• Published 8th Oct 2020
  • 572 Views, 14 Comments

CMC: The Third Generation - PhoenixTDM



A series of one-shots detailing the adventures of three fillies on a quest to find what makes them special and earn their cutie marks

  • ...
 14
 572

The Night of Nightmares (Part 1)

It was Nightmare Night in Equestria. The whole town was decorated in spooky decorations, and foals were going door to door dressed in costumes to get candy. Jany was standing in her room trying on different costumes with her magic.

She originally wanted to dress up as a pony made of candy, but she quickly stopped being a fan of that idea when she saw herself in the mirror with the costume. It looked really ugly. It looked like she fell into a cauldron full of candy.

“Hmmm what if I go as a dragon?” The superhero outfit she was wearing instantly changed to a green scary-looking dragon costume.

“No, I don’t like this, either!” She groaned. A knock at her door surprised her and she almost forgot about her costume-debacle.

“Can I come in?” Zany, her father, called from outside her room.

“Yeah,” Jany responded. Her door opened and Zany walked in. He was a gray earth stallion with spiky pink hair and red swirly eyes, and his cutie mark was a black and white swirl.

“Are you ready for Nightmare Night!? The best night of the year! Wait, I thought you were going as a candy pony, not a dragon,” Zany said.

“It looked hideous! But this dragon doesn’t seem right, either. I want to go as something cool and maybe scary, but I don’t know! I originally said a candy pony because I love candy, and candy is what you eat on Nightmare Night, but now I’m thinking something more scary,” Jany explained.

“Hmm… What are your friends going as again?” He asked.

“Fluffball and Cheeseball are going to be a prince and princess, and Sun Ray is going to be Nightmare Moon,” Jany told him.

“Well, since Sun Ray is going to be Nightmare Moon, what if you be Daybreaker? Then you can match,” Zany suggested.

“Yeah! That’s the best idea ever! Thanks, Dad!” She hugged him. He hugged her back and said, “You’re welcome, Jany! Now, let’s see that Daybreaker costume!”

There was a bright flash of light on Jany’s body, and her dragon costume turned into the coolest looking Daybreaker costume she had ever seen. Since she had chaos magic, her mane and tail started flowing and looked like fire, and her eyes turned dark brown and bright yellow like Daybreaker’s. She had a horn, wings, fangs, and dark orange armor with sun patterns.

Jany looked in the mirror and saw her awesome costume, “THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING THING I’VE EVER SEEN! I LOOK EXACTLY LIKE HER!” Jany shouted.

“Wow, that is SO COOL! You really do look just like Daybreaker! Your friends are going to be so impressed! It’s a wonder what our chaos magic can do!” Zany said.

“Yeah! Sun Ray is going to be so jealous when she sees how awesome my costume is! Fluffball, too,” She said.

“I’ve gotta finish setting up the Haunted Graveyard with your mom and Applespike! The trick-or-treaters are gonna be so scared! Bye, Jany! Go to your Aunt Screwball and Uncle Mothball’s house,” He teleported away, and Jany looked at herself in the mirror again.

“Wow, this is so amazing!” She squealed. Jany grabbed her trick-or-treating bag with her mouth and teleported to the wooden cottage next to the Castle of Chaos. She knocked on the door and her Uncle Mothball opened it, holding a bowl of candy.

“WOAH!” He stepped back when he saw her costume, “Jany, is that you!?”

“Yep! Isn’t this costume SO COOL!?” She grinned.

“Yeah! I thought you were the real Daybreaker for a minute there,” Mothball agreed.

“Is Fluffball here?” Jany asked. Mothball nodded, “She’s putting on her costume. Your Aunt Screwball and I are going to go help your parents and Applespike with the Haunted Graveyard! You guys should come and visit it when you’re done!”

“Is Grandpa Discord helping you guys, too? He told me that he has an extra special surprise for Nightmare Night,” Jany asked.

“Actually, I’m not sure what Discord’s doing. I think that he’s doing something else instead of helping us this year.”

“Oh, okay. I wonder what?” Jany pondered. Fluffball and Screwball walked up to the front door and Mothball stepped aside. Fluffball was wearing a fluffy pink dress and a pink hennin and holding her green trick-or-treating bag in her mouth.

“OH MY CELESTIA! JANY, YOU LOOK SO AMAZING!” Fluffball yelled.

“Thanks! And your princess costume looks so pretty! It looks way cooler than the ones in the store,” Jany complimented.

“My mom and I made it with our chaos magic!” Fluffball told her.

“I made mine with my magic, too! Now, let’s go and find Sun Ray and Cheeseball so we can go trick-or-treating!” Jany said.

