• Published 27th Jul 2017
  • 1,268 Views, 14 Comments

The Vampire Protection Program - InkHeartBrony



I once was a vampire hunter, now I'm a vampire protector.

  • ...
1
 14
 1,268

Vampires AND ghosts?

I flipped through the pages of Spirits, Vampires, and Werewolves, Volume 6, reading every word carefully and paying attention to any mention of vampires. If I was to help Fluttershy I needed to know everything.

I thought it was strange though, I had never seen this book once looking through the Canterlot library, and it was never given to us in training. We all read the five volumes, everything that was needed to know about spirits, vampires, and werewolves.

I never knew there was a volume 6, and reading through it, I noticed it was... a bit different from the others.

It was the book that contained the spell which made Fluttershy a creature of the night. It was chock full of spells, just like the other volumes, but these spells had different intentions. Many used dark magic, to summon spirits, to become a beast yourself, or how to steal and throw away the memories of other ponies. So they would never remember something they saw.

The other volumes and spells on how to kill monsters, how to brew certain potions to heal yourself and others. They were much nicer than this one.

Maybe it's why volume 6 was never offered. Volume 6 was full of spells that were incomplete, chaotic, and evil.

But it also had information that I didn't know.

"Oooooh!"

I yelped, hearing a strange ghostly voice behind me. I dropped my book and turned around, and gasped.

Who stood there was no pony, but was once one, in fact, they weren't really standing. They were floating. It looked as though there was some sort of glowing fog coming out from there body and dissipating away. Their original colors were dulled down and barely visible, but I could tell the spirit was originally lime green with a blond poofy mane up in a bun held together by a black bow.

The ghostly pegasus stared at me with a gloomy expression on her face, her front hooves crossed and her glowing red eyes were that of annoyance.

"Sour Tart?" I asked, "why are you here? Come to kill me or something?"

"I didn't ask for this! I don't want to be your roommate!"

"Sour, you can just leave. I don't have time to deal with you right now. Besides, I quit the hunting business."

"Actually, no! I can't leave! Haven't you read enough of that book to know ghosts cannot leave their home?"

"I thought your home was your apartment in Manehattan."

"No! Their original home! I grew up in this library! I was the librarian before you! Why do you think this library already had a place to sleep, and a kitchen, before you even came to live here? It was always meant to be a home as well. So now I'm stuck here, cursed to haunt you, because some pony decided to kill me!"

"I only killed you because you stole the key to get this, and you know, it was my job to kill vampires." I held up the book, then tapped my hoof to my chin. "Hmm, I was actually wondering why you traveled to Ponyville just to steal a key to a drawer... wait you lived here? That's how you knew about it?"

"Yep. funny, huh? I hate you, you hate me, now we're roommates! just wonderful, at least I get to bother you twenty-four seven."

I groaned. "So what, you're trapped here and I have to deal with you?"

"Well, not until you get a castle, princess."

"I doubt I will. Seriously, I'm not even the princess of anything. Anyway, I'm busy. Go away."

I picked up my book with my magic, going to put it away. She floated in front of the staircase to block me, but I simply walked right through her without a second glance. I shut the book away, and grabbed my black saddlebag.

"Where are you going?" Sour asked curiously.

"A friends house." I glared at her suspiciously.

"Well, not anymore!" she giggled, and flew straight into my bag. My possessed bag got up and floated away a few feet in the air.

"Hey!" I yelled, trying to grab ahold of it with my magic. I tugged on it, but it pulled back, soon I was playing tug of war with a possessed saddlebag.

"Come, on!" I yelled angrily, giving it one final hard tug. But right as I did, Sour flew out of it and grinned smugly as the bag flew towards me, all the contents flying out, which I caught and gathered back up.

I stomped towards my door in annoyance.

"I'll miss you!" the sarcastic spirit called out I opened the door, stepped out, and shut it closed.


"Okay Fluttershy, I need you to tell me exactly what you remember."

We sat on her couch in her home. Her animals ran around, every once in a while chirping or chattering.

"Well..." she looked up, her hooves were held close to her, her eyes looked scared and a string of hair fell over her face. "I-I-" she gulped, blinking, and reopening her eyes to shine bright red. Her face changed from worry and confusion to sudden remembrance.

When she began to tell me everything, I could almost see it through her eyes.


I woke up with a start, I saw you, Twilight, peacefully sleeping on a chair with a notebook in your lap. I was unable to fall back asleep, it was very late, 2 a.m to be exact. I felt like I needed fresh air, I wanted to be outside, so I did. Quietly leaving my cottage and standing out on my bridge and looking at the pond.

I began to think of you. I said to myself that I must get back to the cottage, it would definitely worry you if you woke and I wasn't present.

But then I thought of Spike, I thought of how lonely he must be, something in my mind told me to give him a visit. It would be nice to make sure he was doing alright without you. It made more sense at the time, of course.

I found my way to The Golden Oak Library. But along the way, with each step forward, I felt a change. I felt hungry, I felt like the darkness of night was no longer something to be afraid if, and something instead to embrace. I was surprised at how well I could see at night, and how that strange hungry feeling was making my thoughts foggy and unclear.

