• Published 27th Jul 2017
  • 1,268 Views, 14 Comments

The Vampire Protection Program - InkHeartBrony



I once was a vampire hunter, now I'm a vampire protector.

  • ...
1
 14
 1,268

No Worries

"I'm so sorry that I cannot continue. I apologize greatly for the trouble."

"No." Princess Celestia said, she did not look at me, but faced the stained glass window. "It is alright, Twilight. I understand. I know what it's like to see somepony you love succumb to darkness. I should have given you the choice to continue this job after you became an alicorn, it was wrong of me to let you continue."

She turned to me and smiled, "You will soon have greater duties as a princess. You will no longer work alongside with the hunters but be a great example to them. I'm glad that Fluttershy is no longer trapped with that beast, and that it does not return."

"It won't Princess, I made sure of that."

She sighed in relief. "You have done well as a hunter, but now you can sleep your nights peacefully and without worry." she put a hoof on my shoulder, and nodded.

I looked at her and smiled gratefully. I walked down the hall and two guards opened the large double doors to the outside.


Looking back on it, I realize that the work of a hunter is stressful. I barely slept and had to lie to Spike and call it "Late night studying".

Now I would get to relax and sleep like a rock, no worries, no thought, no nothing.

But my sense for adventure itched at me. I felt like I needed to go out and do something, but I pushed it aside, sighing and falling onto my soft welcoming bed.

That is when I heard the knock.

My eyes opened suddenly, and I grit my teeth.

Seriously, if it was Rainbow or Pinkie again... I stood up and slowly made my way downstairs, my mane messy and tangled and my eyes half open as I clumsily went down to the library.

The knocking became faster and more frantic, but that didn't make me move any faster. I assumed it was Rainbow back with a whoopee cushion or something.

I yawned and opened my door with a "Hello?"

Fluttershy stood before me, her bright teal eyes looked scared and traumatized. Her mane and tail were scruffy and full of twigs and leaves. Her ears were down and one of them looked scratched.

My eyes widened, "Fluttershy?" I asked, and Fluttershy entered and walked right by me. I shut the door and stared at her as she began pulling books from the shelves, pushing them aside, looking for something.

"Where's that book?" she asked.

"Uhh..." I tilted my head, "what book?"

"The one that changed me back." she said, pushing more books away, "the one that should've changed me back!" she said, her voice suddenly getting loud.

She stopped, and looked at me with bright red glowing eyes.

I ran over to her and pushed her hoof away from the books, she looked at me and sighed, looking down as her eyes went back to teal.

"I-I'm sorry." she said, sitting down. "Twilight. I don't know what to do, this morning I woke up in Applejack's farm surrounded by-" she gulped, and I was so afraid of what she was going to say, "shriveled, rotten apples." she finished, and I sighed in relief.

Thank Celestia.

"Fluttershy, we'll figure it out, alright?" I said, "maybe it'll take a little longer for that to wear off." I put my hoof on her shoulder, and she looked at me with doubt.

"B-but that's not the first time it's happened!" she said shakily.

"Look, I know you're scared but-"

"What if I hurt somepony?" she gasped, and covered her eyes with a squeak.

"Fluttershy, you're not an actual vampire. You won't hurt anypony, the worst you can do is destroy Applejack's farm."

"But that would be hurting Applejack! Oh, she'll be so mad!"

"Look, I'll watch you tonight. Make sure you don't go anywhere and figure out what's going on. Does that make you feel better?"

She nodded.

"Alright, I'll find the book again. Go find Spike, he'll clean you up and get you orange juice or something."

"Apple juice?" she pleaded.

For a moment I swear I thought her eyes flickered red. But I pushed it aside and assumed it to be just my imagination.

"Sure." I said, and she got strangely excited to find Spike, running into the next room.

I began searching my bookshelves, looking for that book, "aha!" I said, finding the key still in it's lock.

I really should stop leaving it out like that. I turned the key and opened the cabinet with ease. I took it out with my magic and shut the cabinet.

I flipped through the pages until I found the page. I read the lines carefully, and found myself questioning the wording.

To rid one of their hearts desire.

Can be cast on one singular or a group of creatures. The spell may have lasting effects on the creature it was transported into.

"Transported into?" I asked aloud.

One's strongest desire cannot be taken away, but stored into another living being. The spell may have effects if it was transported into a different species of creature, and slowly they will turn into it.

Some have reported becoming something entirely different and often dangerous. Side effects- reported by users- include: Sleep deprivation, sleepwalking, reddening of the eyes, teeth growth, fur growth, growth of canine features, vampiric habits, heightened smell, speed, strength, and some cases immortality.

Any death, blood loss, or the desire to howl at the moon is not the spell creators fault and he is honestly probably dead at this point.

