t belong with them. We’re better off with each other." Shadow remembered Eclipse telling him.

Shadow couldn't work with Eclipse. It would go against everything he had promised to fight for. But at the same time, did he really belong with Sonic and his friends? He had always been distant from them despite Pinkie Pie's efforts. Perhaps there was a reason for that....

"I figured you would be here."Shadow heard Sunset say as he turned around to see her approaching him. He then faced her.

"I already said I have no interest in this Familial Day or whatever." Shadow reminded her. Sunset raised her hands in defense.

"I know. I'm not going to force you to come and join us. But I want to understand what's going on with you. Clearly, there's something more to this that you're not sharing." Sunset stated as Shadow raised an eyebrow. He had to give her credit. She was good at this whole 'feelings stuff.'

"You would not understand." Shadow just said as he turned away from her.

"I won't know unless I try. Shadow, you have so many friends who accept you and are welcoming with open arms. Why are you pushing us away?" Sunset said in a quizzical tone.

"Hmph. I don't recall ever becoming a part of your little group." Shadow responded. He then saw how sincere Sunset's face and his expression softened a bit.

"Sunset, you should go. As I said before, I wish to be alone. Go back to your friends." Shadow then said as he turned around away from her.

"They're our friends. Shadow, please!" Sunset pleaded as she reached out her hand. As she did, took a hold of his hand unintentionally and stopped in her tracks as her eyes flashed white.


Sunset could now see Shadow's memories and feelings. She saw him standing on the outskirts of a large city as the sky turned red and made a void. From it, a series of creatures with jet black and crimson skin, somewhat resembling Shadow emerged as they react havoc on the city. She then Shadow was in a red void and standing next to a figure with a menacing appearance who had 3 orange eyes and twin horns sticking out of its head. It had a worn robe with various chains and jewelry hanging around it and no lower body with three clawed hands. Next, Shadow was in a ruined city that the creatures were attacking. He teleported and kicked a flying one away, vanished again to knock down a brute before he teleported once more to punch down a soldier. Shadow then took a large purple curved sword as he ran a giant monster through. Later, Shadow was in a different section of the city as he battled against a large winged creature that looked like a cross between a maggot and a dragon as it had one green eye in the center with a very blubbery body. The next time she saw Shadow, he was golden and airborne as he was in combat with a giant one eyed gargoyle of some sort whose lower half was rooted to a large boulder with spines on its torso. Lastly, Shadow was lifting a giant comet in space as he faced a giant spacecraft. From it, a large green laser emerged that vaporized the comet.


Sunset's vision ended as she gasped out loud to see Shadow staring at her. He wasn't kidding. She really had no idea what he was going through. Sunset was totally at a loss for words. She had dealt with her friends issues before but this was on a totally different level. What was on Shadow's mind was intense.

"Shadow..I...I.." Sunset tried to say but truth be told, she didn't know what to tell him exactly.

Before she could go even further, a blue blur then zipped up on the rooftop, making both her and Shadow turn in its direction. It was Sonic.

"Ha, knew, I'd find you here, Sunset. The others were asking for you as-wow. Am I interrupting something?" Sonic suddenly said as he noticed Shadow and Sunset holding hands.

Sunset realized what Sonic meant and quickly let go of Shadow's hand in a flustered manner while Shadow just didn't react.

"No! It's not what you think!" Sunset quickly explained as Sonic walked up.

"If you say so." He responded before he turned to face Shadow. "So Faker, changed your mind?"

"No. Now, this is my cue to leave." Shadow replied.

"Shadow, we-" Sunset began before she was interrupted by Shadow teleporting. Sonic and Sunset then exchanged glances.

"So, I take it you didn't have much luck trying to understand him?" Sonic asked her.

"Sonic, you have no idea." She just said as she started to feel awful that she couldn't do anything to help Shadow.


A base that belonged to G.U.N, the Guardian Unit of Nations and the organization that Shadow was a part of, was seen. The inside was a grey coloured military area that contained many soldiers dressed in black military uniforms with clear visors and wore guns. The symbol, which was the letter 'G' wrapped in a wreath with stars could be seen everywhere. Underneath the top part of the base was a dark corridor. In it was a large glass wall that covered a dark red room that was meant to be a holding cell. In the room was a prisoner who was strapped to a table with metal cuffs. This prisoner was Eclipse the Darkling, the last full blooded Black Arms and Shadow's 'brother'. The black alien with red markings and a headpiece similar to Shadow's hair wore a heavy scowl on his face as a smiling soldier came in front of him.

"How you doin' alien scum? He taunted as Eclipse's yellow eyes and black sclera glared intensely at him and grit his sharp yellow teeth.

This was all Shadow's fault. This human should have been food, but instead, he could talk down to Eclipse because Shadow, that traitor, had sworn to protect their world rather than the Black Arms! How could he so easily betray his own kind?

"Just wanted to let you know, today, we're going to examine that ship of yours! We finally found the time and resources to do it. I wonder what you were hiding." The soldier mocked as he walked away to leave the bitter Eclipse.

As Eclipse was captive, his face suddenly broke out into one of horror. What if the humans found his special project?! Then the Black Arms would be done for!

Eclipse tried to struggle, but it was in vain. The straps restricted his powers. All he could now was to just hope that his Dark Arms would be alright.


Meanwhile, in another underground section was a large white room. Eclipse's spaceship, which was beige clam shaped vehicle with two protruding boosters in the back was attached to a series of wires as a dozen G.U.N soldiers and a scientist, who was a bald and tall middle aged man wearing a white robe came to examine it.

"All right. See what you can find! What is in there could prove to be useful." The scientist instructed as the soldiers entered it with their guns ready.

The inside of Eclipse's ship was colored red and quite damaged as there were broken pieces of alien technology everywhere such as monitors and ship handles due it having had crashed on the planet. A broken chair in half was in the center The soldiers were on their guard as they kept a look out on the area, aiming their guns about. Suddenly, one soldier noticed something on the left in a small section of the room.

"Hey, I found something!" He yelled as his fellow soldiers came to see what he had found.

The soldiers were looking at 4 large red shaped pods of some sort. They appeared to be organic, perhaps eggs. The troops had their weapons aimed at them but looked on with curiosity.

"Wow! What do you think these are?" One trooper asked.

Suddenly, the eggs began to wobble, startling the soldiers as a large crack appeared on one of them....


In his cell, Eclipse couldn't stop worrying about the search in his spaceship. It was driving him insane.

"(I can't let them get to the Dark Arms! I worked so hard to cultivate them and they are the last chance for the Black Arms to survive! There has to be some way I can escape!)" He thought to himself desperately.

Suddenly, Eclipse heard the sound of what appeared to be yelling. He heard a few gun shots fired and what sounded like things being crashed on the wall. It seemed like a fight was going on as Eclipse looked on with a stumped expression.

It was silent for some time before a soldier was suddenly thrown on the floor as he slid against the ground. He was knocked out as his visor was cracked and he moaned. Eclipse then turned from him to see the source of his pain. When his eyes landed on them, he let out a large sigh of relief and his face formed a huge grin.

"You're alive! This is wonderful! No, don't be afraid, little ones! I am here to look after you! Train you!" Eclipse said as four shadowed figures appeared before him. Some noises, which sounded like a mixture between croaking and beeping were heard.

"And then, we will have our vengeance and devour this world!" He promised in a dark and menacing tone.