I went into your home, and when I entered I could no longer control my body. My mind was telling me to take Spike somewhere 'safe'. Where nopony could find him. My limbs moved without my wanting to, I stumbled around and crashed into things.

My hunger was getting stronger, my vision was getting blurry, I stumbled forward and the crashes woke Spike. He saw me and asked why my eyes were red and bloodshot, he asked why me wings looked strange and he asked why I was here. I tried to speak but it only came out as groans, groans of hunger and thirst.

I stared at Spike as if he was a meal, not a living being. I went forward with my fangs, cutting across his arm. He tried to get back, his claws digging into his bed, he tried to get away but he couldn't.

I hurt him until he was unconscious, and when he was, I dragged him back to my cottage. I had completely forgotten you were there, and something in the forest glint and caught my eye.

I started bringing him closer to the shiny metal spotted. I pushed aside dirt and twigs and saw a door. When I pulled on it, it opened with ease. I saw a staircase, I saw a storage room.

I pulled him down, and lay him on the floor... I remember there were other things in the room, but my mind was too fogged to know what... I only knew I had caught a meal, and I would have to store that meal. They were just instincts, animalistic instincts.

He was there all day, and all day I- your friend- didn't know where he was, that's true. I had, at the time, no recollection of any of it.

I came back later that night, I wasn't going to kill him, not yet at least. I did rip skin, I did drink blood, but he, luckily, survived.

That's when you found me, still in my vampiric form, hearing your scream, a friend's scream, I woke up somewhat. I didn't remember everything, but I remembered some.

After that, you know what happened next.

But, I did talk with Spike, he told me he had had a strange dream that I had kidnapped him... and I went along with it, laughing and saying that it was such a silly dream.

The only thing he does remember is waking up in a dark room with no way out, it made it easy for us to convince him he was kidnapped by the diamond dogs.


"But, how did you open the door?" I asked.

"It just opened, I didn't do anything." Fluttershy- no, Flutterbat, looked at me with her red piercing eyes. In no way being a threat, but she remembered the events much better than Fluttershy.

"Hmm, I read in my book that all creatures of darkness possess some sort of dark magic... it's why you could open it, but the rest of us couldn't... but why was the door locked with dark magic, and you mentioned there were things in the room? You're sure you don't remember what those were?"

She shook her head. "No, but, if it was dark magic, shouldn't it have led to something different like a worst fear? Like what you told us about from the Crystal Empire?"

"Well," I started, "not always, a regular magic lock spell can be broken, dark magic in non-dark ponies is incredibly difficult and strong. The only way to break a dark spell is with a dark spell. Whoever cast the spell, did not want that place to be opened. Whatever you saw in there- is something some pony wanted hidden."

Fluttershy looked down in thought, then looked back up at me with her bright teal eyes, waiting for me to say more.

"But, I guess that mystery should be pushed aside for a bit. I came here to hear your side of the story, and also to inform you of the abilities of vampires. It will help you adjust and be more aware." I smiled, and cleared my throat. "Being a vampire, with the help of dark magic, will give you better strength, speed, hearing, and smell. You could probably smell blood from miles away, and once you learn more, you will be able to identify what blood it is, whether it's blood from a pony, or a rabbit, or a squirrel. Which, could very well help you find injured animals. I can help you gain better control of this, so that you won't lose control every time one of your animals is bleeding."

She looked rather frightened for a moment, but listened intently.

"So, in the future, it could help you with your care taking of animals. But being a blood sucker, you do have to drink blood or you will completely black out. Not enough blood, equals not enough sanity. You will hurt, even kill, any pony or animal in your path. You will resort to animalistic behavior and not speak or understand me, pretty much how you were on Applejack's farm with the bat incident, but much more dangerous."

Now it just seemed like the more I spoke, the more scared and small she got. At this point she was curled up in the chair with her tail covering her face. She was shaking violently and whimpering.

"Uhh... too much?" I asked, gulping and looking at her with concern. I laughed nervously, and took a sip of my tea. I stood up, my teacup floating in my magical aura. "I'll just, uh, get a tea refill."

I trotted into her kitchen, and sighed. I quietly spoke aloud to myself, "and now i've made her more scared than ever. Great going Twilight."

I picked up the teapot and poured hot water into my cup. I dropped in the teabag and stirred it a bit before returning to the other room.

"Okay, Fluttershy I-" I froze, and stared at Fluttershy.

She sat still in her chair, rope wrapped around her, behind her, tying the knot was dear Angel Bunny.

"I don't wanna hurt any pony!" she cried.

"Fluttershy! You won't! I'll make sure you don't! Angel, untie her."

Fluttershy looked at me, her lips shaking. "Twilight! I'm a monster, I have to keep myself away from everyone!"

"No you don't. You don't even have to drink blood from ponies. I was planning on going to the Ponyville hospital and striking a deal. I can bring you blood bags, and you won't have to hurt any pony."

"But that's still stealing! That's supposed to go to ponies in need!"

"And right now, that pony in need, is you."

I stepped forward, and raised my chin. "You are not Fluttershy anymore. You are Flutterbat. So stop being afraid of the world, and be brave instead."