“Yeah! Bye, Mommy, bye Daddy!” Fluffball said to her parents.

“Bye, Fluffy, Happy Nightmare Night!” Mothball put the bowl of candy he was holding on the ground in front of the door. It said “Take as many as you like”.

“Bye, Fluffball! Make sure to scare some little kids!” Screwball and Mothball started walking to the Castle of Chaos next door.

“Let’s go to Cheeseball’s house, now! Sun Ray is meeting us there,” Fluffball said.

“Yeah! And she’s gonna be so surprised that I decided to be Daybreaker!” Jany replied.

“Weren’t you going to be a candy pony?” Fluffball asked.

“Well it looked really weird so I changed my mind!” Jany explained, “Now, let’s teleport to his house! If we fly there, there won't be any candy left! Wait… Where is his house? Sun Ray never told us!”

“Huh… I have no idea,” Fluffball replied.

“Aw, now we do have to fly there! Wait, what if we make a portal to where Sun Ray is?” Jany suggested.

“That’s a great idea!” Fluffball agreed. Jany used her magic to make a portal in the air. They could see Sun Ray dressed as Nightmare Moon walking in Ponyville. Her younger twin siblings were walking behind her and they were dressed as Shadowbolts, the Nightmare version of the Wonderbolts.

“C’mon, Fluffball!” Jany jumped through the portal and Fluffball followed her. The portal closed and the cousins arrived in Ponyville.

“AAAAHHH!” Sun Ray and her siblings screamed. They all fell backwards when the two fillies appeared in front of them.

Jany and Fluffball started laughing hysterically and Sun Ray realized who they were, “Jany? Fluffball?”

“THAT WAS... SO FUNNY! WE WEREN’T... EVEN TRYING TO SCARE YOU,” Jany said between laughter.

“Wow, Jany, your costume is SO AWESOME! I didn’t know you were going as Daybreaker! We’re matching now!” Sun Ray said.

“WOAH! How does your mane look like fire!?” Thunderstrike asked.

“Is it real?” Lightningstrike asked. Jany chuckled, “No, I used my chaos magic to make it look like that.”

“My costume looks so lame compared to yours. You look like the real Daybreaker!” said Sun Ray.

“Yours looks cool, too,” Jany replied.

“Come on, guys! Let’s go to Cheeseball’s house!” Fluffball interrupted. Jany smirked and Sun Ray responded, “Yeah! His house is right over there.” Sun Ray led them to a nearby house. The house had a carrot garden growing in the front lawn, and the Jack-o-Lanterns at the front door had carrots sticking out of the top like horns.

“Okay, Fluffball and Jany, you guys hide so Cheeseball’s dad doesn’t see you. And Thunderstrike and Lightingstrike, don’t mention them!” Sun Ray said.

“Okay!” The twins replied. The chaotic cousins hid beside the house and Sun Ray knocked on the door.

“Nightmare Night! What a fright! Give us something sweet to bite!” Thunderstrike and Lightningstrike sang as the door opened.

“Happy Nightmare Night, everypony!” Nacho Cheese was dressed as a vampire and put candy in the three siblings’ bags, “Cheeseball and the twins are just in the living room! I’ll call them out.”

He turned away and called their names, and the Cheese siblings all ran outside to greet their best friends.

“Happy Nightmare Night, Sun Ray!” Cheeseball was dressed as a knight. He had a toy sword strapped on his side, and his “armor” was sparkly. Lucky and CC were both dressed as Shadowbolts, too, and they had fake wings strapped to their backs.

“You, too!” Sun Ray said. The two pairs of twins were giggling with each other and complimenting each other's costumes.

“Okay, kids, don’t stay out too late! And don’t go into the Everfree Forest. Even though it’s not as dangerous as it was when I was younger, there are still some evil ponies out there,” Cheeseball’s dad said.

“Evil ponies?” Thunderstrike asked.

“Yes. There’s an evil creature named Discord, who tried to take over Equestria years ago! He has chaos powers that he uses for evil, and so do his kids. One of his kids married an unreformed changeling! They all live in the Everfree Forest, and try to kidnap little foals at night!”

“WHAT!?” Thunderstrike and Lightningstrike shrieked. They were hugging each other and shaking.

“Be safe, kids! And do not set hoof in the forest!” He warned.

“Okay. Bye, Daddy. Happy Nightmare Night!” Lucky said. Nacho Cheese shut the door and the Dash twins were still holding each other in fear.

“Guys, none of that was true. Discord is Fluffball and Jany’s grandpa!” Sun Ray told them. They stopped shaking and looked at each other.

“Oh,” Lightningstrike said. The twins stopped hugging and stood up.