I sat down, and stared at the book making sure I had read that right.

Behind me from another room I heard a clatter. A clatter of metal hitting my kitchen floor.

"Deja vu." I groaned, and walked into the kitchen.

Fluttershy sat on the floor guiltily, looking up at me with her large teal eyes like a puppy. Atop her head was a colander. Around her were various things spilled on the floor. Containers, food, and most importantly which she held onto tightly in her hooves was a large plastic apple juice container.

I facehoofed. "Fluttershy, what happened?"

"Umm..." she looked down, "I knocked something over?" she pushed up the silvery colander away from her eyes.

Then, from a random spot on the apple juice bottle, some apple juice spilled out and onto the floor.

"Is there a hole in it?" I asked, lifting it with my magic to look closer. I inspected it, and found two small holes on the side.

I lowered it and stared at Fluttershy. "Fluttershy?" I asked, stepping closer, "are you feeling okay?"

"Umm, well, I saw the juice, a-and I reached for it, then something just happened... and now I'm here."

I fished a roll of duct tape form one of the drawers, and taped it over the hole. Dismissing the situation and pouring her a glass of apple juice.

She grabbed it from the counter and immediately started to drink from it like she hadn't drunk in days.

With my magic I placed everything back in it's rightful place.

"So," I said looking at Fluttershy, "I found the book, but..." I bit my lip, "I didn't find anything that sounded strange and I couldn't find a reverse spell. I'll watch you tonight, and we'll get our data from there." I beamed. "I'll just get my quill, ink and some paper to take notes on, sound fun?"

Fluttershy looked down, pausing for a moment, "O-oh okay."

Then she proceeded to happily sip her drink as if she didn't hear me at all.


"Okay Fluttershy." I said, pacing back and forth in her room as she stood in front of me with a small white mouse on her shoulder. "It's time for you to go to sleep. I'll watch you and make sure you don't leave the house. You might wanna send your mouse out."

Fluttershy looked at him sadly, "um, Whiskers, could you excuse us please?"

The mouse nodded and left the room. I shut the door behind him softly as to not wake the other animals.

Fluttershy got into her bed, making herself comfortable.

"Now, it may take you a little while to fall aslee-" I started.

Fluttershy began snoring, and I chuckled.

I looked up at the ticking clock next to her window. 9:24. I looked out at the window where the crescent moon shone and the stars sparkled in the sky.

I took my bag out from underneath my chair, and opened the black saddlebag full of all my knives, binoculars, and my cloak. Hopefully I wouldn't have to use.

With nothing better to do, I looked at Fluttershy. She was cute when she slept, I don't mean that in a creepy way, I, uh, am just saying... well, okay, Flutterhsy in general is cute. Anypony would agree with that.

I watched for hours, I waited for something to happen- but nothing did.

Not even when it hit twelve, which is when vampires usually come out. Nothing happened.

I read and reread my book over and over again and found nothing helpful.

I started to get tired, (and bored) at around 12:30 a.m, no, 1 a.m? I couldn't tell, but at some point I dozed off.

Waking up to the sun shining through the window, and Fluttershy was no different then how she was when I fell asleep.

I yawned, and looked at Fluttershy who was just waking up, she groaned, and looked at me, her eyes widening and she yelped, falling back and immediately covering herself with her blanket.

"Oh! Twilight! You-you startled me! I forgot you were here!"

"That's fine, sorry if I scared you." I said. "I want to tell you that nothing happened though. The most interesting thing that happened while you were asleep is that you snore. Luckily you're better than Spike." I chuckled. "He snores like a bear, you snore more like..." I put my hoof to my chin, "a mouse."

Fluttershy chuckled, and got out of her bed. "I'll take that as a compliment. Anyway, what do you want for breakfast? I'm glad we're both morning mares."

"I'm more of a morning mare when I'm ready for research, but I'll-" I yawned, "wake up eventually."

"I'll get something to eat." she smiled and left the room.

Well, that was uneventful. Maybe she just dreamed the whole thing.

But that wouldn't explain why she came to your house covered in twigs and leaves.

Maybe it just took some time to wear off, I'm sure she's fine now.

She has to be. Nothing happened. Nothing happened.

Something feels off.

I followed her down the stairs, and watched as she began to cook.

Just then we both heard a crash, turning our heads to her window, now open, a rainbow of colors fell and crashed in front of me.

Rainbow Dash rubbed her head, her wings sprawled as she lay on her back with her hind legs up against the wall. Immediately she stood up, her eyes wide.

"Spike!" she yelled.

"What, what about Spike?" I asked in a scared tone.

Rainbow looked at me, and I had never seen her look so scared in her life.

"He's missing."