“Yeah! Stop being such babies,” CC teased, looking at Thunderstrike. Lucky stood in front of the green pegasi defensively.

“Hey! Lightningstrike isn’t a baby! You are,” Lucky said in an angry manner.

“No, you are!” CC yelled. The earth pony twins started arguing back and forth.

“Cut it out, you guys!” Cheeseball snapped. His sisters immediately stopped their bickering.

“Sorry, Cheeseball,” They said simultaneously.

“Now, CC, say sorry to your friends,” Cheeseball said. CC turned to Thunderstrike and Lightningstrike.

“Sorry, guys,” CC said. Fluffball and Jany got out of their hiding spot and went to their friends.

Cheeseball complimented Fluffball’s princess costume, “Wow, you look so pretty.” Fluffball blushed and replied, “Thanks. You look really handsome.” Cheeseball blushed as well. And that wasn’t the last time either of them blushed that night.

“I’M TELLING DAD!” Lucky yelled.

“Oooooh you’re gonna get busted!” CC said. Cheeseball scowled and turned to his sisters, “You can’t tell Dad! Besides, if I get in trouble, then I can’t take you guys trick-or-treating!”

“Huh. I guess that’s true,” Lucky sighed, “Also wow, Cheeseball’s friend, your costume looks so cool!”

“Thanks!” Jany replied.

“Where did you get it?” CC asked.

“I made it with my chaos magic,” Jany told her.

“Chaos magic? Are you one of the evil Discord things that our dad told us about?” Lucky questioned.

“Uhhhh…” Jany didn’t know how to answer that.

“They aren’t evil, and you know that. Now, let’s go trick-or-treating! The candy is probably almost all gone by now!” Cheeseball said.

“YEAH!” The four foals exclaimed. They all started galloping ahead and their older siblings and their friends followed.

The eight ponies went door to door asking for candy, and Jany got compliments on her costume and extra candy at each house. When they finished the last house, they all went to the Ponyville town square for the annual Nightmare Night carnival. There were games like bobbing for apples, throw the pumpkins in the cauldron, whack-a-zombie, and much more. There were also rides like the Skele-Coaster, the Haunted Ferris Wheel, and the Apple Family’s Corn Maze.

“So, what should we do first?” Sun Ray asked as they arrived at the carnival.

“LET’S GO ON THE SKELE-COASTER!” Thunderstrike shouted.

“Yeah!” Lightningstrike, Lucky, and CC agreed.

“Are you guys even tall enough to ride that? It’s a big kids ride. You guys should go on the Haunted Ferris Wheel,” Cheeseball said.

“No! We’re big kids!” Lucky protested.

“Well, let’s see if you’re tall enough to ride,” Cheeseball compromised. The younger foals started cheering and they all started walking towards the Skele-Coaster. It was a large rollercoaster with a giant skeleton in the middle. The wooden structure holding up the ride was painted to look like bones.

“Ooh, what if I use my magic to give us all free tickets,” Jany smirked mischievously.

“Won’t we get in trouble?” Cheeseball asked.

“Don’t worry, chaos magic is perfectly reliable!” Jany reassured him. Suddenly, everypony had 50 black-and-orange tickets in their bags of candy.

“YAY!” the younger foals cheered.

“Wow, this is awesome! Thanks, Jany,” Sun Ray thanked her.

“You’re welcome!” Jany replied. The friends all went in line for the rollercoaster.

The line for the rollercoaster wasn’t that long, and the eight ponies all reached the front of the line pretty quickly. Near the entrance to the ride, there was a wooden sign with a skeleton of a pony on it, and it said “You must be this tall to ride” on the top of its head. The skeleton was around the height of Jany, the shortest of the older kids.

“Okay, guys, you have to measure yourselves on that sign,” Sun Ray told her and Cheeseball’s siblings. Lucky, the tallest of the four (by just a little), stood in front of the sign. She was shorter than the requirement by about 5 inches.

“You’re too short, Lucky. And the others are shorter than you, so they won’t meet the height, either,” Cheeseball said.

“NOOOO!!!!” Lucky whined.

“I really wanted to go on it!” Lightningstrike said.

“Me, too,” Thunderstrike and CC said at the same time.

“Well, you can’t. And we’re almost at the front of the line, so you guys should go on the Haunted Ferris Wheel!” Cheeseball said.

“Okay…” Lucky replied reluctantly. The four foals all walked away from the line and towards the small Ferris wheel.

Author's Note:

Thanks so much for reading! I'm going to be gone for a few weeks, so there's going to be a hiatus. I hope you liked the chapter!

Edit:
I am making a comic adaption of this story! Read it here!